Sign in to follow this  
basinox

Community list of suggestions for stats/abilities/spawns for existing items

If you want to suggest new items you should try: Equipeble item Master list, Suggest an item thread or Suggested weapon.

I mostly aim to Improve the usefulness of the loot you find through the game and to make balance some items so it's more a chose which one to use. This list will be updated with interesting ideas from around to forum with links to their topics.

How this will work

I will mostly try to post suggestions from the community for all types of items except for guns and their ammo. I don't know jack shit about guns and want to be able to review your suggestion if it is realistic or not.
example: no sonic or laser upgrade for the screwdrivers.
For anything ells I will most likely put it on the list until requested to be taken off again.
Also if one of these Ideas has already been suggested please post the address so that person can have the honor he deserves.

A | between 2 sentences means that they are different ideas for the same item that don't really go well together.

Green = added
orange = Priority

List:

Blunt weapons
General: Increased chance of breaking bones.
Baseball Bat: Increased accuracy. Able to be charged for a knock out hit or a killing blow.
Shovel: More likely to knock people out. Slightly increased range.
Crowbar: Increase body hits to kill from 3 to 2. | Able to be crafted with duct-tape to increase damage and speed.

Bladed weapons
All types of Knives: Able to cut meat when hunting is implanted with varying effectiveness. Increased blood damage and always leaves the target bleeding unless he wears a good type of protection. Original
Machete: Highly increase damage and speed. needs a more weapon like fighting animation: currently looks like fist fighting.

Headgear:
Sunglasses: Slightly lowers the brightness of the players view. Cracks are visible in Ruined state and show a similar effect on screen. Original
Bandanna's: Allow to be worn under other clothing. Original

Cooking Pan: Allow to wear as a Helmet.

Torso:
Down Jacket: Increase item slots to 4. slightly reduces bleeding chance from knives.
Hoodie: Decrease item slots to 3.

Legs:
Hiking Boots and Low Hiking Boots: Increase speed when running uphill but decrease speed otherwise. | Jogging possible Uphill. Original
Athletic Boots and Jogging Boots: Slightly faster on roads
Combat Boots and Military Boots: Slightly faster on grass.
Working Boots: Less chance of Breaking your feet when falling.
Wellies and Jungle Boots: Normal speed in shallow water. | Get worn out faster when sprinting on land.
All shoes except for the Wellies and Jungle: Slightly decreased speed in shallow water. | Get worn out faster when running through water.

Other:
Rope: Can be used to weaker handcuffs or to either pull or hang people. Original Original
Stone: Can be thrown. Can be used as the most basic way to open cans, By beating the crap out of it.
Water Bottle and Canteen: can be polluted with Tincture and can be emptied.
All drinking items: slowly leak when badly damaged.
Canned food: Slowly loses food when opened in a storage, This is increased when the storage item becomes wet.
Matches: Become ruined when they become wet.
Books: Can be burned. The first page can be written on with a Pen.
Spray paint: able to paint more items. Allows you to spray massages at walls. Original
Defibrillator: Able to deal damage to people who aren't unconscious.
Blood Bag: Can be marked with a Pen. Original
All types of pills: Are stackable.
Sewing kit: Requires rags to function.
Blood Test Kit: Can be used on Blood Bags.
Syringes, morphine and epinephrine: can be stacked in stacks of 3.
Screwdriver: Can be used to repair weapons with a chance of making their condition worst.
Rags: Can be used for a surrender animation.
First Aid Kit: Lower the chance of having blood test related items and Tincture alcohol added to possible loot inside. Original
Paper: Indicator to see if its written on or not. Original Original
Handcuffs: Allows to crawl when handcuffed with broken legs. Original
Sticks: Can be harvest from small trees with a axe. Original
Rocks: can be harvest from bigger rocks. Original
Duck tape: Able to mute people when sticks on their mouth.

Sewing kit: Allows to stitch wounds.

Crafting ideas:
Matches + Rags or Sticks + Wood = A small fire.
Books + Knife = A secret 1 slot item or pistol hiding place. Original
Blood bag + Paper = A blood bag where you can write on. Original

Duck tape + two 30 mags = A 60 mag speed reload.

Spawn Changes:
Firefighter Axe: Decrease spawn rate in most buildings. Increase spawn rate in Fire Station.
First Aid Kit: Decrease spawn rate in Residential Buildings. Highly increase spawn rate in All Medical Buildings, Workshops and Governmental buildings (Schools, Fire station, etc.).
Children's School Backpack: highly Increase spawn rate in Schools. Increase spawn rate in Houses.
Motor Bike Helmet: Decrease spawn rate overall.
Hard Hat: Highly Increased spawn rate in Building sites. Increase spawn rate Industrial buildings. Decrease spawn rate in all other places besides Residential Buildings.
Canned food: Increase spawn rate in Residential Buildings, Supermarkets and Warehouses. Decrease spawn rate in all other places besides camps and Prisons.
Fruit: Increase spawn rate in Schools and camps. Make apples spawn under trees.
Sticks: Add spawn's in forests.
Rocks: Add spawn around other rocks.

Edited by basinox
  • Like 5

I'd like to see sunglasses actually reduce the lense flare and light beam effects when you're facing the sun. Would be incredibly useful for sniping and counter sniping and just..seeing towards that direction at all lol.

Spray-paint hardhats? Gasmask? >.>

What about using duct-tape to upgrade the crowbar? Giving it a "grip" per say, to allow for harder more steady swinging? Increasing it's shock/unconsciousness damage or potential to break bones.
(Melee weapons in general I feel need to be looked at. It's either a fireaxe or your fists or gtfo as far as usefulness. But I am not sure that balance is what you're thread is about .>.>)

Did you ever play the Resident Evil remake on Gamecube? It had a really interesting system for defensive weapons---Little shivs, screw drivers, tasers, and the like. You would equip them as a defensive weapon, and when attacked your character would automatically thrust it into the zombie to get it off you. It would destroy the item though, or deplete the battery in the case of the taser. Not sure if it's right for DayZ as I can't see an application against other players being easy to work out.. but I really liked it!

Edited by Rudette
  • Like 1

Balance is one of the main aims of this topic. And I think the resident evil thing would be a little bit unrealistic so I let that part out.

Edited by basinox

Ah! okies! Good!

Well, then melee weapons really need work!

Knives aren't stabby enough. Have you ever tried to kill someone with a knife? It's time to kill is laughably low. If I put 10 stab wounds in a guy he should be in shock twitching on the ground and bleeding out! Not punching me twice in the head and knocking me out. 3-5 good stabs with a high rate of attack would be nice. Machete? 2-3 good swings.

Blunt weapons need analyzing. Hammers, Wrenches, Crowbars and the like---heavy things---should have high chances of breaking bones. Baseball bats and shovels would be geared towards knocking people out easier.

Fists... I Don't know. I kind of feel like fists need nerfing or other melee weapons need to be brought in line with them and the fireaxe in some way.

Not everything can be as a great as a fire axe, no, but they don't have to be so useless.

Edited by Rudette
  • Like 1

Suggestions have been added and added a few that these gave me myself.

I'll shoot. Brainstorming session go!

• Rope as makeshift handcuffs.
  • Duct-tape + flashlight = makeshift weapon attachment
  • Duct-tape + kitchen-knife/machete = makeshift bayonet
  • Duct-tape + twigs = duct-tape brace
  • Defibrillator as a makeshift torture device (damages health)
  • Milk powder + water bottle/canteen = Delicious milk (no more dehydrating effect)
  • Sewing kit + stick = fishing! (needle as makeshift hook, thread as makeshift fishing line, stick as makeshift fishing pole)
  • Sewing kits consume rags when patching
  • Rags can be equipped for surrender animation
  • Matches + rags/sticks + wood  = starts a fire
  • Either a pillbox, or all types of pills as stackable (limit: 3) in the inventory (ie: charcoal tablets, painkillers, water purification tablets, vitamins, antibiotics, etc)
  • Blood test kits, epinepherine pens, syringes, and morphine auto-injectors as stackable (limit: 3) in the inventory.
  • Blood test kit + blood bag = can test blood inside a particular blood bag
  • Pen + book = special note inside the front cover (signed copy, anyone?)
  • Pen + blood bag = can mark a blood bag with a particular blood type
  • Wrench and/or screwdriver = makeshift weapon repairs
  • Running shoes = jogging/running on roads is slightly faster
  • Combat boots = jogging/running on terrain is slightly faster
  • Hiking boots = jogging is now possible on steeper terrain
  • Workboots = far less chance of breaking bones when falling
  • Regular sneakers = quieter walking sounds
  • Eat/drink-until-consumed (or stuffed) feature, with possible interrupt
  • Walking possible when changing inventory items
  • Certain items add noise when moving 
  • Ruined sunglasses are cracked / shattered
  • Less weight leads to less labored breathing and/or faster stamina recovery
  • Damaged sodas/bottles/canteens leak liquid over time
  • Can equip canned items and proceed to beat it against objects until it busts open (vast majority spills)

All I got for now.

Edited by carcinovich
  • Like 3

Added most of the suggestions. Only the ones that would require a new item or count for all items are excluded.

Edited by basinox

Bump. Updated with a new subcategory and a few suggestions from the community. Original leads you to the topic where it has been discussed.

Edited by basinox

beanz. the leg part is very important. im waiting for the noiselevel.

and im sure they get a worn out system in the future.

for example: you cant get sick from wellies. but you feel worn out faster when you sprint with them.

• Like 1

@nicko2580: Added suggestion.

@Kenny Kyle: great idea, added

and we need this little clip(or duct tape) to craft a 60 mag out of two 30 mags.

im sure it will come soon. but i need it NOW :D

• Like 1

Knives aren't stabby enough. Have you ever tried to kill someone with a knife?

Fortunately not, and the longer I read this forum, the more worried I get...

Regarding ropes I'd rather see implementet that you need one in order to hang an axe (or which item ever) around your shoulder, instead of hanging somebody. Hanging people should never ever be added to the game.

Same goes with setting people on fire. No way!

Long ass list of suggestions inbound:

Fire and burns should be a thing, in my opinion. If you step in a campfire or a molotov explodes next to you, you should be running/flailing/rolling around and trying to put it out. That being said, it might be taking things a bit too far to allow molotovs and fire torture; maybe simply leave this as an environmental effect, which requires medical treatment once burns occur.

Snow should be collectible in a canteen, then left for an extended period or used in conjunction with a campfire to create water. Seperate stage for boiling to purify.

Tranquilisers. Period of unconsciousness is determined by how healthy the character is. Excessive tranquiliser dosage may lead to sickness or death, perhaps? Tranquiliser darts could also be smeared with rotten food to cause sickness, or berries to cause poisoning. In theory, you could also treat bullets this way, but balancing that might prove to be a bit of an issue.

Acids could also make an appearance as a means of ruining items. If you come across a bandit/player you don't like and knock them unconscious, you could treat their weapons with acid to render them unusable if you can't carry them.

Bedrolls and blankets should be added, possibly also swags once we have vehicles. All sleeping utilities should be subject to weather damage when laid out, and the player should be subject to environmental factors when using them. For example, sleeping in pouring rain is very likely to make your character sick and drop their temperature to potentially lethal levels. Swags would provide some protection against the weather.

Not directly related to item suggestions, but the player should be able to throw items in their shirt/pants pockets away on the run, simply pulling them out and chucking them to one side/over a shoulder.

Not sure if this has been added or not, but in the event the damage system gets a revamp, heavily bleeding wounds should require stitching with a sewing kit. This would not need to track the number of times a person has been shot or struck, but simply track the severity of their bleed debuff and provide the option to stitch the wound once a certain threshold is passed.

Chalk. Let us draw arrows and the like on roads, and add murals into the game - if not the same sort of tag-upload system as the L4D series has. I really want to see this in the game. Limit it in the same sort of way Dark Souls does their orange soapstone messages if you stick to words and symbols. Rain washes away chalk, naturally.

Add snow shoes and make travel on snow somewhat slower, particularly during snowstorms.

If animals are added as more than a meat farm, give us snakes we can milk for venom. Tranquiliser darts could be filled with it, or the player could treat their bladed melee weapons with it to significantly amp up the threat they pose to zombies and each other.

Whips could be added as a crude means of creating loud noises and attracting zombies.

Add rope-and-hook implements that can be thrown over low-hanging walls or structures and used to climb if they possess a lip. Shallow lips have a chance on every movement tick to come loose, with obvious repercussions.

If zombie bodies end up being persistent, make them draggable. A group could pile zombie bodies to create a makeshift barricade for PvP or to limit zombie movement during city raids/scavenging runs.

Decorative items could be added once bases are implemented to add a bit of character to your structure.

Factories could be revamped to have functions, allowing players to repair/interact with equipment therein to perform functions that are otherwise impossible. The main thing I'm thinking with this one is a metalwork factory; while guns and bullets are not and should not ever be craftable (nobody's going to have molds in an apocalypse), you could create makeshift reinforcements for melee weapons (metal caps on the end of a stick/staff, for example), repair simple metal-based items and such. Naturally, you'd want a group for this sort of activity, given factories make quite a bit of noise.

When vehicles are implemented, allow car doors to be removed (driving past an object/corner with a door open, or using a melee weapon/tool of some sort) and used as makeshift barricades or shields; you can knock zombies or players down while running at them with one, and (correct me if I'm wrong here) block weak weapons such as pistols with them. Obviously they would also prove useful for fending off a few strikes with a melee weapon, giving a chance for said weapon to get stuck and require effort to remove - and therefore, to be torn from the grip of your attacker if you then choose to move quickly enough.

Also, I want to see swords in the game. I have an irrational and overpowering attraction to long-bladed weapons in any game I play, regardless of genre. They need to be implemented. Now.
>.>

• Like 2

@wolfguarde: Added all the suggestion about existing items. You can suggest the new items here: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/170636-master-list-of-equipable-items-the-community-wants-in-the-game/

@Nicko2580: some as for wolfguarde.

@Kenny Kyle: Added.

Also added a fun suggestion from a friend.

Edited by basinox

Wolfguarde - I like some of your ideas man. 

Tranquillisers particularly. They could be found in hospitals in pill form and also in Vet clinics in civ areas in a pistol or rifle form. 

Heavy wounds and stitching is a good one, but might be hard to balance properly. The machete should cause wounds that require stitches. 

Fire and burns I definitely see as something cool to add. You would need wet rags or burn cream & bandages to treat them, with wet rags obviously carrying the chance of infections. 

A couple of things I don't like though - I don't want to see sleeping added to the game. I think that's simulated well enough when you log out, but I would like an item, like a bedroll, that I can lay out and use to log out safely (instead of your character being left logged in for 30 seconds, it logs you out instantly if you use the safe item, just make it impossible to use when there is a player/zombie within say 50m to prevent combat logging). And I'd like the ability to make a campsite just for aesthetic purposes and for cooking food and keeping as a base for exploration etc.  

Factories I don't think should work. I'd personally rather stay away from too much of that type of thing. That's just my opinion though. I'd rather see things that require electricity being restricted to batteries (or maybe eventually a small fuel powered generator) only. 

And finally a car door won't stop a .45 or .357. It'll go straight through it like it's paper. Not certain about a 9mm. About the only thing a car door might stop is a .22.