Spesago

Identifying other players

Anything other then nametags can be copied/faked.

Yep. And it must be so. Player can kill in battle enemy squad member and steal its uniform, bandanas etc. More tactical variety in game. If other members are a such stupid, that don't see (or hear) some differences, then they deserved to die, imho.

considering the usual equipment everybody in this game seems to try to wear, lets take a look at "real life" conditions..:

VSwd6HT.jpg

can you tell me which of the persons in the picture is the glasswearing ginger, and which is the rastafari?

seriously though, the clothing system already makes a good promise of high diversity. if you have similarly clothed people, friendly fire will occur, as expected. i dont think we should take this - very real - element out of the game. it would "dumb it down".

Easy. Guy with the finger on the trigger is the Ginger and the Rastafari is the guy on the right behind the guy on the coms.

We all know Gingers have it hard hence the finger on the trigger and the Rastafari well hes the stoner in the back ground looking at nothing with his gun not at the ready..

Your point is invalid.

Seriously though, just wait for more clothing...

Edited by RyBo

Easy with the "deserve" gregor, visuals are too limited for positive id.

Valid point RyBo, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Again, this should be so. Exactly for this purpose the walkie talkies are intended. And, a very good suggestion about "clothes and stuff"...

7 Points on Body to tie rags :

buddy0_zpsd16ad703.png

Rags can be a number of colours, say white, red, blue, green. This gives multiple ways of positioning say up to 2 rags in certain colours. This will allow groups to be able to identify each other,however visible checks still needed. Players can also be crafty and carry rags they can change out to slip into other groups....

buddy1_zps58b49f3d.png

buddy2_zpse063a55d.png

TL;DR, nametags after handshake.

Here's my word on nametags...

I don't care how good your computer/monitor is, it's impossible to identify a person past 10 meters (and I'm being very generous). In a videogame most, if not all character models have the same body type, height, weight, and animations.

I hate using this phrase towards games, but in the real world you can identify someone you know from pretty far away because of the things I mentioned above. "That's Billy, I'd recognize that potbelly, bow-legged guy anywhere!" "Susie's over there with her petite frame and spunky walk." Everyone has their own telltale traits that can never, and will never be portrayed in the game.

Sure more options for customization will help, but it won't solve this issue. There will always be limitations in games that will result in people having very similar configurations.

So here's my suggestion,

Add a new action to initiate a handshake with someone, which will activate nametags between you two. These don't have to be game-breakingly huge flashing nametags viewable for miles... Just something subtle at moderate ranges, and only on mouse-over.

I feel this will add a lot of interaction in game and make things more personal, and balance out what can't be replicated from real-life.

Imagine strolling through town and seeing someone, you say "Hello!" and extend your hand to greet them, not knowing if you'll live past this moment.

Edited by InTheCatBoxAgain
  • Like 1

Add a new action to initiate a handshake with someone, which will activate nametags between you two. These don't have to be game-breakingly huge flashing nametags viewable for miles... Just something subtle at moderate ranges, and only on mouse-over.

It should not rely on a handshake. If I see someone's face, I should be able to recognize them later whether they "agree" to it or not. This is critical, because part of the point of the system should be identifying potential enemies, not just friends.

I also don't think it should be nametags. Just because you recognize someone doesn't mean you know what name they're called. Just a subtle on screen indicator that "this is a person you have seen before" and some way to tell what you remember about them.

Please take a look at and comment on these threads. Not only are they in the Suggestions forum which is a more appropriate place to have this discussion, but we've been over a lot of this already, and there are sample screenshots:

This post in particular speaks directly to your concerns about facial recognition ranges and graphics hardware capability (incidentally, we agree - I don't think in-game facial features properly recreate human facial recognition which is possible at over 100m).

Name tags in form of dog tags or sewn on patches (either with your name or just some symbol) to your clothes, yes definitely. That would be kind of neat. But not something that shows your name (or affiliation) hovering above you. I'm sure that it will be easier to identify your friends by their clothes once there are more clothing in the game.

Other than that... try using VOIP, you ought to recognize your friends' voices.

Once the Walkie Talkie are in place and working, this may help some of the friend/squad play recognition.  Hopefully.. in the meantime, our clanmates and I make sure we all have something visibly recognizible to each eachother.  At the present state of the game, this is quite limited, but a few of us that run together have gone away from teh TTsKO gear all together, and no Ballistic helmets, etc.  This has made things easier in the meantime until we get more options. 

As far as the discussion about the over-the-head names, no thanks.. unless they make a way for it to pop over your squadmates head only.  Open to trying it out tho..