Cracky (DayZ)

Reconize

Hi all,

It would be nice when you can mark someone as friendly or bad, in reallife you know people faces.

Just a mark from close range so you know someone from before the next time.

its not a friendlist or guild/clan list, just a mark

Unwillingly,this may be an important subject and needs to be fixed pronto.

Firstly let's say for example there is a guy that treated you in a bad way,if you see him again you wouldn't indetify him because all the models are the same and there is absolutely nothing to seperate one player from another,no name tags no nothing.I can't think of something that will fix this issue and not take away from the Dayz experience.One way would be to have a more in debth charachter customization.And i don't think that's a far-away dream.With the current funds they posses i presume it's do-able.

Ability to mark players: Nope

Ability to mark characters: Maybe, but only close range (or if you have zoomed in close enough)

I'd still prefer a solution without any name-tags floating in the air. I like the idea of not being able to identify players (or characters) if they haven't talked to you.

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of tags/names/any other form of HUD identification for players. I like DayZ's lack of HUD, it adds to the immersion and realism of things.

A more in-depth character creator would allow people to make their characters more unique in appearance and therefore more identifiable, although for that to really work the character creation would have to be a one-time-only thing otherwise people would simply change their appearance every time they are killed.

• Like 3

I don't like the idea of tags/names/any other form of HUD identification for players. I like DayZ's lack of HUD, it adds to the immersion and realism of things.

It really doesn't, though. In reality, you can recognize other humans when you look at them.

No amount of increased character creation options will ever compensate for this. It would require a facial customization system the likes of which the game industry has never seen before to achieve the kind of facial feature variety that would be necessary to achieve anything even remotely akin to actual human facial recognition.

Lack of HUD is nice, I agree, but it has to be balanced. Games are limited to two senses and HUDs can make up for the lack of the others by providing quick information that would come from our emotions or bodily sense organs. The silly "I'm kinda hungry" messages are what you get when you try to stick a "no HUD" policy even when a HUD is the best available solution to a problem. I think rocket realized this, which is why we now have a HUD back for hunger and thirst (even though it's on your inventory screen).

To OP:Please take the time to read and carefully consider my suggestion for a player identification and classification system.

It is a proposal to allow you to "Remember" faces you have seen, and to do so in a way that's authentic and "realistic."

• Like 2

Imo they should add the option that you can be in a group (with no visual teammate ui with hp ect, but just a list) from a distance you cant tell who he is and when he gets in range (have no idea what this range should be) you could "see" their face and recognize the person and get a name above their head, when they move out of that said range or sight for a while the marker drops again.

Ofcourse this all would need fine tuning with ideas of other people.

Edited by Chauz

I don't think we need anything like this. I think it will become easier to tell players apart over time as more clothing, backpacks and weapons are added.

I don't think we need anything like this. I think it will become easier to tell players apart over time as more clothing, backpacks and weapons are added.

So if you see someone murdering someone one day, and then you see the same person a week later, you're going to recognize them by the hat they're wearing?

I really don't think that works.

So if you see someone murdering someone one day, and then you see the same person a week later, you're going to recognize them by the hat they're wearing?

I really don't think that works.

You don't remember everyone you see anyway. Just because you've seen someone once doesn't mean that you'd definitely recognise them a week later.

You don't remember everyone you see anyway. Just because you've seen someone once doesn't mean that you'd definitely recognise them a week later.

Let me check out the murders face up close, hold my beer..

• Like 1

I've never seen anyone shoot another human being in their face, but I am willing to wager if I did I would probably commit their face to memory for a few days at least.

Let me check out the murders face up close, hold my beer..

Binoculars, long range scopes, etc.

I've never seen anyone shoot another human being in their face, but I am willing to wager if I did I would probably commit their face to memory for a few days at least.

Binoculars, long range scopes, etc.

If you would implement this then you would also have to put a marker on someone that for examples wears the same clothes or (bike)helmet. This would mean in the endgame when everything is added and people gear up the best stuff everyone would look the same and you just use a gasmask for example to cover your face and prevent someone from remembering your face. Or now you could also just wear a mask and switch clothes so often.

This would mean in the endgame when everything is added and people gear up the best stuff everyone would look the same and you just use a gasmask for example to cover your face and prevent someone from remembering your face. Or now you could also just wear a mask and switch clothes so often.

Absolutely! That's actually one of the awesome secondary benefits of a system such as this.

Right now, masks are nothing but cutesy decorations. They're otherwise meaningless.

If it were actually possible to recognize faces, suddenly masks take on a whole new value and an entirely different meaning. It's a concerted effort by someone to conceal their identity. And, to me, that says something about their intentions.

Rather than a bandit skin which is forcibly applied by an artificial system of judgment, this system is entirely in the hands of players. Do you choose to wear a mask because you're afraid someone will remember you? If you see a player wearing  mask, what do you think that says about them and their intentions towards you and other players? Personally, I would assume the worst. If you're wearing a mask, it means you're planning to do something you don't want to be remembered by.

Maybe you purposefully leave your face uncovered to reassure players? I disagree that "everyone" would simply wear masks. I think a lot of people would refuse to conceal their identity as a means to let people know that they have nothing to hide.

I think this is fantastic. It's just the kind of player-driven system that belongs in DayZ. No magical faeries telling you who is good and who is bad. No artificial "skin" applied to people because of their behavior. Real human choices and real human judgment using your own powers of observation, intuition and wisdom built from experience.

Plus, it's a reason to stay alive. The longer you live, the more you have witnessed, the more knowledge you have. It's something you carry with your character besides guns and food. A reason to actually care about your life beyond loot and map position.

• Like 3

No amount of increased character creation options will ever compensate for this. It would require a facial customization system the likes of which the game industry has never seen before to achieve the kind of facial feature variety that would be necessary to achieve anything even remotely akin to actual human facial recognition.

I'm guessing you've not played Eve Online then, the character creator in that is phenomenal.

But I get the points you're making, they make sense now you've made them.

If you are able to zoom into a character's face and then tag that face (Bad/Good etc) it wouldn't be a bad system, but only if the Tag you placed became visible when you were able to get a good look at their face again.

In all likelihood though by the time you were close enough to see their face the second time you'd be dead anyway.

Absolutely! That's actually one of the awesome secondary benefits of a system such as this.

Right now, masks are nothing but cutesy decorations. They're otherwise meaningless.

If it were actually possible to recognize faces, suddenly masks take on a whole new value and an entirely different meaning. It's a concerted effort by someone to conceal their identity. And, to me, that says something about their intentions.

Rather than a bandit skin which is forcibly applied by an artificial system of judgment, this system is entirely in the hands of players. Do you choose to wear a mask because you're afraid someone will remember you? If you see a player wearing  mask, what do you think that says about them and their intentions towards you and other players? Personally, I would assume the worst. If you're wearing a mask, it means you're planning to do something you don't want to be remembered by.

Maybe you purposefully leave your face uncovered to reassure players? I disagree that "everyone" would simply wear masks. I think a lot of people would refuse to conceal their identity as a means to let people know that they have nothing to hide.

I think this is fantastic. It's just the kind of player-driven system that belongs in DayZ. No magical faeries telling you who is good and who is bad. No artificial "skin" applied to people because of their behavior. Real human choices and real human judgment using your own powers of observation, intuition and wisdom built from experience.

Plus, it's a reason to stay alive. The longer you live, the more you have witnessed, the more knowledge you have. It's something you carry with your character besides guns and food. A reason to actually care about your life beyond loot and map position.

Yeah after I posted that I was already thinking not a bad idea  :P

I would prefer more face/beard/hair type stuff

I second that. 

More natural features for your character would be more realistic. And would allow us to spot Steak N' Taters and Hetty

I would prefer more face/beard/hair type stuff

It`s logical that all men would wear beards in a Zomby Apocalipse scenario, all would look the same then, beards dont solve this recognition problem. 

A tag apearing at close range, or when zoomed in on some one is viable imo.

what about some kind of individualising your outfit? something like spraying with stencyls made of paper on shirts/helmets with spraypaint? stencyls could be something like the individual emblems in bf4 or just letters. clans could have a logo, medics could have a red cross, individual players could have theire names on it.

Any form of unique feature, like tags, patches, armbands, with the ability to add your own design, thats recognition!

Well, this is not needed and it's unrealistic at all. Take your time to tell each other what you are wearing or take your time to have a look.

To me its only an issue unless the dsync problem with other players is fixed. Killed my mate once(I knew how she was looking) only because she got teleported on my screen and I lost the orientation

Edited by deewd22