Tatanko

The Guide to Billboards

As promised, I finally threw together a guide to every billboard you may come across in Chernarus. The translations I'm including were done over a year ago, and I do not natively speak Czech or Russian, so anyone that does please feel free to correct me on these. I'll include a link to the Imgur gallery as well in case you'd prefer to view it in that format or want a higher-res version of a particular billboard. Enjoy :)

http://imgur.com/a/WoT8s

Alkohol?!

MmeEu8Zl.jpg

Translation: "Alcohol!? No, I'd rather read this book!"

Beach Ad

kVwUpRyl.jpg

Translation: "MALDEN - Come to us!"

Beer Ad

fc8j28cl.jpg

Translation: "Thirsty Sweet Tooth -- IMPORTED SLOVAK BEER * SINCE 1999"

This beer is a reference to a real Slovak beer named Smädný mních (Thirsty Monk).

Cigarette Ad

OTKbkPkl.jpg

Translation: "Černomorky! Always her! -- GERNOMORKANAL"

Reference to the Belomorkanal brand of cigarettes.

Escape from Kolgujev

XkZ5Jjyl.jpg

Translation: "Premier - Ranger Cinema - August 8th 2009 at 6:30pm"

Mentions fake companies/brands at the bottom including: Miromax (Miramax), HPO (HBO), Fujyfilm (Fujifilm), and Dolpy Digital (Dolby Digital)

Has the following fake cast: Boris Ebul, Ray Moneypenny, Joe Hlad, Grigori Martinez with direction and a special appearance by Andrew Shatterhand

Everon

B1Xh3G3l.jpg

Translation: "NATURE - TRADITION - GOAT CHEESE"

Florist Ad

Rsf9Ndel.jpg

Translation: "Flowers and Gardening Tools"

"Cibulka" means "bulb" (like a plant).

Kids With Ice Cream

LID6LGMl.jpg

Translation: "Ice Cream of the Future"

This slogan is possibly a play on the same slogan used by American ice cream company Dippin' Dots.

Megakoncert '02

csZv68el.jpg

Translation: "Nestor nogovského (?) pop plays his greatest hits! -- August 8th, 2009 at 7:00pm - FACTORY CLUB TEZ CHERNOGORSK - FACTORY CLUB TEC CHERNOGORSK"

Pizza Presto

BrUk5dhl.jpg

The billboard says "www.pizzapresto.cs" at the bottom, referencing the actual website for an actual restaurant in Mníšek pod Brdy in the Czech Republic (pizzapresto.cz).

The .cs extension is meant to imply Chernarus, but was once used for Czechoslovakia prior to the dissolution of that country.

Political Ad #1

SlB4eUdl.jpg

Translation: "Everything we do, we do for you. -- Alexander Baranov -- Party Elects New Order (Elect the New Order Party)"

Political Ad #2

YNMDd9kl.jpg

Translation: "ELECT ChDKZ -- VOTE CHERNARUSIAN MOVEMENT OF THE RED STAR (ChDKZ)"

Recruitment Ad

b48dNMkl.jpg

Translation: "Save Your Homeland -- ( Protect your ground! ) -- Armed Forces [of] Chernarus -- ( Chernarusian Armed Forces)"

Sahrani

dc1Fhv5l.jpg

Translation: "Sahrani - Paradise just a flight away..."

Soda Ad

hrdbrNsl.jpg

Translation: "Žlutá Žgrynda -- ...now with raspberry and lemonade (?) flavors!"

The "Kolaloka" flavor of Zluta soda is a reference to the Czech movie Limonádový Joe (Lemonade Joe) which parodies the Western genre of films from the US.

Spirits Ad #1

mqlV7mgl.jpg

Translation: "Liquor Bardak (?) [FUCKUP Liquor] -- Clean Your Pipes -- (BARDAK (?))"

Spirits Ad #2

EdZhXKPl.jpg

Translation: "Traditional Chernarusskya vodka. -- From alcohol plant - Bardak and sons."

Toilet Paper Ad

HdooWnbl.jpg

Translation: "ARMASAN -- toilet paper -- solid and traditional"

This ad is a reference to the real Slovak brand of toilet paper, Harmasan.

Tractor Ad

u4LXkvNl.jpg

Translation: "TOZER - SEEDER FOR THE NEW MILLENNIUM -- 76 Liberty Street - Elektrozavodsk - tel/fax: 578944325 -- www.nove-stroje.cs"

Woman With Frying Pan

eHb0Owcl.jpg

Translation: "Aluminum cookware for every household!"

-------------------

Big thank you to Death By Crowbar, Yazar8, nillie, Lord Roro, and everyone else who assisted me in putting together this collection!

Thanks to shaggy16 for the additional translation/references!
Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 20

Mentions fake companies/brands at the bottom including: Miromax (Miramax), HPO (?), Fujyfilm (Fujifilm), and Dolpy Digital (Dolby Digital)

I'd say HPO is probably a parody of HBO. :lol:

:thumbsup:  Brilliant post!! I'll never look at these adds the same way!! :D

Edited by Odin Lowe
  • Like 3

Mentions fake companies/brands at the bottom including: Miromax (Miramax), HPO (?), Fujyfilm (Fujifilm), and Dolpy Digital (Dolby Digital)

I'd say HPO is probably a parody of HBO. :lol:

:thumbsup:  Brilliant post!! I'll never look at them the same!! :D

Oh, duh. Thanks for pointing that out! :p

That is some awesome work Tatanko.

I have been wondering when we would see this!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks!

So much curiosity satisfied in one place.

Well done!

:beans: :beans: :beans:

Didn't they have some Zulta Cola or some drink like that shortly after release?  Did it get removed?

I never realized how many different ones there are, until I saw them all here, together. Thanks for going above and beyond by providing the translations. I had always planned to write down the text of these signs and dump it into Google Translate, but I figured that I would be shot in the back of the head, before I found a pen and piece of paper.

Thanks a bunch!

I bought a frying pan after seeing that last billboard and the damn thing won't cook anything!  I DEMAND A REFUND!

Tatanko - great work, have beanz  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:

Impressive translations (for a non native speaker), just some corrections:

Beer Ad - it is reference to Slovak beer "Smädný mních" (Thirsty Monk)

Megakoncert '02 - in Czech it's not RACING CLUB but FACTORY CLUB (závod means both race and factory)

Soda Ad - the Kolaloka flavor is reference to old Czechoslovak movie Limonádový Joe: http://chrisinbrnocr.blogspot.sk/2014/05/lemonade-joe.html

Toilet Paper Ad - it is reference to classic Slovak toiltet paper Harmasan made in Harmanec: http://www.shpgroup.eu/products/harmony/toaletny-papier/harmasan

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! Glad you're all finding it useful/informative/funny :)

Impressive translations (for a non native speaker), just some corrections:

Beer Ad - it is reference to Slovak beer "Smädný mních" (Thirsty Monk)

Megakoncert '02 - in Czech it's not RACING CLUB but FACTORY CLUB (závod means both race and factory)

Soda Ad - the Kolaloka flavor is reference to old Czechoslovak movie Limonádový Joe: http://chrisinbrnocr.blogspot.sk/2014/05/lemonade-joe.html

Toilet Paper Ad - it is reference to classic Slovak toiltet paper Harmasan made in Harmanec: http://www.shpgroup.eu/products/harmony/toaletny-papier/harmasan

Thank you for the corrections and additions! I'll add some of that to the original post. I actually did come across the "Lemonade Joe" reference when I was originally translating these over a year ago, but somehow that never made it into my notes. Very interesting, some of this lore!

I actually think I got a screenshot of one the other night that's not on here. I'll double check when I get home from work!

I actually think I got a screenshot of one the other night that's not on here. I'll double check when I get home from work!

Please do. To the best of my knowledge, this is all of them, with the exception of one that didn't make the cut from Arma 2: http://f-picture.net/lfp/s54.radikal.ru/i146/0908/1d/80491f760826.jpg/htm (second column, seventh one down).

Edited by Tatanko

So does that mean it's safe to assume the outbreak took place in 2009, if there's advertisements for events/movies taking place in 2009?

So does that mean it's safe to assume the outbreak took place in 2009, if there's advertisements for events/movies taking place in 2009?

I wouldn't look that deeply into it. It could be an indicator, and Arma lore is supposed to be canon for DayZ, but I think some liberty is taken in assuming how "recent" the outbreak really was.

Edited by Tatanko

The best answer I got from one of the devs was his best guess was we were in 2013.  Or at least thats when the outbreak happened.  So no 2015 Skodas sorry to say.

So no 2015 Skodas sorry to say.

Booo... I love me some Czech Volkswagens! :)

Waiting for Zyryanoff to translate BARDAK 

Please do. To the best of my knowledge, this is all of them, with the exception of one that didn't make the cut from Arma 2: http://f-picture.net/lfp/s54.radikal.ru/i146/0908/1d/80491f760826.jpg/htm (second column, seventh one down).

I see what it was - the Everon one looks different between DayZ and Arma. This is what it looks like in DayZ StandAlone as of about 2 nights ago:

2w6ug3q.jpg

• Like 1