Sign in to follow this  
Caccio72

Priorities

Greetings.

I am a devoted fan of movies and games with apocalyptic zombie survival topics. (movies, games, books, forums, discussions, predictions, etc)

I am 42 years old now, and that genre was, (and still is), my favorite one, ever since my early childhood, mostly due my deliberate conviction, that a similar type of apocalyptic fate awaits for mankind once in the future, it will happen one day, in one form or another.

(btw Stephen King's "Cell" novel is the most realistic vision, actually a prediction closest to my personal beliefs)

Now to the topic of this forum thread:

Due the reasons mentioned above, i always insisted on realism of zombie survival movies and games, meaning "the more realistic, the better".

In case of such a famous and successful zombie survival game as DayZ, I consider its approach to realism for most important.

No doubt, the game already made significant accomplishments in that field, but there are still some very serious omissions, actually lacks of realistic impression and atmosphere, which I think its developers should primarily concentrate to fix or improve.

Some of the most important features from those are:

Improving the zombie AI at the 1st place, but even with crappy AIs, there should be MANY more zombies added to the game, in order to avoid it being too much PvP centric. The game's original idea should be about human survivors teaming up, in order to fight their common enemy, the spreading, threatening danger of global zombie infestation, right?

Currently the game is too much PvP focused, instead of PvE, (players vs Zombies), which is actually supposed to be its primary aim.

I do agree, that PvP should still play an important role in the game, but I do suggest that its intensity should be decreased, or at least moderated in some way. (for example by many more zeds added)

As second, after improved zombie AI, there should be an actual use of house/building windows implemented.

Can you even imagine a zombie apocalyptic movie, or even real future without any role of windows? Barricading them with planks is the most common scene and activity. Or breaking, smashing them to jump over them into, or out of houses in emergency cases, like escapes, locked doors, "shortcuts", sudden, unexpected "surprise" actions and events, etc.

Also, both doors and windows should be allowed to be barricaded. There is no true zombie survival feeling without barricading doors/windows of a supposedly "safe" building with heavy objects, mostly furniture.

That would normally require both smarter zombie AIs, which can actually break into houses/buildings through doors/windows by crashing/smashing them, and the ability to move, push/pull certain objects/furniture inside houses/buildings. That is a serious feature to add I guess, so that's why this improvement idea of mine is rated only as secondary.

Furthermore, the large wilderness areas/sections of game maps should be made somewhat more 'alive", meaning there should be some zombies, eventually other life forms, dropped, left, forgotten items and equipment added to them.

Normally they should occure much more sparsely than in urbanized areas and settlements, merely in order to utilize those vast, wilderness parts of the map more, other than their current, mere hiding, shortcut, and wandering through purpose.

Don't get me wrong, I consider the allocation of settlements and wilderness on DayZ maps for totally realistic, so I totally approve their current ratio, but wandering through all that wilderness feels often boring, and even tiring, especially while knowing there is not even a slight chance of finding a single piece of item/equipment, or encounter a single (neutral or hostile) life form during all time we spend "outdoors".

After all, even in reality, there should be at least some leftovers from wandering people, surplus items or equipment they dropped or left behind, couldn't carry, had to leave behind due rush or emergency cases, bags, sacks, backpacks, abandoned tents and camping sites, cottages, wildlife, (animals), wandering zombies, and even corpses of unfortunate wanderers to loot.

Other, less "important", but still realistic improvements would be:

Certain cars, trucks, buses, or other vehicles in good enough condition for driving (don't know if driving is already implemented or not, saw no youtube gameplay video including them so far)

The ability and tools for wood and stone "harvesting" from trees and rocks, for crafting or barricading uses

Only once lootable civilian/military (AI) corpses lying on the ground

Search possibility of furniture and some objects or vehicles (implemented in many other similar games)

Breaking, smashing, or even setting into fire furniture, objects and vehicles, normally with certain adequate equipment or weapons

Repairing weapons and equipment with adequate tools

Lockpicks for locked doors, or/and shooting/smashing their lock with firearms or close combat weapons

Left behind pets in houses and buildings, mostly dogs and cats (could be killed or left alive by choice)

Some sparse AI survivors running around (also could be killed and looted, or left alive by choice)

Zombies concentrating in hordes (especially in or around settlements and urbanized areas)

Closable doors of certain rooms inside houses and buildings (would be useful after increased zombie AI, either for hiding, relaxing, or inventory handling)

Btw I don't know if weather conditions are implemented yet.....haven't seen any video of gameplay in rain, storm, or snow so far......

So much for now.

Disclaimer:

In order to avoid any future misunderstanding and misinterpreting, this is only MY PERSONAL opinion, my support or contribution to the game, which should by no way be considered as a "must", an obligate order of DayZ improvements to follow, I just felt for necessary to announce them in this forum, hoping they may provide useful feedback and support to game developers.

Edited by Caccio72
  • Like 1

Uhh, skimmed through this. 

Some of the things you want cant really be done in the game, and alot of what you want is already roughly implemented.

and when I say cant be done, I mean for what this game already boasts (Massive map, random loot partial persistance) its limited by its engine.

And you will never see survivor AI roaming around in the Standalone. however in the mod you can have that.

Edited by leviski

Uhh, skimmed through this. 

Some of the things you want cant really be done in the game, and alot of what you want is already roughly implemented.

and when I say cant be done, I mean for what this game already boasts (Massive map, random loot partial persistance) its limited by its engine.

And you will never see survivor AI roaming around in the Standalone. however in the mod you can have that.

Errr......I must admit, I haven't actually bought the game yet, and exactly the important lacks/omissions I listed are preventing me from it.

So I don't exactly know in which phase of development it currently is, I can judge it only by gameplay videos I keep following and watching, hoping there will be a significant improvement which will convince me to finally buy the game.

Now if as you say, some of those mentioned features are already implemented in a way, could you please list those?

Maybe there is already enough of them to end my hesitation, and finally convince me to buy the game right away......

P.S.

Actually I am currently playing DeadZ, which is a FREE DayZ clone game, and although it looks very promising, it still lacks ALL the features I listed here. (at least for now, since it is also constantly updated/improved)

Edited by Caccio72

Uh limited by its engine.

I wish this wasn't a thing. Making a game with some fancy "new" engine, and supposedly swapping it out to this newer engine should not have any instances with "oh, we can't do that in our engine because reasons".

• Like 1

Hi Caccio A lot of your desired features are already in game or planned, I've gone through and made notes in the spoiler

Improving the zombie AI at the 1st place, but even with crappy AIs, there should be MANY more zombies added to the game, in order to avoid it being too much PvP centric. The game's original idea should be about human survivors teaming up, in order to fight their common enemy, the spreading, threatening danger of global zombie infestation, right?
Currently the game is too much PvP focused, instead of PvE, (players vs Zombies), which is actually supposed to be its primary aim.
I do agree, that PvP should still play an important role in the game, but I do suggest that its intensity should be decreased, or at least moderated in some way. (for example by many more zeds added)  

The current AI is very much a placeholder, a new system is planned for the first quarter of this year, hopefully quite soon, which should include much improved triggers for audio and visual detection allowing players to use stealth, worth noting that many of the issues with the AI are caused by server performance which will improve over time but will fluctuate while the game is in heavy development, that includes max amount that can be spawned at once, serious optimisation won't occur until the game enters the Beta stage planned around Q4 of this year.

As second, after improved zombie AI, there should be an actual use of house/building windows implemented.
Can you even imagine a zombie apocalyptic movie, or even real future without any role of windows? Barricading them with planks is the most common scene and activity. Or breaking, smashing them to jump over them into, or out of houses in emergency cases, like escapes, locked doors, "shortcuts", sudden, unexpected "surprise" actions and events, etc.
Also, both doors and windows should be allowed to be barricaded. There is no true zombie survival feeling without barricading doors/windows of a supposedly "safe" building with heavy objects, mostly furniture.
That would normally require both smarter zombie AIs, which can actually break into houses/buildings through doors/windows by crashing/smashing them, and the ability to move, push/pull certain objects/furniture inside houses/buildings. That is a serious feature to add I guess, so that's why this improvement idea of mine is rated only as secondary.

The first stages of Barricading have already been implemented with the ability to lock doors with a lockpick, it's very basic right now but should be expanded on around Q3/4

Furthermore, the large wilderness areas/sections of game maps should be made somewhat more 'alive", meaning there should be some zombies, eventually other life forms, dropped, left, forgotten items and equipment added to them.
Normally they should occure much more sparsely than in urbanized areas and settlements, merely in order to utilize those vast, wilderness parts of the map more, other than their current, mere hiding, shortcut, and wandering through purpose.
Don't get me wrong, I consider the allocation of settlements and wilderness on DayZ maps for totally realistic, so I totally approve their current ratio, but wandering through all that wilderness feels often boring, and even tiring, especially while knowing there is not even a slight chance of finding a single piece of item/equipment, or encounter a single (neutral or hostile) life form during all time we spend "outdoors".
After all, even in reality, there should be at least some leftovers from wandering people, surplus items or equipment they dropped or left behind, couldn't carry, had to leave behind due rush or emergency cases, bags, sacks, backpacks, abandoned tents and camping sites, cottages, wildlife, (animals), wandering zombies, and even corpses of unfortunate wanderers to loot.

We currently have random events in the form of Helicopter crash sites where high grade military gear can be found, more is planned, but also one of the key features is item persistence which allows players to set up camps or stashes anywhere on the map, its not fully working yet but once it is coming across things of interest in the wild should be a thing, and being player generated it will be quite random. 

Certain cars, trucks, buses, or other vehicles in good enough condition for driving (don't know if driving is already implemented or not, saw no youtube gameplay video including them so far)

Vehicles have just recently begun implementation, we just have one truck right now but much more is planned with some more basic vehicles in Q1

The ability and tools for wood and stone "harvesting" from trees and rocks, for crafting or barricading uses

Already in.

Not currently but should happen at some point.

Search possibility of furniture and some objects or vehicles (implemented in many other similar games)

There has been talk of containers such as fridges and cupboards being implemented, not sure if its still planned, vehicles already have loot in and around them.

Breaking, smashing, or even setting into fire furniture, objects and vehicles, normally with certain adequate equipment or weapons

Destroying Barricading will be a thing, not so sure about random items, seems unlikely.

Already in.

Lockpicks for locked doors, or/and shooting/smashing their lock with firearms or close combat weapons

Already in.

Left behind pets in houses and buildings, mostly dogs and cats (could be killed or left alive by choice)

Not sure about this one, there was talk about having pet dogs a long time ago though.

Some sparse AI survivors running around (also could be killed and looted, or left alive by choice)

The only AI will be the infected and Animals, they want the game to be mostly player driven.

Zombies concentrating in hordes (especially in or around settlements and urbanized areas)

Once performance improves we should see many more AI especially around towns and cities.

Closable doors of certain rooms inside houses and buildings (would be useful after increased zombie AI, either for hiding, relaxing, or inventory handling)

Already in.

Btw I don't know if weather conditions are implemented yet.....haven't seen any video of gameplay in rain, storm, or snow so far.....

Weather is already in and plays a very important part to survival, getting too cold leads to hypothermia.

Check here for more info http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/forum/134-developer-discussion-status-reports/

And here's the planned roadmap for this year http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/217325-status-report-week-of-15-dec-14-a-year-in-review/

• Like 3

Hi Caccio A lot of your desired features are already in game or planned, I've gone through and made notes in the spoiler

The current AI is very much a placeholder, a new system is planned for the first quarter of this year, hopefully quite soon, which should include much improved triggers for audio and visual detection allowing players to use stealth, worth noting that many of the issues with the AI are caused by server performance which will improve over time but will fluctuate while the game is in heavy development, that includes max amount that can be spawned at once, serious optimisation won't occur until the game enters the Beta stage planned around Q4 of this year.

The first stages of Barricading have already been implemented with the ability to lock doors with a lockpick, it's very basic right now but should be expanded on around Q3/4

We currently have random events in the form of Helicopter crash sites where high grade military gear can be found, more is planned, but also one of the key features is item persistence which allows players to set up camps or stashes anywhere on the map, its not fully working yet but once it is coming across things of interest in the wild should be a thing, and being player generated it will be quite random. 

Vehicles have just recently begun implementation, we just have one truck right now but much more is planned with some more basic vehicles in Q1

Already in.

Not currently but should happen at some point.

There has been talk of containers such as fridges and cupboards being implemented, not sure if its still planned, vehicles already have loot in and around them.

Destroying Barricading will be a thing, not so sure about random items, seems unlikely.

Already in.

Already in.

Not sure about this one, there was talk about having pet dogs a long time ago though.

The only AI will be the infected and Animals, they want the game to be mostly player driven.

Once performance improves we should see many more AI especially around towns and cities.

Already in.

Btw I don't know if weather conditions are implemented yet.....haven't seen any video of gameplay in rain, storm, or snow so far.....

Weather is already in and plays a very important part to survival, getting too cold leads to hypothermia.

Check here for more info http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/forum/134-developer-discussion-status-reports/

And here's the planned roadmap for this year http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/217325-status-report-week-of-15-dec-14-a-year-in-review/

Wowww, according to these informations almost everything I consider for important is either already implemented, or planned to be added in the near future, COOL!

However, I have one last question left, one that is of primary importance to me, (even if some people disagree), since my sense of realism actually demands it when playing a good zombie survival game:

The windows.

They should really be passable. (that normally also requires them to be breakable, in order to penetrate them)

I cannot imagine a true zombie survival atmosphere with totally useless windows.

You mentioned barricading.

I hope you applied that to windows of houses and buildings.

And if so, and they really can be barricaded, it must mean they are also passable, right? eaning one can jump in or out through them. (why else are they meant to be barricaded, than blocking the passage through them)

Now if they are already passable, all it takes is the image, actually a shining glass effect on them, and an additional CRASH sound (noise) when they get broken after player's hit(s), slash(es), or shot(s)......

But that can come only secondary, the important thing, the 1st step is to make them passable at at all. The moment it is done I am buying the game for sure.

Or is it already done? The last time I asked about it in another forum the answer was "no"......

Edited by Caccio72

We don't have much info about Barricading and windows really, though this recent post from a dev suggests they are looking into it

VictorKane(IP: 78.102.45.213)

Animation Lead

• photo-thumb-185110.jpg?_r=1389820044
  • DayZ Developer
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • LocationChernarus

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:10 PM

In this thread I would like to talk about any new animation you would like to see in final version of DayZ.

I have picked up some questions in other thread to start discussion.

Damnyourdeadman, on 08 Jan 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:snapback.png

Hello and welcome to the Forums Victor!

I was wondering,have you considered the addition of a "climb through windows" animation for zombies and survivors?

Thank you for your time!  :)

mmmm...maybe....  ^_^

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/219049-new-animations-and-features/

As far as i know its not an easy task as there's no uniform height/size to all the windows in game so it would need an animation that can dynamically adjust to each window.

But there is hope i think.

Edited by Fluxley

We don't have much info about Barricading and windows really, though this recent post from a dev suggests they are looking into it

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/219049-new-animations-and-features/

As far as i know its not an easy task as there's no uniform height/size to all the windows in game so it would need an animation that can dynamically adjust to each window.

But there is hope i think.

Well I know as much as nothing about game development, but I really don't think merely allowing player characters to JUMP IN OR OUT of windiws would require too much effort, after all we already can jump over certain obstacles, like fences or lying trees......the same mechanism could be easily applied to windows, except that they are like small passages, narrow openings in house/building walls, just a bit smaller than doors.

So the only difference between entering through doors and windows would be, that by windows one would be required to JUMP while moving. (use the jump+forward command)

Well I know as much as nothing about game development, but I really don't think merely allowing player characters to JUMP IN OR OUT of windiws would require too much effort, after all we already can jump over certain obstacles, like fences or lying trees......the same mechanism could be easily applied to windows, except that they are like small passages, narrow openings in house/building walls, just a bit smaller than doors.

So the only difference between entering through doors and windows would be, that by windows one would be required to JUMP while moving. (use the jump+forward command)

There's already a few few windows that you can actually just jump through, but that just by chance rather than design.

The issue is that there are many windows that are too small or too high to just jump through, also problems can occur if the client location is out of sync with the server, i'm sure they'll be able to figure something out that works well and still looks good though.

I wish this wasn't a thing. Making a game with some fancy "new" engine, and supposedly swapping it out to this newer engine should not have any instances with "oh, we can't do that in our engine because reasons".

Regardless of what engine you're using there will be limitations.

• Like 1

There's already a few few windows that you can actually just jump through, but that just by chance rather than design.

The issue is that there are many windows that are too small or too high to just jump through, also problems can occur if the client location is out of sync with the server, i'm sure they'll be able to figure something out that works well and still looks good though.

Normally due the game realism itself, which is so important to me, I agree there should be many higher, "unreachable" windows, so one should only be able to jump through those lower ones, and those large enough to to be passable for our characters, (an average size human being in this case), just like in reality.

Since I guess there are pre-planned and arranged widows models constructed for the game, only a limit should be determined between passable and non-passable ones, and then define/program the passable/reachable ones as open, empty spaces one can just jump-pass through.

I really can't see any serious complications with that, but again, this is only my personal logical guess, as a total laic in game development field and topic......

P.S.

As for me, even leaving/placing totally empty, see-through squares/rectangles in walls as "passable windows" would do the trick. (as long one can jump through them that is)

Would even that be too demanding to implement?

Edited by Caccio72

P.S.

As for me, even leaving/placing totally empty, see-through squares/rectangles in walls as "passable windows" would do the trick. (as long one can jump through them that is)

Would even that be too demanding to implement?

Even that alone would require remodelling every building which is a huge task itself. they already have massive amounts of work to do on the game so its really just a question of priorities.

Like i've said, i'm sure it can be done, just these things are rarely as simple as people seem to think.

The only way we could work around such a handicap, is to make a more efficient ground breaking "programming" of sorts that could handle the mass that is DayZ

Errr......I must admit, I haven't actually bought the game yet, and exactly the important lacks/omissions I listed are preventing me from it.

So I don't exactly know in which phase of development it currently is, I can judge it only by gameplay videos I keep following and watching, hoping there will be a significant improvement which will convince me to finally buy the game.

Now if as you say, some of those mentioned features are already implemented in a way, could you please list those?

Maybe there is already enough of them to end my hesitation, and finally convince me to buy the game right away......

P.S.

Actually I am currently playing DeadZ, which is a FREE DayZ clone game, and although it looks very promising, it still lacks ALL the features I listed here. (at least for now, since it is also constantly updated/improved)

LOLOL

DeadZ is actually a pirate rip-off source code steal of WarZ, which has been renamed Infestation Survivor Stories.

I feel bad you are trying to play that steaming dogpile of a game but at least its free unlike what its stolen from.

Man, my advice is just buy the DayZ Standalone, its miles better than anything out there.

Edited by leviski

The only way we could work around such a handicap, is to make a more efficient ground breaking "programming" of sorts that could handle the mass that is DayZ

LOLOL

DeadZ is actually a pirate rip-off source code steal of WarZ, which has been renamed Infestation Survivor Stories.

I feel bad you are trying to play that steaming dogpile of a game but at least its free unlike what its stolen from.

Man, my advice is just buy the DayZ Standalone, its miles better than anything out there.

Yeah, I realized that after the answers in that spoiler......I just really wish windows would play at least some role in the game, but at least there is a hope for that in the future. (as you indicated)

However, one thing still puzzles me:

I was told, that barricading is already implemented into the game.

Now I guess it was primarily meant for house/building windows.

So according to that, barricading of windows is already possible, without the possibility of passing through them.

That leaves some doubts about correct priority order, doesn't it?

Namely, barricades are supposed to be used to block, or prevent penetration, right?

Now why the barricades, if there is no existing or possible passage at all?

What is their actual use, role, or purpose currently? What are they blocking/preventing now?

Shouldn't a penetration possibility be implemented as 1st, and add a way to its prevention only after?

Are the current barricades in the game blocking and "protecting" non-passable, unbreakable windows then?

Sorry, but if that's so, this current "barricade feature" seems just as pointless, senseless, and even absurd, as for example the idea of items/equipment spawning on totally unreachable places, (like mountain tops characters cannot climb), or players re-spawning on skyscraper roofs, without a way to come down from them. (except by suicide jumps)

Edited by Caccio72

All of the things in your list of suggestions that is physically capable of being implemented, will be implemented. Just wait, and stay updated! Jeez Lueez, everyone knows they are working on new zombies. The current ones are just placeholders.

Oh btw, I just watched a few gameplay videos of WarZ, alias Infestation Survival Stories, and some of its comparations to DayZ.

True, it is definitely no match for DayZ, (at least that is my opinion), however, according to those videos and their commentary, the zombie AI is significantly "smarter", meaning more intelligent than in DayZ.

I know DayZ crew keeps trying to improve zombie AI at this very moment, but a logical question still remains: How come WarZ developers could solve this problem/matter long time ago, while DayZ crew is still struggling with it?

Why don't they just use the very same method or mechanics,, which was used by WarZ team then? (the solution which has already proven to be successful)

If as you stated, DeadZ developers have totally copied the whole WarZ game, (and judging by WarZ videos that appears to be the naked truth), would it be so unforgivable for DayZ to copy WarZ's solution for zombie AI's mechanics?

(just a logical sounding idea)

Edited by Caccio72

Why don't they just use the very same method or mechanics,, which was used by WarZ team then? (the solution which has already proven to be successful)

If as you stated, DeadZ developers have totally copied the whole WarZ game, (and judging by WarZ videos that appears to be the naked truth), would it be so unforgivable for DayZ to copy WarZ's solution for zombie AI's mechanics?

(just a logical sounding idea)

Might one suggest your reading of the devblogs?  Just a few moments' research can get you all the answers you need.  Based on the plans to update the renderer, and the zombie AI just being a placeholder for now, I would assume that they want to wait to implement certain functions so they don't have to redo the work once the major changes are implemented.  It's kinda like painting a house, before you replace the siding and trim; just doesn't make sense to work that far ahead.

Edited by emuthreat

Might one suggest your reading of the devblogs?  Just a few moments' research can get you all the answers you need.  Based on the plans to update the renderer, and the zombie AI just being a placeholder for now, I would assume that they want to wait to implement certain functions so they don't have to redo the work once the major changes are implemented.  It's kinda like painting a house, before you replace the siding and trim; just doesn't make sense to work that far ahead.

I see...so it would be just like the current, "already possible barricading of non functioning windows" case then......(sorry for the sarcasm, but I still received no explanation of this totally pointless looking implementation order)

Edited by Caccio72

I see...so it would be just like the current, "already possible barricading of non functioning windows" case then......(sorry for the sarcasm, but I still received no explanation of this totally pointless looking implementation order)

I'm pretty sure the problem is not with the information out there, but rather with your unwillingness to understand and accept said information.  It makes no sense for them to work on something as trivial as vaultable walls and breaking mechanichs similar to invisible bushes,  being added to the windows at this point.  They are actively in the process of of altering some of the core mechanics of the game and may not have applied the same priority as you have, to setting up window ingress/egress (much better words than penetration, especially when used as much as you like to).  

So if you still refuse to grasp why they aren't adding the bells and whistles before they get the wheels rolling propelry, I must either assume you have special intellectual needs, or that you are just anohter dumb a-hole on the internet who doesn't understand that the world doesn't always have to bend to your personal whims.

Wait until the game is complete, and full reviews are available, if you really have such an explicit line-item list of demands for your major purchase.

Expecting what you demand from an alpha is about as obstinate as going into a McDonalds and cussing out the manager because they don't have linen napkins and tablecloths.

I'm pretty sure the problem is not with the information out there, but rather with your unwillingness to understand and accept said information.  It makes no sense for them to work on something as trivial as vaultable walls and breaking mechanichs similar to invisible bushes,  being added to the windows at this point.  They are actively in the process of of altering some of the core mechanics of the game and may not have applied the same priority as you have, to setting up window ingress/egress (much better words than penetration, especially when used as much as you like to).  

So if you still refuse to grasp why they aren't adding the bells and whistles before they get the wheels rolling propelry, I must either assume you have special intellectual needs, or that you are just anohter dumb a-hole on the internet who doesn't understand that the world doesn't always have to bend to your personal whims.

Wait until the game is complete, and full reviews are available, if you really have such an explicit line-item list of demands for your major purchase.

Expecting what you demand from an alpha is about as obstinate as going into a McDonalds and cussing out the manager because they don't have linen napkins and tablecloths.

Sorry again, but it seems YOU are the one who keeps missing my point.

It was not about expecting my personal priority order to be followed, I merely pointed out a move which I consider for totally illogical and pointless.

And despite all your (more or less valid) critics, you haven't answered to that special matter, which has absolutely nothing to do with the current phase of game development.

So let me put it simple for you:

WHY did DayZ developers implement barricading of windows, BEFORE those windows are even functioning? (meaning their penetration)

What is the logic, the purpose of adding such a (so far) futile feature?

Shouldn't they have waited with it till they fix windows functionality 1st?

Just imagine the following, typical situation:

You play an apocalyptic zombie survival game. (in our case DayZ)

You run into a house, chased (or not chased) by zombies and/or other players.

You close the door, then after checking you decide that the place is clean and safe.

Then you start securing your temporary hideout, in order to prevent zeds and/or other players to break into it, by starting barricading its windows......which you KNOW cannot be penetrated by anyone or anything at all, not even bullets......now WHY would you do that??? (common sense)

This was my actual question, I hope I made it clear enough this time.

Or should I start a new forum topic about the sense of barricading non-penetratable windows?

Edited by Caccio72

This was my actual question, I hope I made it clear enough this time.

Or should I start a new forum topic about the sense of barricading non-penetratable windows?

As of today, the barricading mechanics are limited to using lockpicks to secure doors.  Once 0.53 is released, we will see if boarding up is implemented.  But as it stands, they have not done anything resembling barricading windows; nor have they made mention of passable windows.

From a players' standpoint, I am glad that they would not make windows passable before implementing barricading.  Imagine if the windows were made to be passable, but the barricade functionality was not there yet, or not yet working properly.  It would make the buildings much less secure than they are now.  Once again, and likely for the last time, I must say that this would be akin to putting the cart before the horse.

As of today, the barricading mechanics are limited to using lockpicks to secure doors.  Once 0.53 is released, we will see if boarding up is implemented.  But as it stands, they have not done anything resembling barricading windows; nor have they made mention of passable windows.

From a players' standpoint, I am glad that they would not make windows passable before implementing barricading.  Imagine if the windows were made to be passable, but the barricade functionality was not there yet, or not yet working properly.  It would make the buildings much less secure than they are now.  Once again, and likely for the last time, I must say that this would be akin to putting the cart before the horse.

Ok ok, I got your point now, so it's working only for doors for now.

The 2nd  part of your reasoning is also valid, I agree that barricading (blocking) windows should be implemented along with making them passable. (penetratable)

This finally sounds logical enough, thanks, and sorry for all the misunderstanding!

I just really hope both will be implemented ASAP, so I can finally buy the game......

But say, if players can already secure doors, does it mean zombie AI is already capable to smash simply closed doors, (which would be real cool), or it's meant more for blocking (preventing, keeping out) other human players for now?

Edited by Caccio72

But say, if players can already secure doors, does it mean zombie AI is already capable to smash simply closed doors, (which would be real cool), or it's meant more for blocking (preventing, keeping out) other human players for now?

The lockpick just lets you lock a door so people can't break them down.  They still need to update the zombies, so no smashing through doors.  You should be happy enough if they don't just run through the walls.  They may never make windows passable for players.  If climbing through a window is that much of a priority, might I suggest modifying Splinter Cell to create your desired zombie experience of hopping through windows.

Is barricading windows even a thing in DayZ? I've certainly never heard of it.

The lockpick just lets you lock a door so people can't break them down.  They still need to update the zombies, so no smashing through doors.  You should be happy enough if they don't just run through the walls.  They may never make windows passable for players.  If climbing through a window is that much of a priority, might I suggest modifying Splinter Cell to create your desired zombie experience of hopping through windows.

Ehhh, its just that after playing State Of Decay......remember all the window-crashes when zombies or my character jumps through them?

But still no use without other, real human players, no one to compete with, even for teaming up I have only those dumb Ai characters......

Man, why can't someone make an online game like SoD???

Oh btw, I just found a game called Neither......anyone knows enough about it to compare to DayZ?

According to its gameplay videos it has lots of pretty intelligent hostile AIs.......however the graphic seems worse than in DayZ.

Edited by Caccio72