Sign in to follow this  
Aktymel

Weapon repairing

The idea is to obtain working weapons harder and to make harder to repair them than with using just the weapon cleaning kit. For instance you dismantle the weapon on several parts (right click) it will show a weapon body and below it there would be main parts (lets say: muzzle, barrel, cylinder, hammer, trigger). These parts will have its own degeneration system and when u find any weapon it will have mostly one or two parts ruined so u will have to find another gun or that part, dismantle weapon and change the weapon part for not ruined one.

This will make players, that already have gun, to actually look for another guns and do something with them when they find them or force them to use another gun (like they find m4 with ruined trigger and they cant find another m4 or similar trigger so they will throw it away or stash it and use sawed-off shotgun because that at least do the job for the time being).

Edited by Aktymel

The idea is to obtain working weapons harder and to make harder to repair them than with using just the weapon cleaning kit. For instance you dismantle the weapon on several parts (right click) it will show a weapon body and below it there would be main parts (lets say: muzzle, barrel, cylinder, hammer, trigger). These parts will have its own degeneration system and when u find any weapon it will have mostly one or two parts ruined so u will have to find another gun or that part, dismantle weapon and change the weapon part for not ruined one.

This will make players, that already have gun, to actually look for another guns and do something with them when they find them or force them to use another gun (like they find m4 with ruined trigger and they cant find another m4 or similar trigger so they will throw it away or stash it and use sawed-off shotgun because that at least do the job for the time being).

I like the idea in general other than regularly having two ruined parts per gun found (or anything like that). Certain guns, like the M4, are fairly rare. It takes a lot of work to find these guns and, as such, having to find what could, potentially, be many more wouldn't be fun. At all. I've even had times where it's taken me ages to find a single, common gun. For example, for about three days, the IZH43 just didn't exist to me. Then I found one (and another the same day). Not seen it anywhere since. Having to replace parts on that, when I'd spent three days finding it, could literally take days if I'm unlucky. That'd be an added insult with the IZH, because it got me killed later that day thanks to its god awful clip size (yeah, I know, it's exactly right for what it is, but the fact that you have to go in to your inventory to reload it is awful. Speedloaders should speed up reloading. You should be able to hit R to reload either way) and its need of buffing. However, I do agree that each part of the gun should be individually damaged and require something different, as well as adding jams etc.

Guns (along with most other items in the game) are a lot more sturdy than they appear in the game. There are plenty of working guns around from several hundred years ago irl. For the most part, you do just need to clean a gun to maintain it. However, I do think that damage to the gun (like its container being hit with a weapon or a bullet) should actually be a thing. Basically, if its container gets hit, there's X% chance that C component will be ruined. This then needs to be replaced. If you allow for a part of the gun to be ruined by wear and tear, well, your fault (actually mimics real life as, if you don't maintain guns, they can suffer permanent damage). However, so long as it's not ruined, it should be repairable with the cleaning kit. Backfiring (which should be added due to jams from damaged ammo or poor gun maintenance) should also destroy most, if not all, of the guns components (not attachments).

This could work by simply tweaking the current attachment system. Have the main body of the gun (everything that's not detachable/replaceable without serious work) be one item then simply have every single other component (within reason) be an attachment and tweak the system for attachments being damaged appropriately. Gun cleaning kit would clean & repair all attachments, unless ruined, other than scopes and flashlights (think that's everything?).

Edited by Beizs

I like this idea but then weapon parts would have to be more common that complete weapons are in the current build. Something like looting zombie soldiers and vehicle wrecks for ruined guns that may have parts worth salvaging would be neat.

I like this idea but then weapon parts would have to be more common that complete weapons are in the current build. Something like looting zombie soldiers and vehicle wrecks for ruined guns that may have parts worth salvaging would be neat.

Although it's about melee,do you propose something in the spirit of this mechanic?

Although it's about melee,do you propose something in the spirit of this mechanic?

Yes.I would like to see something where a M4 could be fired without a Handguard, but you could burn your hands.

Yes.I would like to see something where a M4 could be fired without a Handguard, but you could burn your hands.

Hmmm...i don't know about that.

But how about if we categorize every firearm into two replaceable and repairable parts?

Eg: M4 Upper Assembly

xstu5025moe.jpg

M4 Lower Assembly

IMG_0125_large.jpg?v=1374122345

SKS Trigger Assembly

Picture076.jpg

SKS Barrel

47cf462debe54b4813993d57c8a062e9.jpg

IZH 43 Shotgun Barrel - Receiver

maxresdefault.jpg

Edit: Replaced one of the pictures for copyright violation.

Edited by Damnyourdeadman

Like that idea in general, dude. Would be nice to be able to craft handles from logs to get weapons like the fireaxe out of the 'damaged' zone (completely ruins the camo when sprayed :/).

But yeah, more on topic, that's what I'd like for this, too. Like the idea about splitting a weapon in to two parts, too. Realistic and good for the game.

Edited by Beizs

m4s are rare enough so...

how_about_no.jpg

the M4 was just an example of weapon. My reason behind this idea is that you can craft bow (but i never seen anyone with it yet and i didnt use it yet cause i always found weapons even on pers:ON and hardcore servers ) and i would like to see more people to start with primitive weapons and weapons that are homemade or homeupraged and not that super looking military grade equipment 

the M4 was just an example of weapon. My reason behind this idea is that you can craft bow (but i never seen anyone with it yet and i didnt use it yet cause i always found weapons even on pers:ON and hardcore servers ) and i would like to see more people to start with primitive weapons and weapons that are homemade or homeupraged and not that super looking military grade equipment 

The reason nobody uses a bow is the game is way too clunky to use one effectively with any consistency.

You either run around until you find a rifle or you find someone with a rifle and you charge him with your fire axe just because. If I could stick a broadhead through a guy from fifty yards away with a bow in the game easier than finding a rifle of my own I might try it.