tehflapjack

Underground Sections/Areas of Chernarus; Metro System, Caves

Now, I cannot deny the reason this idea came to mind is due to the fact I've been playing through the Metro games again (the Redux versions). Yeah, I really like all the map additions/improvements they're currently making but I was thinking how damn cool would it be if there was a full metro system under Chernarus? It would be not only be a really immersive (if done right) place to go and a great base location, once base building has been added in, but a great way to travel around Chernarus. However, I have some ideas on how to go about making these tunnels and keeping people out of them, as I'd like it to be a risky place to go.

Beans for you sir   :beans:

For my idea again of terrain cellars  - a square terrain pit under a building, as steep sided as terrain can be, with access by - for instance - an opening trapdoor in the house floor and a ladder: This post is to say I found a kind of half example of this on the map.

It's not super exciting to see - but If you go to 022 044 there is a barn there. One end of the barn is built over a steep terrain slope (I guess it's not been well located yet).

So if you walk round to that end, you can go down the slope and walk UNDER the corner of the barn that sticks right out over your head. The floor of the barn is above you. Go check it out, it's on the map at the moment. Tonight !

OK - so this barn demonstrates my cellar idea.

- You make a square pit in the ground with the sides as steep as possible.

- It's a simple terrain feature, so you make the pit out of bare earth texture or out of rock texture.

- You place a barn on top of it so that the barn overlaps it a good distance on all sides (so there is no danger of player glitching).

- In the floor of the barn above the terrain hole you put a trapdoor - exactly like a standard door but horizontal instead of vertical, opens and shuts the same. Or even no door, just a square cutout in the floor

- You put a ladder down from the barn floor to the bottom of the terrain pit underneath.

PLEASE - Let's DO this !

So then what have you got? a trapdoor and a ladder leading down to a DARK underground earth or rock cellar.

Can this be bad?

The only technical problem I know at present, is that doors are vertical in DayZ, so you need to create a horizontal door entity (can't just use a door laid flat, because doors ARE defined vertical).

BUT you can instead have a staircase down - maybe no door, so no extra programming, but just an iron staircase down from inside the barn. Or no trap but just a ladder, like a ladder off a crane.. whatever variations you like, or are EASY.. or build a standard wall with a door in it and stairs down like we have already in many houses.

The beauty of this (I think) is that it's DARK down there.

- OK I'm sorry -  I repeated nearly exactly the same post as above, http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/212565-underground-sectionsareas-of-chernarus-metro-system-caves/page-2#entry2133760

I apologise: II's because I'm EXCITED by this idea and I just found an example on the map that seems to show it CAN be done.. right now.. without creating any new structures or objects or textures, just using exactly what we already have in the game now today.

The barn (or the big 2 floor barn/factory) can be perfect for this because those buildings have enough floor area to locate them over the terrain pit with plenty of overlap on all sides, so it should be glitch proof (as much as most stuff is). No one can get stuck between the terrain and the floor, etc, no one can slip (or crawl) down the outside of the building into the cellar..because the terrain-cellar-pit is small compared to the big floorspace located over it. The floor space spreads out well past the location of the "terrain-cellar"And if the hatch and ladder go down into the middle of the terrain-cellar, then there is no interface between the house and the terrain feature that can be exploited..All around the edges, the building is standing on normal flat ground-level terrain.

See - my FIRST idea was to build a terrain pit and put a house IN it, so the ground floor would be underground, and the next floor up would be at outside ground level. BUT the problem with that, is the (big) possibility of glitching down the side of the building from outside (trying to go in or out)  and so getting stuck between the outside underground wall and the side of the terrain pit. (total bummer).

So I scratched that idea, and instead thought of this simple terrain feature trick, just a 1 story DENT in the ground with the steepest sides possible, and a building floor that spreads well outside the limits of the terrain feature when the building is standing on top of it.. Plus a hatch and a ladder. All this stuff is already in the game, it all works

.. and "the only thing"  needed, is for someone to make a steep pit in the terrain and put a barn over it, plus a ladder down.

An opening trap would be cool, but I think that needs modification of the existing door parameters, because doors are programmed as vertical, its not currently an option to have them at different angles.

(Hey - if the angle could be defined, then you could include skylights onto roofs too, even sloping roofs..). But using existing elements just a small room with a vertical door that opens onto a stairway or ladder down, can be built right now.. A hole in the floor with a ladder down can be built right now, and it's the simplest "proof of concept".

Also maybe a trapdoor would not be a great problem, it's a door with a definable angle from the vertical.. especially because a trapdoor it could be used for other interesting stuff later in development. (trapdoor on a flat roof at the top of the ladder, so you have to open it .. dont know who's up there. .. also would be  good to add one or two on the ship structure.. you can probably think of some other interesting uses.

OK so go to 022 044 and check out this "badly placed" barn and see how it sticks out over the steep slope at the corner. With what I said here, you can see that the whole thing could work NOW..

It would be great to do the same in one or two town houses.. but placement is more critical .. maybe a cellar (terrain feature) that runs under part of a block of houses, with just one entry ? Even a fairly small cellar space down there can be interesting gameplay. Good place to hide in the dark?  DANGEROUS to go down there.  Loot spawn? (players wil think of ideas)

All this is without suggesting any furniture, any house textures, nothing except 'terrain bare earth' or 'terrain rock'. Anything else more sophisticated could come later? And there are objects that can be placed directly on terrain, to clutter up the cellar a bit.

S0 - Sorry again, I've spammed the same post on you here as I did on the last page of this thread.

But I've done it because I'm CONVINCED this is a GREAT idea and VERY easy to implement NOW..

I WON'T DO IT AGAIN I promise. But I'd LOVE to see someone pick up this idea and run with it, even just to TEST it.

And if I've missed a technical problem, please someone explain it to me.

So many players talk about underground stuff, and here's a way of doing it NOW. And how can that not be a GREAT gameplay addition?

Please do tell me if I've missed out something important, or got my programming facts screwed up.

thanx xx pilgrim.

Edited by pilgrim

TehAlmightyFlapjac, I had a really really similar idea to yours and there´s only one thing I´d like to add to it... Remenber the part of the rails and stuff? Well, actually make possible to players build or repair minecarts (armored like we have in metro, but of course slightly different or non armored ones; with a motor or maybe powered by an hidraulic system where u´re the "key" to make it roll), trains (maybe not because trains are really ****ing big), and actually making possible to players to repair the rails, so they could travel in them without any problems (after they´ve repaired the rails of course). Adding specific lights to the (lets call them) "rail vehicles" would be intelligent, though the lights couldn´t be somethin too exagerating (only one direction, maybe really bright so u could like "blind" other players if they are in ur path, but not bright enough to see everything nicely if u know what I meen :P), I think thats it... Oh and (when buldin stuff in the map will be an option), mining tunnels in specific areas would be nice, like expanding the tunnels, making ur base underground  where probably not many would adventure themselves (of course u would need to put torches or somethin like that in order to built ur base properly)... So this last idea of mine would like expand the element of surprise, u will never know what will,would,and happens in the tunnels until u go there! 

NOTE:I´m not trying to say that the tunnels should be bright or somethin (in fact dark as hell would be awesome), just sain that there should be kinda "lil´ bigger" light emitter than ur damn flashlight! Still the underground system would be kinda of hard work for de devolopers because (like somebody already said) they would need to raise the map or somethin...

(Sry for my bad english still improvin it)

Edited by Druan96