Sign in to follow this  
commanderbash

remove magazine selection from Action UI, implement smart reloading

magazines in UI  

34 members have voted

1. 1. would you want magazines taken out of the action UI AND reload to load your highest round magazine

• yay
    • nay
    • huh?

one of the most annoying things in the game is how different variants of magazines are handled, specifically their placement in the scroll wheel User Interface(UI), in haste when its accidentally used, not only does it leave me exposed and unarmed while trying to do the action only second most used to moving, opening doors, it's also loud and announces my presence to anyone near.

the change I purpose is simple:

remove magazine reload selection from the UI completely, and

have the reload key load the weapon with the magazine containing the most rounds 

if people want to load a magazine in another fashion then this, they can open up their inventory to do so but never have I ever wanted to or cared to change a 30 round cmag with a 30 round stanag or similar while opening a bunch of doors, its just not something I ever needed crowding up my action interface and leads to many people matching magazines to avoid this annoyance.

Edited by commanderbash
  • Like 6

so....from what im getting out of this you want just a keybind to reload the magazine with the most ammo instead of doing it manually through they gear menu?(like the mod) if so, I disagree. Players should have to manually reload their own mag into their own gun. im tired of just pressing a simple button and seeing if i have another mag in hand. I want the tension in a gun fight, looking for a mag in your bag as fast as you can then dragging it into your weapon. thats just me though.

so....from what im getting out of this you want just a keybind to reload the magazine with the most ammo instead of doing it manually through they gear menu?(like the mod) if so, I disagree. Players should have to manually reload their own mag into their own gun. im tired of just pressing a simple button and seeing if i have another mag in hand. I want the tension in a gun fight, looking for a mag in your bag as fast as you can then dragging it into your weapon. thats just me though.

Somewhere in my readings on here I saw a post recommending that if you have a mag in your backpack, you should have to open the bag to get it, but if you have one in a pocket or other easily accessible spot, you should be able to just hit 'r'.  I think a good way to implement this would be to add an 'ammo' bar off to the side of your inventory, and it would allow you to put whatever mags you want into a list (only if they are in an easily accessible location, and they would stay in that location).  When you hit 'r' it would automatically grab the next one on the list.

• Like 3

This really needs to happen.

The way I have solved this up until now is to only carry one type of magazine, but since ammo and mags has become rare, this is no longer a viable option.

You never want to change the magazine in your gun for some other smaller magazine using the function key. If I ever want to reload, it is because my magazine is (partially) depleted, in which case I will press the reload key. No other key, ever.

Just remove reloading from the function key, for the love of all that is holy.

Somewhere in my readings on here I saw a post recommending that if you have a mag in your backpack, you should have to open the bag to get it, but if you have one in a pocket or other easily accessible spot, you should be able to just hit 'r'.  I think a good way to implement this would be to add an 'ammo' bar off to the side of your inventory, and it would allow you to put whatever mags you want into a list (only if they are in an easily accessible location, and they would stay in that location).  When you hit 'r' it would automatically grab the next one on the list.

Agree on this count as well. Even the mod made us access our backpack separately and deliberately to get items from it to our person, and only allowed us quick access to items on our actual person. In this case the new inventory system has actually made a step back compared to the mod.

Edited by wartzilla

no, you don't get it, wortzilla does though, and I don't mind reloading magazines, in fact I made a post here about making it much more realistic, with speed loader working like speed loaders, and loose rounds being loaded one at a time (vote and support if you would like it more realistic too)

as it stands right now, pressing reload reloads your gun with the same magazine type if you have another, but if you have even two different colors of magazine and move your scroll wheel, every variant of magazine you have for that gun will come up, this is what I want gone, personally I feel if I had two magazines of different capacity and I used one, logically id want to reload with the other, and if I had three mags, then the next biggest one. anyways, that's my opinion on smart reloading and its covered in the other thread I linked.

but what I don't need (and the topic of this thread) is the list of magazines to reload my weapon clogging up the action menu, because the only time I've ever used this is when I was trying to do something else, open a door. doors can be finicky when your trying to use them quickly, and gates need you to find their sweet spot to open them, if the game doesn't think you're trying to open a door(or climb a ladder, or drink from a well) when you have more then one magazine on you, you'll instead reload with a different magazine/

trying to stealth through a city and open a gate? then instead change your magazine ?( which you then probably need to change back) and hope no one was near enough to hear it.

trying to run to/from a player in a firefight and need to get through a door? but instead change your magazine? now you're a) running in place into a door and B] unable to retaliate (while changing the magazine) C) now might have a tiny magazine in your gun

these are the situations I run into, the reason most, if not all people, carry just one kind of magazine per gun so we don't have to deal with this bs, so in summary, if I need to reload with a different kind of magazine I'd like to either have the game realize I want the one with the most bullets in it, or do it myself in the inventory UI, but I don't want it on the action menu, especially when the magazine in my gun isn't empty.

Edited by commanderbash

I find this most annoying when drinking from wells and as mentioned above when opening doors.

It just needs to be removed from the scroll action UI and we only reload with the keyboard settings, standard 'r' or whatever you prefer.

• Like 1

Here is an even better solution.

Remove scroll wheel interactions all together have a Self interaction menu and an object interaction menu just like ace.

So to apply things on yourself such as medicine or a bandage you press a specific key, but to interact with objects such as choosing magazine types , opening doors is a totally different button.

This leaves the scroll wheel to function as a elevation adjustment button or any number of things are it is better suited for.

• Like 2

Those magazine switch option comming when trying to open door, pick item or accidently move scroll is annoying as hell, was about to make same suggestion.

• Like 1

Yes, I don't know why reloading is under the same key as opening the doors. Makes no sense, R should be for reload and R only. 

it's not just that its annoying, but that it happens a the worst of times

Damn straight, died once because of that. 

Props for me digging this our rather than reposting

Edited by General Zod
  • Like 1

Also (as this happened to me yesterday) can we make it so if your gun is loaded you don't reload it? Found an sks and a stripper, loaded the sks manually, mind you if I fire a couple of rounds it tells me my gun is loaded and I can't replace this two rounds. I "open" a door and nope reload animation/sound thank god it was on a server reset so I no one heard me but it sure pissed me off

Why remove magazine selection from the whole UI? Its enough to remove it from scroll wheel. Nothing wrong with reloading via inventory. Thats why I voted no even though smart reloading is a good idea. However, it should be able to handle different magazine sizes.

Edit: Got confused by the OP - yes to removal from action UI.

Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 1

Somewhere in my readings on here I saw a post recommending that if you have a mag in your backpack, you should have to open the bag to get it, but if you have one in a pocket or other easily accessible spot, you should be able to just hit 'r'.  I think a good way to implement this would be to add an 'ammo' bar off to the side of your inventory, and it would allow you to put whatever mags you want into a list (only if they are in an easily accessible location, and they would stay in that location).  When you hit 'r' it would automatically grab the next one on the list.

I can get on board with this.

Mags for quick change go into the assault vest, or mag pouches, jean pockets in absence of vest etc.

Potentially add a delay in the reload time for a mag sourced from the backpack.

The action menu (scroll wheel) will be removed anyway. Dean stated that in some interview/ twitter post/ dunno anymore.

They want to replace it with something more simple such as eat a apple by holding it in your hands and left click. Not sure how reloading will work then but I guess they will find a solution for that too.

• Like 1

+1000
And also some guns should be reload without (mag) through R button, magnum, SKS for example should do it, but ONLY if we have bullets accessible in our pockets (not in our backpack or in a ammo box)
Speed loader for weapons like this (SKS, Magnum, Blaze 95 and IZH) should ONLY make us gain time for reloading, but they are supposed to be most of the time reloaded manually, and its really bad to have to open the slow, non convenient and slow to use inventory for do such kind of things.
Same for the Mosin even if he don't have speed loader, all this weapons should be able to be reloaded from R key, but need to open inventory for chamber them.
And a lot of weapons such as most of the pistol or assault riffle for example need the ability to be both chamber AND put a mag on them, cause is how they work IRL !

Here is an even better solution.

Remove scroll wheel interactions all together have a Self interaction menu and an object interaction menu just like ace.

So to apply things on yourself such as medicine or a bandage you press a specific key, but to interact with objects such as choosing magazine types , opening doors is a totally different button.

This leaves the scroll wheel to function as a elevation adjustment button or any number of things are it is better suited for.

This. Action menu must die!

(Don't blame me for bumping a old thread.  I actually use search function before making new topics.)  

Yes PLEASE.  In real life I don't need to go digging around to find my ammo.  I would have it in my pocket or attached to my vest.  I would just be able to grab a new mag or a handful of buckshot (if you are using something like the double barreled shotgun) and reload.  

Worst part is, if you have a double barreled shotgun and you fire one shot.  You can't load a second shot without firing off the remaining shot (or removing your shot and then adding two shots back in.  Which is clunk as heck and takes to long to do in a fire fight.)  

I know they were trying to be realistic but it just came off as really clunky.  If people want to continue to use the inventory screen or action menu that's fine.  But let the rest of us use the easy reload.