commanderbash

multiple suggestions on the handling of ammunition/mags/speedloaders

ammunition  

12 members have voted

1. 1. do you feel you should be able to reload weapons with a partically empty magazine/cylinder directly

• no, i rather the system as it is right now.
    • yes, you should be able to top off all weapons without removeable mags (b95,mosin,sks,revolver) without emptying them first
  2. 2. the reload key (its function)

• should remain as it is now
    • should be a "smart" reload function, reloading your weapon with the best avilable option
  3. 3. reloading/unloading mags, both internal and external, with loose rounds

• should be instant as it is now
    • should be done round by round, and be interruptable

there's a few things about how ammunition is handled in the game that I wanted to address with possible fixes that would add to the realism, gameplay, and stop some nuisance oversights

I've been thinking about this for awhile and it took a bit to flesh out, so please be construction with your criticism:

1. the partial reload

one thing that bothers me about the game right now is that the only way to top off (partially reload) weapons without detachable magazines/cylinders is with a speed loader, otherwise you need to empty it first, and I don't follow that logic, especially in the case of internal magazine weapons like the sks and mosin, (I know there is a practice for break barrels and revolvers where you dump all shells/cartridges regardless of been fired, but that is a type of quick reload method)  I suggest that they allow putting rounds directly into the firearm without needing to unload it first.

2. speed loaders

also I wanted to talk about how reloading works with weapons using speed loaders/stripper clips . currently the only way to reload a gun GUI free is with a stripper clip or speed loader. I feel it would be a better system if pressing the reload key reloaded with your weapon with best available option, so if there were no stripper clips/speed loaders available, or your weapon was still over half full, your character should begin placing rounds directly in the magazine one by one until either full or you interrupt the action. and if a speed loader is used, it is placed empty back into your inventory and not into the gun. reloading an empty gun with a speed loader vs with loose ammunition, should be faster, nothing more.

3. instant unload/reload(dealing with loose rounds)

emptying/filling magazines(for all applicable weapons and scenarios) should be done real time, the action should change its quantity one bullet at a time until completed(faster to unload, slower to reload),it should be an interruptible action (stopped at the last bullet fed in) in case more pressing matters were to occur, and the time should be impacted by movement (slower for walking, slowest for running) this would be more to the original vision rocket showed of actually putting the magazine in your hand and dragging an ammo pile over it. this would prevent the limitless magazine shoot out where someone has two spare magazines and quickly fills one during a reload. which would set a better precedence on how many magazines it would be prudent to have on your person.

fully reloading a 30 round mag takes less then a minute in "ideal" conditions (about 30 seconds for those accustomed to it)

the coupled stanag mag. there's lots that could be done with this one way or the other:

1. if you aren't going to make the item function properly, please replace the model with a single 60 round magazine such as those offered by surefire, or some drum magazine, people will be happier

2. if you are keeping them, please create some fast reload animation/delay once the first magazine is emptied

3. if you're going to keep them, I'd like to be able to improvise a couple with some rope and duct tape on two stanag mags, which leads into #5

5. you should be able to couple two 30 round .22 magazines(with a 180° connection)  or any other suitably sized external magazine, with duct tape

I could only put 3 questions to the poll, but feel free to discuss and comment on any of these items. it took a few hours to get he ideas down straight and proof read, so please offer your support.

volume builds change

Edited by commanderbash
  • Like 3

I think part of the problem is that the game can't recognise individual rounds, or something like that. As far as I'm aware, pump shotguns haven't been implemented because of the way the engine handles reloading - that is you have to replace all of the bullets instead of replacing just the spent shells - like reloading a magazine. I have no idea how they managed to design a realistic military simulator without proper reloading (Arma 2 didn't feature many shotguns so that may be why) but it's apparently something they're working on fixing.

Hopefully once they've got a better reloading system we'll start seeing the systems you mentioned. It's definitely something I'd like to see, especially with the inventory drag and drop reload. I'm fine with long reload times, but having to go into my inventory every time is just tedious. 

Beans 4 u.

After thought:

Maybe if you interrupt the single round reload animation there's a chance for you to drop a bullet on the floor. You can pick it up again, of course, but that might not be possible if someone is running at you with a hatchet or you're being shot at.

Edited by BeefBacon

I think reloads should have more to do with where your ammo is.

If you have it in your pants pockets, hoodie pockets, or assault vest it should much faster than reloading from your bag, with assault & tactical vests being the fastest reloads.

With this pressing R should take the most full mag from your Assault vest, once that is empty you use you hoodie, and then you use your pants.

Having loose ammo should still require an inventory mode I think however.

The Mosin and SKS should be given clips that we can press R to reload with, this would mean changing loose SKS rounds to one by one animation.

Maybe there could be specail items that act like speed loaders while still using round by round loading, such as stock bandoliers, or chest banoliers.

I would also like with guns like the M4 to chamber a round, then put a mag in for the +1 bullet.

Draging more ammo into an internal mag gun should let us chamber a few more to get it full (no emptying then reloading).

Properly fuctioning dual mags are a must in my opinion (could be done on opposite ends with duct tape, slightly longer mag switch time than proper ones).

That's all I can think of, sorry for only skim reading your post too.

I think part of the problem is that the game can't recognise individual rounds, or something like that. As far as I'm aware, pump shotguns haven't been implemented because of the way the engine handles reloading - that is you have to replace all of the bullets instead of replacing just the spent shells - like reloading a magazine. I have no idea how they managed to design a realistic military simulator without proper reloading (Arma 2 didn't feature many shotguns so that may be why) but it's apparently something they're working on fixing.

Hopefully once they've got a better reloading system we'll start seeing the systems you mentioned. It's definitely something I'd like to see, especially with the inventory drag and drop reload. I'm fine with long reload times, but having to go into my inventory every time is just tedious. 

Beans 4 u.

After thought:

Maybe if you interrupt the single round reload animation there's a chance for you to drop a bullet on the floor. You can pick it up again, of course, but that might not be possible if someone is running at you with a hatchet or you're being shot at.

I've never programmed a game, so I have to ask if it's actually that much of a challenge to code a weapon tracking rounds. It seems like a very common feature in many games, like the Half-Life engine titles.

there's a few things about how ammunition is handled in the game that I wanted to address with possible fixes that would add to the realism, gameplay, and stop some nuisance oversights

I've been thinking about this for awhile and it took a bit to flesh out, so please be construction with your criticism:

1. the partial reload

one thing that bothers me about the game right now is that the only way to top off (partially reload) weapons without detachable magazines/cylinders is with a speed loader, otherwise you need to empty it first, and I don't follow that logic, especially in the case of internal magazine weapons like the sks and mosin, (I know there is a practice for break barrels and revolvers where you dump all shells/cartridges regardless of been fired, but that is a type of quick reload method) I suggest that they allow putting rounds directly into the firearm without needing to unload it first.

2. speed loaders

also I wanted to talk about how reloading works with weapons using speed loaders/stripper clips . currently the only way to reload a gun GUI free is with a stripper clip or speed loader. I feel it would be a better system if pressing the reload key reloaded with your weapon with best available option, so if there were no stripper clips/speed loaders available, or your weapon was still over half full, your character should begin placing rounds directly in the magazine one by one until either full or you interrupt the action. and if a speed loader is used, it is placed empty back into your inventory and not into the gun. reloading an empty gun with a speed loader vs with loose ammunition, should be faster, nothing more.

3. instant unload/reload(dealing with loose rounds)

emptying/filling magazines(for all applicable weapons and scenarios) should be done real time, the action should change its quantity one bullet at a time until completed(faster to unload, slower to reload),it should be an interruptible action (stopped at the last bullet fed in) in case more pressing matters were to occur, and the time should be impacted by movement (slower for walking, slowest for running) this would be more to the original vision rocket showed of actually putting the magazine in your hand and dragging an ammo pile over it. this would prevent the limitless magazine shoot out where someone has two spare magazines and quickly fills one during a reload. which would set a better precedence on how many magazines it would be prudent to have on your person.

fully reloading a 30 round mag takes less then a minute in "ideal" conditions (about 30 seconds for those accustomed to it)

the coupled stanag mag. there's lots that could be done with this one way or the other:

1. if you aren't going to make the item function properly, please replace the model with a single 60 round magazine such as those offered by surefire, or some drum magazine, people will be happier

2. if you are keeping them, please create some fast reload animation/delay once the first magazine is emptied

3. if you're going to keep them, I'd like to be able to improvise a couple with some rope and duct tape on two stanag mags, which leads into #5

5. you should be able to couple two 30 round .22 magazines(with a 180° connection) or any other suitably sized external magazine, with duct tape

I could only put 3 questions to the poll, but feel free to discuss and comment on any of these items. it took a few hours to get he ideas down straight and proof read, so please offer your support.

volume builds change

I made a detailed post on how I would like to see reloading work in my weapons thread also, here:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/171367-gameplay-mechanics-pt4-the-weapons/

Edited by akafugitive