Sign in to follow this  
fullmetalfire

A reasonable skill line.

It is well read that players what skills I believe any average skill line will not work for DayZ due to it's enormous build I think this skill line should be similar to the title (State Of Decay) the fact that you could boost cardio in this game by running in circles was a hurtful thought but with DayZ it could offer something as being restless or running increases hunger/thirst there are several ideas thank you developers and supporters for reading and may DayZ prosper.

post-196785-0-15176600-1393096214_thumb.

Skills = grind. While you could argue for them from the basis of 'authenticity' and/or 'realism', I'm not generally in favour of any system that leads to a grindable advantage of one player over another.

• Like 2

i doubt dayz would have skills or perks that are upgradable... its too mainstream in rpg games imo. 

i doubt dayz would have skills or perks that are upgradable... its too mainstream in rpg games imo. 

Yes, because zombies and m4 is not mainstream in games ;)

Skills = grind. While you could argue for them from the basis of 'authenticity' and/or 'realism', I'm not generally in favour of any system that leads to a grindable advantage of one player over another.

All it takes is 1 bullet to completely reset someone though. Don't you see the advantage to having some sort of progression system in a game where your character permanently dies? 

Here's an example of why the game needs this. I was playing with a friend and we were held up in this building. Knew someguy was outside with an M4. My buddy dropped all his gear except his M4 and went outside to kill this guy. Well he died, but it was all OK because I still had his gear. He respawned near Kamishovo and ran back over to Elektro to get his gear back.

What is your solution to this?

Whether you like it or not, the game should make characters worth more than loot. As of right now, this is the only good way to do it unless you have a better idea?

Edited by TripX7

Here's an example of why the game needs this. I was playing with a friend and we were held up in this building. Knew someguy was outside with an M4. My buddy dropped all his gear except his M4 and went outside to kill this guy. Well he died, but it was all OK because I still had his gear. He respawned near Kamishovo and ran back over to Elektro to get his gear back.

I fail to see how a skill advancement system is a solution here. How would it have changed your friends decision? Are you honestly saying that because of a grindable skill system, your friend would rather just stay inside and wait for the other guy to cut him down rather than risk it's loss. I don't believe it for a minute, sorry. He'd still be heading out there, skills be damned, and just come back for his gear as he did without them. All he has to do is spend a bit of time regrinding to get back to where he was. But he's still got his gear, right?

So still no. It is not necessary or required.

But, it looks like we both sort-of lose: (from Live stream with Rocket  (20.02.2014) - from reddit, thanks to rudette)

Full list of items mentioned here: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/175596-summary-of-dev-qas-from-streams/

Skills: It will mainly be passively skillbased. So as you get better at repairing certain things, you will be able to repair more and more badly damaged stuff. It won't be something you'll put a skillpoint in. It will only be the more you do it, the better you get at it.

Edited by DJPorterNZ

I fail to see how a skill advancement system is a solution here. How would it have changed your friends decision? Are you honestly saying that because of a grindable skill system, your friend would rather just stay inside and wait for the other guy to cut him down rather than risk it's loss. I don't believe it for a minute, sorry. He'd still be heading out there, skills be damned, and just come back for his gear as he did without them. All he has to do is spend a bit of time regrinding to get back to where he was. But he's still got his gear, right?

So still no. It is not necessary or required.

But, it looks like we both sort-of lose: (from Live stream with Rocket  (20.02.2014) - from reddit, thanks to rudette)

Full list of items mentioned here: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/175596-summary-of-dev-qas-from-streams/

I'm not losing anything. I watched that stream, even asked the question about progression where he talked about repairing items. I think it's the direction the game should head in. It's exactly what I want. 

I think you misunderstand the point of character progression. My buddy wouldn't have dropped his gear and YOLO'd to near certain death if his characters life had value that exceeded his gear. If his character had survived along time and he had alot of those "passive" type skills (cooking, repairing, etc etc) that he valued and wouldn't want to lose, than why would he still run outside completely naked?

It is pretty much an obvious way to make the game more fun and it also fixes that issue of characters not having any value. I'm glad that's where it will be going.

I'm all for skills as long as they focus on zombie killing, so no survivor would have advantage (at least not a big one) over another

I like the Idea of skills that enhance the game and make you want to look after your character. But I agree that you can't grind them to max and stay there job done.  Make them like real life you have to constantly work at them to keep them at peak performance. If you don't use it, it degrades over time. So yes you shoot 100 times and can hit the butt of a gnat, but once you are there you have to maintain it if you don't shoot for a while the skill has diminished and you have to practice again to get it back. And make the lvl run in the background like hydration and energy and bright green your some where at the top lvl, red not very good, but better than some one with out the skill. Then its up to you how much effort you put in it to maintain your skill. It could have a down side like for shooting you will have to use up some of your ammunition, could give your position away and might attract zeds.

I don't see how it could be considered 'grinding' at all.

In real life, if you want to get better at something, you do it multiple times until you understand it.

It's not like when your character dies, all the skills stay when you respawn.