Mr Jizz

Animals - A discussion / I'm excited for this..

I wanted to start a little discussion, hopefully a nice resource for the developers to gauge interest, make suggestions and have some fun.

In LaughingJack's awesome write-up of the recent Q&A's with Dean and Hicks, there were a few mentions of animals in the game.  As with so many of the things discussed, there's a lot of time between today and implementation, but its an exciting thing to add more to the environmental scope of this amazing game. 

In it he mentioned 3 primary types of animals..

• Predators (wolves, bears)
  • Prey (Cattle, deer, rabbits, goats, etc.)
  • Domestic (Dogs, Horses)

Regarding Predators, I think the addition is a great thing.  The game needs more elements that give a player the challenge of surviving the environment. Currently, in terms of threat level, players are the most dangerous, followed by infected, then the environment.  Obviously the improved medical system, sickness, and infection will up the ante; but I would love it if they got this game to the point where the environment was actually most likely to kill you, followed by the infected, then players (as I believe it would be in reality). In the absence of a requirement for sleep, lower digestion and obscure but important medical concerns like dental hygiene, nature can only kill you so many ways.  The whole reason Human beings are social is because it became genetically relevant  when we were living in caves to work together to survive.  This is consequently why Neanderthals, being inherently anti-social, died off.  Thus a truly dangerous environment would spark new reasons for player cooperation instead of meaningless violence.

Lets not ignore the fact that Wolf and Bear pelts would make badass clothing options, and the bones/claws/skulls could be used for crafting.

Regarding prey, this will likely be the first stage.  We've all seen rabbits, hopping around make zombie noises; its just a matter of time before we'll be able to shoot them for meat (and hides?). Adding deer, if coded properly could introduce a major test of skill; while adding cattle/goats/chickens/etc. would be a great way to implement a lot of game mechanics, and make food more interesting than dry rice or beans.

Regarding domestic animals, well shoot, someday these will have dozens of threads of their own.  For now I just want to dream about the awesomeness of charging through Cherno on a thoroughbred.  Horse thievery? Saddlebags? Cavalry fighting? Horse arching? Emergency horse meat? There's a ton of fun to be unlocked with horses that you just won't get from a Yugo GV!  With Horses and Dogs alike there should be a "persistent storage" element, meaning your dog or your steed spawn/despawn with you.  Horses (& dogs) should also have an element of care included, like feeding, watering, stamina, and medical concerns.  This makes it as much a new way to play as a new way to get yourself in trouble.

Dogs are easy, but utility is clear. Protection from zombies, early warning (of players, predators or infected), perhaps additional gear storage with a fashionable pack, and of course entertainment.  We can throw soon, so fetch could happen.  A command system could also be implemented to use F-key gestures or linked vocal commands, for things like sit, stay, attack, laydown, play dead, etc.

Domestication should be relatively straight-forward.  Something akin to Minecraft, with items that can be used to 'tame' a wild dog and create the attachment to make it yours (perhaps another use for bones?).

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.

Edited by Mr Jizz
  • Like 4

more time spent on animals other than huntable ones = WASTE OF TIME

this is not ULTRA WILDERNESS PRO HUNTING SIM

wait, SHOOT THINGS FROM HORSEBACK, YES, YES, ADD THAT!!!1

AND DOGS!

AND WOLVES!

AND

AND

*BROKEN ZOMBIES NEVER FIXED*

• Like 6

This is going to be awesome when zomb dogs will be in the game. The whole forum will be full of whining people "Just spawned zomb dog killed me" :D

Didn't your mother ever tell you if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all? It's not like they are stopping all development to put animals in, god damn I'm sick if this whole "the devs can only do one thing at a time" mentality. What the hell?

Back on topic, being that I just read about them, I haven't thought a great deal about it, but it will be nice to have other predators then man and infected man, having the occasional bear rip your face off would be interesting and defiantly add to the game and a serious rethink of the lone wolf tactics I'm employing (run to woods, eat berries)

I'd never thought as far as having a nice bearskin rug to keep me warm and dry thru the cold night's the bones could be used as improvised weapons bone arrow heads anyone?

Today has had a few twist's for me so it's getting exciting hope all works out as intended.

• Like 2

Didn't your mother ever tell you if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all? It's not like they are stopping all development to put animals in, god damn I'm sick if this whole "the devs can only do one thing at a time" mentality. What the hell?

Back on topic, being that I just read about them, I haven't thought a great deal about it, but it will be nice to have other predators then man and infected man, having the occasional bear rip your face off would be interesting and defiantly add to the game and a serious rethink of the lone wolf tactics I'm employing (run to woods, eat berries)

I'd never thought as far as having a nice bearskin rug to keep me warm and dry thru the cold night's the bones could be used as improvised weapons bone arrow heads anyone?

Today has had a few twist's for me so it's getting exciting hope all works out as intended.

are you a child? this is ALPHA.

If enough people say HURR DURR I WANT BEARS AND DOGS AND CATS AND I WANT THEM ALL TO LIVE IN MY GIANT BASE WHERE I BREED HORSES AND MAKE NEW VIRUSES IN MY LAB AND I CRAFT AND FARM MATS AND MAKE A CUSTOM TOON....

this stops being survival horror. this stops being dynamic sandbox.

this stops being dayZ

this becomes ZOMBIE MINECRAFT SUPER RUST MMO ADVENTURE

are you a child? this is ALPHA.

If enough people say HURR DURR I WANT BEARS AND DOGS AND CATS AND I WANT THEM ALL TO LIVE IN MY GIANT BASE WHERE I BREED HORSES AND MAKE NEW VIRUSES IN MY LAB AND I CRAFT AND FARM MATS AND MAKE A CUSTOM TOON....

this stops being survival horror. this stops being dynamic sandbox.

this stops being dayZ

this becomes ZOMBIE MINECRAFT SUPER RUST MMO ADVENTURE

awesome now I know to skip over every post you make. Thanks!

On topic, I would love the addition of predator animals, along with food resources as deer.

Edited by Ugly
  • Like 2

Pacific_coast, listen 'bro', the purpose of this thread is simply to discuss the possibilities of a game element the WILL come. But just so you can sleep soundly tonight without wetting yourself, the vast majority of what was discussed in the Q&A was about streamlining gameplay, medicine, loot spawning, improving zombies and solving hacks/exploits.

No one said anything about farms.

/derail

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to wearing an entire bearskin, and running around the woods near the coast shouting, "RRRAAAARRRRGGGHHH" at new spawns

• Like 2

What I'm excited for are the potential for craftables:

Leather, racks for tanning leather, fur, skinning knives.
Leather bags, pouches, bandoliers, clothes, coats, ect.

Not only will your camp feel cozy, but it will also be functional and have purpose.

Edited by Rudette
  • Like 2

This is going to be awesome when zomb dogs will be in the game. The whole forum will be full of whining people "Just spawned zomb dog killed me" :D

Zombie dogs is one thing I never want in this game. Not only are most infections species-specific but zombie dogs terrify me since the Resident Evil games.

• Like 3

Zombie dogs is one thing I never want in this game. Not only are most infections species-specific but zombie dogs terrify me since the Resident Evil games.

every post since my last one to this one was "DAYZ NEEDS TO BE SKYRIM RIGHT NOW"

but with dogs! zombie dogs! and bears! zombie bears!

and horses.... and... ZOMBIE HORSES

Pacific_coast, listen 'bro', the purpose of this thread is simply to discuss the possibilities of a game element the WILL come. But just so you can sleep soundly tonight without wetting yourself, the vast majority of what was discussed in the Q&A was about streamlining gameplay, medicine, loot spawning, improving zombies and solving hacks/exploits.

No one said anything about farms.

/derail

Sadly, that is the end game here.

these people don't want to play a zombie survival sandbox.

they want some hybrid of minecraft/rust/skyrim

they dont give a single fuck about zombies

they just want to build a cabin and ride a horse and walk their virtual dog.

farming is imminent when you take crafting and basebuilding to the extent people seem to want. sigh.

I can't wait to find bear traps. I will be placing them in all schools and firestations :)

Bear traps would will be amazing.

• Like 1

Sadly, that is the end game here.

these people don't want to play a zombie survival sandbox.

they want some hybrid of minecraft/rust/skyrim

they dont give a single fuck about zombies

they just want to build a cabin and ride a horse and walk their virtual dog.

farming is imminent when you take crafting and basebuilding to the extent people seem to want. sigh.

I doubt farming's got much relevance to DayZ. You'd have to wait so long for anything to grow that it wouldn't be worth it.

But animals are coming, like it or not. The dangerous ones and the food-source ones for sure (and possibly quite soon); the tameable ones not definitely confirmed.

I doubt farming's got much relevance to DayZ. You'd have to wait so long for anything to grow that it wouldn't be worth it.

But animals are coming, like it or not. The dangerous ones and the food-source ones for sure (and possibly quite soon); the tameable ones not definitely confirmed.

yeah, great, good.

deer. deer you can eat.

bears? wolves? dogs? horses?

can i haz cats and goldfish?

the point of a bear or wolf in game is what? immersion?

or something for the people who want to hunt and craft a "prestine bear skin armor set"

this is getting silly

Bears and wolves: to give you another thing to worry about if you're spending your time in the wilderness away from the zombies.

Dogs and horses: because... alright, I kind of agree this idea is a bit mad... but I guess just because it's plausible to the scenario?

dog would be awesome because you'd want to protect him/her from any harm, whether it be bandits, zombies, predators, etc.. One reason I loved fallout 3 was because of DOGMEAT :) <3

• Like 1

more time spent on animals other than huntable ones = WASTE OF TIME

this is not ULTRA WILDERNESS PRO HUNTING SIM

wait, SHOOT THINGS FROM HORSEBACK, YES, YES, ADD THAT!!!1

AND DOGS!

AND WOLVES!

AND

AND

*BROKEN ZOMBIES NEVER FIXED*

Tell me, which animals are "non-huntable". You can hunt and shoot everything if you want.

I'll hunt and shoot all of you!

and by hunt I mean wait somewhere for you guys to run by

and by you guys I mean anyone random person regardless of whether or not they post on this forum

On topic OP, the addition of all the animals you named will add so much to the world of DayZ. 

The more survivalist elements added the better IMO. Bring on the environment as a serious threat.

Holy threat trinity of this game needs to be environment, zoms, then players.

Will make it so much more interesting for those of us with a mental capacity higher than a root vegetable.

• Like 1

Hello there

DAYZ will have some very skyrimesque things in it whether one wants them or not.

Now, its fine to have opinions but dont shoot people down because their opinion differs from yours and also dont think a few posts will utterly change the direction of the already existing roadmap.

Things do change, but if they do it will  be rockets and the devs decision.

If they decide to add my little ponies then it wont be down to the MLP thread here, itll be because the devs want them.

Have a reasoned argument. Capitals and !!!!1! are not the way forward.

Friendly warning to all

Rgds

LoK

• Like 5

Im in favour of animal threats, the AI should be extremily low, like only attack when startled and limited to VERY few location and VERY few amounts. The prize for killing them?: Nothing, just wasting a bullet or two to keep yourself safe, no bear meat, no bear claws nor fur, just a dead animal in the way to make other player know someone has been there

yeah, great, good.

deer. deer you can eat.

bears? wolves? dogs? horses?

can i haz cats and goldfish?

the point of a bear or wolf in game is what? immersion?

or something for the people who want to hunt and craft a "prestine bear skin armor set"

this is getting silly

I love reading your posts you have such a hate for the game its almost funny.. Hey i like zombies to but strangely i realize when rocket first started making the mod it actually had nothing to do with zombies it was purely intended as a survival game based on his experiences in the army...

Will they work on zeds sure will they get them decent maybe but in the end they will most likely end up a back drop to the setting... Even if you listen to Rocket get excited talking about the game its the survival elements of the game he is passionate about he wants to make zeds better but doesnt get excited about it ... The rv engine may not be able to produce zeds you will trully be happy with...

Zeds were added for the cool factor and as explanation for the survival scenario, dayz was born .. Players were always to be the star of the show so to speak...

Now as for animals he did say 3 levels of animal food companion and predator so for me it would be deer dogs/horses maybe, wolves anything on top of that will be a bonus

There is wants and there is realistic belief