Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Update Rev. 0.36.115535 (Experimental branch)

It's been stated time and time again that they are working on new Zombie AI, new zombie physics (rag doll), and zombie spawn and respawn mechanics.  As the poster above said.  It's pointless to add it little by little when they are working on major code improvements that don't just happen over night.  As far as copying the code from the mod over... It's not that easy, all that code from the mod would have to be ported, then re-coded to fit the new mechanics of the zombies that are being worked on.  If you've ever coded ANYTHING in your life you'd know that its far far easier to re-write the code from scratch than it is to try and sift through thousands of lines of code and make the necessary changes to it.

• Like 1

From what I understand it isn't easy for them to just copy things from the mod into this standalone. The devs have said lots of times that they are working on big changes for zombies, including respawning without server restart. People ask for this on a daily basis but it will presumably take months of work to have a whole new system for the zombies and it would be a waste of time and energy to make small changes now if the whole zombie AI is being overhauled.

As for the larger servers, I assume it is less costly to the server to have some extra players than to dramatically increase the number of zombies, which use lots of processing power to control, so at least you are more likely to encounter some more PvP situations while you're waiting for the new zombie system to be introduced.

This game was only released ~3 months ago and has improved A LOT since then. Saying that you suspect the devs will 'never be able to provide that feature as planned' is very premature at this stage. You have to be patient, it may be several years before this game is finished, what you play today is a stage in development that would normally only be seen by a few hundred people, not 1,500,000!

I don't think that 50 players + including their saved gear etc have less impact on performance than adding a few more zombies and I am defenetely not moaning about missing zombie variations, not functioning pathfinfing, no collision, no proper Ai, no proper damage system shitty sounds etc etc etc since I also know this is alpha ( I am around here on the forums since the very beginning I am not completely stupid....).but taking into account that adding more players will cost performance resources...adding animals will cost performance resources....adding loot respawn will cost resources...adding numerous towns and locations will also have impact on the performance as well as adding features like vehicles, tents, loot storages, basebuilding etc makes me wonder if it will even be possible to add the pure number of zombies that would be necessary for a nice zombie apocalypse scenario.

Just imagine how many zeds they will just have to place at the new locations in the north and on Utes ( not being sure if there are even more new islands planned).I think we can be happy if we will see respawning zombies added to all locations( including the new areas) mayby slightly inreased in number compared to what we have right now. Probably they will try to compensate that by making them more dangerous and deadly. But I am pretty sure that it will never be possible to add the masses and hoards that we all would like to see using the current system ( spwaning them all at server start). 

And this is why I start to think that servers for 50 players and the zombie spawn system sytem which is used in the mod would be probably better (zombies only spawn if players are around but in large numbers)

as I also said these are just my thoughts....no rant or moaning...

no need to call the fanboy police ....

Edited by Private Evans

My main point was just that the game is obviously a long way from finished, so I don't know why you're already saying that anything is impossible. Unless you know something we don't...Rasputin?

• Like 1

This has been answered several times already in this thread, go find the answer, there's a good forum user!

This has been answered several times already in this thread, go find the answer, there's a good forum user!

It took you longer to type that then just giving him the answer. 

My main point was just that the game is obviously a long way from finished, so I don't know why you're already saying that anything is impossible. Unless you know something we don't...Rasputin?

I didn't say that it will be defenetely impossible but by looking at the current server performance status and taking into account that coming server performance improvments will be equalized by new implemented stuff ( like more players, animals, loot and zombie respawn, loot containers, persistent storage , vehicles, basebuilding keeping dead bodies for a longer time, new map areas  etc etc) it does not look that good for large zed hoards....is that so hard to understand...even as a longtime fan and forum member I do not have to like and believe everything just because the game is alpha ...I also do not like the uni sex approach ..but.that's just me

as it seems it is not possible anymore to discuss things here on the forums properly without running into new members who think they must defend their beloved game even if their only argument is  "ALPHA"...

honestly this sucks ...no wonder more and more old regulars are gone or do not post that often here anymore....

• Like 3

I didn't say that it will be defenetely impossible but by looking at the current server performance status and taking into account that coming server performance improvments will be equalized by new implemented stuff ( like more players, animals, loot and zombie respawn, loot containers, persistent storage , vehicles, basebuilding keeping dead bodies for a longer time, new map areas  etc etc) it does not look that good for large zed hoards....is that so hard to understand...even as a longtime fan and forum member I do not have to like and believe everything just because the game is alpha ...I also do not like the uni sex approach ..but.that's just me

as it seems it is not possible anymore to discuss things here on the forums properly without running into new members who think they must defend their beloved game even if their only argument is  "ALPHA"...

honestly this sucks ...no wonder more and more old regulars are gone or do not post that often here anymore....

they are still lurking...mostly in the off topic section ;)

• Like 2

It took you longer to type that then just giving him the answer. 

Yup, was trying to make a point. I wish people would use the search function more, I think this same question has been asked and answered about 5 times in the this thread by now! My sarcastic response was probably not the best way to go, I apologise.

I'm honestly not trying to be reactionary or defensive, I just seriously don't know how or why you are making these predictions about a game that is so early in development. But I guess the reason I keep responding to you, despite the fact you are fairly sarcastic and hostile, is that I'd like to know what you're trying to achieve with your post.

I'm not saying no one can complain about DayZ, although personally I think it is a pretty strange way to approach a development team that seem very keen on listening to player feedback and have already made changes directly in response to feedback from players (e.g. the eat-all function). But I would argue that making polite inquiries and suggestions (after spending a few minutes searching to see if your topic is already under discussion) is more likely to be helpful, and maybe even foster a friendlier environment. Cheers.

• Like 1

they are still lurking...mostly in the off topic section ;)

I  guess that's the best solution...

It's been stated time and time again that they are working on new Zombie AI, new zombie physics (rag doll), and zombie spawn and respawn mechanics.  As the poster above said.  It's pointless to add it little by little when they are working on major code improvements that don't just happen over night.  As far as copying the code from the mod over... It's not that easy, all that code from the mod would have to be ported, then re-coded to fit the new mechanics of the zombies that are being worked on.  If you've ever coded ANYTHING in your life you'd know that its far far easier to re-write the code from scratch than it is to try and sift through thousands of lines of code and make the necessary changes to it.

PLease please quote. They said time and time again zombie AI was being reworked MONTHS ago as in before the alpha released. And than, silence for months and months untill this day. And Like someone mentioned above, WHY the hell would they choose more players over more zombies with those FPS and server optimizations?? Because they care more about PVP than a zombie survival game. It sucks, but thats what they are showing. 

Because they care more about PVP than a zombie survival game. It sucks, but thats what they are showing. 

-_- Really?

PLease please quote. They said time and time again zombie AI was being reworked MONTHS ago as in before the alpha released. And than, silence for months and months untill this day. And Like someone mentioned above, WHY the hell would they choose more players over more zombies with those FPS and server optimizations?? Because they care more about PVP than a zombie survival game. It sucks, but thats what they are showing. 

Simple! Players require far fewer server-side resources to process than do the fully computed Zs. Just think about it for a minute. Players do all the processing on their available actions between their ears and all the server has to do is update their positions and manage any changes in state or inventory, both of which only require memory space and a minimum of CPU computation. Zs on the other hand, don't have inventory, so a big chunk of memory isn't required. But in the per-frame processing time on the server, Zs have to be checked to see if they hear anything they need to react to, see anything they have to react to, decide if they are moving and in what direction to do so. This is a very simplistic generallisation of what is happening in the engine, but what you should hopefully see is that Z are an order of magnitude more CPU resource hungry on the server than a player ever will be.

That being said, they have increased the Z numbers in recent patches along with the few higher player count servers. But as stated, increasing numbers is only part of the plan for Zs overall. Programming is non-trivial at the best of times and halfway decent AI programming even more so. I'd rather wait for them to get it right rather than rush out some quick and dirty substandard BS version.

In the pre-Alpha videos there were no instances of Zs in great numbers. I'm thinking that AI that worked for a few instantiations and was excellent wouldn't neccessarily scale up to the 10s of thousands they eventually want to have scattered across the map.

• Like 2

Nice! And also looking forward to next patch for persistent objects.

I agree on what is being discussed before, Zombies can’t be walking through walls at this stage. I think this is a basic gameplay priority fix instead of continue adding more features.. that’s my opinion.

• Like 1

Hi, I'm new.

loving the game and this latest update. 

I also know what "early access" and "alpha" mean!  ;)

As much as I want to see more zombies, respawning zombies, zombies not walking through walls at me, etc. It makes me happy to see more content and new game mechanics being added on a regular basis.

Large, more complex features require a lot more work and head-scratching to complete and I'm happy to wait until these parts are working properly.

In the mean time I will be happy with the little things.

thanks for making a great game!

Happy hunting!

Edited by weaselbass
  • Like 4

YOU bought this game while it was in Alpha even with te warnings that it was not complete and it would have bugs. The devs dont focus on one thing at a time, they have different people working on different things, and as they finish each thing they add it in as the rest work on bugs and such.

So while one person is doing berries, another is trying to fix major bugs. Then when the berries finish they add it in while the other keeps working on the bug. Now you may be too stupid to realize that as you seem to he around 14 in age (based off your comment) but thats how its done. Now kindly WAIT TILL ITS DONE IF YOU DONT WANT BUGS

who are you to make opinion about my age? ur nothing! just one living person in this world! 

i dont care its alpha,beta,gamma,or what! i know its an alpha i can read! like i sayd, its my opinion about game and progress! be a fan girl, go and pick berries! game for me is unplayable!

Edited by Lilbo

• Animations: New Ruger 10/22 reload animations

I don't get this....? Why are we getting Ruger 10/22 animations but not the actual gun?

Posting a link to this article, as looking through the repeated questions and suggestions here, some of you may not have seen it already: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/175596-summary-of-dev-qas-from-streams/. It contains a lot of the points from the streams made by Dean and the other Devs. There is a lot of interesting info collated there.

I don't get this....? Why are we getting Ruger 10/22 animations but not the actual gun?

And what good would having the gun be if it wasn't animated? Without the animations the gun would be unuseable. By the time the patch goes live, the gun may indeed be ready, but you have to have all the boxes ticked in the correct order for it to be of any value. They are at least getting to it.

Edited by DJPorterNZ
  • Like 2

who are you to make opinion about my age? ur nothing! just one living person in this world! 

i dont care its alpha,beta,gamma,or what! i know its an alpha i can read! like i sayd, its my opinion about game and progress! be a fan girl, go and pick berries! game for me is unplayable!

If you don't care about it's stage in development, why are you here testing? When you paid for this game, you paid for the full release, but with alpha and beta testing. Think of it like that and you can't moan, because your essentially an alpha tester, and by purchasing the product you have taken the responsibility of testing the game. You say the game is unplayable, and I'm sure the devs would agree with you, but rather than flaming the discussion thread, why not manifest your rage into an eligible bug report?

If your going to complain about content, don't bother, because the team can only work so fast, while producing the same quality additions that you and me both want. I can guarantee you there will be bugs for tents. They could range from graphical errors to, god forbid, duplication glitches. Now would you rather bitch about the lack of content, surplus of bugs in that rushed content, or actually help the devs develop the game?

Please watch this:

• Like 7

Are the zombies in the experimental less "tough" than on regular? 

I played the experimental on Friday and punched several zombies with my fists and they died really fast. On regular it takes several knockouts to the zombies before they die and on experimental the first knockout = dead.