Sign in to follow this  
crazykage

CCSD (Chernarus Creapy Stuff Division) Black Forest Infestation Investigation:

As many are not aware of the existence of the CCSD (arousing some confusion in the thread that birthed this investigation), and also to centralize information found on the issue, as well as to provide a location to provide more information as it is found in an organized fashion where it can be easily found without sifting through dozens of posts, and lastly, to give the issue greater exposure to the survivor community, I, CO leader of the CCSD (alongside Rydekk), have created this topic to serve all these ends. For more information about the origin of the CCSD, read this thread: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/168707-the-ccsd-chernarian-creepy-stuff-department-needs-investigators-for-the-radio-transmission-mystery/?hl=ccsd

CCSD Investigation of Black Forest Infestation:

Mission: To investigate claims by many survivors of being attacked by hitherto unheard of groups of zombies localized to a forested area, namely Black Forest, rather than towns or cities, and if true, to ascertain weather or not this phenomenon is unique to Black Forest, or if it is in fact a widespread occurrence (other infested forests or areas not typically associated with the threat of zombie infestation).

Background/History: The phenomenon was first brought to the attention of the CCSD by codename "Windowlicker", in this communique:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/173247-ccsd-investigation-request/

Further communications from the survivor community revealed that not only was W.L. NOT the first to discover this, but that it has also been true for some time, yet somehow escaped broad community awareness, despite others having brought the issue to light in the recent past, but for some reason not seeing the issue gain much exposure.

Current:

Investigations carried out by myself, Jonah_Hobbes, and testimonials from members of the survivor community have confirmed beyond doubt: BLACK FOREST IS INFECTED. What is more, is that the infection area is not simply localized to the area of the roads and the few buildings in B.F., but is in fact wide-spread throughout the B.F. area. Exercise extreme caution when in this area.

Relevant data:

After exploring the area in and around black forest on several servers, I have reached the following conclusions:

1: Black Forest IS IN FACT infested with the dead.

2: I encountered and killed roughly 15 of the dead on the first trip, 20 on the second, and 17 on the third. On subsequent trips, I focused more on trying to pin down a general area of spawn, rather than hard numbers (failed to do so).

3: Approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of the zombies I encountered where either on, or nearby (within 100 meters) the road that passes through black forest, and in particular, the area around the "T" junction. The rest were found scattered around hill tops, and occasionally wandering in small open clearings. I can CONFIRM that they are not simply spawning on or near the road or the few buildings in the wood. They can and DO appear throughout the rest of the area, more than 150-250 meters away from the roads. What is disturbing about this is that it is impossible to know just how many may be there. My earlier attempts to count the numbers only account for those that I encountered. Further, about 3/4 of the deep woods encounters were a result of me being spotted first. They seem to have heightened senses of smell or hearing, as many chased after me without any direct line of sight, while I was not aware of them until they growled or were so close that I could hear their shambling footsteps. MANY times I would slay one, only to turn back to go on my way and find a second only  feet away. Often they seemed to come after me one after another, attacking me from behind as I dealt with the threat to the fore. Traveler beware: It is very easy to find yourself ambushed.

4. I CANNOT confirm the existence of any "horde", as I failed at any time to find more than 4 or 5 in one area, and even then they were somewhat spread out. It seems likely however, that one group might wander into another, or two groups might spawn nearby each other, creating the illusion of a horde. Also, if running near the T junction, it is possible a survivor may attract several zombies form the nearby tree line, and be unaware of them giving chase until they stop farther ahead when encountering another group. Then the first group catches up, and the survivor finds himself surrounded (I was able to force this to happen with a little deliberate effort). Regardless, the possibility of a genuine horde cannot be totally dismissed just yet, and horde or no, it can be safely said that no part of black forest is safe (do not log out there!), as BOTH the road/buildings, and general forest are infested.

5. I also took the opportunity to explore Lesnoy Khrebet, the small wood just west of black forest. While there I DIDNOT encounter a single zombie, although I DID find a rather mysteriously placed radio tower, which was just uphill from the ruins of a small camp (ruined fence/wall, small outhouse shack, and an empty fireplace). Note to the CCSD to further investigate this site with radio equipment (which I lacked at the time) in the future.

I hereby dub the site "Camp Lesnoy", at coordinates 083-078.

Summary:

TRAVEL ADVISORY! It is highly recommended that any survivors avoid this area at all costs. There is little to nothing of value to be found in the area, and it is occupied by scattered groups of the dead. Due to the dense foliage and low visibility, and the dead's heightened senses of hearing and/or smell, they can easily detect you before you can detect them, resulting in survivors accidently drawing unto themselves more and more dead as they pass through the area.

If you MUST pass through, it is recommended that you do so quickly, do so armed, and do NOT stop to rest (log out). You may find yourself being attacked in your sleep (while stuck after logout, or while stuck during login).

Further data will be added as it is acquired.

That is all.

PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE:

Here we see two zeds, one to my front, one to my left. After taking picture and dispatching them, I was attacked by a third from the rear.

2014_02_12_00002.jpg

An example of one of the dead found in an open clearing, right smack in the middle of the forest.

2014_02_12_00003.jpg

2014_02_12_00004.jpg

After dispatching this one near the top of a hill, far from the roads and buildings, I was attacked in sequence by 3 more.

2014_02_12_00005.jpg

Spotted a 4th as I was moving down off the hill.

2014_02_12_00006.jpg

The campsite and radio tower in Lesnoy Khrebet, coordinates 083-078

2014_02_12_00007.jpg

2014_02_12_00008.jpg

EDIT: all of these images were taken from my first trip. Subsequent trips were much the same.

LAST REPORT FROM INVESTIGATIVE RANGER JONAH HOBBES

CCSD Agent Jonah_Hobbes reporting in

Due to an increase in eye witness accounts of this phenomenon. I restocked, checked my map and proceeded south to (091 075).

At approx (092 074) I made first contact with 2 Infected near the fork at the path. As I continued towards (091 075) I encountered a further 2 Infected and shortly afterwards another for a total of 5.

Once I had established that there were no further Infected in the immediate area I then involved myself in a short and quite stressful engagement with my pursuers.

Thankfully I managed to dispatch them all and presently the Infected pose no danger to travelers in the Black Forest on this server.

0YvtcTt.jpg

c3xN5XO.jpg

This encounter poses a worrying issue.

Are the Infected now establishing themselves into groups?

This concept leaves me aghast.

Fellow agents of CCSD, as CrazyKage suggests we must investigate further afield. Although I dare not think it, I believe this is not an isolated incident.

Over and Out.

Jonah_Hobbes CCSD Field Agent (Australasia Branch)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NEXT TRANSMISSION WILL INCLUDE ONGOING AREAS OF INVESTIGATION

END TRANSMISSION.

• Like 15

CCSD BLACK FOREST INFESTATION INVESTIGATION (CONT.)

ONGOING:

While it has been confirmed that B.F. is in fact infested, more remains to be done. It is necessary to continue to explore B.F. for the purpose of acquiring any further relevant data, as well as to further corroborate the validity of the fact. Therefore, all members of the community are encouraged to report past or present findings, either confirming or denying this issue. Survivors are NOT encouraged to investigate B.F. themselves, as this is extremely dangerous. Report only on past findings. If you investigate on your own, you do so at your own risk. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Further, as stated previously, it is necessary to determine if this is a phenomenon localized and unique to Black Forest, OR if it is in fact a global issue.

Some recommended areas that seem likely candidates (remote areas typically not associated with infestation):

Green mountain

Lesnoy Khrebet (just west of black forest) [recently checked by myself; no signs of infestation detected. more investigation required]

Dubina

Rog

Windy Mountain (also the forested area just south of windy mountain, which is the location of a strange statue and ham radio, if I recall correctly)

Klen, and surrounding forest

Black Mountain

Ostry (Thoroughly explored all roads, structures, and surround forest. No Infected detected)

Coordinates 103-025 (Area appears to be nothing more than an old pine tree farm. No infected detected)

Devils Castle and surrounding forest\

UNRELATED:

"Camp Lesnoy", at coordinates 083-078. Further investigation for infestation required, as well as the need for a radio crew to check for signals in this particularly suspicious location, as noted in my original report in the first transmission.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This concludes my report on all current data. More corroborating reports can be found in the original thread, that while lacking in details, at least lend to the validity of CCSD's current conclusions (http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/173247-ccsd-investigation-request/page-3)

Good luck, and stay alive people

Kage out.

Edited by Crazykage
  • Like 7

I dig this post quite a bit, good job with your expedition :D. 

Of note though.... these are 28 days later zombies, so they're not dead... supposedly... just a form of rabies if I'm not mistaken? 

I can note from extensive travel in the region that

Ostry- No know infected in region and hillsides.

Klen- No known infected, South, West quarter, unexplored.

These observations where done casually and where done in a general manner, not looking for anything specific. A more extensive examination will be required, but passing through and exploring the area's has resulted in no encounters.

Edited by Window Licker

I dig this post quite a bit, good job with your expedition :D. 

Of note though.... these are 28 days later zombies, so they're not dead... supposedly... just a form of rabies if I'm not mistaken? 

To some in the CCSD the infected, those monsters are dead to us. Hence the term "the dead'

Edited by Jonah_Hobbes

I really like this mistery-stuff!! :D

The other topic with the radio transmissions was quiet better, but anyway... very interesting! :)

Green Mountain is clear. It has the usual Z activity.

I would have put money on Green Mountain having an increase in Z numbers.

Strangely this is both reassuring and alarming at the same time.

Good: that we have not got the Infected working together in groups as we saw in the Black Forest

Bad: Why then the Black Forest??  What is happening there that we don't know about?

I will continue to investigate

J_H

Edited by Jonah_Hobbes

Bump for updated information in the "ongoing" section. Updated list of sites requiring investigation.

Checked black forest a final time. Found high numbers of zombies scattered throughout the woods.

hippocrates311 (http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/173247-ccsd-investigation-request/):

"Last night me and my buddy went to black mountain, there were only a few zones no hordes. After realizing where we were, we then headed to black forest, check the structures, nothing to note about, finally ran to the top of the hill. We were boxing for 5mins were upon i knocked my buddy out and handcuffed him. Then seemingly out of no where 2 zombies spawned ran up hill and i wasn't able to bring my firearm out and we died. something strange is happening there".  

You were warned, hippo. "Avoid this area at all costs. If you MUST travel through it do so quickly, do so armed, and do not stop to rest..."

Because of your irresponsibility, your friend paid the ultimate price, and so did you: you died. I hope that on your next reincarnation, you will be a little smarter about your actions...

• Like 3

any news? :)

Yes, in fact. Had a slight delay due to a glitched character (logged in after a server restart with all of my gear gone and broken legs). After respawning and acquiring the necessities, I can rule out the following places for infection:

Black Mountain, with the exception of the castle, where zombies do spawn. The surrounding forest is clear.

Green Mountain with the exception of the tower facility. The surrounding forest is clear.

And Lesnoy Khrebet forest. Updating OP now.

EDIT: Camp Lesnoy still requires investigation with a radio.

Edited by Crazykage
  • Like 2

Some towns appear to be more infested than others of the same size.. 

Please investigate Zelenogorsk, as I always encounter more Zeds there than usual it seems.

• Like 1

Some towns appear to be more infested than others of the same size.. 

Please investigate Zelenogorsk, as I always encounter more Zeds there than usual it seems.

Same here, whenever I'm there I don't really notice that many at first but when i decide to stay for a while I end up encountering 20 atleast if not more.

• Like 1

cool story bro , im too lazy to read now , maybe someday

Yet still posts..

:facepalm:

• Like 2

I am going to travel to black forest today,

note that i yesterday saw five zombies in a bunch at the Lake north of Stary, Prud, just in the forest line

they all aggroed me and were taken down, as three zombies instantly came at me from behind, where the bush lines are

killed them and made my way up north to the airfield, as ammo supplies got kind of low

There ain't a damn thing in the black forest. Should have just asked me.

Although in the mod, it was, and still is I guess, a somewhat popular place to pitch tents.

The boners that make this game may surprise the hell out of me one day by adding items and features

within the forests that you wouldn't experience elsewhere.

There ain't a damn thing in the black forest. Should have just asked me.

But nobody did. But, that's just another point of view. You didn;t see or experience anything out of the ordinary, and that's cool.

What I see is pictures with a few Zombies, some eyewitnesses, and most of all, an awesome new part of DayZ Lore, that took a lot of time and effort to make.

Someone was nice enough to create this for us.

Thank you for that :-)

I can also confirm that Zelenogorsk is particularly rife with infected personnel. Maybe I just spend relatively more time on the south end of town near the military installation, but are the infected in Zelenogorsk predominantly soldiers?

If military forces in chernarus moved in force to contain the outbreak, this might suggest that Zelenogorsk and/or green mountain were the source of the spreading infection. Just a thought.