Window Licker

CCSD, Investigation request.

*request to CCSD for investigation*
On the 11th of Feb on unknown us east hardcore server, an estimated 3 hours after restart at approximately 14:00 hours.

While trekking north along a road through the black forest, around co-ordinates (092, 073) (092,074)

Writer encountered a horde of infected an estimated 6-8 came running from multiple directions in the forest.  Possible basic grouping behavior suspected, the infection in late stage may be allowing infected to identify each other unifying to find food.

Grouping appeared to be random with a variety of subject male, female civilian and military.

Population in nearby towns appeared normal.

• Like 4

On the 11th of Feb on unknown us east hardcore server, an estimated 3 hours after restart at approximately 14:00 hours.

While trekking north along a road through the black forest, around co-ordinates (092, 073) (092,074)

Writer encountered a horde of infected an estimated 6-8 came running from multiple directions in the forest.  Possible basic grouping behavior suspected, the infection in late stage may be allowing infected to identify each other unifying to find food.

Grouping appeared to be random with a variety of subject male, female civilian and military.

I don't believe that to be the case.

Possibility that "horde" had chased survivor out of nearest village and remained in the woods after said survivor had evaded them?

Possibility that "horde" had chased survivor out of nearest village and remained in the woods after said survivor had evaded them?

This was my guess too. 

I had just passed through Shakhovka, I'd been successfully killing infected and taking booty from the untouched town, in Gorka was the same thing, had to clear the infected to get access to the booty.

so unless they ran from Polona....

I will look into this and the coordinates you have provided later today (I have class in a few hours).

-Cpl T. Morse, USMC (CrazyKage, CobraCommander), CO-Lead project CCSD.

• Like 1

As a side note, I HAVE noticed earlier today after the recent update (and before encountering crashing issues) while running along dirt roads deep in the hills and forests, several zombies standing or walking nearby. There were no structures or buildings nearby where zombies typically only spawned around before.

This particular observation was made shortly after the servers came back up, in an otherwise empty server....

^^do you remember where approximately you where?

I was on the road northbound, I heard an infected scream, I though initially "sound bug" but given it was the complete sound followed by more I turned 2-3 came from the woods on the west side of the road I started swinging my axe about, then more started coming I stepped about 5-10 yards into the woods to actively hunt any in the area.  After that another 2-3 came running from the east so the woods on the far side of the road.

for someone to round up that many and have them follow to there would have been an effort for something that would not likely be discovered.

Edited by Window Licker

I've had this happen to me as well. Random wooded area and suddenly around 6 or so zed's were on me. I also guessed they had been chasing someone esle who had managed to evade them. Scary all the same!

Edit: I wasn't near Black Forrest I'm sure of that. Somewhere to the North IIRC

Edited by Marstiphal

Black Forest exactly, I had this happen too! I even posted a thread up a while back, a fair chunk just popped up and came at me and my friends.

Black Forest exactly, I had this happen too! I even posted a thread up a while back, a fair chunk just popped up and came at me and my friends.

Half Life 3 confirmed.

How long ago did this happen, I searched the forums to find if this had been posted turns out horde has been very well used in the past....

edit: post found: 14-Jan

forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/164873-lots-of-zombies/

Edited by Window Licker

^^do you remember where approximately you where?

I was on the road northbound, I heard an infected scream, I though initially "sound bug" but given it was the complete sound followed by more I turned 2-3 came from the woods on the west side of the road I started swinging my axe about, then more started coming I stepped about 5-10 yards into the woods to actively hunt any in the area.  After that another 2-3 came running from the east so the woods on the far side of the road.

for someone to round up that many and have them follow to there would have been an effort for something that would not likely be discovered.

Just went to DazDB map to figure out where it was. I knew that afterwards I ended up in Gorka.

After looking at the map, a chill went down my spine: The area I was in at the time was the black forest....

I'm going to log in look for some ammo and then investigate the Black Forest on behalf of the CCSD. I'll post if I find anything.

• Like 1

Closer inspection of the DayZDB map shows a few objects in the vicinity of black forest that may or may not yield clues:

091-075: Small structure close to a road, but not connected to it.

097-075: Structure on the road at the entrance to black forest

090-073 & 091-073: This road has two buildings, and what appear to be fences or walls as shown on the map.

All of these structures will need to be investigated, in addition to a thorough search of the surrounding woods (in the event that anything new was added in that DayZDB has yet to update).

What we may have here is a possible lead on some sort of locus or focal point for the beginning of the infestation. If the dead in this area are in fact, more advanced in some way, they may have been there longer than other "standard" dead. Perhaps this is the origin point? All assumptions and wild guessing, but only time and investigation will truly tell the tale.

• Like 1

I'm going to log in look for some ammo and then investigate the Black Forest on behalf of the CCSD. I'll post if I find anything.

The more the better. Corroborating evidence from multiple sources will help us get to the truth that much quicker.

But we must also assume the possibility that this phenomenon is NOT exclusive to black forest.

Other likely candidates?

Green mountain

Lesnoy Khrebet (just west of black forest)

Dubina

Rog

Windy Mountain (also the forested area just south of windy mountain, which is the location of a strange statue and ham radio, if I recall correctly)

Klen, and surrounding forest

Black Mountain

Ostry

Coordinates 103-025 (strange wall/fenced in area north west of ostry)

Devils Castle and surrounding forest\

All of these seem likely candidates for this phenomenon, and may be worth checking into to discover if it is exclusive to black forest, or a global event.

• Like 1

What we may have here is a possible lead on some sort of locus or focal point for the beginning of the infestation. If the dead in this area are in fact, more advanced in some way, they may have been there longer than other "standard" dead. Perhaps this is the origin point? All assumptions and wild guessing, but only time and investigation will truly tell the tale.

But this isn't how a Necrosis Filovirus would evolve.

The virus would mutate over time, however the hosts would not.

Rather than the origin site of the original strain, it is far more likely to be a potential site of a newer, more evolved strain.

The container ship crashed not far from that region. Do we know why, when and what it's cargo was?

• Like 1

CCSD Agent Jonah_Hobbes reporting in

My Mission was to investigate reports of a Zombie, (Infected), Horde in the Black Forest at approx coordinates (092, 073) (092,074)

I chose x2 low population Aussie servers, (Musty and Arma), to lessen the chances that

a) The horde had been wiped out by a survivor/survivors

b )The horde had been "trained" to the location by a survivor/survivors

The server times were approx 13:30.

Gorka appeared normal and unlooted when I passed through on the Musty server, although I did not spot any Infected.

I ran to the coordinates and completed several sweeps of the area discharging my sidearm  approx 4 times on each server to clearly announce my position.

The result was:

I did not encounter any Infected. I Repeat I did not encounter any Infected.

My conclusion is that I was unable to replicate the encounter of Window Licker and Faramon

My recommendation is for all CCSD agents who are not involved in other operations to focus on investigating this anomaly.

Edited by Jonah_Hobbes

I can confirm this has happened to my friend and I at those coordinates. Twice!

It seems to happen when you're coming from the south from Shakhovka and head around that steep curve right at the misc_feedshack. Exact coordinates here: http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus#7.092.076

Now, some further info. I did catch it on camera. Yet, I record at full 1080p with Mirillis, and a 50gb file with nothing but a random zombie horde attack in the woods wasn't worthy of staying on the hard drive. I did keep it for a week before deleting while I went and tested that same spot again. Sure enough, there was another attack.

In the first attack, we encountered seven zombies. Four of them were military.
In the second attack, we encountered 5 or 6, and half of them were military as well.

Some history: I used to take that path all the time when I was first learning the mod. Shak to Gorka to Alter to Grishino - It's really a great route to take to NWAF. I figured I would stick to my guns with the Standalone and follow the same path. I don't take it anymore though. Unless I'm armed and healthy. I'm not making this shit up!

TLDR; I can confirm there is an anomaly at the misc_feedshack in the black forest. http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus#7.092.076 - You will be attacked by a horde of zombies if you visit there.

Have fun!

Edited by Esolu

I can confirm this has happened to my friend and I at those coordinates. Twice!

It seems to happen when you're coming from the south from Shakhovka and head around that steep curve right at the misc_feedshack. Exact coordinates here: http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus#7.092.076

Now, some further info. I did catch it on camera. Yet, I record at full 1080p with Mirillis, and a 50gb file with nothing but a random zombie horde attack in the woods wasn't worthy of staying on the hard drive. I did keep it for a week before deleting while I went and tested that same spot again. Sure enough, there was another attack.

In the first attack, we encountered seven zombies. Four of them were military.

In the second attack, we encountered 5 or 6, and half of them were military as well.

Some history: I used to take that path all the time when I was first learning the mod. Shak to Gorka to Alter to Grishino - It's really a great route to take to NWAF. I figured I would stick to my guns with the Standalone and follow the same path. I don't take it anymore though. Unless I'm armed and healthy. I'm not making this shit up!

TLDR; I can confirm there is an anomaly at the misc_feedshack in the black forest. http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus#7.092.076 - You will be attacked by a horde of zombies if you visit there.

Have fun!

Interesting, I encountered it north of the T junction near stated co-ordinates... more scouting throughout Black forest required... stupid being at work...

back from school. will log on and do some exploration of B.F. zombie horde anomaly.