MrGhillieMan

Add a Food/Drink/Blood meter please

I actually cannot stand that their is no Food/Drink/Blood meter, Dean Hall (Rocket) please can you put a bar of those thing's on the bottom right hand side of the screen instead of the things like: You feel thirsty or Your mouth feels dry, it's just too confusing and it would make it alot easier to understand if you need a drink/ something to eat at that time ( just make it like the dayz mod)

• Like 5

Didn't rocket say on one of his streams that that might possibly just be a placeholder and that there's more to come?

Down the road I don't think a UI would be helping considering you will have diseases. You can't simply have an icon for every single disease. That won't work and will overload it.

Wait it out - it will change significantly and maybe you'll like it more then.

Look I understand the need to have an uncluttered AI to feel more real... But in real life i have a good "guage" of how hungry I am, how thirsty I am, how tired I am, If i am sick (is it a fever, a cold, a cough?), and I know what it feels like to lose blood...

That being said in the game there is no way to know these things as well as you have hoped. There needs ways to know these things other than a darkening screen(when its dark out yeah good luck) and some text.  I have passed out now without every bleeding multiple times eating and drinking close to every 10 minutes, no one likes to hunt for gear and just crap out unconsious. I know what would cause that in "real" life, so the game should tell me whats causing it instead of this third person bull.

Loving the game and I will keep playing and giving my opinion :)

_Walrus

• Like 2

Didn't rocket say on one of his streams that that might possibly just be a placeholder and that there's more to come?

Down the road I don't think a UI would be helping considering you will have diseases. You can't simply have an icon for every single disease. That won't work and will overload it.

okay, i guess i'll have to just wait and see if he changes it but i hate the ui right now.

its confirmed, u will get yer meters in one form or another

relax

You say "relax" like i am angry or something, i'm just spreading my opinion so please don't come here telling people to relax when they're not even angry

• Like 3

You say "relax" like i am angry or something, i'm just spreading my opinion so please don't come here telling people to relax when they're not even angry

Sassy retorts = u angry bro

Game is more fun with a food/water bars, etc.

How so? Do you understand "more fun" when it's "easier"? I don't. Many other people don't. Rocket doesn't.

Some sort of basic UI is needed. I actually feel more "disconnected" from my character getting spammed by "you feel thirsty" messages as opposed to seeing a drink meter which roughly shows how thirsty I am. Good thing rocket has identified this as a problem.

• Like 3

A year of Rocket saying he wants to remove them and people say this shit.

I am disappointed.

How so? Do you understand "more fun" when it's "easier"? I don't. Many other people don't. Rocket doesn't.

:facepalm:

From what I understand, the diagnosis of specific diseases is going to be part of the game so reading and interpreting the state of your character is going to be important. To that end it's always going to be more intuitive to have on screen icons and sounds that when read together give you an idea of what kind of medical issue you have.

i.e:

Coughing and feverish? Probably flu.

Vomiting and fever? Food poisoning.

Low body temp, low ambient temperature coupled with loss of coordination and shivering? Hypothermia.

Headache and high ambient temperature? Heat stroke.

I think it's quite easy to create a range of player states from a small number of icons.

I humbly anticipate a diarrhoea icon.

I personally like the lack of a UI...  if the messages were so "spammy".  Seeing "you need a drink" "you feel thirsty" "you mouth feels dry" every 10 seconds gets old and takes away from the great idea of conveying feelings.

I think a message with every stage (white being just starting, yellow for caution, red of oh shit) with a alert tone (so you dont miss it) suffices.

Dunno, if this was posted before, but check it out:

http://dayzdb.com/news/hunger-and-thirst-in-standalone

DayZ standalone introduces much more complicated hunger and thirst mechanics compared to the mod. Instead of your hunger and thirst being satisfied as soon as you eat or drink anything, each type of food and drink restores varying amounts of energy and can add or remove water. Additionally, your stomach can only hold a limited amount of food and water.

Examples

When you eat a box of cereal, it restores around 1000 energy, and drains 250 water. Eating sardines only restores 333 energy, but adds close to 100 water. Drinking a can of soda restores a bit less than 150 energy and adds over 300 water, while drinking from a canteen doesn't give any energy, but adds 1000 water.

Effects

When you have less than 100 energy, you start losing health and blood. However, when you have a ton of energy and plenty of water (3500 and 3000 respectively), you start regenerating blood. Once your blood is refilled, you regenerate health instead.

Dehydration is much more dangerous than starvation: you lose five times as much health and twice as much blood. Once you accumulate a water deficit, it can be difficult to recover from it if you wait too long.

Status Messages

While they don't tell you exactly what's going on with your character, the status messages that pop up can still help you figure out what you need to get yourself healthy again. Keep in mind that there are other effects that share some of the same messages, so this is by no means a conclusive way of diagnosing yourself.

Hunger

When you're hungry, you see the following messages:
"I feel tired", "I feel run-down", "I feel worn-out", "I feel like taking a nap", "My stomach grumbles", "I'm feeling hungry", "I want to eat something", "I feel hungry"

When you're very hungry or starving, you see these messages:
"I'm extremely hungry", "My stomach grumbled violently", "I'm starving","I feel exhausted", "I feel extremely tired", "My head pounds", "My head throbs", "My head hurts", "I feel dizzy", "I feel light-headed", "I feel faint", "I feel unsteady", "My stomach grumbles", "I'm feeling hungry", "I want to eat something", "I feel hungry"

Thirst

When you're thirsty, you see these messages:
"I feel tired", "I feel run-down", "I feel worn-out", "I feel like taking a nap", "My mouth feels dry", "I feel thirsty", "I'm thirsty", "I need a drink", "I feel like having a drink", "I want to drink something"

When you're dehydrated, you see these messages:
"My mouth feels dry", "My head pounds", "My head throbs", "My head hurts", "I feel dizzy", "I feel light-headed", "I feel faint", "I feel unsteady", "I feel exhausted", "I feel extremely tired", "I feel thirsty", "I'm thirsty", "I need a drink", "I feel like having a drink", "I want to drink something"

Being Stuffed

You can also eat and drink too much and overfill your stomach. Once you see these messages, if you keep eating or drinking, you're probably going to end up vomiting.

• My stomach feels absolutely stuffed
  • I feel over-fed
  • My stomach feels much more full then it's normal
  • I am close to vomiting
  • I think I'm going to vomit...
  • I'm going to vomit...
Edited by Grabarz

The status text messages (I feel....) ruin the immersion and are not intuitive.

This is what happened to me today. I spent an hour trying to find loot along the coast, chasing one rotten fruit after the next. Then I moved inland and due to amazing luck I walked in on a crime scene a few times. 3 dead players in a town, all packed with great loot. So I kept moving north. However the game kept displaying messages that were often vague, non descriptive, did not indicate what they are supposed to mean or simply did not make sense at all:

"I feel extremly hungry"

5 minutes after eating a complete can of tuna, and drinking a soda.

"I want to drink something"

10 minutes after the first tuna. So I go to a small lake and gulp that water like a camel at a watering hole in the desert. Then I casuall jog (not double tap W sprint) for another 8 minutes and the thirst starts again.

While this was quite annoying already, Another thing started happening. I suspect a rotten fruit I ate 2 hours earlier started to cause problems:

"feels funny in mouth"

"feel nauseous"

And my screen starts gradually losing color and overbrightening. So I assumed that was food poisoning. As fate would have it I found a player corpse that had 2 pills of antibiotics. I take them and it says:

"My wounds feel cleaner"

Note that I did not have a single phyiscal wound at this point, only a rotten fruit.

However the color fading keeps on and eventually half an hour after the antibiotics I go unconscious.

What does this story tell us?

These test messages are:

-Vague

Nondescriptive, they do not point to the cause of the issue, making the player guess.

-No indication of how well a need is satiated

How much tuna do I have to eat to not feel hungry? When is hunger causing to start damage? Does it cause damage at all? Where can I see how damaged my character is?

rocket mentioned ss13 was an inspiration for these messages but it is not a good idea for dayz. SS13 has to use these descriptions to convey things to the player because that game is crude 2d pixels. Dayz does not haev to be this vague and "text based" in a game where every tiny item is a 3d object. Also constantly having my character talk to himself actually is bad for imagination.

About the screen shader fx. Desaturating colors is a bad idea. Especially since Dayz has such nice HDR lighting (which you only see in the options and when you respawn, because you will spend most of your time surviving on rotten fruit and inevitably end up with a washed out screen that ruins visual fidelity.)

Unadjusted PURE glorious HDR should prevail above screen color fading

I know tghe game tries to convey damaging effects by washing out the screen so it appears "subtle" but it comes at the cost of ruining visual fidelity.

About food poisoning.

Why is eating a rotten fruit such a death sentence? I only ate 1 and died 3 hours later from it, even after taking 2 pills of antibiotics? So the next time I eat a rotten fruit because the loot god is angry with me I can throw that specific player life away because what are the chances of finding another set of pills? Why even bother looting for hours, only to die as a well equipped corpse.

All of this can be avoided by having indicators and bars in the corner of the screen like dayz or other simiar games have them. it would have several advantages:

-Easy to see how dangerous a need is currently

-Easy to see how much you need to eat and how much you should keep for later

-Less guesswork and more intuition

And for anyone countering my suggestion with "in real life you do not haev indicators":

Yes you do have them in real life. If you get sick from food poisoing you will instantly know it in your stomach and intestines. You dont have to decipher some cryptic text message and you dont have to ask why the colors are fading on the screen.

• Like 3

This has been a hot topic within the testers group. I know it is being looked into :-) hopefully we get some feedback on what Dean has up his sleeve to make it better :-)

Thanks

I really hope you guys dont go all fundamentalist hardcore text adventure and hold on to "text in your face all the time to improve immersion" because it is doing exactly the opposite.

I mean if players like to have that make it optional. I just want an unobtrusive bar in the corner (actually the sims 3 is a good example of how needs can be fun and not be in your face all the time).

I bet this will be changed very soon. 

I don't think it ruins the immersion for me, my problem is that they are quite easy to miss. Especially since they appear in the area that the mod used for side chat---which I have developed a habit of ignoring (due to the idiocy that is found there). 

I totally agree, specifically with the point that people don't have indicators in real life. On the contrary, I am acutely aware of when I am hungry and thirsty, especially when it gets to a point where I would be experiencing negative effects such as going unconscious. I believe an icon based system is much more realistic in terms of gauging hunger and thirst.

This has been a hot topic within the testers group. I know it is being looked into :-) hopefully we get some feedback on what Dean has up his sleeve to make it better :-)

Thanks

Np, r4zor and i really hope they change it and put the food/drink/blood meter back into the game.

I agree, the Food/Drink system is totaly fucked up and crap.

Hopefully in the future they fix the lag of info and the the broken system.

Okay, well most of us agree that we should have the bars back in instead of the chat spamming you saying that you are thirsty every 10 seconds so i really thin someone should get Dean Hall to take a look at this topic because of right now, this is actually very important.

Edited by MrGhillieMan