obiwanjacobey

TEXT SYSTEM V.S. ICON SYSTEM

Ok, so everyone is complaining about the text system indicating your characters thirst and hunger, and we all want the icon system back, including me....but you know what as of right now the problem IS NOT THE TEXT SYSTEM, its the whole eating/drinking system in itself, youd think in two years of work Rocket would have worked on this more than an animation for a compass (which by the way blows just give us our compass back on our screen) YES, I understand its very very early alpha, but I mean youd think he would have worked on this food and drink thing, having to eat/drink CONSTANTLY of fear of passing out after you just ran all the way to NEAF or NWAF or devils, you get the idea, I mean i eat like a whole box of ceareal and 2 sodas or more and start running, and im already about to go unconcious 3 minutes later!!!!!! This needs a hotfix quickly (:

Just my two cents, -Obi

• Like 7

I'm sure it's an unintentional bug in the build and it's a pretty game breaking thing so we can probably expect a hotfix within a few hours or a day tops.

• Like 1

I'm sure it's an unintentional bug in the build and it's a pretty game breaking thing so we can probably expect a hotfix within a few hours or a day tops.

I sure hope so, mannnnn EVERY time i get to NWAF i get some gear, and then BOOM unconcious!!!!!! Its starting to irritate me ): but I know itll be fixed. Just wanted to get on here and get my words out, see what other people are experiencing and had to say. What about the compass? I know you gotta agree with me on that.....someone does at least. LOL.

To tell you the truth, I haven't played yet (probably won't until I get payed), but I feel as if the icon system just feels a lot more cleaner than a bunch of text popping up on the bottom left of my screen. Not sure though, I'd have to actually play and see how it goes.

To tell you the truth, I haven't played yet (probably won't until I get payed), but I feel as if the icon system just feels a lot more cleaner than a bunch of text popping up on the bottom left of my screen. Not sure though, I'd have to actually play and see how it goes.

Yea the icon system is most deffinately preferred, but at the moment its just not even that, its after i eat and drink, im being prompted to eat and drink 2 minutes later! or ill go unconcious and have to respawn after i just ran 30 minutes to get gear!

1 year. It's been 1 year of development. While I agree that the system seems bugged/unbalanced, you need to remember this is a fucking alpha build and you should find a better way to express yourself about it.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

1 year. It's been 1 year of development. While I agree that the system seems bugged/unbalanced, you need to remember this is a fucking alpha build and you should find a better way to express yourself about it.

Yea, whatever.

Do not buy the game yet!

The release of our Alpha is about getting those who want to be involved from the ground up, up and into the process. What we do encourage you to do, is to read reviews, watch livestreams and lets play videos, and talk to your friends. The alpha is going out into large scale testing for the first time, this means many things (mostly bad) will happen such as nasty bugs, connection issues, lost loot, etc... Our aim right now is to present the bare-bone architecture and check that works, getting some feedback on the direction in the process.

The above quote is from Dean. You didn't follow the advice.

• Like 3

You sir, are a moron.

Edited by Max Planck
No personal insults, please.
  • Like 1

The above quote is from Dean. You didn't follow the advice.

Everyone playing the game needs to report issues, that's what an alpha is for. Stop acting like reporting problems is against some sort of policy.

• Like 1

I have to also admit that I prefer the icon system much more.

I know they wanted to do this whole visual and sound cue thing to make it more immersive but I don't think it actually works.

• Like 1

Ok, so everyone is complaining about the text system indicating your characters thirst and hunger, and we all want the icon system back, including me....but you know what as of right now the problem IS NOT THE TEXT SYSTEM, its the whole eating/drinking system in itself, youd think in two years of work Rocket would have worked on this more than an animation for a compass (which by the way blows just give us our compass back on our screen) YES, I understand its very very early alpha, but I mean youd think he would have worked on this food and drink thing, having to eat/drink CONSTANTLY of fear of passing out after you just ran all the way to NEAF or NWAF or devils, you get the idea, I mean i eat like a whole box of ceareal and 2 sodas or more and start running, and im already about to go unconcious 3 minutes later!!!!!! This needs a hotfix quickly (:

1 year. It's been 1 year of development.

Yea, whatever.

You sir, are a moron.

1 YEAR. 

How hard is that to soak up.

For f*cks sake.

The guys pointing out an issue that needs to be addressed as well as suggesting to change a feature that almost everyone hates. 

There's no need to attack the guy.

Rocket does not need a f*cking army defending him every time someone states an issue. 

• Like 10

I don't have a problem with the text alerts, but at the moment it seems to be bugged.  I'll get messages that say I need a drink, then I'll take a drink and it'll tell me my thirst is quenched and 2 seconds later it'll tell me I'm thirsty again.

Lol, we got some fan boys on base here (: Im simply stating somthing here, clearly most of you guys didnt read the post well enough to comprehend what im saying (:

Just my two cents, -Obi

The U.S. Army survival manual does not recommend that you drink water only when thirsty, as this leads to under hydrating. Instead, water should be drunk at regular intervals.

IMO, eating/drink system is fine. And compass is realistic, so form me, its fine too.

Edited by OldStalker
  • Like 2

Icon system is much cleaner.  Text prompts are pretty intrusive, even if they happened less often, the icons just seem to be much better at displaying incremental changes with the shading, or the icons getting less filled, etc...

• Like 2

It's hard to get a good grip of when the character is -really- hungry and -really- thirsty, in case you're in need of being conservative with your resources. Otherwise I'm not having the same issue as above players are havin', if Santa would bring me a can opener for Christmas I'd be more than set.

IMO It seems like a miss step and one I can't fathom why they made it.

I thought that one of the intentions of SA was to make the game more immersive and intuitive; To make the character embody the player much more. It makes no sense from that perspective to opt for text describing how the character feels over an intuitive HUD. Especially when the text is nebulously worded, What's worse, Pounding or throbbing? Feeling hungry or wanting to eat something? It does much more to draw you out of the experience than the icon system did.

Also, and take this with a pinch of salt because I'm sure it's an alpha/balance issue. I find myself gulping down drinks continuously because it's constantly nagging me to do so. There's no way of gauging accurately how pressing the issue is, nothing to show if drinking, eating or resting is making a difference to the state of my health and more warning messages mere minutes later. None of these problems were associated with a HUD based system.

Finally something has to be said to those people who think that because the game is alpha all criticism is unwarranted. There is nothing wrong with healthy criticism about a game in development, especially when many believe that certain design decisions are making the game worse, not better. I don't expect this to be a finished product, I do expect they'll do a great job of the SA when it's done but I also expect that Rocket and the team will appreciate well thought out criticism.

Edited by Bribase
  • Like 1

TBH, I hate the text system, As the system is broken (thirsty every 2 minutes after a drink)

Too early to call. I just hope the balance is right as I don't want to see text every few minutes.

IMO, eating/drink system is fine. And compass is realistic, so form me, its fine too.

No, it really is bugged. I know becuase last night I was eating rice, and got:

-You have satisfied your hunger (or something to that effect in green text)

-I feel hungry

.... Both at the exact same time .

I don't mind the text system itself I quite like it actually.

There are several problems though, firstly we don't understand how it works properly yet.

Secondly it's too fast, calories / water are burned too quickly.

Thirdly the penalty is too harsh.

It takes over a week to die of starvation in RL!