Another title for this feature is "Rocket gonna kill us for that. We are insane."
Inspired by Rocket’s idea of players influence the design of the interiors by their actions,
e.g. if player in killed in a clean house - it gets bloody, leaves gore and decays visually.
“In an apocalyptic scenario the first thing to vanish
would be street and environment cleaning infrastructure.”
From “The DayZ Phenomenon”.
by Dr. Wasteland MD.
- If you use some resource in the world it is “authentically”™ leaves marks\trails in the world.
- Others discover it and can guess what had happened.
- Players can hide marks\trails or leave it be.
- PLEASE! I BEG YOU! READ THIS AND DON'T EVEN MENTION THIS IN DISCUSSION! - This all is NOT about leaving actual footsteps on the ground or bullet holes!
- (optional) Junk, garbage items are never randomly generated in the world. They always appear after players leave them.
- There are several advanced medical and injury features presupposed
- as well as expanding a clothes system idea in this context
- In the course of writing I had some interesting animals usage ideas which can contribute to this feature.
- Your DayZ. Your story. Your world. Your environment. Leave or remove your mark in it.
- Everyone is responsible for making this world messy and dirty, or clean and comfortable.
- No one is forced to clean it. You choose it yourself if you want to clean your house or make your camp territory more better looking.
- Cleaned or well attended territory attracts people psychologically for comfortable environment effect. It gives a feeling of a safe zone, which people take care of. This is sign that people strive for fixing this apocalyptic horror in some way and don’t live like pigs in the dirt pool.
- On the other hand, leave all the gore, garbage, skeletons and other repulsing object to make everyone know the territory is dangerous, keep off.
- You can realistically understand whether the territory you enter is abandoned, heavily populated\lived in or area is a slaughter yard with campers.
- Dirty rotting areas can be source of disease.
- KOS\PvP\Dangerous areas will be naturally marked with blood, gore, and signs of death and danger. You will gone see and feel you’re entering a bad place from distance. Natural instincts will help.
- If you don’t cover your trails and garbage others can track you down and learn about your presence in the area.
- You can leave trails or marks intentionally and wisely to divert your enemies from your tracks or set up a trap\ambush.
- Only one action “clean” or “hide trails\marks” depending on the context.
- Many universal decals and textures, several textures for different states etc.
- Some way for server\database accounting of state changes over time.
Will bring more objects to the engine and the world and impact the performance.
Most of the features are visual and don't reauire fully functional objects and their storing in the world.
Basically, everything stays the same, except for after you delete a dropped item from the world after certain amount of time as DayZ usually does, you leave some mark, some decals or pile to show it was here.
Needs some less realistic and more optimized universal design technology (a common non-object decal garbage pile, instead of a separate usable can and bottle object with full geometry etc.).
1) “Clean after yourself” - Junk, garbage, wastes, throw-offs and used\disposed items are created by player activity and discovered in the world by others.
2) Plants\soil\interiors\exteriors\roads decay\improve as a result of human activity\inactivity.
Having all these implemented I actually don’t need to explain what gameplay awaits us. But I must say, that players who don’t want this level of realism or fear that game gets too complicated - those can ignore these features ingame and there is no need for them to go deep and use them.
Aesthetic and storytelling aspects, as well as atmosphere of the game will start playing with every possible colour and subtle variations, which are NEVER purely cosmetic and purposely designed, they are always a trail, a sign, “footprint” of a player in DayZ. And more to the point, more players produce more environmental shifts to the world. And only they choose will it be shifting to bloody fearsome wasteland or walk the hardest way and make it a better and comfortable world to live even in the apocalypse. Apart from that any action has a reaction, and any trail will sooner or later lead to it’s owner. Knowing this and thinking "authentically" ™ can help hostiles finding their targets or targets escaping their enemies.
So, survivor, be attentive and remember, in the standalone you “don’t step in the poo”,
AND you’d better remove and don’t leave your “poo” so that it won’t hit the fan which faces you.
Edited by -=PA=-Mikhail, 21 December 2012 - 09:50 AM.