Pallidum

Server Hosting quick FAQ

Important note: Most server requests will not qualify for running a DayZ server. If you do not have a beefy server on a dedicated connection, it will not be sufficient. This is to ensure a good game experience for everyone, and to prevent server hosters from acquiring huge overage fees and/or disconnection from their ISPs.

What are the hardware requirements for a DayZ server?

Dedicated server hardware is now required to host a DayZ server. A home PC is not allowed. If you do not know if your hardware is a dedicated server, you don't have one.

* CPU: Quad Core @ 3Ghz+ (CPU is the main bottleneck for an ArmA server, so the more powerful the better)

* RAM: 8GB (RAM isn't a big issue in an ArmA server, so don't be overly concerned with having copious amounts)

* Storage: 50GB+ HDD - 500 IOPS minimum. SSD or 15k RPM SAS is recommended.

* Network: 100Mbps+ dedicated. Bandwidth cap must be at least 2TB or more.

Can I host my server at home?

No. A home internet connection is not intended to run servers. There are several problems with this:

* Most home internet connections have far less upload bandwidth than download bandwidth. You may have 24Mbit download bandwidth, but only 6Mbit upload bandwidth. A DayZ server requires a lot of upload bandwidth, and for peaks (server restarts when lots of people try to log in) requires a lot more.

* Many ISPs won't allow home internet connections to run servers. You may get disconnected by your ISP for this.

* Many ISPs won't allow you to accumulate that much bandwidth. A DayZ server will consume multiple terabytes per month. If you do not have unlimited bandwidth, this could cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars. Or, it'll consume your bandwidth quota in a day or two.

* Many home internet connection use dynamic IPs. A static IP is highly recommended

* Many home internet connections are less stable and reliable than dedicated connections.

As such, you cannot host your DayZ server on a home internet connection.

Can I host a Linux server?

At the moment, we only support Windows servers, so no. It is possible that Linux servers will be supported in the future, but no promises, and we don't know when.

Can I host on a VPS?

Many ISPs sell Virtual Private Servers (VPS) with the assumption that any given server will be idle for the majority of the time, thus allowing them to host several VPSes on the same physical hardware.

A DayZ server will consume a lot of processing power on a regular basis, which makes it difficult to host DayZ servers on a VPS.

Most VPSes will also not give you a commitment on processing power, but instead provided it on an as-available basis. If the physical hardware is running a lot of processes, your VPS may not get the required CPU power to run a DayZ server.

So, in almost all cases, no. You cannot run a DayZ server on a VPS.

How many slots should I run?

We've found that 50 slots per server strikes a good balance between resource requirements and number of players.

The minimum slot count for new servers is 40. We highly recommend running a 50 slot server, however.

The one exception for this is for developing countries or countries where bandwidth is very expensive.

For those countries minimum slot count is now 30.

Can I buy/rent a server from the DayZ team?

The DayZ developers do not rent out servers. If you don't host your own server hardware, you'll have to rent a server from a third party. We can't unfortunately help you with finding a third party to rent from.

Before renting a server, make sure it's supporting the requirements for a DayZ server, so you don't pay for a server that you cannot use.

If I have a server, can I spawn things like cars and guns?

Surprisingly many people ask about this. No. That'd be cheating.

Can I host a server for my clan?

Yes, you can. We encourage clans to set up a server to act as their home.

What you cannot do, however, is to restrict the server to your clan only. The gameplay of DayZ involves conflict between survivors as well as zombies, and restricting a server to a single clan would take away this aspect of the gameplay. It would also allow the clan to farm gear without risking interference from other players, which would give them an unfair advantage.

If I have a server, can I kick people to make room for clan members?

No, you cannot. Kicking people for clan members can, and have been abused. It was allowed in the past and was heavily abused by a small minority of server admins. As a result, server admins are no longer allowed to kick people for clan members.

Will hosting a DayZ server give me any special privileges?

No, not really. I'm sorry, but hosting a DayZ server only means that you host a DayZ server.

What it can do is give your clan a place to call home, and it will give you an opportunity to participate in and contribute to DayZ. It will also give you a feeling of having done something good. And, on occasion, a lot of frustration.

Most server administrators are quite happy to be part of something a lot bigger, and they are very appreciated for their contributions.

• Like 3

The only true 'privileges' are the Server Host group on the forum. I heard there is a special forum just for them but I wouldn't know. I saw someone link it before.

How do we get an invite to the google group, Ander? I've tried PMing you and chatting in IRC to no avail.

You may want to consider changing the colors of that yellow text. It's impossible to read on the white theme :P

Done.

where is a forum for server admins? I have two server and dont see a Server Admin Forum.... :(

I've contacted my dedicated server provider regarding the new specs of running a DayZ server, as based from OP.

They would like to know what the min spec's for running a Day Z server is.

Or is what is posted in the OP above the min spec's.

On another note. I know my dedicated server can run 3 x battle field 3 server with 64 slot on each and run fine.

Yet according to the spec above it can't run 1 DayZ server.

For some one that builds computers and our clan has run servers for 10+ years. I find this to be a joke.

If you are wanting to alienate the general public from the DayZ mod you are on the right track.

Many have took a intrest in your DayZ mod because its so dam good and every thing that goes with it.

Many have spent cash to buy the game Arma2+ addons, Even rented servers. Just to play this mod alone,

Then you basicly slapped everyone who is intrested in helping and running a DayZ server in there faces.

This is mine and our clans opinion, up to the rest of you if you agree or not.

• Like 1

I've contacted my dedicated server provider regarding the new specs of running a DayZ server' date=' as based from OP.

They would like to know what the min spec's for running a Day Z server is.

Or is what is posted in the OP above the min spec's.

On another note. I know my dedicated server can run 3 x battle field 3 server with 64 slot on each and run fine.

Yet according to the spec above it can't run 1 DayZ server.

For some one that builds computers and our clan has run servers for 10+ years. I find this to be a joke.

If you are wanting to alienate the general public from the DayZ mod you are on the right track.

Many have took a intrest in your DayZ mod because its so dam good and every thing that goes with it.

Many have spent cash to buy the game Arma2+ addons, Even rented servers. Just to play this mod alone,

Then you basicly slapped everyone who is intrested in helping and running a DayZ server in there faces.

This is mine and our clans opinion, up to the rest of you if you agree or not.

[/quote']

What are you lacking on? If it's CPU, I guarantee you, you need a beefy one. It's not DayZ requiring this, its ARMA2.

Please, don't be so entitled.

Greetings blackfuse.

In short, my server provider, all ready rent out Arma 2 servers and

some with the DayZ mod added as well as other server. we also rent our BF3 server from them.

I asked them for a dedicated server that would run 1 Arma 2 DayZ 50 slot server, and 1 Arma 2 rubber 30 slot server and TS.

They offered me a system that could run that. I rented the next system up from that system.

They seem to be shocked I think of the spec's posted, and asked

for the min spec required. After I asked them how much for a upgrade to run a DayZ server.

As you said "It's not DayZ requiring this, its ARMA2." :)

Greetings blackfuse.

In short' date=' my server provider, all ready rent out Arma 2 servers and

some with the DayZ mod added as well as other server. we also rent our BF3 server from them.

I asked them for a dedicated server that would run 1 Arma 2 DayZ 50 slot server, and 1 Arma 2 rubber 30 slot server and TS.

They offered me a system that could run that. I rented the next system up from that system.

They seem to be shocked I think of the spec's posted, and asked

for the min spec required. After I asked them how much for a upgrade to run a DayZ.

As you said "It's not DayZ requiring this, its ARMA2." :)

[/quote']

You can probably give it a shot, CPU is, as the op says, the main enforcer and is really what you need to make sure is met. I'm not sure what specs they were balking at, but the CPU really does need to be quite fast if you want to run a smooth server.

CPU is' date=' as the op says, the main enforcer and is really what you need to make sure is met.

[/quote']

I do agree there as it hits my i7 just playing the game :)

A few Changes need to added.

Player info:

Minimum slot count for servers will be increased to 40.

With exception for developing countries or countries where bandwidth is expensive.

For those countries minimum slot count is now 30.

New servername convention!:

DayZ - Location ID (version/beta buildnr) [difficulty][timezone] dayzmod.com - hosted by Customtext

With alternative long format (includes the city):

DayZ - Location ID OptionalCity (version/beta buildnr) [difficulty][timezone] dayzmod.com - hosted by Customtext

The Location SHOULD be the countrycode (international format) . US, DE, UK, SE and so forth.

Version should be the current dayz version running. Beta is which build/version of ARMA2 you are running. Other special versions may be added after this (try to write in similar style to other servers).

If you currently have a cityname in your server you can keep using it for a while, but we'll ask you to get a new countrycode ID and then name your server with the second format if you want to keep using citynames.

As for difficulty, you should enter REGULAR, VETERAN, EXPERT or similar.

If you got a custom setting you want to mention that differs from standard ,then use the following:

3DP:ON

3DP:OFF

CH:ON

CH:OFF

RP

Timezone should be valid international timezone.

Customtext can be either your name or the url of your page.

Ports.

DayZ server requires the following ports open to UDP network traffic. TCP is not needed.

port 2302 UDP ArmA2 game network communication.

port+1 2303 UDP Gamespy public server reporting.

port+3 2305 UDP Voice Over Net transmission.

What about servers with passwords?

First it was the "filming servers", who had the excuse that they have to lock their servers so they can make DayZ videos about it. Like you can´t just turn on fraps or other program and do the same thing.

Now it´s possible to see at any given time a lot more than 10 DayZ servers running with password. If that´s forbiden, how come so many of them are doing it?

Well, my server is up and running @ HFB, but I can't find any way to set the preferred options like 3DP or CH. Google archive turned up a link to a thread here discussion the .cfg file, but it appears to be deleted.

Where do server admins get their configuration info?

If I have a server, can I kick people to make room for clan members?

No, you cannot. Kicking people for clan members can, and have been abused. It was allowed in the past and was heavily abused by a small minority of server admins. As a result, server admins are no longer allowed to kick people for clan members.

erm.... so what's the point in getting one ?

why would i purchase a server that i could never get on if it's full ?

or have i misunderstood something ?

If I have a server' date=' can I kick people to make room for clan members?

No, you cannot. Kicking people for clan members can, and have been abused. It was allowed in the past and was heavily abused by a small minority of server admins. As a result, server admins are no longer allowed to kick people for clan members.[/quote']

erm.... so what's the point in getting one ?

why would i purchase a server that i could never get on if it's full ?

or have i misunderstood something ?

Server admins log in with a M107, ghillie suit, and M1911. But its something we don't talk about much.

Hi there,

I have purchased a server that meets the requirement base on OP's stated requirements, how long does it take usually before any of the server admins could reply and provide the necessary instructions/information to get started?

Where I'm coming from, my country don't even got a single host on this yet and we got a growing community who's loving DayZ so I'm hoping to get the server up and running soon.

Can anyone advise?

I to have 2 servers ready to go due to popular demand from our community from the clan and the Aussie population. Not many Aussie servers that are up to date with the days patches and the ones that are around are always full. To fix this my clan have two servers ready to go. Just need to know how to go with contacting dayz dev

I to have 2 servers ready to go due to popular demand from our community from the clan and the Aussie population. Not many Aussie servers that are up to date with the days patches and the ones that are around are always full. To fix this my clan have two servers ready to go. Just need to know how to go with contacting dayz dev

Same trouble. I have server ready to host Dayz. But my messages to dayzteam through mail and form on site were unanswered. Can anybody know how i can contact to dev-team about this question?

If I understand correctly, the correct way to contact them right now is through the Contact the team link - Be sure to send it to "Server Hosting Inquiry". I haven't gotten a response through that page myself yet tho. Probably hundreds of inquiries coming in every day.

My server was put up within a day and worked great until the HIVE got DDOS attacked. :(