Max Planck

Reddit - Aug 2012 - Q&A with Rocket

Thanks, I like the part about 7/10 scariness! More scary!

• Like 4

Thanks champ, have some beans! :thumbsup:

OT: I was super excited to have confirmation from Rocket he won't be adding npc's in the future.

That and ragdoll effects ofcourse!

Edited by GenerationVII

I'm glad you like it, now it is time for me to sleep.

No rude drawings or cussing while I'm gone, okay? Okay.

• Like 1

Frankly guys - I've read half of it (very late here) and my jaws on the floor. The plans for the standalone sound excellent and what's more - they all seems so achievable. I've really got faith in the dev team that they will pull the majority of this off.

From the start, the DayZ's dev team have hit the right marks time and time again with their decisons, imho, but to see the breadth of vision laid out here is something beyond my wildest expectations.

I can see that they have a full picture of the current build's limitations - from hacking to inventory - and are moving away from that with the standalone. Hopefully those that shout the loudest about DayZ's flaws will see this and gain some patience.

Just a couple of thoughts -

No to NPCs. Let's keep this real.

Yes to more character persistance -"you build a base and the better it is the better options you have, such as storage and respawn etc...."

Starting out in DayZ is the best bit at the moment, but that will change when more endgame gets added. It may eventually put people off if they have to keep starting from scratch. BUT - the current death penalty is what sets DayZ apart from the crowd. Don't tamper too much.

Finally, I save my most scornful laughs for those who buy 'collectors editions' of games. But for the first time I'm going to do just that, should there be a special standalone version.

Best of luck to you - The very best of luck.

• Like 3

Q: Will dayz standalone support the oculus rift peripheral?

A: someone gave me a heads up about it, love it, I hope we could support that.

Would be awesome.

• Like 2

I want more ghost stories and other creepy shit.

Rocket: Read the Urban Legends thread and add some of that, if it's not already in. ;)

I've never played a game with so many kick ass creepy things going on.. I mean seriously, is G(host) Mountain really haunted? D:

First of all thanks to Max for the info..

Second: OMFG!!! If they throw a "collector's edition" i'm gonna get it!

What about flashlights? While running we can't see in front of us, will flashlights be more important in the standalone? And what about thermal and nightvision? I've seen quite a few people saying they should be removed

I want a fix for the god damn server hive crap. Shady admins, random restarts make you lose your vehicle, servers randomly shut down forever losing all your vehicles and tents, server hopping.

Just as a general question, would anybody happen to know if there are going to be any major changes graphically for the standalone? Like, is it going to look like Arma 3, or will it be more along the lines of what the game looks like at the moment?

- If this was actually addressed in the post and I've misunderstood it, feel free to berate me for being a moron. That said, if anyone can offer any insight I would appreciate it :)

Holy crap, maybe I should have scrolled down the page to see how long that was before I blew 25 minutes reading a Q&A session.

You have to give it to rocket though. How many devs do you see come out and answer questions about their games? Let alone hour long Q&A sessions, and 2 hour long skype calls. Credit to you mate.

Edited by AussieStig

Good job, thanks for taking the time to compile the Q&A list!

I'm always very interested to read what rocket has to say and where the project is going.

Just as a general question, would anybody happen to know if there are going to be any major changes graphically for the standalone? Like, is it going to look like Arma 3, or will it be more along the lines of what the game looks like at the moment?

Rocket didn't say that yet so nobody really knows ;)

I think this guy is going to change the industry, or at least create a new temporary autonomous zone where real artists can flourish. I'm excited about the stand alone, but I can't wait to see what he's doing in 10 years.

Defintely need more scares - it is a zombie world after all.

I would love it if you could also explore some underground military structures - under Green Mountain for example. Surely the virus started in that evil place!

Cant wait!

• Like 1

Maxy, if you want to further improve your thread you should cut it out in sections such as personal/meta/DayZ future/planned ahead.

Also, have some beans

Beans given. Been waiting for an informative post like this for beards.

Rocket really does love his dogs, think it must be a Reddit "thing"