Sign in to follow this  
stefan_s

DayZ standalone... Wait for it, or buy now?

So, I recently ordered a new Gaming PC, and it should be arriving in two weeks time.

However, recently it was announced that DayZ would be a standalone game.

Now, I realize that we might have to buy DayZ AGAIN to continue playing, as it is separating itself from Arma II.

So, what do you guys think? Also with the hacker issue I hear is making some servers unplayable.

Should I buy Arma 2 (I am also interested in Arma II, but id rather wait for Arma III for the sake of saving money) and play DayZ?

Or wait for it to release by itself, whenever that may be?

Up to you. None of us know yet when Day Z will be standalone, I'd say wait until we get an estimated release date and then make your decision on that.

You can't develop a good game in under a year, look at CoD, DayZ standalone will take 1.5 years minimum and 3 years max. For now enjoy the mod, this is however assuming they don't do a minecraftesque release where you can buy your way into the alpha/beta, which I hope they intend on doing.

You COULD buy ArmA II right now and play DayZ in its current state OR...

You could meet me in a shady part of town and i'll hook you up with a pre-order standalone DayZ. Hopefully you're comfortable with buying things out of my trunk.

The urine smell will go away after a few hours.

• Like 7

The DayZ standalone will probably come out before Christmas. Not in 1/1½ years.

• Like 2

You COULD buy ArmA II right now and play DayZ in its current state OR...

You could meet me in a shady part of town and i'll hook you up with a pre-order standalone DayZ. Hopefully you're comfortable with buying things out of my trunk.

The urine smell will go away after a few hours.

Sounds tempting.... I'll have to pass :)

Anyways, I did read somewhere they are adopting the Minecraft release model.

I think they bought the Arma II engine, so it shouldn't take that long.

Also, I think rocket stated before christmas... I'll decide eventually I guess

The DayZ standalone will probably come out before Christmas. Not in 1/1½ years.

complete speculation only thing thats been stated is they are trying to get the beta up and running before christmas

Edited by Acix

complete speculation only thing thats been stated is they are trying to get the beta up and running before christmas

Well to be honest they also said it would come out as an unfinished product like Minecraft, we might even be playing the alpha of the standalone game just like we've been playing the alpha of the mod.

Knowing this, and the fact that Rocket already tested DayZ on the Arma 3 engine not so long ago and already ported it successfully... before Christmas? I say we'll be playing the standalone game even sooner than that.

Honestly people buy games that cost $60 and play for a couple weeks.

$30 for at LEAST 2 months is more than fair imo.

• Like 1

Rocket did state that it should be in standalone by the end of the year.

I'd literally take a bet that it isn't out before mid 2013, around august.

About a year.

A new game before Sept? They may be able to modify the engine and port it over to ARMA 3's engine but I highly doubt a finished DayZ will be out before the end of the year. Not with supporting the Mod also, something has to give.

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25

Here's how it works:

If you've just spent a good chunk of money on a decent gaming rig, there's probably alot of games you want to test out on it. If one of them is DayZ and you've got an extra 20-30 bucks to burn, you buy ArmA2: Combined Operations and install the free mod, knowing you paid $20-30 to play a buggy and hack infested alpha mod. Having said that I don't play on US servers, have never seen a hacker.

Whether you buy ArmA2 or not.

In a couple of months, fall or early winter, the first working build of the DayZ standalone will be released. This will also be buggy and this will require you to buy an alpha game-key to play it. The standalone will come with a major discount, it wont be free, but if you buy in early, you'll probably only have to let go of 9-12 bucks.

Each time the DayZ alpha standalone received a major update, the price will increase and when the DayZ standalone reaches it's final build, the price point will probably be close to 20-30 dollars. However if you bought in early, you'll be able to use your 10 dollar key for the complete 30 dollar game. I know it sounds too good to be true, like a Nigerian game developer, but this is what's known as the Minecraft payment method.

So here's the deal.

DayZ standalone will be released in 2-3 months, but it wont be completed this year, maybe not before next summer. But the price will reflect the level of completion. Cheap in October-November, full price near June-July.

While you're waiting for the DayZ standalone getting completed some time next year, you'll either be able to play the early builds of the standalone, if you buy a key or cantinue to play the free mod for which you bought ArmA2: CO.

Disclaimer: These are only facts in my own imagination, maybe it's close to reality, but the timeline might be a little scewed.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 4

I'm very positive we will be able to play the Alpha of the standalone this fall/winter.

I'd literally take a bet that it isn't out before mid 2013, around august.

About a year.

Why would it take such a long time to port the mod over to the upgraded ArmA2 engine that is used in ArmA3? Also doubt that Rocket is working on this alone so that would quicken the porting too, and if they plan on releasing it as a standalone it wouldn't be held back by ArmA3's release dates and such.

• Like 2

I have also read they want to go with the Minecraft pay model. As I have never played Minecraft I would like to know how that pay model works. Could anybody explain?

EDIT:

Ah, Dallas just explained it. Could you please elaborate. You mean each time there is a release (alpha, beta, final) you would have to pay a certain amount? Let's say if the final would cost USD 30 and you are playing it since alpha you would have paid the whole price in three installments?

2nd EDIT:

Scrap it. I just got it. Well at least I hope so. So if you are playing since Alpha and paid USD 10 for the game this is it. You basically got the final for USD 10. Everbody else who is jumping in after the final has been released would have to pay the whole price, e.g. USD 30. Right?

Edited by bankst3r

That's a good post Dallas - I too have always wondered what's meant by the 'Minecraft' model, given that I've never played that game.

For all those wondering what this means, if you've watched any interviews with Rocket at all, you'll know he's favoured this model from the start, and I'm glad he's most likely got his way. Bodes well for the rest of the project.

Given how many people have forked out for ArmaII just to play DayZ, I'd say that the standalone is going in the right direction. I'll buy it without thinking about it, really.

Imagine if DayZ mod was the standalone, that you didn't have to buy ArmA2:CO, but just could buy a game key and download the rest.

DayZ build 1.1 would cost $9

DayZ build 1.2 would cost $11

DayZ build 1.5 would cost $13

DayZ build 1.6 when rocket messed up the zombies, he'd refund you $3

DayZ build 1.7 he'd refund you $6 due to graphic glitches.

DayZ build 1.8 would cost $15

Final build would cost $30.

If you bought at 1.1 you'd get access to the entire development, all the builds and be able to use your 9 dollar key to play the final 30 dollar game.

Do you want to play now or play later? The answer to my question will answer yours.

You can't develop a good game in under a year, look at CoD, DayZ standalone will take 1.5 years minimum and 3 years max. For now enjoy the mod, this is however assuming they don't do a minecraftesque release where you can buy your way into the alpha/beta, which I hope they intend on doing.

It will go exactly like this, it's confirmed.