Sign in to follow this  
SoldierSurreal

Arma 3 DayZ?

Off the top of my head, it's been said that it would be easy to port it to the arma 3 engine.

On a bit of an assumption, when DayZ goes standalone, it wouldn't shock me if it was based on the arma 3 engine. That would give Rocket all the things he needs to put the game in the right direction.

Also working on this assumption it would fall in the right time frame too as end of the year release would fall around arma 3 beta.

I asked him the same question at Rezzed, "If you go standalone will you use the Arma 3 engine?" His answer was super vague and seemed like either he didn't want to make promises he might not be able to keep or perhaps it would be a lot of work rebuilding dayz on the arma 3 engine. He HAS heaped a lot of praise on the arma 2 engine on countless occasions. Perhaps he thinks keeping it on the arma 2 engine would be best?

Oh his answer was something like "Bohemia will support the mod if it goes standalone, the arma 3 engine is very good" or something to that effect. It was a while ago.. :<

Edited by imHark

i would prefer it to go standalone and than stay as a mod for Arma 3

Yes, a new Map, 90% of the buildings are walkable, and the new graphics.

Edited by SoldierSurreal

I'm thinking it could be a good idea to turn DayZ into an ArmA 3 Expansion, something costing an extra $15 or something, instead of calling it a... mod, it could be something official that Bohemia can market and advertise. And 100% or near of the money made from the Expansion could be given directly to Rocket and his team, as DayZ would undoubtedly with its reputation give ArmA 3 a lot of sales, just as it did for ArmA 2, that got the attention of Bohemia for sure. And made them quite a bit of money.

That's probably the easier option, almost like becoming a standalone game within another game, a step up from a mod, and eliminating the costs of getting an engine officially for a fully standalone, just a paid mod really. And with Rocket actually getting money for DayZ through sales, he can bring in people and pay them to dedicate some of their time on different areas of the game to tailor things to DayZ, get mappers to modify ArmA 3 maps etc... I think he had some volunteers come in an do animation for him and such which was awesome, but not everyone is going to offer their time and expertise for free.

Standalone would be great, but I'd guess it would come with a lot of startup costs. ArmA 3 in whatever way it is used, offers 99% of the content off the bat, the engine, weapons, vehicles, physics, models etc... Then DayZ can take those and just expand on them, like an expansion :D

And if was given the title of an Expansion, with help from Bohemia it would probably have a proper installer, ArmA 3 would be prepared to embrace DayZ, instead of as a mod needing to pretty much plant the game into the game files and do a bunch of crap to get things working, it would be properly recognized and easily installed into the game. It took a lot of faffing around to get DayZ working lets be honest... and to go back to normal ArmA 2 it involves more faffing around to stop DayZ automatically running.

Expansion > Mod.

Or standalone, but you know, that's a different thing altogether.

I swear I've seen a comment or something about this...

They've tried it and works flawless and are going to implent this into the game full time, so will come with the game pre done.

I swear thats what I seen.

That be the only reason I buy Arma 3, because Arma games themselves are dull, boring and not worth it. Dayz has changed it and made them fun.

Also let dead threads rest :)

Locked. This thread is OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!