Sign in to follow this  
Pyrokaiser

STANAG SD VS STANAG

Hello. I play DayZ since one month and now i have my second L85A2 AWS (my first real one because i have found my first in a tent and i die 20 min after ><) and i was thinking that it's better to use it with SD mag because i was thinking they do less noise. So at another heli crash site i found a box of ammunition with 20 STANAG and 10 STANAG SD so i take all the SD mags and let the stanag mag.

fter few min i try to kill some Z but i miss my shots. So i think it's because of the mags.

Now i am pretty sure that SD mags are unaccurate with this weapons, so i come here to find if i feel true or not ...

If they are inacurrate is there any reason to use them with L85 ?

Or i just have to throw all my SD mags and take normal STANAG ?

Thanks for the answer =)

Well, SD mags are for Silenced Weapons, and I'm pretty sure the rounds fall short in long distance, and they are a bit inaccurate.

Take the regular STAGNAG, the gun isn't silenced so ya.

Well, SD mags are for Silenced Weapons, and I'm pretty sure the rounds fall short in long distance, and they are a bit inaccurate.

Take the regular STAGNAG, the gun isn't silenced so ya.

Doesn't matter if the gun isn't silenced, only players can hear it, Zombies can't tell the difference between a silenced gun and a non silenced, the AI determines it based on the Ammo... as it figures since SD guns can't use regular mags, SD mags must ALWAYS be silent.

So go for the SD when you can

EDIT: Also, it's not the ammo, it's the sight on the L85, you have to figure it out as it's not just point and click, and the gun itself isn't exactly accurate unless something is farther away.. the game seems to think that your breathing makes bullets fly into the atmosphere

Edited by Asylix

The main difference is in the speed, the normal STANAG round travels around ~900 m/s depending on the weapon, while the SD rounds travel at ~300 m/s depending on the weapon. The noise should only differ little, but a SD weapon should be more silent than a non-SD weapon with SD rounds, so if zombies don't get attracted by a non-SD weapon with SD rounds something obviously wrong, as the muzzle sound would be the largest sound source. The bullet itself would be more quiet, but that's not the main sound source. Oh, and as the type of bullet has a large influence on speed, the range drop will also be different for different types of ammo. So you may find weapons ill calibrated for a normal firing distance for an assault weapon (225 m / 300 m).

I can't confirm nor deny that zombies don't get attracted by SD rounds in a non-SD weapon, one way to find out..

SD_vs_normal.png

Edited by Bravo-Two-Zero

The amount of noise doesn't differ. The main difference is in the speed, the normal STANAG round travels around ~900 m/s depending on the weapon, while the SD rounds travel at ~300 m/s depending on the weapon. So if you don't have a silenced weapon, also don't use SD rounds but just the normal STANAG rounds instead.

That defeats the purpose of a silent gun, without SD rounds zombies can still hear you -_-

The AI doesn't recognize the gun, it recognizes the ammo

It's why i post here my question ... 3 posts, 3 different answer ><

So who's right ? Who trust ? Which mags i have to use ? ><

You can use STANAG SD mags in weapons that use normal STANAG, but it will mess up your aim. I usually carry 2-3 SD mags for my STANAG guns just for close encounters in zombie populated areas. Less aggro that way, since zombies don't hear the SD shots. For long range shots, SD mags are pretty useless, unless the weapon is a silenced one.

EDIT: SD shots from non-silenced STANAG weapons go - at least on close ranges - way above the aiming point. You can compensate and up close (in buildings etc.) you can just aim for the center mass.

Edited by Squirreli

Ppl saying things they don't know lol, works like this, you have a normal M4A1 lets say, SD mags will fire normally for human ears, but zombies won't hear it, same distance same all but the aim gets f*cked up.

But if you use a SD mag on a SD weapon, then the distance the bullet goes is way smaller.. but even players won't hear you shooting, and if they hear it will be quite low and close.

Edited by Vort3x
  • Like 3

Ppl saying things they don't know lol, works like this, you have a normal M4A1 lets say, SD mags will fire normally for human ears, but zombies won't hear it, same distance same all.

But if you use a SD mag on a SD weapon, then the distance the bullet goes is way smaller.. but even players won't hear you shooting, and if they hear it will be quite low and close.

That's what i've been trying to tell them for the last 20 friggin minutes, you get my beans sir

Before i switch all my mags all my shots are in my target. At any distance. I am pretty sure.

Now i can't kill a Z at something like 150/200 m.

So i am pretty sure it's the ammo but maybe i am wrong ...

Yes

The SD ammo changes zero on several non-SD weapons

The M16A4 ACOG shoots perfectly fine when being used with SD ammo

The M4A3 CCO on the other hand shoots way high when being used with SD ammo

Load the editor with the L85 and SD ammo, figure out the zero there

Oh and try to get some regular STANAG ammo ASAP

Edited by Hawk24

Handy dandy tip: Using Stanag SD ammo on most non SD weapons will make the bullets go higher then normal ammo, aim lower then you'd usually do and suddenly the SD ammo will be much more effective in non SD guns.

If you look on wiki it shows a bunch of weapons that are inaccurate with SD ammo. They shoot higher than the dot in the holo/sight w/e

Handy dandy tip: Using Stanag SD ammo on most non SD weapons will make the bullets go higher then normal ammo, aim lower then you'd usually do and suddenly the SD ammo will be much more effective in non SD guns.

That really explains the headshots when I aim center mass....

Here's the simple answer

STANAG SD magazines (not clips)are very inaccurate in a non SD gun

Zombies cannot hear SD rounds even in a NON SD gun but players will be able to hear them

SD rounds in a NON SD gun are very inaccurate and are only good until about 20m away

Hope this helps :)

I was using SD rounds for a long time in a NON SD gun so I know all of this

Can an SD gun even load normal mags? I've never thought to try it.

My understanding is that the gun isn't less accurate with SD ammo, it's just that the SD ammo is sub-sonic (so there won't be a sonic boom that defeats the point of suppressing the gunshot sound) and therefore has a much steeper dropoff. Hence, if a gun is sighted in at 100m with normal ammo the bullet might be a couple inches high at 50m, but if it's zeroed to 100m with sub-sonic ammo it'll be much higher at 50m, since the slower round's trajectory has to be higher.

Fired SD rounds out of an L85 recently, and they do not attract zombies. The range is severely reduced, but they are good anti-zombie rounds. Players still hear them I think. Normal STANAG rounds are better for players because they are more precise.

What about shooting non SD rounds from an SD gun? What effect would happen from doing that?

Wish you could, but it is impossible. Only SD rounds.

Edited by whitetigerofmichigan

you know that you need to zero the L85 properly? like the AKM?

Can an SD gun even load normal mags? I've never thought to try it.

No

SD gun can only use SD ammo

Non-SD gun can use non-SD and SD ammo(implying that you have the same kind, like STANAG ammo)

My understanding is that the gun isn't less accurate with SD ammo, it's just that the SD ammo is sub-sonic (so there won't be a sonic boom that defeats the point of suppressing the gunshot sound) and therefore has a much steeper dropoff.

It's not a steeper dropoff

The whole zeroing is FUBAR when using SD ammo in a non-SD weapon

When I loaded stanag SD ammo in my M16A2 my shots went waaaayyy high, I had to aim at the feet in order to hit the chest of a zombie that was standing 10m infront of me

cause the M16A2 is zeroed at 200m i assume and the weapon aims on 200m to get the bullet in a point 200m away -> need to compensate the bulletdrop ;)