Sign in to follow this  
CaptainIcy

Found a Chopper Crash Site...No loot?

There was absolutely nothing. No way of getting into the chopper (scroll wheel) and no loot or anything. Is this normal? It was my first time ever finding a crash site so maybe I don't know something.

Soon zombies started flocking to me so I got outta there.

People are always saying if you want amazing loot to go find a crash site… but there was nothing.

Normally the loot is on the ground around the heli, check a 5m radius

• Like 1

my guess either the loot had not spawned yet, a spawn cycle for loot starts when a player comes within 200m of a spawn point and can take up to 10min to spawn all the loot or someone looted it already, either way that sucks for you m8

Edited by Acix

chances are you didnt look hard enough or youre just unlucky and someone looted it before..but i doubt someone looted everything and didnt leave something.. you want to crouch WALK around it moving your mouse left and right scanning the ground til you see a loot indicator.. i usually cirlce the chopper about 3 times before leaving cause things like nvg can be hard to spot.. also it seems like right after a server reboot not much loot spawns at them i usually only see like 1 gun..

Yeah, I checked some YouTube videos of people looting crash sites and saw where it should've been, but there was nothing around it, so maybe someone had just found it recently. Oh well. :)

Although in one of the videos I watched, the person got in the chopper (obviously couldn't fly) and was on the minigun. I had no option to enter the chopper which is what I found odd.

I stuck around for about 10 minutes, circling the chopper in walking/crouching/prone position and just never found anything. I guess someone had either looted it already or it hadn't spawned. My money's on the latter.

Edited by CaptainIcy

Best way to find out if there is something is using binoculars/sniper scope from far away,

• Like 1

somebody was there before you. if there is no loot at all there might have been more than one people, either together or passing by like you.

Yeah, I checked some YouTube videos of people looting crash sites and saw where it should've been, but there was nothing around it, so maybe someone had just found it recently. Oh well. :)

Although in one of the videos I watched, the person got in the chopper (obviously couldn't fly) and was on the minigun. I had no option to enter the chopper which is what I found odd.

I stuck around for about 10 minutes, circling the chopper in walking/crouching/prone position and just never found anything. I guess someone had either looted it already or it hadn't spawned. My money's on the latter.

you cant get into crashed helis and i wouldnt try crawling in it either you will break a bone probably..the helis you can fly have 2 m20s one on each side not miniguns and they look perfect when found not crashed

A good tip is to crawl around it to flatten the grass so you can see the items.

• Like 1

It was probably already looted, but you also have to check carefully. I found a lone AS50 on a chopper that had already been looted - I had to look diagonally into the chopper between the pilot/co-pilot seats at just the right spot to see it. We had been looking for probably 3 or 4 minutes when I finally found it.

my understanding is that loot spawning on crash sites has nothing to do with a player being nearby. it is spawned on server start and stays there (or maybe spawns over a certain period of time).

seems like it was picked clean.

A good tip is to crawl around it to flatten the grass so you can see the items.

That reminds me of a video on YouTube of someone who used a satchel charge to blow up an already looted helicopter. After the explosion the helicopter was gone and all of the grass was as well. They found several items that were completely hidden under the helicopter still.

Had a similar thing just happen to me, found a chopper, no loot, one minigun had muzzleflash animation stuck on. I ran away about 50-70m logged out and then back in. When I did there was about 8-10 militia zombies standing around and a survivor sprinting toward the chopper. Managed to sneak behind him and pump a clip of my AKS into his back and then scrounge a DMR from the chopper. Only thing is, this is the best weapon and first sniper I've found so far, so I'm too scared to keep playing in case I loose it. D=

RU 81.

I've encountered 3 (yes, THREE) heli crash sites in a radius about 1 km (it was deep night, I had no NVG and it was easy to spot because of fire burning). There were a whole bunch of zeds, and absolutely no loot. At all, not even a freaking empty cans. THAT PISSED ME OFF. I went to NW airfields barracks and found an ammo box, and a pile of tin cans again.

WTF?! Server-troll?

ANGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Sometimes I loot everything so noone else is getting something.

There are now three kinds of crashed heli, that I've seen (not counting the fourth, which are those that steak and potatoes flies).

1 and 2 are;

Mi17 or Lynx, crashed, burnt out hull, no smoke or flames present. No zombies spawn. These are new low level loot locations.

The third is a crashed lynx, smoking (visible during day) and on fire (very visible at night). 10+ zombies will spawn if you walk within about 200m. This can be avoided if you drive a vehicle right up to it. This is the helo crash with high end loot; likely to be picked clean already, also likely to have hostile bandit sniper close by.

Hope this helps.

AC

• Like 1

Why hallo thar

I find the best way to see the loot at a crash site that is located on grass is to lay on the ground and roll/crawl around the area around the chopper. This will crush the grass into the ground revealing any hidden treasures.

Also crash sites dont work the same as most spawns. Once the site has been looted the loot will not return till after the server restarts. At which point the chopper will mostlikely randomly appear at a different location.

Hope this helps.

regard

-Wik

My guess is it was just recently looted, best time to find crash sites is just after a server restart. Btw, Roll Tide buddy. xD

Just go on and find some more. I found 2 heli crashs when I started playing DayZ and havent seen them since 2 weeks ago. 4 Heli Crashs in this time, none of them had loot.

Half an hour ago I found one with NVGs, Ghillie, M107 and FN FAL though. Depends on your timing, if someone else was faster.

Yep, probably got cleaned out. Chopper wrecks only spawn loot when they're placed at server restart. Some servers restart many times a day (4 hour intervals is not uncommon) so they'll have choppers with goodies almost all the time. Other servers will have few restarts, so a chopper might be picked clean for a day or more before they respawn at a new location. The loot spawns under the tail section and right under the fuselage (first-person prone will help you) are the most often missed.

You'll also find that many chopper wrecks have guns, but no ammo. Clans that maintain tent cities will often scrounge FAL and Bizon magazines, but leave the guns behind due to storage constraints, so it's not uncommon to find an FAL left behind with no mags for it.