Apelgrandure

mic not working in game? LOOK HERE!!

Hey guys,

decided to register and give some tips on how to get your mic working in-game.

I had an issue where my mic was plugged in but DayZ would not transmit my voice. My mic worked for skype, teamspeak, vent and google talk with no issues.

I found this very strange and started to investigate, I tried everything I could find on the internet to get it to work.

This is based on my findings and how I managed to get it to work finally.

First make sure:

• Your using the direct communication channel in the game, this can be achieved by using the fullstop and comma key on your keyboard to chage the voice channel.
  • Your mic is plugged in (seems stupid but just make sure).
  • Your using the correct key to transmit your voice (push to talk key) in DayZ, to check what it is set to (default should be Caps Lock as far as I know) go into your settings page (after pressing escape on the keyboard) and checking your key bindings (while in DayZ). if it is working it will show a mic on the screen when u push it.

if you have done everything listed above, then lets move onto more complex solutions.

Im going to list all the solutions I know of, try a combination of them or one at a time and see if they work for you:

SOLUTION 1

Check that your running Arma 2:OA in administritive mode. This can be achieved by right clicking the ArmA2OA.exe and selecting "Properties", after that click on the "compatibility" tab and then under "privilege level" tick "Run this program as a administrator". If you own Arma 2 and Arma 2:OA on steam, then it will be installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead. If you dont have the steam version then im sorry but I have no idea of the default location for Arma 2 when installing from a normal installer, please google this and im sure you will find the correct location.

SOLUTION 2

Check that your microphone that is being used is set as Default device and Default communication device. This can be achieved by going into control panel in windows (press the windows key, it will be on the right side of the window that pops up) clicking on "Hardware and sound" then clicking on "Sound". This will bring up the sound window, click on the "recording" tab and then right click on the microphone you are using (if you have multiple then perhaps its best to unplug and rather use one). There will also be sound controllers under the recording tab, ignore them for now. Once you have right clicked on the microphone there will be a drop down box, check if you can see the words Default device and Default communication device and make sure they have a tick next to them on the left. If you cant see the words then its most likely that the device is already set as Default, if this is the case, simply right click on a sound controller under the "recording" tab and make it your default device and Default communication device, then right click on your microphone again and set it back to default the way I explained before. This is to make sure that windows has in fact registerd with all other programs that it is the default device, sometimes its listed as default but it doesnt work until you have reset it to default. Sound controllers have names like "Stereo Mix" and the microphone will be listed under the name "Microphone".

SOLUTION 3

In Arma 2:OA or while in DayZ, set your microphone up so that it responds to your voice in a more sensitive way, this can be achieved by going into Arma 2:OA or DayZ Options.Once in options, click Audio Options and then click on Auto adjust, wait for auto adjust (speak loudly while its auto adjusting) to complete and then exit Arma 2:OA or DayZ and restart your computer.

Good Luck and I hope this works for you!

(PS: Sorry for the terrible grammer and spelling, wrote this in a rush. Thanks for your understanding!)

UPDATE

SOLUTION 4

Thanks to Grodenn for this one!

I just found another solution on some random website:

"You may be facing mic problems in DayZ. To fix the issue, make sure that the recording device in your steam settings is set to your mic. If no device is available, you can choose the detect audio devices option. Test your microphone and you should all be fine."

When I check my settings in steam it was actually set to the integrated sound card and not my real sound card that I'm using, just hope that was the actual problem ill try it out next time my friend can play :).

UPDATE

SOLUTION 5

Thanks to Stings2pee for this one!

As you probably already know, you can JOIN and PLAY on servers that have YOUR ArmA 2: OA beta patch version or OLDER.

But here's what you didn't know....

You MUST be running the EXACT same beta version as the server you're playing on to be heard on Direct Communication and Group Channel using voice transmission.

9 times out of 10, players will NOT hear your voice on servers with different beta versions from your own. From my experience, text chat via Direct Communication appears to be unaffected on mis-matching beta versions but I have heard stories of Direct Communication (text) not working on occasion for some players.

You're welcome.

...And remember: you heard it first from Stings2pee :D

****Please do your part and help keep this thread bumped so other players can see it too****

Here is the link for this solutions original post

http://dayzmod.com/f...e-announcement/

Edited by Apelgrandure
  • Like 14

The only solution I haven't tried yet is Solution 1, which I'm unsure of on how to do. I launch DayZ through the Six Launcher, what should I do then?

The only solution I haven't tried yet is Solution 1, which I'm unsure of on how to do. I launch DayZ through the Six Launcher, what should I do then?

Sorry to hear that none of the other soultions worked for you

Solution 1 is quite simple, you have to go to the folder where your arma 2 and arma 2 operation arrowhead is installed.

if your using steam, go to :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead

inside arma 2 operation arrowhead folder there will be a exe called ArmA2OA.exe, right click on it and select "Properties", after that click on the "compatibility" tab and then under "privilege level" tick "Run this program as a administrator"

When you use six launcher it will run arma 2 from that exe and hence your game will be run as administrator

Hope this helps!

Edited by Apelgrandure
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear that none of the other soultions worked for you

Solution 1 is quite simple, you have to go to the folder where your arma 2 and arma 2 operation arrowhead is installed.

if your using steam, go to :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead

inside arma 2 operation arrowhead folder there will be a exe called ArmA2OA.exe, right click on it and select "Properties", after that click on the "compatibility" tab and then under "privilege level" tick "Run this program as a administrator"

When you use six launcher it will run arma 2 from that exe and hence your game will be run as administrator

Hope this helps!

I assumed that Six launcher would launch the game in some other method, but apparently not. I followed step 1 and my mic works now. Thanks for the help!

I assumed that Six launcher would launch the game in some other method, but apparently not. I followed step 1 and my mic works now. Thanks for the help!

Great to hear that!

Glad i could help :)

Right Apelgrandure can you solve this? My chat is turned up, and I've followed all the solutions above... I can talk fine to people in dayZ (I've had this confirmed) however I can only hear people very faintly to the point where it's barely noticeable.

I'm using Turtle Beach X12s

Right Apelgrandure can you solve this? My chat is turned up, and I've followed all the solutions above... I can talk fine to people in dayZ (I've had this confirmed) however I can only hear people very faintly to the point where it's barely noticeable.

I'm using Turtle Beach X12s

I experianced this issue with a friend of mine today, he could hear me speak but it was very faint, I have confirmed that my mic is working with others and he is the only one that cant hear me loudly.

This seems to be a whole other issue that im not sure I can help with

My friend is working on trying to fix this issue and if he does I will post the soultion asap

Sorry I cant be of more help!

Edited by Apelgrandure

I experianced this issue with a friend of mine today, he could hear me speak but it was very faint, I have confirmed that my mic is working with others and he is the only one that cant hear me loudly.

This seems to be a whole other issue that im not sure I can help with

My friend is working on trying to fix this issue and if he does I will post the soultion asap

Sorry I cant be of more help!

Cheers, any word you get give me some beans on this thread. Thanks.

I have tried all 3 nothing works =/ really weird problem (and yes my mic is obviously working using other software's like skype).

"You may be facing mic problems in DayZ. To fix the issue, make sure that the recording device in your steam settings is set to your mic. If no device is available, you can choose the detect audio devices option. Test your microphone and you should all be fine."

When I check my settings in steam it was actually set to the integrated sound card and not my real sound card that I'm using, just hope that was the actual problem ill try it out next time my friend can play :).

Edited by Grodenn

Thanks so much for your contribution, we really appreciate it :)

Keep them coming guys

Got a extra soultion to add? add it! :)

Hey guys,

decided to register and give some tips on how to get your mic working in-game.

I had an issue where my mic was plugged in but DayZ would not transmit my voice. My mic worked for skype, teamspeak, vent and google talk with no issues.

I found this very strange and started to investigate, I tried everything I could find on the internet to get it to work.

This is based on my findings and how I managed to get it to work finally.

First make sure:

• Your using the direct communication channel in the game, this can be achieved by using the fullstop and comma key on your keyboard to chage the voice channel.
  • Your mic is plugged in (seems stupid but just make sure).
  • Your using the correct key to transmit your voice (push to talk key) in DayZ, to check what it is set to (default should be Caps Lock as far as I know) go into your settings page (after pressing escape on the keyboard) and checking your key bindings (while in DayZ). if it is working it will show a mic on the screen when u push it.

if you have done everything listed above, then lets move onto more complex solutions.

Im going to list all the solutions I know of, try a combination of them or one at a time and see if they work for you:

SOLUTION 1

Check that your running Arma 2:OA in administritive mode. This can be achieved by right clicking the ArmA2OA.exe and selecting "Properties", after that click on the "compatibility" tab and then under "privilege level" tick "Run this program as a administrator". If you own Arma 2 and Arma 2:OA on steam, then it will be installed in your steam folder (normally in program files) under Steam\Steamapps\Common\arma 2 operation arrowhead. If you dont have the steam version then im sorry but I have no idea of the default location for Arma 2 when installing from a normal installer, please google this and im sure you will find the correct location.

SOLUTION 2

Check that your microphone that is being used is set as Default device and Default communication device. This can be achieved by going into control panel in windows (press the windows key, it will be on the right side of the window that pops up) clicking on "Hardware and sound" then clicking on "Sound". This will bring up the sound window, click on the "recording" tab and then right click on the microphone you are using (if you have multiple then perhaps its best to unplug and rather use one). There will also be sound controllers under the recording tab, ignore them for now. Once you have right clicked on the microphone there will be a drop down box, check if you can see the words Default device and Default communication device and make sure they have a tick next to them on the left. If you cant see the words then its most likely that the device is already set as Default, if this is the case, simply right click on a sound controller under the "recording" tab and make it your default device and Default communication device, then right click on your microphone again and set it back to default the way I explained before. This is to make sure that windows has in fact registerd with all other programs that it is the default device, sometimes its listed as default but it doesnt work until you have reset it to default. Sound controllers have names like "Stereo Mix" and the microphone will be listed under the name "Microphone".

SOLUTION 3

In Arma 2:OA or while in DayZ, set your microphone up so that it responds to your voice in a more sensitive way, this can be achieved by going into Arma 2:OA or DayZ Options.Once in options, click Audio Options and then click on Auto adjust, wait for auto adjust (speak loudly while its auto adjusting) to complete and then exit Arma 2:OA or DayZ and restart your computer.

Good Luck and I hope this works for you!

(PS: Sorry for the terrible grammer and spelling, wrote this in a rush. Thanks for your understanding!)

UPDATE

SOLUTION 4

Thanks to Grodenn for this one!

I have the steam versions of the game but I run DayZ through DayZCommander so how should I go about running as admin? Same way, just access the F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead folder and select the properties for the ArmA2OA application?

I have the steam versions of the game but I run DayZ through DayZCommander so how should I go about running as admin? Same way, just access the F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead folder and select the properties for the ArmA2OA application?

Yes, Solution 1 will still work

Both DayZCommander and Six Launcher run the game from the ArmA2OA.exe, so setting it as admin will still run it in admin mode when using DayZCommander or Six Launcher to launch the game

Hope that helps!

I was just wondering if anyone had any luck using a wireless Xbox 360 headset. I know my mic works fine because i'm always using it on skype and tf2 i just can't get it to work with Dayz.... I've tried all the above tips but nothing seems to work.

• Like 1

I was just wondering if anyone had any luck using a wireless Xbox 360 headset. I know my mic works fine because i'm always using it on skype and tf2 i just can't get it to work with Dayz.... I've tried all the above tips but nothing seems to work.

I have never heard of anyone using the Xbox 360 headset before on pc so im really not sure how to go about fixing your problem :(

Sorry I cant be of more help

Only suggestion I can give is to buy a proper pc headset or mic :)

Yeah i'm starting to get the feeling that buying a new headset is the only thing i can do :(

I will keep looking for a solution, i'll post on here if i find one just in case someone else is having the same problem.

Thanks anyway! :)

just to give you guys an update about the Xbox 360 wireless headset. I've got it to work, so it is possible to use this headset with Dayz.

I ended up just following the guide in this thread! :)

It turns out my headset worked for a while now but the guy i normally play with didn't have the same version of arma as me so he couldn't hear me... -.-

anyway sorted now so thanks :)

just to give you guys an update about the Xbox 360 wireless headset. I've got it to work, so it is possible to use this headset with Dayz.

I ended up just following the guide in this thread! :)

It turns out my headset worked for a while now but the guy i normally play with didn't have the same version of arma as me so he couldn't hear me... -.-

anyway sorted now so thanks :)

Glad to hear its working :)

Edited by Apelgrandure

What if you don't have steam? will chatting still work like normal? I haven't tried it yet.

Yes it should work normally :)

My in game voice still doesn't work. Teamspeak, Skype, Vent all that works fine, just nobody can hear me in game. Use to work but no longer does.

My in game voice still doesn't work. Teamspeak, Skype, Vent all that works fine, just nobody can hear me in game. Use to work but no longer does.

Have you tried everything in this thread?

Edited by Apelgrandure