Ander (DayZ)

Some feature ideas requesting feedback

Just an example and idea, no guarantees that this will be implemented.

While ghosting has indeed been a problem for some I'd like to address this in quite a simple and elegant behaviour.

Implementing a new type of object.

Portable radiotower (quite tall so it's visible and can be deactivated by other people)

Characteristics:

- Requires an active 'portable generator' to "power" the radiotower.

- Prevents "logins" inside a radius of the broadcast range of this radiotower.

- Broadcast range of jamming signal affects the length power draw.

* Players attempting to login within the broadcast radius will be told that there is currently an active radiotower broadcasting a jamming signal.

* Players is given choice to spawn to spawn at edge of the jamming signal.

Portable generator

- Requires fuel (can be refueled with jerry can)

- Powers a radiotower for up to 6h at minimum range, and 30 to 60min at maximum range .

Burning fireplaces works as before but with added function:

- Prevents login within 100 to 200m (radius to be balanced)

- Displays similar message to player attempting to login, player is given choice to spawn at edge of radius.

Secondly. I'd like to start supporting active communities basing out of different servers.

Especially those active by helping them setup camps / bases . This would mostly be cosmetic things, but could be such things as camo netting in forests and tents.

Pros / cons ?

Edited by Ander
  • Like 27

I like the idea but nothing like telling the player logging in that there is someone for them to kill nearby.

How would it handle friends logging in?

What if I get dc'ed and can't back to my spot now because this is running?

Sounds like something that requires a group 2+ maybe so it's not as easy to be setup, what about spawn rates of such a things, wouldnt't want to many per server or even too often of a spawn i would guess

If it just prevents logins in a area, its nothing special IMHO. I can see its uses. But are RadioTower gonna be linked with Radios at some point? Generator do more than just power a Radio tower?

OFC this is all talk atm, but if its just gonna prevent logins in a radius... I don't see anything special about it. Help guard camp sites, is what I'm sure it was for.

• Like 1

If it just prevents logins in a area, its nothing special IMHO. I can see its uses. But are RadioTower gonna be linked with Radios at some point? Generator do more than just power a Radio tower?

OFC this is all talk atm, but if its just gonna prevent logins in a radius... I don't see anything special about it. Help guard camp sites, is what I'm sure it was for.

If it gets linked with radio's that would be nice with a maybe 5-20m radius?

Edited by Ryziou

I like the idea but nothing like telling the player logging in that there is someone for them to kill nearby.

How would it handle friends logging in?

What if I get dc'ed and can't back to my spot now because this is running?

Player controlling the object would surely know if you accidently logged out and could temporarily turn it off. :)

Controlling shutoff behaviour would need to be balanced. For example if everyone loses connection, or nobody inside the radius it should turn off.

A fireplace will disappear when the player who placed it logout.

The portable radiotower would be as it implies. Portable, players could lug them around and place where they want to establish a defensive perimeter.

They'd be group of 2+ to viably carry around the radiomast + generator and still have room for other gear. Unless moved in vehicles.

Edited by Ander
  • Like 1

Only problem with putting it in a camp is like he said it would be big to it's visible, are you willing to risk your camp being raided cos they know there is a radio tower about

This would be a good way to stop server hopping into the barracks for people who farm. I think it is a cool idea for the farming type, but there are probably better things to spend the resources on.

Yeah, these ideas are cool, although they will be of very limited use for most players. Also, potential "exploit" situations would need to be addressed (i.e. once a player lights a new fire, the old one goes out).

In addition, if I had logged out on the outskirts of a town, but now that location is jammed, and I select to log in at the edge of the radius, is there potential that I could be spawned directly IN a town? This would be undesirable.

I would say that these are good ideas with merit, but they should be implemented down the road, after more pertinent bugs are squashed, such as the zombie aggro.

Yeah, didn't think of this. The player spawning in would have an immediate advantage, knowing that others are nearby.

Im well aware of what we spend the resources on :)

This was an idea that I dont think would be too impossible to implement.

Fireplaces burn out rather quickly atm (10-15min without wood piles). So the fireplaces are already self-limited.

Radiotowers would require maintenance and wouldnt prevent someone from ambushing "farmers" but prevent ghosting .

• Like 1

Only problem with putting it in a camp is like he said it would be big to it's visible, are you willing to risk your camp being raided cos they know there is a radio tower about

Good point, with that raised. I see no point in a Radio Tower than. Unless your group drags it with you when raiding a town or Airfield, to help secure it better (Maybe?).

EDIT: I just think this feature is gonna be limited to a very small number of people. Untill the Tower does more things (like connect with Radios, that Rocket has been hinting at wanting for months now). But just "no login" zone. Meh.

Edited by KilrBe3

Yeah, these ideas are cool, although they will be of very limited use for most players. Also, potential "exploit" situations would need to be addressed (i.e. once a player lights a new fire, the old one goes out).

In addition, if I had logged out on the outskirts of a town, but now that location is jammed, and I select to log in at the edge of the radius, is there potential that I could be spawned directly IN a town? This would be undesirable.

I would say that these are good ideas with merit, but they should be implemented down the road, after more pertinent bugs are squashed, such as the zombie aggro.

Also would wound t wanna spawn out at sea either lol if the radius is long

Yeah, didn't think of this. The player spawning in would have an immediate advantage, knowing that others are nearby.

Don't you think it's a fair tradeoff?

Player who dont want to be ghosted can avoid this by placing such objects - im sure the ghoster could find out where the player is long before hand.

On the other hand, players who do login will be given a warning.

Good point, with that raised. I see no point in a Radio Tower than. Unless your group drags it with you when raiding a town or Airfield, to help secure it better (Maybe?).

The object wouldnt be so tall that'd be easily spotted (making bases a possibility), but not as small that it wont be spottable at all if someone is actively looking for it in the area.

Im well aware of what we spend the resources on :)

This was an idea that I dont think would be too impossible to implement.

Fireplaces burn out rather quickly atm (10-15min without wood piles). So the fireplaces are already self-limited.

Radiotowers would require maintenance and wouldnt prevent someone from ambushing "farmers" but prevent ghosting .

Nothings impossible and an idea is an idea, i think there are pro's and con's to every idea in the event this went further it would be balanced and could work, same for anything and any idea

Sounds like a great idea.

Also happy to hear you're thinking about camo netting.

Pros: Will surely help conceal things a little more (Red tractors in the forest etc) from a distance. (Obviously can make your camp more visable at closer range, but that's something people will have to weigh up.

Cons: Might be hard to place in forests/on slopes without looking very weird.

Could imagine it might act like more barbed wire in places. People placing it to block enterances etc (Then again, that depends how rare it'll be - I'd assume it'd be classed as military loot)

• Like 1

The object wouldnt be so tall that'd be easily spotted (making bases a possibility), but not as small that it wont be spottable at all if someone is actively looking for it in the area.

Then again if your holding a radio tower in the woods in your camp for example and it;s not too large so its over the trees but mid height on the average tree, it's still not hard to spot metal in a pine forest :P specially if you have to spawn on the outskirt on the signal

yep try the radio tower or even something like a "burning tyre heap" instead of a tower.

will there be a way to connected DayZ Radios with TeamSpeak3 like ACRE?

Good way to implement radios in the game too

Then again if your holding a radio tower in the woods in your camp for example and it;s not too large so its over the trees but mid height on the average tree, it's still not hard to spot metal in a pine forest :P specially if you have to spawn on the outskirt on the signal

Ya, and once that player spawns outside the circle, and got the warning. He's gonna go hunting for a camp. Say B camp was near A camp, and A camp just got a Radio Tower, B camp members log in, get a message, spawn outside of circle, and now are on the hunt for the other nearby camp jamming their signal. See I see that as cool and realistic, but than again, its a dead giveaway there is a Tower in the area when logging in....

Like you said Ander, just gotta find the right tradeoffs

Ya, and once that player spawns outside the circle, and got the warning. He's gonna go hunting for a camp. Say B camp was near A camp, and A camp just got a Radio Tower, B camp members log in, get a message, spawn outside of circle, and now are on the hunt for the other nearby camp jamming their signal. See I see that as cool and realistic, but than again, its a dead giveaway there is a Tower in the area when logging in....

Like you said Ander, just gotta find the right tradeoffs

All bout writing a list of the pros and cons and working out the cons to pros