nahaz

[Guide] How to set up your graphics properly

Thanks for the tips :) I'm hoping I can get my laptop with integrated graphics to scrape by at 20-30 fps.

Do you have any other recommended settings, like maybe target parameters for the executable?

Thanks, this helped me with the FPS lags abit, pretty old graphics card, nVidia GeForce 9400 GT :|

• Like 1

Bookmarking it. Clearly worded and easy to understand. You could include cfg and profile settings but there are 2 threads about that as well as ingame settings.

Thanks for your comments!

Thanks for the tips :) I'm hoping I can get my laptop with integrated graphics to scrape by at 20-30 fps.

Do you have any other recommended settings, like maybe target parameters for the executable?

I believe I saw some post about that before, what I have not seen is how to properly start arma beta with steam so I might write a post for that. Anything certain you have had issues with or do you only want optimization?

Thanks going to try this when i get home, DayZ runs pretty smooth for me but when i started playing it the servers would be the largest cause of fps problems for me so i never got around to finalizing it. This will help me a lot, thanks for posting.

Dont forget that setting shadows to "Low" will force them to render on CPU, instead of GPU, this info might be quite useful for some...

• Like 1

Any setting below HIGH will use your CPU instead of your GPU :)

This is also interesting

True, i wrote it wrong .)

One thing to note, Visibility is set server side and cannot be adjusted in Dayz... so this setting only works in regular Arma.

(I assume this is to give a level playing field in PvP gaming, otherwise some would have 10k and others 1km view distances.. not really fair)

Edited by MadTommy
  • Like 1

awesome thanks for this guide. I had my postprocessing effects on very high and couldnt figure out why everything was so blurry, turned this off, and its all crispy now!! awesome!

Awsome, didn't know this. I only have a dual core so this might help me.

Hmm... That is fucked up.

So some ppl can actually get a better framerate by setting the graphics higher? Ofcourse, that depends on your hardware, and how its blanced gpu vs. cpu. I might gonna have to mess around a whole friggin' lot now..

If anyone have a computer that performs somewhat close to mine , it would be awesome if you could post your settings! :)

Intel Core i5 750 @ 3,8Ghz

AMD Radeon 5870 x2 (Crossfire)

To anybody that hasn't played any arma or 'take on' games, high settings render to GPU, lower force the CPU to do the work..

It's actually quite usefull, because you can balance the load across both CPU and GPU, if one is being bottlenecked, and the other spinning free..

Another tip, DON'T alter the video memory setting, unless you know what you are doing.

Also, set AA to low or off, and increase the 3d res to one step higher than your screen res.. it will give you a sudo-AA, with less overhead; Caveat - all results are dependent on your hardware, and may not always be better

AND, if you are using a multicore intel (I5 or I7), then disbale hyperthreading in your BIOS.. you don't need it if your not running servers, and it can cause microstuttering in games..

Edited by Skinman
  • Like 2

what about 3d resolution, is that controlled by cpu too? I have my resolution at 1920x1080(1920x1080 monitor) and 3d resolution at 67%

edit: yeah... after tinkering around with it and doing different combinations, the frame rate only got lower so i guess im keeping it on low settings for now.

Edited by khknight

I did not know that!

This is very useful since most people have much more cpu than gpu.

One thing to note, Visibility is set server side and cannot be adjusted in Dayz... so this setting only works in regular Arma.

(I assume this is to give a level playing field in PvP gaming, otherwise some would have 10k and others 1km view distances.. not really fair)

Yes it is controlled somewhat in the dayz mission, but in my testing (i'm also a server host) there are always room to adjust the visibility without hindering your vision too much if you can't play with it maxed out.

Is there a way to turn HDR off? I only played last night for maybe 30 minutes and I got a massive headache...on the same note, is there a way to modify the FOV? Ususually weird graphical effects and FOV are what give me a headache.

• Like 2

I updated the post with some changes you can make to config files in your arma profile folder. Please see the main post for instructions.

Thanks. I'll try some of these adjustments and hopefully I'll stop having a choppy FPS in populated servers.

Edit: wow, my game isn't choppy at all playing in full servers. Thanks a lot

Edited by iminnocent

Happy to see that it helps! :)