SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.50 Discussion

Found small bug, you can't chamber makarov with .380 it says "it doesn't fit there" :huh:

Yep, happened to me also.

I planted some tomatoes. Fertilizer takes up 6 slots, seeds take 1.

Planting 8 slots in a greenhouse consumes 40% fertilizer and 16 seeds (assuming the seed pack had 31 to start with).

4 minutes after planting tomatoes:

dcbyid.jpg

8 minutes after planting:

t6q8le.jpg

You get 13 tomatoes per slot planted. 8 slots = 104 tomatoes! (Here is where we need the Eat All option, so we can literally explode.)

If you don't have 13 slots in your inventory, the tomatoes appear on the ground as a single tomato without a number:

2hprll1.jpg

On an unrelated note, I had a Mosin. Dropped it in the nearest house where I laid down my crossbow. The gun disappeared through the floor and is nowhere around. But now I have a crossbow with 1 bolt. I'm happy.

2vazj1l.jpg

And drunk, but was happy before drinking.

Devs, give us the ability to build a greenhouse. Because I have a business idea:

WhiskeyTango's World Famous Chernarussian Tomatoes and Fish Fillets

100% Better than Chicken & Waffles, 100% Cheaper

Additional: the hacksaw does not degrade below Damaged state, no matter how many fish or meats I cut.

Edited by whiskeytango
  • Like 2

Silly Question, WhiskeyTango - why does the writing in your energy stats look so much different than mine? They appear to be bigger than usual. I'm not even sure it's the same font :huh:

Is there an option to change the settings for that or something?

Silly Question, WhiskeyTango - why does the writing in your energy stats look so much different than mine? They appear to be bigger than usual. I'm not even sure it's the same font :huh:

Is there an option to change the settings for that or something?

Good question.

Edit: Aha! Like Yano pointed out in the post below - my resolution was 1280x720 in those screenshots. That's gotta be it.

Edit #2: Maybe not! Here's 1920x1080:

2ut59pe.jpg

34gljtk.jpg

Maybe because I wrote 1280x720 in the cfg, so that's considered 100% resolution? I'll change it to 1920x1080 and see what happens.

Final Edit: I guess not. Same font consuming the entire colored area, everything the same size. Could be the 32" Sanyo TV I use as a monitor (HDMI).

2r23u45.jpg

If anyone here is a Linux user, the nouveau drivers don't handle this TV well, but the proprietary drivers work great (for a single GTX 660).

Edited by whiskeytango

Im having troubles finding any gear spawning, specially weapons and shoes. Every house seems to be completely empty no matter on the coast or inland. 

• Like 1

So nobody experienced the SICK status ? i hope it's not a bug... i thought it was the first iteration of the disease system.

I've been lurking a while, hello everyone.

Yeah, I experienced the sick status. I was out wandering around in the rain and my coat became ruined. Shortly thereafter, I became sick. I holed up inside a house and had a bite to eat, followed by a sip from the canteen. The sick status went away and did not return.

I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but I have been struggling with the cold. If I don't find an ax, matches, kindling, etc. in time, extreme blurred vision sets in and then I have no hope of finding matches, identify danger, or even keep track of my location as I stumble into fences and buildings. I haven't seen a heat pack yet, but they sure would come in handy!

Cheers!

Good question.

Edit: Aha! Like Yano pointed out in the post below - my resolution was 1280x720 in those screenshots. That's gotta be it.

Edit #2: Maybe not! Here's 1920x1080:

2ut59pe.jpg

34gljtk.jpg

Maybe because I wrote 1280x720 in the cfg, so that's considered 100% resolution? I'll change it to 1920x1080 and see what happens.

Final Edit: I guess not. Same font consuming the entire colored area, everything the same size. Could be the 32" Sanyo TV I use as a monitor (HDMI).

2r23u45.jpg

If anyone here is a Linux user, the nouveau drivers don't handle this TV well, but the proprietary drivers work great (for a single GTX 660).

You can adjust ui size in the options menu.*edit ui resolution is also changeable. :)

Edited by JackinatorLP
  • Like 2

It does not matter how many worms are in a trap, always is 4kg sardines, it takes about 1 minute. Who got matches and tomatoes ? :D

OALFRY.jpg

sA385z.jpg

• Like 5

Im having troubles finding any gear spawning, specially weapons and shoes. Every house seems to be completely empty no matter on the coast or inland. 

same for me last night. after being killed at pavlovo military base, i respawned near the island. i looted kamyshovo, tulga and staroy and barely found clothes and something like 3 sodas. i found 1 canned peach that i ruined with my ruined screwdriver (i didn't ksnow that ruined screwdrivers could destroy canned food...). so far, it's the first time i had to pick berrys to survive. after chemlights land, book and boots land, it seems that this xp is hammer land now as it is the only item i can find everywhere.

Yeah, I experienced the sick status. I was out wandering around in the rain and my coat became ruined. Shortly thereafter, I became sick. I holed up inside a house and had a bite to eat, followed by a sip from the canteen. The sick status went away and did not return.

I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but I have been struggling with the cold. If I don't find an ax, matches, kindling, etc. in time, extreme blurred vision sets in and then I have no hope of finding matches, identify danger, or even keep track of my location as I stumble into fences and buildings. I haven't seen a heat pack yet, but they sure would come in handy!

that skickness was no big deal for my girlfriend too. she took some antobiotics for RP (i don't think they have a function right now).

cold is certainly an issue if you don't have an axe and matches. if you don't have an axe, you can't make a fire and you are more likely to be hit by zombies, your clothes are more easily ruined and don't protect you from cold... . if it's not rainning, cold is not so problematic through.

anyway, low loot on experimental server are fun time too.

same for me last night. after being killed at pavlovo military base, i respawned near the island. i looted kamyshovo, tulga and staroy and barely found clothes and something like 3 sodas. i found 1 canned peach that i ruined with my ruined screwdriver (i didn't ksnow that ruined screwdrivers could destroy canned food...). so far, it's the first time i had to pick berrys to survive. after chemlights land, book and boots land, it seems that this xp is hammer land now as it is the only item i can find everywhere.

that skickness was no big deal for my girlfriend too. she took some antobiotics for RP (i don't think they have a function right now).

cold is certainly an issue if you don't have an axe and matches. if you don't have an axe, you can't make a fire and you are more likely to be hit by zombies, your clothes are more easily ruined and don't protect you from cold... . if it's not rainning, cold is not so problematic through.

anyway, low loot on experimental server are fun time too.

You can start a fire using only sticks now, so the axe is no longer needed to make a fire. Those matches can be tough to find though.

• Like 1

Server restarts are driving me a bit nuts! Would love to see a different time of day! 9:00 to 9:25 seems to be the only time to play! Would love to see a few experimental servers starting at different times, afternoon and evening/dusk.

Dawn & dusk are the beautiful to play at..

Edited by MadTommy
  • Like 1

You can adjust ui size in the options menu.*edit ui resolution is also changeable. :)

What he said. The UI can be changed rather drastically if you play around with all the settings in the menu :p I prefer it "zoomed out" just a bit more personally.

• Like 1

You can start a fire using only sticks now, so the axe is no longer needed to make a fire. Those matches can be tough to find though.

A machete could be used to harvest sticks in case you're in a city and the only green you see are brushes/small trees in gardens.

same for me last night. after being killed at pavlovo military base, i respawned near the island. i looted kamyshovo, tulga and staroy and barely found clothes and something like 3 sodas. i found 1 canned peach that i ruined with my ruined screwdriver (i didn't ksnow that ruined screwdrivers could destroy canned food...). so far, it's the first time i had to pick berrys to survive. after chemlights land, book and boots land, it seems that this xp is hammer land now as it is the only item i can find everywhere

Are you playing on DE thrid person servers by any chance? I've noted those servers have often large barren areas around players spawn zones: almost all coastal towns and the closest one or two inland towns nearby are often devoid of any kind of loot - even tool shacks/garages/barns that usually spawn nonsensical industrial loot in the thousands.

Anyway, if you play like many of us after 20.00 or 21.00 you'll often see towns and buildings picked clean. Too many players on too few servers...it seems first person servers, usually less populated, does not suffer of this problem. In my last playing sessions on UK/DE 1st person servers I was able to find dow jackets, good boots and several other useful items in a relatively short time.

Edited by DocWolf
  • Like 2

A machete could be used to harvest sticks in case you're in a city and the only green you see are brushes/small trees in gardens.

Are you playing on DE thrid person servers by any chance? I've noted those servers have often large barren areas around players spawn zones: almost all coastal towns and the closest one or two inland towns nearby are often devoid of any kind of loot - even tool shacks/garages/barns that usually spawn nonsensical industrial loot in the thousands.

Anyway, if you play like many of us after 20.00 or 21.00 you'll often see towns and buildings picked clean. Too many players on too few servers...it seems first person servers, usually less populated, does not suffer of this problem. In my last playing sessions on UK/DE 1st person servers I was able to find dow jackets, good boots and several other useful items in a relatively short time.

good to know that you can use machete to harvest sticks.

most of the time, i play UK servers on 1st person (UK 0-12, 0-18, 0-20). must be true that there is more loot left on thoses servers, but finding food on the coast is still difficult. nothing to eat in kamyshovo, and i looted every room of every houses. i only found pipsi and spite cans in tulga and staroy, usually "hidden" cans glitching in the floor or above furnitures.

i found 1 canned peach that i ruined with my ruined screwdriver (i didn't ksnow that ruined screwdrivers could destroy canned food...). 

I was starving, near death, found a can of beans.. was delighted, opened it with the only tool i had, a badly damaged sledge hammer, I spilt 98% leaving me 2% to live on! :)  It was a good touch of reality.

Edited by MadTommy
  • Like 8

I remember the first time food n loot stopped spawning , made it all the way from Svet to NWAF eating apples n berries , that was one long miserable walk.

good to know that you can use machete to harvest sticks.

Actually, you don't need any tools at all. It's now possible, as of 0.50 (not sure which build added it), to harvest sticks from the ground in wooded areas. Unless you're somewhere in the northwest where there can be large tree-less areas, you should have some usable ground nearby. All you do is walk into the woods (you'll be able to tell because the ground goes to dark brown, there are ferns, etc.), look at the ground, and use your mouse wheel to select the option to search for kindling. I think it goes without saying that this is insanely useful.

Since you can make a fireplace kit using only paper and a stick, and because books are so plentiful and provide all the paper you need, the challenge becomes finding matches. I haven't had too much trouble finding matches, but they're definitely not all over the place. This is where an alternative to matches needs to be developed ;)

Edited by Tatanko

I like how people are so scared they need 3rd person to play. They complained about FOV and that they would play if there was a FOV slider  :D  :D  :D  :D

1p servers are still pretty empty

• Like 5

I like how people are so scared they need 3rd person to play.

Let's not go picking any fights -- you are in the minority, after all. Never, ever make assumptions about people's choices.

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 6

yes, it's a shame... 15-20 peoples max on 50 places servers :( .

try 1st person servers guys, you won't regret it ! B)

and there are tons of loot on 1st person servers :D

I was starving, near death, found a can of beans.. was delighted, opened it with the only tool i had, a badly damaged sledge hammer, I spilt 98% leaving me 2% to live on! :)  It was a good touch of reality.

http://www.boston.com/life/house/2014/09/01/crushing-soup-cans-with-sledgehammer/vLw9XP2WXRyPFL81nhGFIN/video.html

totally what you did :D

Edited by Zboub le météor

I'm really sad about locked doors resetting after every server restart, I just wanna establish myself !! As soon as locks stay past restart I will be happy and won't need a vehicle or doggy companion for a while (if ever) cuz I got the perfect spot ... Secret of course .... Complete with 4 gardens, an upstairs level , 1 half bedroom and one outhouse :) also a lake nearby and a nice neighborhood surrounding . Maybe I'll start Dayz real estate ; selling protected properties for currency , I.e matches , fire axes , bullets, guns , food and water especially ... :) . Idea trademarked please ?

Edited by Grapefruit kush
  • Like 5

I'm really sad about locked doors resetting after every server restart, I just wanna establish myself !! As soon as locks stay past restart I will be happy and won't need a vehicle or doggy companion for a while (if ever) cuz I got the perfect spot ... Secret of course .... Complete with 4 gardens, an upstairs level , 1 half bedroom and one outhouse :) also a lake nearby and a nice neighborhood surrounding . Maybe I'll start Dayz real estate ; selling protected properties for currency , I.e matches , fire axes , bullets, guns , food and water especially ... :) . Idea trademarked please ?

I had the same thought of, you know, getting a nice house, locking it up... and then I thought "Why would I want to do that when the branch gets wiped 3 times a month, just so I can start all over again and again?

For stable it might be a good idea (once they have no more resets after restart for locked doors of course), but for exp. it doesn't really make all that much sense.

What might be problematic later is that it is way too easy to just keep the doors locked at all times and go server hopping from that base.

It's just as easy to find a locked door, change servers, go inside the targeted house you want to break into and go back to the server it is "locked" in. (Was that clear at all? LOL)

I'd much rather build my own base (underground of course  :D) than make it easy for server hoppers to just ghost into my pre-existing stash house from another sever.

Edited by Demonica

I like how people are so scared they need 3rd person to play. They complained about FOV and that they would play if there was a FOV slider  :D  :D  :D  :D

It's kinda silly since there is a FOV slider....

Played for a few hours yesterday. Didn't crash once in 3+ hours. Server restarts seem to be every 6 hours, so after about 40 ins, the server restarted, I went back in again and was good for the rest of my play session.

Even with the shoes getting damaged quite fast (already posted about this... :P  ) I had a great time.

Could test growing tomatoes, found multiple duck tape rolls and could mend my footwear quite often. At first I couldn't find much, but going inland made everything so much easier.

2e1yubr.jpg

• Like 8