Sign in to follow this  
soLch

Arma 2 and FPS, fix?

I'm on my phone so I don't have my exact pc specs but they aren't bad.

Gtx560 (non Ti)

8 gig ram

Intel i5 (forgot)

Windows 7 64

Basically my comp can run BF3 on all high very much playable.

I've looked at all the other arma 2 tweaks on various sites but nothing seems to work =[

Now if I'm alone in a field, sure it runs smooth and playable, once I come across towns, I can hardly aim. And it's not that easy to hit a zombie dodging towards me lol.

Any other help on how to fix the FPS drops =\

(please don't say anything like lower your settings, ive obviously tried that.)

Thanks.

ArmA 2 is just kind of that way when it comes to towns. You said you've tried lowering your settings, but I would recommend no higher than 3000 (possibly lower) on VD and turning Terrain Detail down to Normal if you haven't already. Those two settings seem to make the biggest difference for me in terms of FPS around large cities like Chernogorsk.

Turn post-processing off if you haven't already. The performance hit is enormous.

What are your current settings?

I Have everything set on normal and have average 33fps when running through woods or towns.

there is a tweaking thread on the BIS forums that mentions changing the launch options, they can help.

so i've been researching this for quite a while and basically what it comes down to is the arma 2 engine has all the clients running the ai simulations locally instead of just on the server. So in an area that has alot of spawned ai (zombies spawning in towns) you'll start to get extremely low framerates along with low gpu usage. When you move away from them it gets a bit better.

There's really not a whole lot you can do about this. Turning down settings will help a little, but essentially it's all down to the engine. Incidentally some people with older computer specs still get fairly high fps (so they claim) even in ai/actor heavy mods, not really sure how they accomplish that.

As it's permanent death, your aim and everything else is very important. Everything less than 60 FPS just isn't acceptable. I lowered all my graphics settings (aside from AF and resolution) to an absolute minimum. Game looks like shit, but you get used to it, and it isn't really a problem as other things are more important.

You should also defrag your ArmA HD.

But essentially, beyond a point the FPS is limited by your CPU (though what CPU can run the second ARMA benchmark at 60 fps?). One of my cores is maxed out at 100% when I play DayZ, not sure about the FPS though, but feels like 35-40. GPU might still bottleneck FPS if I look at trees from a close range.

SSD is said to improve texture load times greatly.

As it's permanent death' date=' your aim and everything else is very important. Everything less than 60 FPS just isn't acceptable. I lowered all my graphics settings (aside from AF and resolution) to an absolute minimum. Game looks like shit, but you get used to it, and it isn't really a problem as other things are more important.

You should also defrag your ArmA HD.

But essentially, beyond a point the FPS is limited by your CPU (though what CPU can run the second ARMA benchmark at 60 fps?). One of my cores is maxed out at 100% when I play DayZ, not sure about the FPS though, but feels like 35-40. GPU might still bottleneck FPS if I look at trees from a close range.

SSD is said to improve texture load times greatly.

[/quote']

I have ARMA 2 via STEAM, how do you defrag the arma 2 hard drive?

and what is SSD? sorry if thats dumb question.

ArmA2 is installed on your HD .

Find your Steam folder - defrag that HD.

SSD - Solid State Disk. They are much faster than normal mechanical HDs.

Moved to 'Troubleshooting' to try and get you some more helpful answers on this.

There isn't a whole lot you can do, Arma is one of the most taxing FPS games out there and it doesn't have a lot to do with bad optimisation, it's just that BF and most games can cheat here and there to get better render times, where arma cannot.

I'm experiencing the same issue with a similiar setup. I'm just wondering though, does basically everyone run at 30-45 fps? sometimes in cherno i can drop to 20fps and such. I mean is it just me or does it happen to just about everyone?

going from 10k view distance to 5k usually helps, but also driving in First Person solves it completely?

going from 10k view distance to 5k usually helps' date=' but also driving in First Person solves it completely?

[/quote']

my fps has been fairly stable, the odd dip here and there and I haven't changed any settings. One stand out thing is my FPS improves dramatically when i play in 3rd person :huh:

going from 10k view distance to 5k usually helps' date=' but also driving in First Person solves it completely?

[/quote']

my fps has been fairly stable, the odd dip here and there and I haven't changed any settings. One stand out thing is my FPS improves dramatically when i play in 3rd person :huh:

QFT^

Same thing happens to me. Doesn't make any sense though. And how come I'll see videos of people RECORDING WITH FRAPS and high graphics running smoothly with worse rigs then me?