SmashT

August Round-up: DevBlog, #DayZDaily, Gamescom

Hm but did they not show a video some months ago with the new zombie pathfinding? I remember seeing a dev version with the pathfinding indicators on screen and if i recall correctly Dean talked about the progress and how zombies could now run inside because of the new pathfinding.

I mean its good to hear the progress but after seeing the above + devblogs where they did motion capturing for the new zombies and seeing the new zombie animations in game... to hear that they are 0% done is a little bit strange to me.

• Like 1

Good post, Smasht.

Hm but did they not show a video some months ago with the new zombie pathfinding? I remember seeing a dev version with the pathfinding indicators on screen and if i recall correctly Dean talked about the progress and how zombies could now run inside because of the new pathfinding.

I mean its good to hear the progress but after seeing the above + devblogs where they did motion capturing for the new zombies and seeing the new zombie animations in game... to hear that they are 0% done is a little bit strange to me.

Good point.

5% done then?

Nothing really new.

Hmmm...just by actually reading the post you can learn about...

"Been working on player unarmed melee"

"Use of medical items and writing labels on items with a pen"

"Different restraints (cuffs, zipties, ropes) take different times"

"blood collection and basic melee!"

Don't know what post you were reading.

• Like 5

to hear that they are 0% done is a little bit strange to me.

I assume he meant it figuratively rather than literally 0%.

• Like 1

You get more news on Reddit these days, at least Rocket replies to threads there. It'smy go to site for Dayz news these days. :)

• Like 2

You get more news on Reddit these days, at least Rocket replies to threads there. It'smy go to site for Dayz news these days. :)

It's probably been like that for about a year tbh.  Nothing new there really.

At least with the DayZ Daily tweets we can all just keep up with the new stuff.  It sounds like it's their new approach and I like it.  I much prefer these little but frequent nuggets of info over a larger blog.

• Like 8

Thank god they've not worked on the zombies at all, If they had i would have been severely disappointed.

They have already worked quite a bit on the zombies pathfinding. They do not zig zag anymore, and can now attack while moving. BUT nothing is final and they are working hard on a new pathfinding system to make them feel a lot more natural. Also animations and such are subject to change during alpha/beta states. Remember it's pre-alpha, everything you see is either placeholder or in very early stages of development.

BTW the new forests look so amazing, is there a higher resolution version of the screen somewhere?

Edited by Bat

I love this!

And that Chernarus screenshot got some Arma 3 lighting vibe so I'm very excited how the lighting in DayZ will be because it alone makes the Arma 3 look so wonderful.

Wake me when it's released until then I'll play Civ and Payday 2.

You won't miss the release, you can't because there will be so much videos etc of it, and me driving a car and throwing out tons of DayZ SA flyers

Edited by BaconTrooper
  • Like 1

ehh ehh ehhhhhhhhhh

YOU THE MAN SMASH'T! thanks!

btw:

Nighttime now, I'm working on the "modifier" system I scoped to handle "buffs and debuffs" like illness, disease, and injury.

https://twitter.com/rocket2guns/status/365573958575202304

Edited by joe_mcentire

Zombies are not 50% done - they are 0% done - music to my ears.

well i am somehow in a schroedinger's cat - position about that right now :/

i am going to give it a shot: Rocket 

stealth and teamplay tactics are possible and highly rewarded

will there be certain stealth or teamplay techniques or animations?!

Edited by joe_mcentire

He was talking about Payday 2  :lol:

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

i even rechecked...didn't even notice then ;)

anyway....question seems to be legit! focus on melee would mean focus on stealth as well....

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

Covering up the mistakes.. They're humans, so what do you expect? We're all humans--except me.

Zombies still looked bad in the devblog, why are they still zig-zagging?

zombies have not been worked on by programmers. hence, why they were not showcased in this devblog.

zombies are not 50% done, they are 0% done.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1jly74/dean_how_complete_are_zombies/cbg0uye

Makes you wonder if working on things like Radios, Ability to write on Bottles ( ohh dear ) , and many other things I could mention, actually stop the Zombies being worked on.

One would logically suggest no, but who knows ? Zombies 0% in a Zombie Survival Game , but hey we can listen to some fck tard on a Radio Station. 

Thinking out aloud maybe he's saying 0% implemented in what is currently being tested and shown, but could be say 80% done but not available for testing, ie Skins, Sounds, Animations etc completed waiting on Tracking

• Like 2

Makes you wonder if working on things like Radios, Ability to write on Bottles ( ohh dear ) , and many other things I could mention, actually stop the Zombies being worked on.

One would logically suggest no, but who knows ? Zombies 0% in a Zombie Survival Game , but hey we can listen to some fck tard on a Radio Station. 

Thinking out aloud maybe he's saying 0% implemented in what is currently being tested and shown, but could be say 80% done but not available for testing, ie Skins, Sounds, Animations etc completed waiting on Tracking

I think you're taking a reasonable stance on this. I, for one, am totally lost as to how something that seemed weeks away I now feel is months away. I've adamantly argued for people to be patient and I've relentlessly supported the team having no release date... but like back at E3 or wherever it was it was almost laughable for Rocket to think the game would take more than two months before an alpha could be released. The vibe I'm getting now is it could take much longer. Release went from imminent- just have to get rid of some game breaking bugs- to game release completely unknown because we always have new game breaking bugs that make the game unplayable. 

Someone please correct me and clarify the current state of development. The devblog just confused me as to how such a big step back has taken place. I'll always be able to patiently wait for release but now I feel there isn't even a window for release, even a big one (and the window of possibility has always been big!). 

EDIT: And I also would like to add that I'm also completely lost as to how we got a video of new zombie tracking back in March and how much better it was already, to zombies are 0% complete.

Edited by AnarchyBrownies
  • Like 1

That was pretty much what came to my mind, too and what i wanted to point out in my previous post. There WAS progress made on the zombies and we could see it in previous devblogs. But if people did not see it and only read the latest news (e.g. in germany some of his reddit posts are often presented as news on one of the biggest gaming news sites!) that there was zero progress on zombies in a zombie game but motorcycle helmets and trolling radios are in the game, this is bad PR!

In my eyes they should really think about hiring a PR person, they dont need a fulltime jobber just a freelancer who communicates with the devs, keeps track of the progress and puts out some information in a professional manner. In my opinion rockets attempt to be 100% honest is absolutely honarable and he deserves props for doing so but the majority of people wont read all of his information bits but only some. And if you dont get the full view of someone being 100% honest you can get a hell of a wrong impression. Thats why some people still dont understand that there never was a release date last year for THIS version of the standalone we will get now.

So in an information bit like this a PR person would emphasis on the progress they made while saying that there would still be a lot of work to do. Which is even truer than Rockets statement but would not have the potential to upset people. And lets be real here, people like me are still defending the standalone and telling people to be patient, but the perception outside of this hardcore fanbase is getting worse and worse. Please dont pretend thats wrong or that its absolutely enough if only the hardcore fanbase will buy the game. People are putting hard work in the standalone and they should be rewarded. But there is a problem that has to be dealt with and in my eyes thats pr related.

Edited by okami
  • Like 2