1.7.* Infection WIP Update

Absolutely love this!

:beans:

Cannot wait until this is live!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I'ma play the shit outta 1.7.7

I am a very happy camper with this!! :D :D

Edited by methr1k2dop3

Can we drink the alcohol instead?

I second this, getting wasted sounds much better.

• Like 2

My old Grandad did used to say drinking Scotch cures all illnesses. He drank like a fish, smoked like a chimney and still lived to 81.

• Like 7

That's great work, Thanks for the dedication to the mod :)

Awesome.

One other thing i'd personally like to see if a way to "fight off" the infection without anti-boidics. Anti-boidics only help your body fight an infection IRL right?

Well, what if it just did 200% of your blood in damage and then the infection is "fought off"? If you keep yourself well fed/rested etc it should go away on its own...

Yes no maybe? >.>

• Like 1

Awesome.

One other thing i'd personally like to see if a way to "fight off" the infection without anti-boidics. Anti-boidics only help your body fight an infection IRL right?

Well, what if it just did 200% of your blood in damage and then the infection is "fought off"? If you keep yourself well fed/rested etc it should go away on its own...

Yes no maybe? >.>

How about giving heatpacks a use? when a person gets a viral or bacterial infection in real life the first thing medical professionals advise is to rest, keep warm and drink plenty of fluids.

Boiled water and heatpacks combined with a rest at a tent could slow down the blood loss or even stop it temporarily.

Not suggesting that this should cure infections, maybe just slow down the effects a bit buying the player a bit of time to search for meds.

edit - this idea fleshed out http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/140593-realistic-infection-management/

Edited by (MUC) Feral
  • Like 2

If you could remove this post it would be appreciated.

I pretty much resaid everything in this post in a more detailed way later on.

Edited by Tehmedic101
  • Like 1

What's the eta on this patch.

Yes the zeds are a lot harder now which is great but the infection rate coupled with the change in the infection mechanic ie.once infected your a dead man unless you can find some precious antobiotics is making survival near on impossible unless you hide in the woods.

This will give them medics something fun to mess with!

Roll out the quick response units with the alcohol :D

You should be fixing the zed aggro radius first.. People that run trough everything should be punished, not those who take their time sneaking. Especially if I have wasted my time crawling over roads and crouch-walking on anything else expect grass, it's frustrating when a zombie spots you from 60 meters when you were crouch-running.

And when I say crouch-running on anything else expect grass, I mean that grass is the only surface that is good for sneaking. Especially the eyesight of the zeds should be all the same if you are crouching or standing. The only exception would be when you're prone, because then the grass actually covers you.

And the hearing is even more frustrating, because that's what causing the problems. Grass is the only surface that you can run on. If you run on gravel or concrete, every zombie in 50 meters will somehow hear that.

This pretty much forces me to run trough everything at the moment.

• Like 5

Sounds interesting, I do agree with Sutinen that the zeds should be fixed as they are important in this game; I mean them going through walls. Not that they can leap or something.

• Like 1

Very interesting. I can't wait to try out these new mechanics.

As for the infection lasting forever, I think they're trying to fix it.

Besides, it's a virulent plague that turns people into the walking dead, or near enough. That is a nasty bug!

bring alcohol and pubs in electro. then after several pints we can go on streets and behave badly.

Sounds interesting, I do agree with Sutinen that the zeds should be fixed as they are important in this game; I mean them going through walls. Not that they can leap or something.

Moving tho walls isn't a bug we can fix.

Zeds Agro is fine i'm able to walk up right behind the zed without being attacked many others have also mentioned this.

The topic is about infection move back to the topic or move on.

Thanks

• Like 1

I dont like this. stealth system is broke. crouched and walking and getting spotted from 100meters. survival for me went from 2 days to about an hour if im lucky to not be infected for that long. and thats from playing a server that gives you a handgun. i dont wanna see how hard it is without a starter pistol. this is madness. Shared the only antibiotic i had to help someone and got my self infected and died... no medical supplies at hosptial. I understand its an apocolapse but theres a fine line between realistic and playing a game. I wanna have fun not freaking out because theres not a drop of hope anymore. keep running out of pistol ammo forcing me to use my primary, and getting killed bc each one i kill is replaced with 3. they removed the fun experience of looting bc now these zombies are spawning in houses and i would be a freshy and not find a gun yet to deal with this threat. dont get me started on trying to kill a viral in the open with a weapon.

• Like 5

I'm a big fan of the finite blood damage and/or time idea for infection, rather than the inevitable fatality from a certain death timer and poorly manipulated loot tables. I have no problem with infection and think that the main problem with it in 1.7.6.1 was being unlikely to happen.

Infection never needed to mean certain death, just carry a risk that if no action is taken to stall or treat it, aggregate blood loss will result in death. This at least gives players some glimmer of hope and incentive to play on, in the knowledge that if they put the effort in they may survive the ravages of sickness.

There is still a definite penalty for getting infected, in that the player is in a weakened state for the duration, risk of death from injury is increased with less blood and there is the possibility of death if sufficient resources aren't scavenged.

One of the primary feedback points I have from observing other players in 1.7.7 is that many simply give up when infected, rather than face, yet again, hunting the unbelievable randomness of loot spawns for antibiotics.

I was lucky ... finding 2 packs of antibiotics ... in a barn near Gorka ... along with tons of pistol ammo. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. That however is another issue. which needs addressing.

So hurrah for suspension of the death sentence for infected players, though some of them will still end up toes up and rightly so.

Edited by RN_Max
  • Like 2

Perhaps the infection mechanic can stay as it is, antibiotics can be rare like they are now, and there can be a treatment to slow or delay death. I think the instant infection is crucial to create fear in the players. If there is a way to avoid it then people will go back to not being VERY scared of zeds. The instant infection does more to create fear of zeds than anything else. Maybe there can be tubes of topical cremes to "treat" the infection. Maybe a treatment can be relatively easy to come by but a cure can stay rare.

In the end I think there being IMMEDIATE consequences to waltzing with zeds is very important to generating the fear this game should.

Just add perhaps a range of treatment options but keep the cure a rare bird.

• Like 4

Here are some examples on what I think could be done to improve the authenticity of the infection.

If you would like to see why I came up with these conclusions please view my thread here.

http://dayzmod.com/f...edback-for-177/

Some of the reasoning behind it involves

* Player Interaction

* New Players

* Authenticity

* Realism

Please don't allow this to derail the thread, and keep the comments on here though.

Possible Solutions

* You could possibly limit when the blood stops going down, or you could give survivors a chance to fight off the infection.

* You could add a timer as to when an infection goes away, or you could make it random when an infection goes away.

* To be infected the zombies must break skin. Ie. more likely to become infected when bleeding.

* Increased chance to become infected when knocked out, due to zombies biting instead of smacking you.

Edited by Tehmedic101
  • Like 1

I don't understand why infection is killing, or lasting forever.

Specifically lasting forever.

You should also implement a timer on the infection, and after a certain amount of time it will go away. Or give it a chance to go away, that way some people will die, and others will survive.

The body is pretty damn good at fighting off infections, most of the time you don't even need antibiotics.

And someone that is as healthy as the people in arma, that can run 400 miles without getting tired, should have no problem.

you can't play on the new patch every time getting infected and dies,zombies hits you behind the walls

I applaud this effort.

I don't see the infection or high risk as the real problem. It's the imminent death that usually follows.

A way to stay alive yet still in pretty bad shape until a real treatment/antibiotics can be obtained would be a major improvemet as long is it was semi easy to find.