TheMachine

Why DayZ will fail as a standalone game

The people that play DayZ are patient, we're willing to wait for servers to load, we learn to live with bugs and we accept the fact that we're going to die sooner rather than later.

But, the general COD, counter strike crowd are NOT patient and that, along with some other stuff is why DayZ will fail.

1. No one is going to spend 2-3 minutes loading into servers, which judging by the length of time the mod has been out and the fact this still hasn't been fixed will be a problem in the SA too.

2. I don't believe people will continue to play DayZ long after they buy it, because they'll rage quit.

3. Rocket doesn't seem to really understand what players actually want. Remember how he'd spent weeks working on irrelevant features no one asked for or really wanted (dogs) and how he refused to remove certain textures even though they were turning the map into a surrealistic modern art piece with the artefacts?

Refusing to remove high powered sniper rifles despite the hacking and duping?

Yeah, that's Rocket, as good and as novel as DayZ is, he just doesn't fully 'get' his own creation.

I mean for crying out loud, they're doing Motion Capture for zombie movement when they should be looking into a system that lets people build structures.

4. They've missed their window, simple as that.

Had they released DayZ 6 months ago when the buzz was at it's height then we might have had a winner on our hands.

Unfortunately the project has lost focus, time and direction.

Hell, Rocket just went off for a two month holiday when he's the lead developer of a game, incredibly irresponsible on his part and a big fuck you to the people who're waiting for the game.

In any other industry that'd get you fired.

I want to see DayZ succeed, but I just don't think it can anymore.

The silver lining is that the mod is going in fantastic new directions with all the different forks of the original people are making.

Edited by TheMachine
  • Like 7

I am pissed off that the devs said it would be out in December last year, and then in April, then 'Oh, sorry, we've had trouble climbing Everest and making statements that aren't true, the SA will be out mid-year.' What the bet it'll be out in August?

Otherwise, if something is too hard or just shit, I'm sure they'll fix it.

And the 'CoD crowd' as you call it, can wait for the server to load, although I doubt anyone is that stupid.

But, like everyone seems to be saying, your argument is invalid, its just fucking stupid.

Edited by dulix11
  • Like 3

Well I see you won't be a member of this community for too much longer, I bid ye farewell.

Edited by burritoman259
  • Like 13

There is almost no situations when you can say something WILL happen. There can be reasons why there is a probability of something happening or why you believe it would happen. But this is one of the many things that noone can know exactly what will happen. While we are taking guesses i will guess that the Standalone will be a major success.

Respect for your profile image btw. Loved Dungeon Keeper

Edited by Noszombie

You do know that 1 million sales will get about $15 million dollars at release, right? And that the DZ fans don't want the CS or COD crowd? COD can keep making its shit games, for as long as it wants, and CS can keep holding its tournaments, but DZ will make an utter bloodbath in memorabilia. The DEVs aren't in it for money; if they were, the game wouldn't be held off. Rocket and his crew are *finally* the company that wants quality, and the best possible game that can be made.

I very politely suggest you go fuck yourself, sir; you don't understand economics that well, do you?

• Like 14

I am pissed off that the devs said it would be out in December last year, and then in April, then 'Oh, sorry, we've had trouble climbing Everest and making statements that aren't true, the SA will be out mid-year.' What the bet it'll be out in August?

The only date that the ever said they will release by is the december one? I never heard mention of the April one anywhere on these forums. Also Everest was planned for ages and costs nearly $100,000 to cancel. Also the most recent one is "will enter official review in June, with plans for a widespread alpha sometime after then" which does not say they will release mid-year.

Edited by Noszombie
  • Like 1

This is all a bit subjective isn't it? What you deem a failure others would consider a success. The mod is hugely successful, way more then anyone ever expected even though it's full of bugs, long load times, hackers etc. The game isn't being designed for the COD and CS crowds, it's being designed for people that want a specific experience. They are making the game they want, if they wanted to appeal to the wider market they would be making a very different game.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 5

Rocket doesn't seem to really understand what players actually want. Remember how he'd spent weeks working on irrelevant features no one asked for or really wanted.

Yeah, that's Rocket, as good and as novel as DayZ is, he just doesn't fully 'get' his own creation.

I mean for crying out loud, they're doing Motion Capture for zombie movement when they should be looking into a system that lets people build structures.

Seems to me he is one of the few that actually gets it. He has his vision, and he is making a game how he wants it to be. Not many get that kind of creative freedom. This is a good thing. If he would start making the game to please "us" it will fail, miserably. I like how you use terms like "general COD crowd" and then tries to make a point out of how rocket should start pleasing the crowd.

Had they released DayZ 6 months ago when the buzz was at it's height then we might have had a winner on our hands.

Unfortunately the project has lost focus, time and direction.

Quite the opposite I would say. Had they released it six months ago to cash in on the buzz we would have a half finished, glitchy and broken game released with the sole purpose of cashing in on the zombie hype. Any spider senses tingling?

Hell, Rocket just went off for a two month holiday when he's the lead developer of a game, incredibly irresponsible on his part and a big fuck you to the people who're waiting for the game.

In any other industry that'd get you fired.

Hardly a "vacation". A life dream fulfilled more like. And I seem to remember him mentioning everest even before there was any talk of a standalone and also how he got it in his contract to be able to leave for Everest. Give the guy a break, there is still a whole team working on the game.

• Like 9

The only date that the ever said they will release by is the december one? I never heard mention of the April one anywhere on these forums. Also Everest was planned for ages and costs nearly $100,000 to cancel. Also the most recent one is "will enter official review in June, with plans for a widespread alpha sometime after then" which does not say they will release mid-year.

OK, I don't want to get into a bad situation here, but I have seen internet pages saying 'DayZ SA out before April' and things like that, so Idunno, I was misinformed.

Apologies.

1. Cherno is huge. It is going to take a minute at least to load in. Also if you are really too impatient to wait 1-2 minutes then games shouldn't be for you.

2. Doesn't matter. If they buy then rocket has their money anyway. Also, dark souls. People will not perma rage quit games.

3. Its a free alpha mod. Rocket did fix a lot of things. Currently however he is just testing things out in the mod. Seeing what will work good in standalone.

4. ....No they haven't. You have no proof and from what I have seen on these forums and in the mod is that people are very eager for standalone.

5. I SMELL THE GRAVEYARD!

Edited by harley001

OK, I don't want to get into a bad situation here, but I have seen internet pages saying 'DayZ SA out before April' and things like that, so Idunno, I was misinformed.

Apologies.

That's alright. Its always good to check your sources. :)

I like the way mature discussions develop here, one write something and he gets an avalanche of "fuck-off", "go fuck yourself","go play COD" and pictures of Picard facepalming ... It must be one of the reasons why there are hardly new threads.

While I disagree with the conclusions ("SA will fail") there is more than some truth in what he wrote.

The window IS slipping away.

The dayz development is basically dwingling to an halt in terms of new features: a lot of tinkering with loot tables and Z thresholds ranges, which is nice, some bug fixing, good as well, but no real new things (we get the options to combining magazines, nice of course, but it is rather minor).

At the same time, SA is moving at its own peace and I hope it will be good, but so far it has yet to be seen and despite the devblog from Everest base camp (cool of course! Lots of hype andso on) I haven't found anywhere concrete details and/or screenshots of what the SA will bring *on top of dayz*: there is a new inventory system and UI, better textures, quick slots (fine, but those exists in games since stone age), but what about gameplay, which is the real core? How Z will behave? How the loot will work? How skills will work? How weapons and ammo will be available? Those factors are critical to make a good game in the eyes of players who are coming from dayz and like it despite its limitations.

I find this lack of concrete info more than a bit worrying.

Now, don't get me wrong: if the SA will not be purchased by hordes of players it is something very, very positive, better have a few good players willing to play a survival game with an hatchet then zillions of people going KoS and screaming to get a full load of ammo and AS-50 and rangefinder and NVG on start-up.

_Anubis_

• Like 8

Congratulaitons sir, You have provided ne of the most explained complaints on this forum.

To be honest I agree with some of the things you said such as the release date. But what you have to remember that Dayz does not have the Dev team lke EA or Bungie. The wait will be long but hopefully worth it. Secondly I do not believe the window has passed. Summer will see a frenzy with MS and Sony releasing their new consoles and games and stuff meaning that video games will be in the spotlight. Dayz received a lot of press as a mod. Imagine the SA.

At the end of the day it's all about opinion. You could be right, maybe the game will fail and I shall be wrong, or maybe it will be a huge sucess. Aslong as you are willing to put your hands up and admit you are wrong at the end of the day I will think no more or less of you :)

I like the way mature discussions develop here, one write something and he gets an avalanche of "fuck-off", "go fuck yourself","go play COD" and pictures of Picard facepalming ... It must be one of the reasons why there are hardly new threads.

While I disagree with the conclusions ("SA will fail") there is more than some truth in what he wrote.

The window IS slipping away.

The dayz development is basically dwingling to an halt in terms of new features: a lot of tinkering with loot tables and Z thresholds ranges, which is nice, some bug fixing, good as well, but no real new things (we get the options to combining magazines, nice of course, but it is rather minor).

At the same time, SA is moving at its own peace and I hope it will be good, but so far it has yet to be seen and despite the devblog from Everest base camp (cool of course! Lots of hype andso on) I haven't found anywhere concrete details and/or screenshots of what the SA will bring *on top of dayz*: there is a new inventory system and UI, better textures, quick slots (fine, but those exists in games since stone age), but what about gameplay, which is the real core? How Z will behave? How the loot will work? How skills will work? How weapons and ammo will be available? Those factors are critical to make a good game in the eyes of players who are coming from dayz and like it despite its limitations.

I find this lack of concrete info more than a bit worrying.

Now, don't get me wrong: if the SA will not be purchased by hordes of players it is something very, very positive, better have a few good players willing to play a survival game with an hatchet then zillions of people going KoS and screaming to get a full load of ammo and AS-50 and rangefinder and NVG on start-up.

_Anubis_

This is a great post.

It seems no one is making light of the fact there hasn't really been any 'amazing' features announced, I seen a swamp near kamenka and like you mentioned, new skins and inventory system.

But that's it?

The ONLY new 'feature', if you can call it that, from the latest dev blog is the 'radio transmissions', now you can talk to other players on radios.

Well holy shit, I can talk to my friends on TS anyway.

It does NOT talk a year to make a new inventory system, tweek a map and make some new skins.

So you've got to wonder, what exactly are they doing that'll actually bring something to the experience?

Edited by TheMachine

This is a great post.

It seems no one is making light of the fact there hasn't really been any 'amazing' features announced, I seen a swamp near kamenka and like you mentioned, new skins and inventory system.

But that's it?

The ONLY new 'feature', if you can call it that, from the latest dev blog is the 'radio transmissions', now you can talk to other players on radios.

Well holy shit, I can talk to my friends on TS anyway.

It does NOT talk a year to make a new inventory system, tweek a map and make some new skins.

So you've got to wonder, what exactly are they doing that'll actually bring something to the experience?

If it is that easy to modify a game engine like how they are doing i don't see why you haven't done it?

Also from what i know they have not been working on the standalone for a year.

Although you are right there will not be a huge difference in the standalone initially aside from better spawns, more clothing and a lot more enter-able buildings. But they never claimed there would be, nor is that what they are focusing on initially.

If you think that is not enough for you to buy the game. That is your choice. Although i doubt everyone would agree with you. :)

Edited by Noszombie

Well, for one thing, they said they wanted to get it out in december or early 2013, however it would be "ready when it is ready and not released before."

Also, have you thought maybe they want to keep some things secret for shock value later down the road?

Also, @Anubis, if you think these forums are bad have you seen the WoW forums? The Devs don't even post there anymore because of that community, its all CM's that have to go back and forth, who mostly only post in the "Hug a Worgen" threads.

Also, this isn't "what the community wants" this is "what Rocket wants". The game isn't being made for us, it is being made because they want to make it, they want to do something they enjoy making something that will be fun for them. This is their vision, not ours.

They are remaking parts of the map, I believe they are making every building enterable, they are working on hiding the loot to make it actually more of a search instead of a go inside look at the one spawn in the corner then move on. If they could fix the duping and hacking of the sniper rifles, they would be fine. Which, they are working on, by moving everything to the standalone servers instead of having it client based which lets you modify the scripts or whatever. I wouldn't know.

And lets look at another Zombie game that released way too early trying to cash in on the zombie hype and the success that was DayZ.

WarZ anyone? That is what happens when you release a game trying to cash in. This is not trying to cash in, it was never meant to cash in, it was something Rocket thought would be fun and a few million players thought it was amazing and decided to play and support it.

It is Rockets vision, not ours, and it will be ready when it is ready.

Edit:: They may also be withholding information because it is too early to tell if they will be able to add it in or if it will get canned.

Edited by Saben
  • Like 1

I dont know, i can't look in the further, and so can you. I dont really understand these posts..

But, the general COD, counter strike crowd are NOT patient and that, along with some other stuff is why DayZ will fail.

Why should DayZ cater to that crowd?

1. No one is going to spend 2-3 minutes loading into servers, which judging by the length of time the mod has been out and the fact this still hasn't been fixed will be a problem in the SA too.

Dean no longer works on the mod. Also, every server I've played on lately has had fast loading times.

2. I don't believe people will continue to play DayZ long after they buy it, because they'll rage quit.

Why will they rage quit?

That's a matter of perspective. Just because you think structure building for DayZ is good, doesn't mean it is good.

Had they released DayZ 6 months ago, it would have been a buggy game.

Refusing to remove high powered sniper rifles despite the hacking and duping?

Could you elaborate upon that please?

--

As Smasht said... "What you deem a failure others would consider a success."

EDIT: If someone is so impatient that they cannot wait 1-3 minutes, they aren't fit to play the game.

Edited by Inception.
  • Like 9

I wouldn`t say that DayZ SA will fail, but although I will buy standalone I stick with the mod as long as possible.

I suppose the mod being more flexible and more customized as the SA will ever be.

You want more exciting food? So patch 1.7.5.1.

You don`t want to be hit by Zombies while driving by them with warp Speed? Then patch 1.7.4.4.

You want to rule with L85A2 AWS? Then patch before 1.7.4.4.

I mean, we are rather fastidious and what if some parts of SA don

I dont know what ever happen to my posts, they get cut off, so here s the rest:

What if some parts of SA dont fit to us? Tell Rocket to fix within few days?

I hope this will work in future.

Believe me, I`m keen on playing SA but still see advantages the mod has

Edited by Inception.

I have seen that avatar before White Russian, tell me do you play Warhammer?

Saben,

I do hope the SA will be full of new features (if you have a look at the suggestions forum there are tons of good ideas) but this lack of details on the game core and focus on little things makes me think rather the opposite and to be brutally honest, if SA means "Still Alpha" I will stick to dayz and its variations for a little longer.

_Anubis_

Edited by _Anubis_

I have seen that avatar before White Russian, tell me do you play Warhammer?

No, I didn`t, seems like anyone had the same idea.

I played DAOC for about 8 years since alpha, but used another profile name.

Some people fail to realise that the DayZ mod is played by people exactly because it isn't BF or CoD.

As far as the SA goes, the Devs decided they couldn't release it at the previously mentioned dates because they didn't think it was good enough. 99% of games are developed and released without the constant dialogue between Devs and potential customers that we've seen for the SA.

Judging by the amount of sand people get in their vaginas over every little detail or hint of a detail mentioned by the Devs that doesn't fit with what they think the SA should be; I'm surprised that Devs put themselves in the firing line of such whining and wailing.

Must be because they're enormous fans of the mod and want to make the SA something special.

• Like 2

Yeah, this game MUST be tailored to people who can't sit still for 3 minutes and want to deathmatch in Elektro. Otherwise it'll totally fail yo. I personally play on a server for multiple hours once I join but that first three minutes really really pisses me off. I mean, fuck that's like 2.5% of my playtime wasted!!! I could have spent that running in the woods to meet up with my pals! That brings me to another point, wtf?!? Why can't I just spawn on my pals? That would make the game super fun for us and it would leave so much time for activities like shooting noobspawns on the coast or server hopping the NWAF.

They missed the boat big time. If only they had charged us give to ten bucks for the mod. We would totally be having fun right now. It would be just like the mod, but slightly better. So much win!! But no, Rocket had to try to make something "better". LOL @ custom weapons, clothing that impacts your inventory, health risks, smarter zombies, an improved map and animations. What the fuck was that guy thinking? Now he's out climbing a rock somewhere wasting our time. OMFG! If god wanted us to climb mountains he would have made them smaller.

Rocket totally failed by not releasing a slightly polished mod back before WarZ completely destroyed DayZ. Lol at rocket!

Artifacting, wasn't that an issue with the model, not the texture?

• Like 8