florian.de.los.santos@googlemail.com

[SA] Usable Indoor Fireplaces

and would you mind telling me what building in chernarus has a chimney?

It's a good idea, but picture the scene..

You/your group are warm by your fire cookin some cow steaks. The glow of this fire shines through the windows and obvious smoke billowing from the chimney alerts a nearby raghead (bandit).. fuck the rest of the story, but you know what happens next.. right?

It be the famous "You Are Dead" screen.

You/your group are warm by your fire cookin some cow steaks. The glow of this fire shines through the windows and obvious smoke billowing from the chimney alerts a nearby raghead (bandit).. fuck the rest of the story, but you know what happens next.. right?

and the Problem is...?

• Like 12

THAT risk makes the steaks taste even better!

• Like 18

How many houses are we talking about here?

I'm not sure if the DayZ engine supports fire places inside houses, since if the fireplaces you are suggesting are just the usual DayZ fireplaces with just different visual models, the fireplaces are going to produce smoke. The smoke might just float through the building walls if the engine doesn't support 'smoke collision', which would look kinda silly.

Not a bad suggestion at all, and relates to a subject I'm interested in, which is player management of existing buildings as an option to player bases, but I am concerned about performance issues. I'm always concerned with performance issues :)

Edited by TheSodesa
  • Like 1

You mean like this?

sVLtB5g.jpg

Or this?

SdgLLjf.jpg

Edited by zhrooms
  • Like 6

How many houses are we talking about there?

I'm not sure if the DayZ engine supports fire places inside houses, since if the fireplaces you are suggesting are just the usual DayZ fireplaces with just different visual models, the fireplaces are going to produce smoke. The smoke might just float through the building walls if the engine doesn't support 'smoke collision', which would look kinda silly.

Not a bad suggestion at all, and relates to a subject I'm interested in, which is player management of existing buildings as an option to player bases, but I am concerned about performance issues. I'm always concerned with performance issues :)

I see your point, but since they claimed everything will be build from the ground up I assume they could find a way to implement it properly. I'd be fine though if they would only add it to some certain kinds of houses.

EDIT: Sorry for double post.

Edited by Santosh

and would you mind telling me what building in chernarus has a chimney?

lol at YOU SIR...

How many houses are we talking about there?

Do you even play this game ? that makes no sense at all.. taking risks is half the game.. thats like saying lets not play dayz cause we could be killed by players instead of zombies ?

anyways, I think its an excellent idea and I think about it often myself... it defs should be considered in my opinion.. I even think it would be awesome if the weather affected the interior temperature of house in sever cold circumstances. If windows were smashed (depending on how many of course) the house should need a fireplace to warm it up and if not, provided most of the windows are smashed, it should only provide a small bonus towards warmth(as in you get cold/sick alot faster but its still better than being outside)

lol at YOU SIR...

Lol i never noticed any chimneys before...man i must be blind.

lol at YOU SIR...

Do you even play this game ? that makes no sense at all.. taking risks is half the game.. thats like saying lets not play dayz cause we could be killed by players instead of zombies ?

anyways, I think its an excellent idea and I think about it often myself... it defs should be considered in my opinion.. I even think it would be awesome if the weather affected the interior temperature of house in sever cold circumstances. If windows were smashed (depending on how many of course) the house should need a fireplace to warm it up and if not, provided most of the windows are smashed, it should only provide a small bonus towards warmth(as in you get cold/sick alot faster but its still better than being outside)

You misunderstood me.

I'm perfectly fine with being ambushed by bandits because of my own stupidity/need to build a fireplace to warm myself up. I was specifically addressing the engine limitations regarding smoke collision, since it is a fairly new piece of technology and not yet used in many games. I think the first game that ever used it was one of the Ghost Recon games that was released a few years ago, but I forget which one.

EDIT: If I remember correctly, when building a fireplace in the DayZ mod in the woods, the smoke from the fire just floats through trees.

EDIT: Looks like the smoke from smoke grenades does exactly what I feared:

Edited by TheSodesa

You misunderstood me.

I'm perfectly fine with being ambushed by bandits because of my own stupidity/need to build a fireplace to warm myself up. I was specifically addressing the engine limitations regarding smoke collision, since it is a fairly new piece of technology and not yet used in many games. I think the first game that ever used it was one of the Ghost Recon games that was released a few years ago, but I forget which one.

EDIT: If I remember correctly, when building a fireplace in the DayZ mod in the woods the smoke from the fire just floats through trees.

EDIT: Looks like the smoke from smoke grenades does exactly what I feared:

I think he wanted to quote Brave.arse ;)

Anyway I don't think it'll need some kind of dynamic smoke. They'll only need to put a normal smoke effect on top of the chimney - no collision with other objects.

• Like 1

I think he wanted to quote Brave.arse ;)

Anyway I don't think it'll need some kind of dynamic smoke. They'll only need to put a normal smoke effect on top of the chimney - no collision with other objects.

Of course. It would make much more sense from a server performance point of view as well.

I made a few posts in another thread that are kind of related to this. I hope you don't mind me plugging the idea:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/125758-why-make-instanced-or-underground-bases/page__st__20#entry1227473

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/125758-why-make-instanced-or-underground-bases/page__st__40#entry1242058

As long as they manage to create a believable lighting i'm all for it. But with light or fire illuminating stuff through walls it sucks.

As long as they manage to create a believable lighting i'm all for it. But with light or fire illuminating stuff through walls it sucks.

Look at zhrooms post. He actually used the new Arma 3 lightning on Chernarus for these screenshots. It looks quite authentic to me.

Sounds good to me, used in conjunction with a weather system it would be a brilliant idea.

• Like 1

Great suggestion. I found myself tracked for hours because of one fire. I am tired of helicopters sweeping my position turning me into the next meal for the zombies. On another note, making camp fires inside buildings makes the game look and feel dumb. No more wet wood to cook my meat!

I do like the idea, maybe the option to cover the windows so the light isn't as visible from the outside, but still smoke from chimneys?

For the smoke collision, I guess we could make the smoke ''spawn'' at the end of the chimney avoiding work on the engine + it would equal to the same result.

Edited by Average Pegasus
  • Like 1