SmashT

FRANKIEonPCin1080p - Mar 2013 - Interview with Matt Lightfoot

In terms of progress, how is the standalone coming along?

It's been really fun doing the motion capture stuff, we are making good progress, obviously we want to get everything perfect so we haven't set a date to release it. As Rocket said, it will be ready when it's ready but at the moment progress is good.

So what sort of general period (yearly quarter etc) do you expect the standalone to be out by?

It will be out sometime this year (hopefully)

I think the great thing about the DayZ Community is they just want the best possible game out so it probably doesn't matter to the vast majority when it comes out.

If you can do something in real life, there should be some logic to doing it in game so you know you should be able to do certain things quickly while others will be slower (rummaging around in your bag and things like that)

One of the problems with WarZ was you could instantly switch between nothing in your hands and a gun instantly, which made hold ups etc impossible because you they could just pull out a gun.I

I don't really know honestly, I haven't played that game much.

One of the biggest problems with the mod is how it runs and I think that's something a lot of people are concerned with especially with the addition of volumetric clouds etc, how is that going to affect performance?

Well so far we are getting fairly steady performance, I run it on two machines (an mx14 and another desktop that I can't remember specs of) but we are looking at about ArmA II performance. So with the motion capture you saw in the dev blog, we are doing that to a more simplified skeleton so that is much less performace intensive.

The game looks amazing from the screenshots/video we have seen, especially the realistic colour scheme.

Yeh, I must say that every day as new things are implemented it's becoming more and more the game I have always wanted but nobody has ever made.

One of the big things people have wanted to see fixed in the standalone is the negative mouse acceleration, there is quite a bit in the mod, has that been addressed?

I'll have to look into that, I don't know of the top off my head, obviously we want to tackle all the issues with the mod and that ArmA II had, but I will have to look into if we are tackling that one specifically.

I think moving everything from client-side to server-side is going to make a big difference with how balanced high powered rifles are, there was a period in the mod from May to July where literally everyone had a high powered rifles due to hacking/duping.

Yeh, especially the 50 cal rifles, we can tackle things at the hive level rather efficiently, obviously there will be some hacking at some point but hopefully we can get all over that and stop it.

What about weapon damage, are those values going to carry over from the mod?

We want to go back and redo all the weaponry, including all the config values and what we think will be plausible, if you get shot it's going to hurt a lot and you could go into shock so the higher end weapons are likely to

How do you plan to balance heroes and bandits, have you thought about specific skills for being a bandit/hero? At the moment it's much easier to become a bandit in the mod.

Lets use TWD as an example, Rick starts out as your ultimate hero character, always prepared to put his life on the line for others but now he is slowly descending into a more viscous character but you can still kind of justify some of the things he is doing, with that skill trees and such limit your character. Who is to say a doctor isn't also going to be really good with firearms or a good person has a momentarily lapse of judgement and they kill someone. Skill trees can limit us but there are some good ways to implement it, we haven't made a final decision if we would like to do them or not.

On that note, one suggestion is to have a dynamic endgame objectives for players to do?

It's really how you work that in and with objectives you are kind of limiting people as they will always finish the objectives, however if we leave them open ended so say we put a back story to the virus, like in skyrim or elder scrolls where there are books and side quests going on in the background that players don't need to do but give another level of depth for players can do if they want is probably a better way of implementing things rather then forcing objectives.

What about base building? Are you looking at allowing players to build houses in the game as your base and board them up etc?

Well that is one of the things that drove us to underground base building, every time you build something above ground it adds more items that need to be saved to the database, obviously if you have a 75+ slot server with hundreds of players building houses each day, after a week you have thousands of houses and the map is hugely cluttered, being underground you can control that with instancing and players won't have to download gigabytes of houses every time they join a server it can be done when they go to the instance though, really though that isn't something we are thinking about until later in the second half of the year.

How is that going to be done, will players need to find a shovel or scrap metal for a hatch etc?

Well at the moment it's still very much in a concept/idea phase, it's something we would like to do but we haven't looked at it because it's not essential for the initial release. So for the moment we are looking at things we want to have in the initial release or soon after and base building will be something we look at later in the year.

If you are a male survivor can you kill a female survivor and wear her clothes?

That's a good questions and one I have not tried, we have tried to focus on clothing that will fit both genders, so hoodies, jeans etc Would be pretty funny to see a male survivor running around in a skirt though.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 28

Awesome pics. Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation.

• Like 1

10:15 ultra-realistic death

• Like 4

Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get.

IfyouknowwhatImean.jpg

• Like 21

^^ - I see the vid. Are you using Firefox by any chance?

Edit - Hello!? Matt?! A plague on your houses for it was me that turned Rocket into the Lochness monster. I now have a frag with your name on it for forgetting.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2

Damn it, school banned youtube... Now I have to wait until I get home to watch this.

• Like 2

Damn it, school banned youtube... Now I have to wait until I get home to watch this.

What is this "school" you speak of dear sir?

:)

Edited by GOD™
  • Like 3

Just so we're all clear: Any discussion about hacking on this thread will be hidden, it's quite simply not the place for it and a mojority of users here are sick of reading about it.

Try and talk about the interview.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 3

Yay! More interviews!

And thanks Fraggle! People hopefully won't ruin the video opportunity for others.

• Like 2

What is this "school" you speak of dear sir?

:)

You wouldn't like it, the teachers are devils and the place is like hell.

Anyone by chance have a text version of anything interesting and/or important from it?

Anyone by chance have a text version of anything interesting and/or important from it?

Smash usually types up a transcription when he gets time and adds it to the original post, he's great like that.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

I'll do one later, to be honest there really wasn't much new here.

• Like 2

Agreed. It covers stuff that we already know from the devblogs. Fingers crossed for a new one today.

can we also read this interview?

You should first read the above comments. Fraggle already explained that.

• Like 1

Smash usually types up a transcription when he gets time and adds it to the original post, he's great like that.

Ok, thank you for the info.

I'll do one later, to be honest there really wasn't much new here.

Thank you for the info and the hard work you have done with the others :lol:

Edited by Noszombie

You should first read the above comments. Fraggle already explained that.

thank you!! :)

• Like 1

I honestly feel like Frankie is just uploading this video for the views. There is nothing new in their, and half the questions that he asks, Matt doesn't know how answer anyway.

• Like 3

1. I can see it the vid now

2. Can I have my flying spaghetti monster pic as a loading screen when the character dies and meets 'god'

3. How much is the ArmA 3 Alpha?

1. I can see it the vid now

2. Can I have my flying spaghetti monster pic as a loading screen when the character dies and meets 'god'

3. How much is the ArmA 3 Alpha?

Alpha is 25 Euros buyabel on Steam or on the Arma 3 Website. The full realesed Game will be more expensiv so get it now :D