Antipop (DayZ)

Want to host a DayZ Server? Read in here.

I've had a lot of requests in regards to getting a server up and what kind of requirements are needed to run a DayZ server. So I thought I'd put together a small guide as to how to go about it.

DayZ was created for everyone. For all cultures. For all languages. Your ingame character can do anything, but as people - you should respect each other and the differences. DayZ was not scoped to support private experiences on private servers. If you are not happy sharing a server with other people, please do not request a server as it wastes our time and yours

First of all, a DayZ server requires Windows. RDP may be requested to audit your server or assist with install but these details will not be stored. Linux is not supported. If using a server provider ensure that the DayZ server mod (a dll) can be installed on it.

Where suspicion of server admin hacking or alteration exists, RDP will be requested by DayZ staff to investigate. RDP details will not be recorded and you are recommended to change passwords after this is done. Refusal to provide temporary RDP in this situation could result in your server being blacklisted.

Second, your server needs to be able to handle Terra-bytes of bandwidth monthly. Some servers are chewing through well over 2TB of bandwidth a month. So be mindful of that.

Thirdly, the specifications. Below is a rough list of requirements to have a comfortable 50 player server.

* Quad Core CPU @ 3Ghz+ (CPU is the main enforcer in a ArmA server, so the more powerful the better)

* 2GB+ Ram (Ram isn't a big issue in an ArmA server, so don't be overly concerned with having copious amounts [16GB+] of it as it won't be required)

* 50GB+ HDD (Preferably SATA3 or SSD) (ArmA 2 CO and the DayZ Mod take up approx. 20GB)

* Bandwidth at least 2TB a month. (As stated earlier, at least 2TB is required)

Finally, if you think you have what it takes, then we're more than happy to get your server running as soon as possible.

First point of call is to use the contact form on the main webpage and I'm sure they'll get in contact with you.

I'll be unable to provide the best 'Server Providers' to approach to get a good server, I leave that up to you. Just look through different providers, compare prices and specifications and ensure they match what a DayZ server requires.

UPDATE 14-MAY-2012

For any server admins who have been hesitant to give RDP information to us, then don't be afraid, we are opening the doors for everyone to setup their own DayZ servers! (Server admins who give Devs RDP will have priority in regards to new files, updates, restarts etc)

UPDATE 5-JUNE-2012

RDP is not required, it is discouraged. You may provide RDP to a volunteer or another server admin to help them assist with your install. These details will not be recorded by DayZ. Be CAREFUL who you provide your RDP details to as DayZ will never demand you provide these details.

UPDATE 1-JULY-2012

All server requests are now processed at support.dayzmod.com.

BEWARE - The same restrictions apply to Non-Dev run servers!

- IT MAY NEVER BE PASSWORDED

- NO OTHER KEYS OR MODS. NONE. PERIOD.

- NO KICKING TO MAKE ROOM FOR 'FRIENDS' OR CLANMATES

- NO LOCKING THE SERVER

- NO EDITING DAYZ/MISSION FILES

- IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO UPDATE YOUR SERVER TO THE LATEST VERSION OF DAYZ

-BATTLEYE MUST BE ENABLED

- Minimum slot count of 40 (30 for countries where bandwidth is expensive i.e. developing countries)

- Their are only two reasons why you, as a server owner, should ban a player on your server. Those two reasons are: Malicious talk, and racism. You may not ban a user for stealing your loot, killing you, spying on you, etc.

- You may only kick for disruptive behavior (such as continued VOIP over side channel). But you may not kick due to race or language or because the person does something you do not like.

- Kicking for extremely excessive ping or desync is permitted, but if abused is grounds for blacklisting

Failure to adhere to these rules will BAN YOUR SERVER'S IP from DayZ.

If you have any questions, then please post in this thread, or email me; dayzmatt@gmail.com

We're always on the look out for servers, so please feel free to contact us if you want to get involved!

• Like 24

Vipeax. I can't be certain, but I'd believe upwards of 2TB a month for two servers.

The main concern with servers is the CPU Power. I've had a box with a Quad Core Sandy Bridge run at 100% with a 35/35 DayZ game. CPU is the main cruncher with ArmA servers. You might happily run 3 Battlefield 3 64 Player servers on the box, but ArmA is a completely different ballgame.

Regards,

Matt

So far with 2 50 slots servers we are likey to hit about 4-5TB. We have a ping kicker both and beta patch on one of our servers which reduces it a bit.

Do we have a rough estimate for bandwidth per player? I want to run a small server locally to play, is this allowed?

I would be able to host another 50 Chicago player server on my dual Xeon box with plenty of bandwidth, but you guys don't have Linux support yet. Is it being worked on or are there plans at all?

I would be able to host another 50 Chicago player server on my dual Xeon box with plenty of bandwidth' date=' but you guys don't have Linux support yet. Is it being worked on or are there plans at all?

[/quote']

Why not just rent a W2008 license for 20/month?

I would like to host your server mainly for the community in the Czech Republic.

I would be able to host another 50 Chicago player server on my dual Xeon box with plenty of bandwidth' date=' but you guys don't have Linux support yet. Is it being worked on or are there plans at all?

[/quote']

Why not just rent a W2008 license for 20/month?

It's not that, my provider let's me switch to any OS including windows for free at any time. But I don't like using Windows because it's slow and a significant resource hog, not to mention having to deal with a GUI on a server (lol) over a command line. I'd also have to wipe everything I have now to reinstall which is another pain.

As much as I'd like to host a server, the hassle is probably too much though I'm still considering it and I'm sure we'd see a lot more servers if there were Linux binaries. Though Rocket probably has more important things to deal with right now, it would be nice to have in the future nonetheless

Do we have a rough estimate for bandwidth per player? I want to run a small server locally to play' date=' is this allowed?

[/quote']

Unfortunately at the present moment we don't allow local servers. Only open, public servers. This may change in the future, but at this stage, only public servers.

In regards to Linux, it was being looked into. But at this stage, it's not on the top priority list. Apologies for that.

Regards,

Matt

I noticed that on most servers, the map changes to a new day every day. Is this done automatically, and inserted somehow from the main database? Or is this something that the admins of those servers are doing on their own?

Hello all, i want to Host the Mod on My French public server 20 slots.

Cya.

Hey,

I plan on hosting some Servers myself now but I have some kind of luxury problem :D. My university offers free MS licenses, including Windows Server 2008 Standard/Enterprise/Datacenter/Web. Web has no RDS but I'm wondering which of ther other will fit the roles. I mean I dont want a giant OS eating half of my power for functions I dont use. Server is a Intel Core i7-2600 with 16 GB RAM.

Hey' date='

I plan on hosting some Servers myself now but I have some kind of luxury problem :D. My university offers free MS licenses, including Windows Server 2008 Standard/Enterprise/Datacenter/Web. Web has no RDS but I'm wondering which of ther other will fit the roles. I mean I dont want a giant OS eating half of my power for functions I dont use. Server is a Intel Core i7-2600 with 16 GB RAM.

[/quote']

You're going to want standard.

http://www.directionsonmicrosoft.com/sample/DOMIS/update/2008/02feb/0208ws2plp_ch.htm

Hey' date='

[/quote']

You're going to want standard.

http://www.directionsonmicrosoft.com/sample/DOMIS/update/2008/02feb/0208ws2plp_ch.htm

Thx, nice list, found one official by microsoft but it was not worth the time I spend on reading it.

For any server admins who have been hesitant to give RDP information to us, then don't be afraid, we are opening the doors for everyone to setup their own DayZ servers!

However... In order to operate, you must first speak with a server administrator, such as myself, and we must issue you a Instance number. Every different server (even 2 on the same box) require it's own instance number, or mission ID number. At the moment, we're up to 130+. So if you would like to run your own server, then please let me know, and I will hand out the required readme and instance mission file for you to operate, run and maintain you're own server.

BEWARE - The same restrictions apply to privately run servers!

- NO EXCESS KEYS OR MODS

Let the games begin :)

Regards,

Matt

For any server admins who have been hesitant to give RDP information to us' date=' then don't be afraid, we are opening the doors for everyone to setup their own DayZ servers!

However... In order to operate, you must first speak with a server administrator, such as myself, and we must issue you a Instance number. Every different server (even 2 on the same box) require it's own instance number, or mission ID number. At the moment, we're up to 130+. So if you would like to run your own server, then please let me know, and I will hand out the required readme and instance mission file for you to operate, run and maintain you're own server.

[b']BEWARE - The same restrictions apply to privately run servers!

- NO EXCESS KEYS OR MODS

Let the games begin :)

Regards,

Matt

I've seen multiple servers that are passworded with people in them. Same goes with kicking to make room(Legion).

Maybe you guys should start enforcing these rules.

• Like 3

Guatalian,

Unfortunately I have been unable to see these servers for myself. Are you sure they were authorised? We have only given out the readme for setting up a server to one or two people within the last hour. If it was passworded before hand, it was most likely not a proper server with the current SQL .exe's running. We've had a few instances of players attempting to setup a server with the same modline with the current official servers, however failing to realise it requires much more than that to run a DayZ server.

Regards,

Matt

Antipop, there were 3 authorised servers locked today alone. I can't recall which, but next time I see some, I'll pm you with the info, incase they are locked for testing for some reason. The servers hosted by FS get locked a lot.

Antipop' date=' there were 3 authorised servers locked today alone. I can't recall which, but next time I see some, I'll pm you with the info, incase they are locked for testing for some reason. The servers hosted by FS get locked a lot.

[/quote']

Thankyou Lofty. Please PM as many details as you can and I'll pass it immediately onto rocket.

Regards,

Matt

• Like 1

Hey all,

I've been getting a flood of PM's. So just thought I'd make it a little easier.

If you have emailed dayzdevteam@gmail.com and have not recieved a reply in a while, please email; dayzmatt@gmail.com - That's my new gmail. It'll be easier for me to track what I'm doing. So please use that, much easier than PM's.

Regards,

Matt

Would be able to host a server on a pc with a connection of 100/10 and unlimited data traffic. Only problem is, that our server OS is CentOS.

Finn, as stated earlier, DayZ ONLY supports Windows based servers at this stage.

Sorry for inconvience.

Regards,

Matt

About dedicated server setup.

1. Do I have to purchase another Arma 2 game and install it to the server? I already own the game and play this mod in my vista setup.

2. Is there a freeware dedicated server available which is installed to the windows server?