Hello everyone,

My name is Hicks, and I wanted to take a few moments to introduce everyone to the project I've been assisting with over the last week or so.

Some of you may, or may not be aware that prior to DayZ.St getting ahold of server files for DayZLand.de's version of Taviana Island for DayZ, we provided the largest number of public Taviana for DayZ servers, and for weeks now we have been very dedicated in ensuring everyone had access to the outstanding map that Taviana is.

After several stalled negotiations to release the server files to the masses, my colleagues and I decided to take it upon ourselves to start from scratch with Martin's 1.0 Taviana, and DayZ Mod 1.7.4.4.

It is because of this, and recent events that I wanted to offer transparency to all of the DayZ community so no one was left with questions when we release our client, and server files to everyone.

Our intent, and our mission statement is as follows:

• 100% Public release of server files, the day we release our client files.
  • Everyone, regardless of their chosen server setup should be able to run their own Taviana server.
  • We are working with ayan4m1 to ensure that we are bundled inside Bliss as well, for maximum ease of use.
  • Ease of use and accessibility for client files.- We are working with Josh, the developer of DayZ Commander, as well as a reliable and high speed provider for hosting the files themselves.
  • Aggressive and open development cycle - We've assembled a strong team of competent mod developers, project managers, and designers to continue to polish and refine the DayZ experience inside Martin's map, and we've reached out to Martin himself for feedback, blessing, and to work hand in hand in any potential fixes and modifications for future Taviana map releases.
  • Community driven refinement - Within the next day or so we will be rolling out a public facing project management portal on DayZTaviana.com that will be a singular place for reporting, tracking, and resolving issues and design change requests for DayZ Taviana.
  • This project is an ever evolving, rapidly changing product and we believe that the truth in that resides in putting the power in the hands of the community to identify what works, and what does not.
  • Staying core to DayZMod – We do not have designs on changing the core functionality of DayZ. We intend to conform as much as possible to the existing DayZ Mod and DayZ Private (Bliss) core functionality. Allowing for a maximum ease of use for server operators.

In short, all of us here with DayZTaviana.com and the DayZ Taviana Community dev team love the DayZ Mod community, and the fantastic work Martin has put into Taviana. We feel that anyone, and everyone should be empowered to experience this map with DayZ, without applications, drama, or restrictions.

I hope to see all of you putting your two cents into bugs and design change requests when we go live.

• Like 3

This sounds unnecessary and confusing since the server files have already been released for DayZLands Taviana, which six already supports and DZC is in the process of adding support for :/

http://dayzmod.com/f...-by-dayzlandeu/

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 2

Well, I apologize if this does infact confuse you in any way Smasht. I hope you'll change your mind when the client files are available in DZC, or at the very least give the product a glance.

I'm saying having two separate versions of the same map is going to be confusing to users in general.

• Like 5

It won't end up that way, believe me - I've been aware of the risk.

It is my full intention to make sure of this. I encourage you to wait for the DZC release and see how it is communicated at that time. If you still have reservations, I more than encourage suggestions and feedback.

Does that mean ability to host Taviana-map on v-word servers too? Just looking for alternative host since Taviana-map is so awesome and can't currently host it :(

• Like 1

This is an interesting development.

The creators of the original version have left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth with all the unnecessary drama around the release of their version, so I'll be following this with interest.

• Like 1

The server files were released publicly without any restrictions - so as much as I respect the work you have/are going to put into this I think it would be a better solution to form a team with the people which are already working on it.

There is no point in having two different versions of a map if both are public, where each of them has some bugfixes and advantages but also its disadvantages. This will split the community and will not be of use for anyone I believe.

So I'd suggest that you/your team get in touch with Alex, he will appreciate any help he gets with taviana.

/edit: On top of that, if you are introducing a good platform for reports/suggestions I could imagine that Alex would be willing to join in. On the other hand it might make sense to shift that to http://opendayz.net/index.php which is already a platform for several private hives and custom map development.

Edited by leepfrog
  • Like 1

Rest assured my friend, that is the first route I took. Hopefully, we'll see some positive forward development for Taviana regardless.

I very much appreciate the constructive feedback, by the way.

I'm saying having two separate versions of the same map is going to be confusing to users in general.

I find dayzland's restrictive release policy unneccessery complicated and confusing.

I am glad they at least decided to finally release the files to selected server hosters.

But it might have been too later after all, dayzland themselves advice people on their

forums to NOT download the version that will be available on DZC, saying it might break stuff clientside.

That already was a good few days ago.

Maybe a hint that hicks already has some sort of deal with DZC, and they somehow got intel on that?

I guess that would be the death blow for dayzland's mod.

I personally think that would be sad, because their mod has potential. Alot of nice idea's and new stuff.

But if you upset the larger part of player's and hoster's, don't be suprised if they just go find something else.

@hicks

Is this the same hicks who held the Survivor gamez?

If so, have beans :)

Edited by Azrail
  • Like 1

Yeah Az, I'm part of the Survivor GameZ team. Glad to hear you enjoyed the last event!

Can't wait to hear what you think of the next one.

• Like 1

I find dayzland's restrictive release policy unneccessery complicated and confusing.

I am glad they at least decided to finally release the files to selected server hosters.

But it might have been too later after all, dayzland themselves advice people on their

forums to NOT download the version that will be available on DZC, saying it might break stuff clientside.

That already was a good few days ago.

Maybe a hint that hicks already has some sort of deal with DZC, and they somehow got intel on that?

I guess that would be the death blow for dayzland's mod.

You're right, it was a terrible policy but since the server files have since been released to everyone it's no longer an issue.

DZC waiting to release a version that majority of the servers (125+) aren't using would also be a bad decision. It would be incredibly confusing for the end user.

DayZCommander will, in-fact, have both dayztaviana.com and dayzland.eu versions of Taviana available.

• Like 2

As much as I love your work dotjosh I do not think that this is a wise decision. This will cause a LOT of confusion and it will split the remaining DayZ players (which are already decreasing overall atm) leading to less full servers etc.

This mistake was already made once with Panthera and even if you make it _very_ clear in the GUI it will still cause a lot of confusion and discourage especially new players to try out this map.

We will see where that takes us..

I'm not looking forward to the confusion. But the dayztaviana.com version is very focused on being as open as possible, and I'm trying to be more liberal with the number of mods I add to commander from now on. It's a great map, so I'm hoping it'll be beneficial to the community in the long run.

• Like 2

A little bit of competition will do no one any harm and in the long run, if they both continue to develop this mod along side each other, it will be good for the community as a whole I think as a better experience should come out of a potential rivalry.

Come on then guys, fight it out and give us the best Taviana mod that you can both deliver, then we'll all be happy survivors.

Edited by RedNome
  • Like 1

So whats the point of this, for the end user that is. I saw EU's map and all my friends were playing that. Why should we switch?

Thanks Hicks! It was silly from the beginning that some server providers were excluded from dayzland.eu .-version...

Just installed DayzTaviana 1.0

I was wondering is patch notes available since boats don't have inventory and vehicles don't show up whole damage list etc as on dayzland.eu-version.

Edited by Caine

So whats the point of this, for the end user that is. I saw EU's map and all my friends were playing that. Why should we switch?

freedom of choice, pick whatever works best for you.

i am looking forward to what dayztaviana.com will have in store for me :)

Edited by Azrail
  • Like 1

So what's the difference between these two mods currently or are they basically the same right now? Is there a change log available?

And also, what of the future, are there any ideas that you've decided on already as to what you want to implement or changes to be made or are your ideas going to come solely from the community?

Oh and Kudos to you, Kai and anyone else involved with you guys for what you do for the community, between this, Survivor games, your streams and whatever else I've missed you've given a lot back :beans:

What is with certain members of this community always calling for restrictions to this that and the other?

Variety is good the more the better! and I find it hard to belive that people have a hard job copying folders and ticking a bloody box in arma launcher. It's not difficult and tbh if people can't figure that out then maybe they shouldent be using a computer in the first place.

Great work OP and just ignore the nay sayers, it's always the same story with that lot, play it their way or no way!

You should use a custom modfolder for this mod.

It alter the original @taviana and @taviana_objects modfolders when installed through dayzcommander.

Rename it to something like @taviana_dayzcom or something else than the original modfolder name please.