JimJam (DayZ)

Starving to death needs to be COMPLETELY overhauled.

Just had the complete nonsense experience of starving to death.

This despite my having a can of sardines less than 3 hours before. Plus a ton of water, plus a ton of Cokes and Pepsis. Pepsis are FULL of freaking calories.

This game needs a complete overhaul as far as food requirements are concerned. Humans can survive for a week or more without food, as long as they have plenty of water.

FIX THIS.

And by the way, I visited a freaking supermarket and found everything but food... :rolleyes:

Food should be all over the place in the residential areas. Oh yeah, and I also ran across a freaking dozen sheep, cows or goats and of course, couldn't kill them and eat them raw...

Calling BULLSH*T

Edited by JimJam
  • Like 1

Say please.

Edited by Rage VG
  • Like 8

Well when you do everything right, but for whatever reason the freaking random generator of food doesn't come up though you visit 25 different sites, it does get more than a little annoying.

I had everything else, pistol, rifle, shotgun, bloodbags, meds of all necessary varieties, axe, crowbar, toolkit, but of course, no freaking skinning knife to allow me to butcher the freaking pigs I kept running across. What's the freaking axe for?? I had wood and matches, no, can't chop the freaking pig up with an axe, not allowed.

Fix this nonsense.... PLEASE.

Edited by JimJam

Well when you do everything right, but for whatever reason the freaking random generator of food doesn't come up though you visit 25 different sites, it does get more than a little annoying.

I had everything else, pistol, rifle, shotgun, bloodbags, meds of all necessary varieties, axe, crowbar, toolkit, but of course, no freaking skinning knife to allow me to butcher the freaking pigs I kept running across. What's the freaking axe for?? I had wood and matches, no, can't chop it up with an axe, not allowed.

Fix this nonsense.... PLEASE.

As a medic, I am always overloaded with food. I take it as a priority and I know where to look to find it. It's really abundant.

The idea that something so simple could end you is what gives the game its edge. It's what would drive a normally timid player to communicate out of necessity to trade for food, or perhaps friendly players will turn to banditry to get what they need. It encourages you to think differently than "CHANGE THE GAME SO I CAN PLAY LIKE THIS."

But you did say please.

ROCKET

FIX IT NAOOOOOOOOOO

Nice attitude. Basically, your just a bit upset right now. I'm not sure the best course of action is for the devs to re-write the code to accomodate your needs.

Chill out for a bit and everything won't seem as stressful.

• Like 7

Nice attitude. Basically, your just a bit upset right now. I'm not sure the best course of action is for the devs to re-write the code to accomodate your needs.

Chill out for a bit and everything won't seem as stressful.

But he said please. I'm on his side.

• Like 1

Just had the complete nonsense experience of starving to death.

This despite my having a can of sardines less than 3 hours before. Plus a ton of water, plus a ton of Cokes and Pepsis. Pepsis are FULL of freaking calories.

This game needs a complete overhaul as far as food requirements are concerned. Humans can survive for a week or more without food, as long as they have plenty of water.

FIX THIS.

And by the way, I visited a freaking supermarket and found everything but food... :rolleyes:

Food should be all over the place in the residential areas. Oh yeah, and I also ran across a freaking dozen sheep, cows or goats and of course, couldn't kill them and eat them raw...

Calling BULLSH*T

If you want it to be a case of you die after a week of not having food, would you have this as a week of in game play time, or a week in real time, because then you either never die of starvation or you die of starvation if you don't play the game for a week.

• Like 1

This despite my having a can of sardines less than 3 hours before. Plus a ton of water, plus a ton of Cokes and Pepsis. Pepsis are FULL of freaking calories

Well if you wanna bring it down to this level , how about we take in account ALL the god damn calories that are burnt running around Elektro. Then Running to Cherno. Then Running to every deer stand you encounter only to find you are all the way up near the North West Airfield , then must run all the way down south. Let's then take in account of all the calorie crushing squats we have done , from the deep burn in our thighs from being crouched all the time.. shall i continue?

• Like 7

Go through his posts Fraggles.

He is going through post processing depression.

He's gonna be really happy when he has a knife, skins his first boar, chops wood with his axe, lights a fire with his matches, cooks his steaks, eats and puts the left overs in his Alice.

• Like 5

honestly, and without any harsh: i died of starve only when i was much more unexperienced, or extremely low on blood..keep playing!

What do I want?

I want some realism. This is supposed to be an ultra realistic survival game, then it should have the following:

Drinking water out of ponds or taps without a water bottle being required

Being able to butcher an animal with an axe, hell in many ways I think I'd prefer an axe to a knife, I know how to use one and I'd like being able to chop through joints easily

Being able to eat food raw, and yes it should go bad if you try to keep it without cooking. In fact, shouldn't be able to keep cooked food for more than a short while.

And I'd be happy to see a more realistic effect of being shot, no instant cures from blood transfusions.

And not starving to death three hours after eating a can of sardines. That is simply ridiculous. If the designers want to compress time, then make it at least 24 hours.

And by the way I didn't run that far, most of the time was spent crawling around exploring houses and buildings which had lots of stuff I didn't need or already had.

I didn't do anything wrong, in fact I thought I did everything just about as well as I could, but because the food spawn generator was off, I was out of luck.

Edited by JimJam

I want some realism.

Realism yes, but this game is still in alpha.

And also keep in mind that it is a game. Realism has its limits.

I am all for this game being as realistic as possible,

but it still needs to fit with the rest of the game.

They first have to find a way to implement realistic game elements,

and currently there are more important things to consider.

FInding food in dayz vanillia for example, is actually piss easy once you know the map.

I think i only ever died once of starving, and that was intended because

i needed a respawn. I admit it was fairly close more then once, but so is dayz.

Keep on trying, you will get the hang of it and learn where to find food.

And play with friends, everything in dayz will become so much easier with teamwork.

There's always one mate whom got some in his pack or the tools to hunt and cook something.

Oh and, if you still think starving in dayz vanillia is harsh - don't even bother playing on Namalsk xD

And even there it's still to easymode for my liking.

Edited by Azrail

Hey JimJam maybe you should read up on how the damn game works before you decide it's broke? You died from ignorance not faulty coding. It's pretty easy to kill animals and render them into usable food once you know how. Frankly it's rarely even necessary as finding cans of food is stupid easy (unless your playing Namalsk map). I usually find so much food and pop I just leave it laying around... I don't need more than 3 cans of anything because before that runs out I'll find a bunch more.

QQ more, food is abundant and if you want realism, don't expect to run too far past 1600m without serious repercussions.

• Like 1

which map were you on ???

if its Namalask, well thats the ENTIRE point of the map..

food n drink is really scarce.

its what makes that map so awesome..

it basicly sounds to me, like you just want the food/water timers removed so you dont have to bother with the timesinks they require.

Random loot is random? Next time you will probably find food in every log cabin and never find a weapon. Shit happens.

Personally, I'm all for realism. That's why I love this game, but the perception of realism is different for everyone and they can't recode the game to satisfy absolutely everyone. Its frustrating when some perceived fault in the game makes you lose your progress. We've all been there I'm sure. I know i have. The reason I don't rage about it is because dying in some stupid way and starting from scratch has led to some of the most fun situations I've had.

• Like 1

Hey JimJam maybe you should read up on how the damn game works before you decide it's broke? You died from ignorance not faulty coding. It's pretty easy to kill animals and render them into usable food once you know how.

I see a lot of people didn't bother to read my post.

You need a knife to render an animal bozo, if you don't run across a knife you can't do it. That's my point. You should be able to do it with the much more common axe.

And I didn't die from ignorance, I did read up on the best strategies and the newbie guides, I have a map which shows where things can be found, I went to 8 different locations, including a large city which had a shopping center. I had everything else I might need, except a skinning knife and food.

Frankly it's rarely even necessary as finding cans of food is stupid easy (unless your playing Namalsk map). I usually find so much food and pop I just leave it laying around... I don't need more than 3 cans of anything because before that runs out I'll find a bunch more.

If you are lucky. I wasn't lucky. I checked out over 25 different buildings, most of them high value, and only found one single can of sardines. I saved that can of sardines till my food button was flashing red, then I ate it. Then I searched again, but didn't find a single scrap of food in three hours of searching another 25 buildings including a shopping center and high value residential buildings, (where else are you likely to find food???). In the meantime I ran across many many cows, goats and pigs, but couldn't kill and eat them because I didn't have a skinning knife. Then I starved to death... That's stupid and poor game design. I didn't die from ignorance, I died from the failure of the game to model realistically. I had plenty of water, I got a water bottle, refilled it many times and drank, had lots of cans of soda, which should give some food value, but they don't, had Morphine, blood bags, painkillers, bandages up the yin yang, lots of weapons and ammo, matches, watch, toolbox, axe, crowbar, jerry can, etc. etc.

What I'm asking for is more realistic hunger modelling, and use of food animals. I don't think that's unrealistic.

Edited by JimJam

I see a lot of people didn't bother to read my post.

You need a knife to render an animal bozo, if you don't run across a knife you can't do it. That's my point. You should be able to do it with the much more common axe.

And I didn't die from ignorance, I did read up on the best strategies and the newbie guides, I have a map which shows where things can be found, I went to 8 different locations, including a large city which had a shopping center. I had everything else I might need, except a skinning knife and food.

If you are lucky. I wasn't lucky. I checked out over 25 different buildings, most of them high value, and only found one single can of sardines. I saved that can of sardines till my food button was flashing red, then I ate it. Then I searched again, but didn't find a single scrap of food in three hours of searching another 25 buildings including a shopping center and high value residential buildings, (where else are you likely to find food???). In the meantime I ran across many many cows, goats and pigs, but couldn't kill and eat them because I didn't have a skinning knife. Then I starved to death... That's stupid and poor game design. I didn't die from ignorance, I died from the failure of the game to model realistically. I had plenty of water, I got a water bottle, refilled it many times and drank, had lots of cans of soda, which should give some food value, but they don't, had Morphine, blood bags, painkillers, bandages up the yin yang, lots of weapons and ammo, matches, watch, toolbox, axe, crowbar, jerry can, etc. etc.

What I'm asking for is more realistic hunger modelling, and use of food animals. I don't think that's unrealistic.

Its not poor game design. Its a damn apocalypse. You don't think that in real life there would be a shortage of food? Ok the game needs some work but people would have eaten all the food and killed lots of animals. Starvation would be more common than it currently is.

• Like 1

Oh Jimjam. You poor thing. You have had a bad time of it, haven't you! But if you look at your post, you yourself explain why you didn't find any food or a hunting knife. You said you looked in over 25 places and then another 25 places. That might seem like a lot but it isn't. You say they were all "high value" residential buildings. Well, if you had picked up the empty tin cans and moved them elsewhere, new items would have spawned, possibly including some tins of food!

Can't be nice being told you died of ignorance but you did: it was ignorance of where best to look for food to spawn in large amounts. With more experience you will know exactly where and how often to look. And did you know you can survivve at least 4-5 minutes before eating food when your red hungry icon starts flashing? Had you gone to Electro, for example, you would find hunting knives in houses, the supermarket, the cafe, the office block, the school, the fire stations, train stations, barns, sheds, under arches in houses that are not even open, and so many more places. It's just practice and chance & probability or "luck" because you might just be playing on the day when the server you are on just isn't spawing food, or tents, or backpacks. It happens.

We've all died at some point from thirst or hunger but it is rare. This evening, I spent an hour running in chernarus' country and found only 2 tins of coke and nothing else. It does happen and yesterday I nearly died of thirst but in the final few minutes I found a pepsi in a barn. And I once spent 5 weeks searching for a tent! It isn't poor programming it's random chance & probability. That's what people are telling you, to get the facts and be more informed, they're saying there are look up tables you can view that tell you the likelihood of things spawning at different places.

Good luck. I always say, smile, grit yourself and try again. :thumbsup: :beans:

Edited by Sula

Pepsis are FULL of freaking calories.

That's not how starving to death works

food would be almost useless. in a weeks playtime id have all the equptment to kill animals and would have killed several. it should stay how it is to keep things interesting.

I was running around with an ALICE pack full of food when I stumbled on a coyote backpack in the Balota ATC tower. I was redlined on hunger and thirst, but nothing was flashing yet. I dropped my ALICE to pick up the coyote and the ALICE disappeared, along with all my food and water.

That glitch nearly killed my 30+ day old character, but I managed to find drink and kill a boar in about 5 minutes, with hunger flashing for what must have been 3-4 minutes.

That glitch sucked worse that your situation OP, but I just rolled with it. I tipped my hat to the DayZ gods, acknowledged their devious attempt to kill me, and moved on.

Life is too short, especially in DayZ.

Edited by iegle
  • Like 2

Double post.

Edited by iegle