shanewalsh

The Cure!

Finding the cure could be the ultimate goal. A mission that takes days to complete, having to find clues, investigate abandoned places, read civil medical or military logs, etc. All this would lead you to the research center where the cure can be developed, or where it's already being developed. And then the great ending: the research center starts broadcasting what they are about to achieve, and that all survivors should get in there quickly. All the zombies get attracted to that place too, and then an epic siege begins. If you hold on until the cure development is finished, you win and the mission or server is reset.

Then in the website there would be statistics about this, like in http://dayzmod.com/

- Total times you found the cure

- Max/Min/Average time it took

- Max/Min/Average Zombies killed

- Max/Min/Average Bandits killed

- Max/Min/Average Humans killed (substracts points)

- Max/Min/Average Humans saved (adds points) (this is the number of humans who managed to get into the research center)

- Total score based on these stats

Then lots of things could be done based on the score, like being able to spawn with cooler skins or clothes (can be stolen, but only for that match. And they don't give any benefits, other than giving you cool looks), but I'll leave that for another thread.

Also, we might even never be able to find the cure, if bandits do their job. So it's still up to the players.

Edited by shanewalsh

Nope. your killing dayz with talk like that. I get to make my own goals. It kinda kills the idea of a sandbox game. I really hope they dont do something like this....

• Like 1

I agree with Mastabuds. You're getting away from the concept of the game. Have you played many MMOs Shane?

I've played a couple of MMOs, yes. Why? How is that question relevant?

Edited by shanewalsh

Nope. your killing dayz with talk like that. I get to make my own goals. It kinda kills the idea of a sandbox game. I really hope they dont do something like this....

What do you mean? An experienced player won't have any advantage over other players, other than his experience (with clothes I didn't mean things that help you with armor nor camouflage. I meant something like the current civil clothing, but cooler). The game stays the same. And the stats part is already in place: http://dayzmod.com/

The cure might even never be found if bandits do their job.

Edited by shanewalsh

I'm sorry to say, I agree with the other guys. Not a good idea. It's an interesting one though. A siege of some sort would still be kinda cool.

I'm sorry to say, I agree with the other guys. Not a good idea. It's an interesting one though. A siege of some sort would still be kinda cool.

Can you guys elaborate instead of just saying "no"? From Mastabud's comment I get that he didn't understand what I was proposing. How can it be "not good" and "interesting"?

Edited by shanewalsh

Have you ever played Dead Island? Same theory. I played it, I enjoyed it. I didn't replay it.

MMOs are generally a blank canvas, there is endless things for you to do (not currently what we have in Day Z, but... it's coming hopefully)

What we like about Day Z is...

"This is Day Z. This is your story."

There is no story, it's a sandbox and I am relieved there is no story. They are leaving that up to us, the players to create. It also enables them to focus on the game.

• Like 2

How can it be "not good" and "interesting"?

Because it is. -_- Because it's an interesting idea but it wouldn't suit DayZ. Because I like the idea of the siege but the idea about the cure sucked. The only siege I want is when you hole up in a house and fortify it than zombies spawn and siege it, but a cure is a game breaker for a game like DayZ.

Nice idea! If it has its own characters and chain of development next to the "normal" character.

All gameplay should be possible, because everybody should be able to play the way he/she wants.

But not necessarely mixed up with one another, and crossing into each others world.

The technology exists. Only thing we might lack, is the imagination.

As a separate game type, I say yes. Why not?

it would kind of defeat the purpose of the current sandbox style, but maybe a seperate "story" gamemode might work, although it seems unlikely.

i really like the idea, but unfortunately it doesn't quite fit with the DayZ sandbox zombie survival gameplay, since "This is DayZ. This is your story"

No, I think having an ending in this game is not beneficial to the overall situation. Being in an apocalypse would be survival of the fittest not survive to find a cure. Your aim is too much like most other games on the market and DayZ offers a sandbox environment in which to play which is different and let's face it a game which is so open does not need restrictive endings. The ending you suggest is a reason not to do it, what would be your next step? Cure each and everyone of the infected?

Now if they released a single player version or even a training scenario, then your idea would be valid. Perhaps a new map could incorporate this idea but a mod would have to be done for timings and scripting.

I can also see it as a multiplayer game mode " capture the cure " remember the spawn rates of zombies also are limited so the lab / research centre would not have mass crowds of infected. The more you have the slower you FPS.

Hello there

I think a limited version of "the Cure!" could be brought in game without affecting the overall experience.

If a "limited" cure/zed deterrent could be found to clear areas of Zeds for a limited time to allow safe looting etc then that could quite happily exist as a "side event" as is tromping up to NAF to get gear.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

I have to chime in here and agree that such an endgame would be detrimental to this MMO sandbox game, HOWEVER I do think The Cure would be an outstanding narrative for a single-player campaign if there ever is one.

Edited by Bakst

I have nothing against optinal little side Missions or little side storys but it has to be optional.

A finishgoal, nope! Thats not openworld sandbox gaming.

There is no goal, the goal is to play and survive.

There will be no missions, quests or ending in DayZ, it's a sandbox game.

There will be no missions, quests or ending in DayZ, it's a sandbox game.

100%. But how do you feel about a single-player campaign à la Minecraft?

Dang, thought this was a post about "The Cure" (band) but nope...I agree no missions unless it's done on a private hive as an optional thing that would be cool.

• Like 1

Dang, thought this was a post about "The Cure" (band) but nope...I agree no missions unless it's done on a private hive as an optional thing that would be cool.

Come on fella, Boys Don't Cry!

• Like 1

Come on fella, Boys Don't Cry!

I was thinking more about this song (had to snag lyrics) "World War"

Dressed in Berlin black

I was only playing

Disguise my words to fool you

From what I was saying

Mud trench

Meat stench

The fatherland is looking on

Grip you in a luger lock

This will be the big one

World war

No one would believe me

No one's a winner

No one's a loser

Just a dead friend

Heaven heaven

Give me pride

Give me a golden hand

Smash them with an iron rule

Spit them out like sand

Sit and wait

Then run like hell

Run like hell one time again

Sow the seeds of hate

Underneath destruction

World war

No one would believe me

No one's a winner

No one's a loser

Just a dead friend

World war

No one would believe me

No one's a winner

No one's a loser

This would remove the concept of DayZ since you need to survive there is no cure everything is wiped out zombies all over and you need to scavenge and stay alive and even though what could you acomplish by then finding the cure nothing but i think like certain very rare weapons of new technology some where hidden in Scientest bunkers with a very rare chance of it being there that would be awesome but this would just make no sense if they added it...

100%. But how do you feel about a single-player campaign à la Minecraft?

minecraft does not have a campaign of any sort.

it does have some "endgame content", such as buildng a beacon or fighting the Enderdragon, but no narrative or story whatsoever

minecraft does not have a campaign of any sort.

it does have some "endgame content", such as buildng a beacon or fighting the Enderdragon, but no narrative or story whatsoever

Yes that's true. I was referring to the fact that you can play Minecraft on a single-player localhost (campaign was the wrong term), and that you can "beat" the game at The End. I think it would be nice to have something similar in DayZ, although it certainly is not a deal-breaker for me if they don't add it.

• Like 1

As far as story goes I have to agree that this isn't the greatest idea.

However I have yet to see a zombie game that incorporates the whole virus idea properly. Your character is just... somehow magically immune. The only game I've seen do this decently was Resident Evil outbreak but that game(s) was/were crap.

It'd be nice to see a zombie game that you had to take antibiotics or a rather difficult to find MacGuffin in order to stop the zombie inflicted wound from turning you in to a zombie as well.

Yes that's true. I was referring to the fact that you can play Minecraft on a single-player localhost (campaign was the wrong term), and that you can "beat" the game at The End. I think it would be nice to have something similar in DayZ, although it certainly is not a deal-breaker for me if they don't add it.

ah, now i understand. i agree with this.

Shut up and take my beans!