figgehn

Suggestion for a new death screen

Hello all.

This is my suggestion and a concept of a death screen. It would be nice to know how you died, by whom and how long you lived. My idea was to have a lot of variables in some flowing text, since DayZ is about you, creating your own story, and the story can end i two ways: 1. You die. 2. You stop playing.

I read some ideas of incorporating somekind of name system, so Unknown would be changed to "Billy Bob" if the character had interacted with him (Maybe got killed after giving some blood etc.).

So, what you think?

oGso6.jpg

• Like 17

I like having information on the death screen, but it shouldn't show exactly what you got killed by and such.

• Like 2

I can see why some would like this sort of thing, but I don't believe it suits DayZ.

It's not your story if you have it told to you.

The blood count of the guy who shot you seems particularly out of place. Even next to all information about the life of this "unknown" bandit.

You don't know his name, but you know pretty much everything he got up to for the last 2 weeks.

Too much information regarding your own death and who killed you would only serve to make DayZ feel more arcadey, it wouldn't have the same impact as the blunt "YOU ARE DEAD" screen.

• Like 1

I like everything about it.

The blood count of the killer is particularly interesting, because I'd like to know whether those last few shots I took connected, and if before my own demise I'd mortally wounded him.

As one of those who survive for weeks or more at a time, I'd like to read something about my accomplishments in that life I just lost. It would give me something as a benchmark to try and surpass.

I'm sure the bandit types would rather you just saw "You are dead" as it is - they probably revel in the thought of you receiving that cold impersonal message.

(hmm... can bandits "revel", or can they only "engage in depraved debauchery" ?

I'm sure the bandit types would rather you just saw "You are dead" as it is - they probably revel in the thought of you receiving that cold impersonal message.
I play as a hero, and would rather see new content lead DayZ away from the deathmatching mess it has become recently.

This "story" screen would not suit a survival scenario if it's main focus is to tell you all about who killed you and how.

Yes, an indication of your achievements for your last life would give people something to improve upon, but this seems geared entirely towards PvP, which should be avoided.

I'm sure you think it's wonderful, and it's just what DayZ needs. Luckily, so far, it seems Rocket knows better.

• Like 1

Well, it's a suggestion so both "I don't like" and "I like this but not" and "Awesome" is welcome :)

thats good, my only criticism is it shows too much info on how you died

• Like 1

I support this. However, little to no info on the bandit that killed you should show up. it should be nothing more than "You Were Killed by a Bandit" or "You Were Killed by a Zombie" or "You Were Killed by A Door" :P

From reddit (http://www.reddit.co...w_death_screen/):

SuperSarcasticZombie 1 minute ago sen

I really liked the range info. That will pretty much tell us if a friend shot us for lolz or on accident. This could go a long way in building trust, and paranoia.

We wouldn't want this information to show up too quickly though as anyone using a third party voice chat could relay it back to their team. Maybe the info could slowly populate after a few minutes or so for those patient enough.

This seems like a nice idea. Some info at the time, I mean, if you spawn and get killed instantly when unarmed most of this info is pretty useless, but if you have been killed after days, weeks or even months of survival this can be a sweet addition, so maybe a 2-3 minute timer on most of the info?

Edited by figge

Maybe, have you played some rogue like rpgs, the diablo one is nice and that 2d zombie one is awesome, in the end they dont give you much information but they give you something of a score, this could be good for making people proud and the computer could keep track to all the previous lives of the player, i dont see much downside to it, just that it shouldnt reveal much about the enemy or give many detailed informations about your life. I dont know, this should be balanced out but as i have read somewhere the hive keeps track of all information

Im gonna give you my beans just because you bothered to go to photoshop and make an example of the death screen you had in mind :D

• Like 3

I like it but make both sides be happy.

Show the YOU ARE DEAD screen for 60 seconds then shot the info and acheivements.

it wont allow for quick voip info, you still get the punctual feeling from YOU ARE DEAD it has people you helped and killed and zombies you murdered.

I really really like it

I´d like to see amount of zombies killed, survivors, bandits, humanity (those basic things), a list of weapons I´ve used that life, maybe a dropdown box for that. Maybe even how many bullets fired, or just those basic things that YOUR character would know.

As for who killed you, how you died, so on and forth, when you find a body you can do "Study Body", but right now it´s useless, I´d like to see that show info like size of bullet, direction of the killer (from blood splatter), if he had diseases, information like that. Just, it shouldn´t show weapon you got killed of, because nobody can look at a dead person and know that he was killed by an M4 CCO, because the CCO use the same bullets as the regular M4, both m1911 and Revolver use .45, etc.

I like it. Like other people have said it gives too much info on your killer and it's a bit too PvP focused but I'd be happy to see a polished version of this in the game.

Agree I like it a lot, but it shouldn't grant you any information about you killer, you can ghost/relay to your team mates.

I also love the graphical layout, since the old goth death screen has outlived it's purpose.

Just imagine the Heavy saying 'Not big surprise' every time you die.

Maybe even put his face in the corner.

I actually like the 'You are Dead' screen and how simple it is. The one suggested certainly gives away too much info on the killer.

Edited by James Ashwood
  • Like 2

I'm one of those who actually like the "You are Dead" screen. I was so glad to NOT see any stats at the end of my life. I know how I lived it and don't need useless stats filling up my screen and giving all the little kiddies something to enlarge their e-peens.

Take away all the text and just leave the pics with "You are Dead" I could live with that!

• Like 1

Take away all the text and just leave the pics with "You are Dead" I could live with that!

No you couldn´t, because you are dead.

• Like 3

No, because there can be situations where there are a group of players, and one of them decides to take one of them out for some reason. If that player that was killed knows how he died, and by what weapon then that would ruin it for the first guy.

I'm one of those who actually like the "You are Dead" screen. I was so glad to NOT see any stats at the end of my life. I know how I lived it and don't need useless stats filling up my screen and giving all the little kiddies something to enlarge their e-peens.

Well, if something like this was added there could always be a "Grumpy Old Man"-option for those who don't care about stats. I'm one of those kiddies who love stats, i can sit in excel for hours, check my battlefield account etc. just because i love stats. Im soon thirty and the thing i love about stats is that you can see progress. As it is now i only know that i have survied at a maximum time of about X hours, killed about Y zombies and a maximum of Z bandits. I wan't to know that i get better in a game.

DayZ is about survival, and I want to see if i get better at it.

First of all, this was one of the best presented ideas I've seen in a while! The 'death screen' you produced looks great.

I agree with the consensus about it showing too much info about the person who killed you. Perhaps just have 'Bandit' , 'Survivor' , 'Zombie' , 'Hero' , 'Environment' , 'Cold' , 'Disease' and perhaps 'Sniper'.

The distance walked, zombies killed, etc should definitely remain along with the epic text on the left (but adjusted a little to remove any potentially important info on the player who killed you.) Vehicles driven would be nice as well.

A 30 second long window of the 'you are dead screen' should show before this screen shows to keep the 'shock' of seeing it etc. During this time anyone who doesn't particularly want to see their stats can abort the normal way. You could also screen shot the new death screen for bragging rights or for finishing your DayZ diary with if that way inclined.

:beans: Have my beans.

• Like 3

I agree with the consensus about it showing too much info about the person who killed you. Perhaps just have 'Bandit' , 'Survivor' , 'Zombie' , 'Hero' , 'Environment' , 'Cold' , 'Disease' and perhaps 'Sniper'.

I actually had the Zombie, Cold etc. in mind. Though never wrote it down. I see that many people is very "Anti-Stats", but from the reddit thread most are positive at some of the suggestions i put in the concept.