Lukin (DayZ)

Realistic helicopter control simulation

Do you like the idea?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the idea?

• Yes
    • Don't know
    • No

What I suggest is more for the standalone: increase the realism of helicopter controls. BIS have this Take on Helicopter game, DayZ uses it's engine, it has all the flight models ready for this. You just need to gently tie it into DayZ helicopters.

PROS:

1) Following a common sense and authenticity ask yourself, who of us, non-pilots imagines what should he do after entering a helicopter cockpit? Who would be able to do a simple hover at first, second or even a third attempt? Not to mention complex manoeuvring and landing. Helicopter is much more difficult to control than a plane.

2) Experienced pilot-players will be of more value, while non-pilots will have to literally LEARN how to control this thing or ignore a fully repaired helicopter even if they find it. Because they risk being killed in a crash as in real life.

3) Skilled pilots can teach beginners for food and ammo.

4) Game gets harder! You all wanted it and it is a fair point to increase difficulty.

CONS:

None that I can observe.

P.s. We will need to implement taking over controls by a second pilot in case the first is killed as it is implemented in ShackTack LittleBird enhancements mod and still not implemented in vanilla Arma2.

Edited by -=PA=-Mikhail
  • Like 5

I think people have a hard enough time flying helichoppers, and an even harder time finding and repairing it.

• Like 1

they say in take on helicopters most people simply cant pilot, if they bring this to dayz, people will cry for a tutorial, but if its not as hard maybe they could continue without a tutorial

they say in take on helicopters most people simply cant pilot, if they bring this to dayz, people will cry for a tutorial, but if its not as hard maybe they could continue without a tutorial

Personally I think that's the way it should be. It would be great if they made every aspect of the game harder so that different people have different skills just like it would be in real life. As it stands we're all superhuman soldiers with medical degrees and expert mechanics. It's a bit weird...

Yes, flying helicopters in game should be really really hard and require training. Pilots in-game would have real value.

Also, no tutorials for DayZ, ever. Learning stuff on your own was amazing the first week of playing.

In real life I wouldn't have any idea what I would be doing, other than increasing the throttle and controlling the helicopter. (Which would go terribly wrong)

Edited by Sutinen

Agreed, harder you can get it the better... now its so damn easy that you can do it hands behind your back.

Basic startup prosedure doesnt woudnt make the flying any harder... only few seconds more to get it of the ground but would be something that I would like to see also.

And at flight the heli is much like plane with its movement, hovering and slow flight is again what makes it harder.

ps. atm the repairing is also damn easy, you can do it with 2 people in few hours.. speacilly in server that has lower trafic

Edited by Zeppa

Hopefully the land vehicles will have gears as well. A big truck or bus is pretty difficult to drive and that should be represented in the game. Drive on the wrong gear for to long and watch your engine go up in smokes. Run out of fuel? No problem, put the car out of gear and push it. Or light in on fire and push it down a hill to create a distraction. :)

Wouldnt people just buy take on helicopters and learn to fly in it before attempting to fly in the standalone?

If intense training is needed for flying choppers, then those doing the training will not live long, players I have seen are always shooting choppers. The harder the training the more likely the pilot will be shot, after the time it takes for repair and filling up!

Only experienced pilots will benefit from the choppers, but then again so would everyone eventually! You gotta learn somehow, would rocket include a armoury type of gameplay in the SA?

Hell Yeah! Could be a way to put money into BI's pocket by making you buy TOH to learn to fly them first.But that might piss some people off.Then again you could just watch this video....

Edited by wolfstriked

Well, if there is no armory mode like there is in ArmA 2, then everyone coming into the game who didn't buy the mod gets a massive "fuck you" and is grounded until he crashes 20 helis learning to fly. What would having no tutorial add to the game; if you played the mod and you can fly, you aren't going to play it :D

Also, with doors being lethal and zombies taking 5s to fall over after being shot and other bugs, there are more important things to worry about than helicopters ;)