Sign in to follow this  
TOPMO3

Standalone Discussion/Critique from an Old DayZ Fan.

Agree with everything except sprinting zombies, and 5-6 hit death.

Atm some zombies almost match your running speed, but not your sprinting speed. Seems easy now just to sprint past them, but when they add more zombies and getting tired effect, apparently even a heart attack is in plans, it wont be as busy.

Strongly against 5-6 hits resulting in player death, mainly because this is an online game, and server lag occurs frequently, so i really dont want to die because of this. Just take a look at infestation, they have 3 -4 hit approx, and death always results due to lag and glitches. I think zombies are fine the way they are now, maybe reduce their supervision, at the moment as long as nothing obstructs their vision, they will see you a km away, makes it hard to sneak around because they see you way before you even make it to a town and buildings.

Also why dont they concentrate on fixing zombies glitching through walls its a big game

aka you want easier zombies?

go back to your cod zombies or resident evil bullshit.

@topic

i'm all on for 3~4 hit kill from a zombie, they just need to stop clipping through walls, but it will never happen, so no better zambies.

All people here are suggesting shorter nights, easier zombies, more loot, what the fuck.

seems that standalone wasnt a good thing for the community at all.

In the end well end up like a WoW with zombies or something, with people joining "raid finder" to raid elektro for an epic quality m4 or something like that.

Edited by lipemr

@Jexter

I really like your idea considering the night/day cycle. If we had like 5h day (including dawn periods) and 2h night, coupled with playable nights people might be more willing to play at night. Especially to prevent beeing shot at. 

Considering "gamma-cheating" there was some talk about a system from Arma 3 that can circumvent that, so nights can become  just a little brighter without people beeing able to make day out of it via gamma-regulation.

(When i talk about more playable nights, i refer to several complaints about them beeing too dark. I never played at night so far, since pretty much all servers are day-only atm.)

I gotta add that I also doubt whether the addition of night vision goggles would be a good idea. It might be too much of an advantage and turn the night into a even larger slaughter than the day.

If they decide to implement them however, they should be rare and hard to maintain.

Edited by Buffaloe

Hi there.

Before I go into my thoughts and feelings on the current build of the game (0.34.115106), I'd like to give a quick introduction to myself, how I've contributed to the DayZ community, why I play DayZ, and why I feel so strongly about this game, and it's current state.

My name is TOPMO3, and I've been playing the early Mod of DayZ for Arma 2 since May 2012. Being a 3D artist, and an avid enthusiast of games in general, I lent my skills to create custom textures for the DayZ mod. The Forum topic received over 40K views, and still remains one of the top 5 most viewed topics on the Suggestions Sub-Forum on forums.dayzgame.com. My hope was that the textures would be put into the game by the devs, but they never were. Oh well :)

Although it may not matter, I should also mention that I work as an FX Artist in the video game industry for one of the more successful MMO companies, and I have had lots of discussions on DayZ with some of our most senior game designers, who all agree about DayZ's potential.

I play DayZ because I think it's one of the most original and exciting games I have played in a long, long time. It's hard for me to be truly excited about games (mostly because everything is a copy of a copy now a days), and DayZ really has a freshness to it that is second to none. At least that's how I felt about the mod, when I started playing it.

As with any new game, once the first week or so is over, and you become more and more familiar with the mechanics, some of the "magic" seems to go away. DayZ was no different, but it somehow still kept being interesting through it's persistent game-play, and it's constant level of "threat" that the player would feel. Either from the very scary (back in the early days) Zombies, other players, or just the foreboding environment (remember the really dark nights?)

I eventually stopped playing the mod because of the Hackers, and waited patiently for the Standalone to come out, hoping this would be the game I was hoping it could be. After playing the stand-alone with my friends for about a week, I wanted to come here and offer my views on the direction of the new game, and hopefully have a conversation with some of you, to see how everyone else feels about it. 

I am currently playing on a full Hardcore server. I feel like Hardcore lends itself better to the tension of the game by removing the 3rd person camera. Yes, I am strongly against the 3rd person camera and it's for a good reason. 1st person prevents cute "cheats" like peeking around corners, or looking into rooms with the floating camera. It completely removes any sense of tension by making you feel like you're a ghost floating around your character.

I also chose HC server because I was hoping the "threat" (more on this later) would feel more significant in Hardcore mode.

I'll start with my biggest complaint at the moment. 

This "Survival" game, doesn't feel very much like a survival game at all. Let me be clear. The only sense of survival you feel currently, is in the first 15-30 minutes of a fresh play through. Either after you're dead, or if you started a new character, etc. When you have no food, no water, and no way of defending yourself, it truly feels pretty interesting in the "Survival" sense. Zombies can be somewhat of a problem, however, after acquiring any semblance of a weapon (hammer, machete, axe), zombies become a complete joke, and are easily disposed of. Even on the hardcore server, the only thing you have to worry about at the moment is another player, finding something sharp to open cans with, and finding water. 

I don't feel threatened, and the tension in the current build is almost non-existent, if you disregard PvP, which has always been great in DayZ.

At the moment, the average game play feels roughly like this: 30 minutes of initial looting for food/water/weapon. Next 2-3 hours moving "north". Looting all the cool "stuff" you need. Spending a few days running around looking for action/loot. Eventually either dying to another player, or becoming so disinterested in empty towns, and your full backpack of useless stuff, that you move back to the coast, and kill new players. 

There is nothing for me to feel scared of outside of town. There is nothing stopping me from sitting in the woods all day, and moving into town only for food/water (when Hunting comes, this will eliminate that all together), and eventually, there will be no reason for me to play at all. Camps will help, so will vehicles, but eventually, those will just be hoarded into the woods by groups of players (as they were in the Mod), and there they will sit. Again, there is nothing "threatening" in the current build of the game, and I am confused why in the alpha (when the features of the game are being implemented), these core game play issues haven't been addressed.

I have seen that Dean has mentioned the complete lack of zombies in level, and that they are trying to optimize the zombie to loot spawn ratio, making sure the servers can handle the loads, but what happened to the scary zombies in DayZ mod, that would swarm you, break your legs, and leave you for dead? Am I missing something?

Did anyone remember crawling around zombies, as not to startle them, because that meant your immediate death? Right now I run past them with a "lol" and just cut the corner, and that's it. Zombies are currently a joke to me (sorry for the emotional response, but it's sad to see the state of the zombie in this game become what it has after a much more interesting version of them in the mod, which was 2 years ago!)

Please allow me now to be much more constructive with my thread. What I think would greatly help make this game a truly unique experience and incredibly challenging, fun, and original?

Please reconsider the "Threat" mechanic in the game. I don't mean the LoS for zombies, or aggro here. I mean the feeling a player has of impending "threat" to his life/safety/survival. Currently, this only happens during PvP, and outside of cities, there is ZERO threat from anything else.

Here are some suggestions I have for this

1) Bring back scary zombies. They have to be fast, they have to be plenty, they have to 2-3 hit break your legs, and 5-6 hit kill you. Make them hear you again (seems like only LoS agro right now), and make them chase you and keep track of you for longer. The player has to feel like there is a constant "threat" of zombies in the world. This is absolutely crucial. The zombies must be the mechanic in this game that is constant, and terrifying. With the right implementation, I honestly feel like it's this mechanic that can actually get players to work more together, instead of KOS each other. If the zombies are such a threat, that players have a hard time surviving solo encounters with several of them. Group survival should be more successful. I am honestly hoping this is the end goal for the devs, I just really rather see more talk in the Dev blogs about this, than cooking. Because cooking is a neat "feature" that I can live without. Having zombies that don't work, or are a lol-factor, is game-breaking for me, in a zombie apocalypse simulator.

2) Threat in the wild. Dean has mentioned wandering zombie packs in the woods, and I think this is %100 must happen. Currently there is no threat at all in the woods, and that takes away from the overall tension the player feels. If you have a gun, food/water/meds, you can live in the woods indefinitely and see zero action. Zero action gives way to only one direction, heading into town and killing other players. There is nothign else to really "survive" against. You live long enough to become the villain. Which is why I think with the addition of Hunting, wild aggressive animals are a MUST. How would you feel about being ambushed in the night by a charging boar (it's eyes glinting from your flashlight), or a pack of wolves, or a bear? Even a harmless skunk or badger might scare the crap out of you. The feeling of "threat" in the woods would be significantly higher. Right now woods = safety. This should NOT be the case. Again, while seeing the devs work on cool new features, I think the sense of tension is much more important to the shelf-life of this game, than say, a physics system that lets you throw your beans at zombies.

3) No Night Vision Goggles, or Thermal Optics. Not now, not ever, please remove these mechanics from the game. As someone who has owned every item in the mod, I have to tell you that these items break the game, and break it badly. Players stop playing at night because they are terrified of someone on this server who has these items (even if anyone actually does or not). Full servers become empty, and the player with the NVG is forced to hop servers. Bring back the flares, bring back the glow sticks, and keep the flashlights. Those things create tension and fun. NVGs create irrational fear, and take the challenge out of the game. Remember when you first started playing, and you'd see those red flare glows in a town? Or active glow sticks on the ground in your area, that created tons of tension. Getting 1-shotted at night by a NVG sniper doesn't create any tension, just poor gameplay.

I have lots of other complaints at the moment but I think everyone does, and they are getting sorted out by the Devs. Speaking of which, huge respect to the whole team, and the people working on making this game great. It can be a one-of-a-kind game, I truly feel that way. I am hoping that the core mechanics that really make this game new and interesting are what get the most attention from the community and the devs. I will continue to play this game, and hope for the great changes, but I feel that unless the game addresses the issues I brought up, it will still suffer from the same problems the Mod suffered from. As my friend put it "I just looted the airfield, what do I do now?" syndrome.

This game is best when you're threatened, and you have to survive. Please bring back the threat that made me fall in love with this game.

Thank you for reading the wall of text. Feel free to discuss/comment/flame.

TOPMO3

I agree with the majority of your post, but 1PP does not remove the ability to peek through walls:

9GgsyTI.jpg

EDIT: Because beans.

Edited by Grimey Rick

I agree with the majority of your post, but 1PP does not remove the ability to peek through walls:

9GgsyTI.jpg

That's a genuine bug and doesn't work everywhere unlike the exploitable 3PP which can be and completely changes the pace of the gameplay. It can likely be fixed by disallowing players to lean into walls similar to how vaulting was recently change in experimental (you can no longer vault jump with objects directly in front of the character).

Inb4

1PP is clunky

It makes me feel motion sick excuses

Edited by -lOldBoyl-

3) No Night Vision Goggles, or Thermal Optics. Not now, not ever, please remove these mechanics from the game. As someone who has owned every item in the mod, I have to tell you that these items break the game, and break it badly. Players stop playing at night because they are terrified of someone on this server who has these items (even if anyone actually does or not). Full servers become empty, and the player with the NVG is forced to hop servers. Bring back the flares, bring back the glow sticks, and keep the flashlights. Those things create tension and fun. NVGs create irrational fear, and take the challenge out of the game. Remember when you first started playing, and you'd see those red flare glows in a town? Or active glow sticks on the ground in your area, that created tons of tension. Getting 1-shotted at night by a NVG sniper doesn't create any tension, just poor gameplay

Could not agree more with this specifically. Also find myself on board with your main premise of Threat - Survival driving the gameplay experience, even if we aren't in 100% alignment on the Hows and Whats of it

• Like 1

It should be that every time a zombie hits you, something gets ruined.  There's been a couple of times when I wasn't paying attention and a zombie hit me, checked my gear and everything was fine.  That shouldn't happen.  The hits should damage gear.

I would love to see gear get damaged from zombie hits! This would work well to ruin gear that you have, and force you to cycle your equipment. 

As for zeds, they don't offer a decently geared player much challenge at the moment but they're simply not complete.  There is work to be done on that front and I expect them to change quite a bit over the next six to twelve months.  A lot of players never get to experience them properly because other players decimate their numbers shortly after a server restart.  They will respawn, eventually, and that'll offer quite a bit of challenge, especially when their AI and pathing gets some real attention.  Until then, I'll wait for diseases, wish for randomly damaged wells, and box zeds like a young Mike Tyson while mocking their inability to get up in direct chat.

I applaud your ability to create challenges for yourself, I think that's pretty cool. However, I think your solution, while very clever, is a work-around for what I consider pretty bad core game play design right now. I think #1 priority is to fix zombie collisions and agro system, then make them much more threatening and numerous. 

I don't really think you can call using TS or any other external means of communication "cheating". When you develop a multiplayer game (/mod) you should and most likely will always assume that people use those to play with their friends. People not doing that is close to unthinkable.

What can't be circumvented has to be accepted and compensated for in another way.

I agree. To me Mumble, TS, Vent are all just a convenience tool. I would rather be playing with my friends in the same room, but I can't so I use software that simulates the experience.

Saying that it's detrimental to certain aspects of DayZ, I don't know if I buy that. That's like saying having an "Undo" button in photoshop is detrimental to your skills as a painter, because you don't have to "Repaint" or "paint over" your mistake. It's a matter of convenience.

Regarding nights, OP didn't mention the most important current problem which is gamma exploitation. We can't have a proper night scenario until that crap is fixed. 

I was around in the Mod days when this was an exploit that everyone used, myself included. Gamma exploitation became pretty bad, and people either didn't play on night servers, or you did, and you used the trick. If this can be locked down, make night visibility just slightly better than pitch black (more so on full-moon days), and allow for readily available illumination (Flashlights, glowsticks, flares) I would play on nights exclusively. They're much more fun imo.

We can't have wall clipping/floating/sinking/teleporting zombies that kill you in a few hits.

I prefer my Dayz experience to be player driven not scripted ai. The goal is 150 players on a server all adding to the story, hell even writing it. There's no way (in this or any game) ai can ever replace the random nature of a human so the less time and resources spent on it the better.

I do agree that currently the Z's are next to useless and frankly might as well not even be there. Even on experimental, where they respawn on you, they pose little threat. But I totally disagree that they need to focus on it as to me, Dayz will always be about you and your interaction with others and not about a scripted event or ai.

%100 agree on the clipping/floating/sinking/teleporting zombies. If they make the zombies as I requested, and there are still these issues, it would break the game to no end. Agree that the collision issues should be #1 priority.

I also prefer for my DayZ experience to be player driver, and I never said anything about scripted AI. I just think overall there should be more stuff to be afraid of, other than a group of bandits. Currently there is nothing threatening to me except other players. If as a player, I chose to play this game lone-wolf style, and never interacted with other players at all, currently, I would have ZERO game play, because there is nothing for me to fear out in the woods. That's bad.

Granted, we've NEVER had threatening zombies, ever. Not even with the mod. So it's still (unfortunately) a bit premature to dismiss them in favor of player interaction.

I can't see a way in which player interaction would be degraded by the zombies getting a bit of love.

Amen dude. I would go a step further and say that if you made zombies a true force of nature, and something to be feared, players might even work together more to survive encounters with them.

Instead of shooting at each other in a zombie-infested town, they might declare a temporary cease-fire (shooting a gun around a horde of zombies = instant agro and death), and work together to loot supplies, before leaving town. Remember the days of early Mod, when people would KOS, shoot someone, and then themselves get eaten by an instant mob of zombies who heard the shot? Good times...

Regardless, I don't think anyone here is suggesting having an uber-zombie which requires mutiple mags of 7.62x39 to bring down, as would be the case with the Bloodsucker. This is actually an approach which I despise, having more powerful hyper-zombie types (a la L4D). However, as was done in DayZ+, simply upping the damage that zombies inflict to a more appropriate (and threatening) amount worked wonders in making zombies a threat.

Couple that with larger numbers, respecting game boundaries, and variations in speed, I think zombies would become a force to reckon with. Rather than a passive non-issue or an occasional annoyance. It would obviously have to be offset with a revamped zombie aggro system (i.e. having zombies actually respect players who're prone OR an AI revamp which is similar to the way police work in GTA) that would allow the player to mitigate/manage zombie aggro. But, I certainly think it's worth the time they're spending on it just getting the zombies performing correctly (much less with regard to balance).

Agree with all of these things. I would not want to see a "Tank" or a "Special Infected" type of mechanic get introduced, because that would be silly, but all other aspects of zombie mechanics need serious work, and would really help make this game great.

Strongly against 5-6 hits resulting in player death, mainly because this is an online game, and server lag occurs frequently, so i really dont want to die because of this. Just take a look at infestation, they have 3 -4 hit approx, and death always results due to lag and glitches. 

Hadn't considered that, you may be right. Server stability would need to become dramatically better for something like this to be possible. But even with lag, making something very difficult could add another layer of pressure on the player. "Do I sit outside of town and starve, or do I go inside, and face the horde of zombies on a laggy server..." lol maybe, maybe not.

Critiquing DayZ in its current state is analogous to critiquing a film based upon a few disparate unedited scenes. 

LOL really? Let me quote Dean...

Is it worth to buy this game now?

For the current game? No

For the price? No (it will stay this price for some time)

To see the game? No (you can watch streams)

To participate in development? Possibly

I am criticizing the game BECAUSE it's in it's current state. THIS is the exact time when you need this sort of feedback from the community. THIS is the time when you have these discussion, and make these decisions.

They should make the day cycles shorter, like 7 hours with 2 hours night time and the ability to see in it like you say above. Not perfect vision but enough to see around.

I am ALL for shortening the day/night cycle. I am fine with 2 hours dawn, 4 hours day, 2 hours dusk, 4 hours night. I don't think less time at night is a good thing. Making part of the cycle shorter is an admission to the player that it's an afterthought. It also punishes players who enjoy night time. 

I think make night time playable by removing the gamma exploit, make visibility better (but please not like daytime but dark blue filter :) ) decrease visibility distance maybe, allow the player to make out detail but only within a certain radius of himself. 30-50 feet at best? Past that, make the player rely on items to see better. Flashlights, etc as I mentioned earlier.

I don't think the problems are as basic as 'make the zombies harder' and 'remove military loot'.

Give geared players something to do and strive to keep the game realistic. IRL, someone who can loot their local NG armory, police station, etc. would not just camp in the woods to kill someone for their 1 can of beans or for fun. They'd move on to find more people to group with and start to re-take a town.That needs to be the end-game focus, not just pvp.

I agree %100 on the "no end-game" aspect, and yes, having things to do with your better loot is interesting. I think you're saying there isn't much to do right now because there really isn't. Unless you're in a town, there's nothing scary about this game. No animals, no wandering threats, nothing. The most scary thing that can happen when you're outside of a town, is get sniped by a passing player (one in a thousand chance in this huge map), or fall on broken Geo and break your legs. Maybe starve. If there was a more constant and persistent threat, something that's always on your tail, maybe zombies spawn randomly everywhere, then slowly shuffle towards the nearest player. Keep the player moving etc. Something to think about...

I gotta add that I also doubt whether the addition of night vision goggles would be a good idea. It might be too much of an advantage and turn the night into a even larger slaughter than the day.

If they decide to implement them however, they should be rare and hard to maintain.

I hate NVGS. I owned several pairs, and Thermal guns too. The game became incredibly boring. I turtled up because I didn't want to lose them, and the game play vanished for me.

That's a genuine bug and doesn't work everywhere unlike the exploitable 3PP which can be and completely changes the pace of the gameplay. It can likely be fixed by disallowing players to lean into walls similar to how vaulting was recently change in experimental (you can no longer vault jump with objects directly in front of the character).

3PP is ridiculously exploitable. Your character can literally see around corners without ever showing himself. How is this a good thing? 

Yes the 1PP has it's issues with seeing through walls, but I think this is much easier fixed. It's a z-draw issue on the geometry, and you can't really exploit it past that once it's fixed.

Could not agree more with this specifically. Also find myself on board with your main premise of Threat - Survival driving the gameplay experience, even if we aren't in 100% alignment on the Hows and Whats of it

Thanks, it took me quite a while to think what the real problem with the game was, and I think this summed up the huge aspect for me.

The crashes, glitches, lag, disappearing items, zombie collision, teleportation, inventory system, broken spawns. For these complains ONLY will I accept that "IT'S A FUCKING ALPHA" excuse. Because all of those things are code/optimization/hotfix issues, and are being worked at, and WILL get fixed.

The core gameplay design, in my opinion, isn't there yet, and I hope that it gets more attention.

MORE ZOMBIES!!!!  HARDER ZOMBIES!!!!!

I think you are forgetting that they are new players and mostly a lot of people still learning how to play.

Can you imagine buying a game (alpha), trying to figure out what's going on (because you didn't play ARMA 2 or the mod), and getting instantly killed by one zombie because you are a fresh spawn and have nothing?

Forget about being able to run from zombies on an empty server so you can finally get to a town that hasn't already been picked clean.  Nobody is going to help anybody...fresh spawns would be dying by the 9000s to zombies and KOSers.

The attrition from those people will far outnumber the people leaving because they are bored.  I've been playing a lot, I was bored for a little bit, but I still play.  If you are bored, you should try hunting bandits and murderers.  Seek out action...don't diddle with yourself in the woods and complain there's no threat.

Jump on a full 40 player server and look for other players.  The friendly and hostile confrontations are what this game is about and that's where the risk versus reward is.

Dark Souls throws you into the game and shows you no mercy, and that may be the single most reason it has been so successful.

Dark Souls throws you into the game and shows you no mercy, and that may be the single most reason it has been so successful.

he must be that kind of guy that complain when a game has no retarded-friendly tutorials before the action.

AKA casual, AKA the plague of the modern game industry.

I'm baffled how people are saying anything in this game should be nerfed. This game was successful BECAUSE of it's brutal difficulty, and no-hand-holding approach.

People who remember the early days of the mod will understand, and agree. People who expect the stand-alone (a game which was born OUT of the success of the mod) to be somehow more appealing to "newer" players, must not see how this game's difficulty is essential to it's appeal.

• Like 1

I'm baffled how people are saying anything in this game should be nerfed. This game was successful BECAUSE of it's brutal difficulty, and no-hand-holding approach.

How do you think WoW got to have 13 millions players?  Here's a hint, it wasn't because it was difficult :p

Simple things amuse simple people.

he must be that kind of guy that complain when a game has no retarded-friendly tutorials before the action.

AKA casual, AKA the plague of the modern game industry.

I love the false self-esteem that video games give certain people.  All you are a bunch of people who have too much time on their hands.

You think figuring out how to play DayZ is some proof that you are a genius.  Please.

Edited by DayZ_Friendly

How do you think WoW got to have 13 millions players?  Here's a hint, it wasn't because it was difficult :P

Says the guy getting his proof that he's intelligent from a video game.

People who remember the early days of the mod will understand, and agree. People who expect the stand-alone (a game which was born OUT of the success of the mod) to be somehow more appealing to "newer" players, must not see how this game's difficulty is essential to it's appeal.

It was never a game before, dork.  It was a mod.

Edited by DayZ_Friendly

Clearly read comprehension is not your strong suite

@topic

i'm all on for 3~4 hit kill from a zombie, they just need to stop clipping through walls, but it will never happen, so no better zambies.

All people here are suggesting shorter nights, easier zombies, more loot, what the fuck.

In the end well end up like a WoW with zombies or something, with people joining "raid finder" to raid elektro for an epic quality m4 or something like that.

Never said wanted "easier" zombies, leave them as they are, never played resident evil or cod, perhaps you should have read all of my post before rushing to put me down. At least I gave reasons why I believe something would or wouldn't work, have you?

It's a discussion forum we are allowed to discuss what we believe would work and what wouldn't. Just because you don't like someone's idea, it doesn't mean you should tell them to go away.

Pls tell me why would hard zombies be a good idea, especially in a glitchy server? Will you be happy when you die due to server lag?

TOPMO3, on 18 Mar 2014 - 8:06 PM, said:snapback.png

People who remember the early days of the mod will understand, and agree. People who expect the stand-alone (a game which was born OUT of the success of the mod) to be somehow more appealing to "newer" players, must not see how this game's difficulty is essential to it's appeal.

Were you talking about the game here or the mod.  Derp.

Also, it's reading comprehension, not read comprehension.  Just sayin'.

It's also "strong suit", not a hotel "suite."

Edited by DayZ_Friendly

DayZ_friendy, really? So many posts just to nitpick or insult people? That's not very friendly! (badumm-ts)

Why can't we concentrate the discussion on the content of the game?

I agree, the game should be very hard and unforgiving. There are not enough games like that out there nowadays.

It might be harsh for new players, but after reading/watching basic stuff on the internet and dying a few times people should get a basic idea.

Furthermore, the harder the game is, the greater the joy of staying alive. Maybe less people will go full rambo then ^^

@topic

I'm all for tougher zombies by far. Make one bite infect and kill you imo. I want it so I have to avoid them or take out a select few so I can weave a path through them all. Make it a challenge to get through a city and if you fuck up, you better have a good escape plan.

As for nights, why would we want 8 hour long nights? Why would you be awake during the night? It makes no logical sense at all. Shorter nights however make it that people know they're not agonizingly long and are more likely to stay on the server. There's no reason to have long nights and the server populations prove it. Very few people play on night servers and a 2 hour window gives plenty of time to people who like playing at night but also introduces it to other people that aren't crazy about it. Everyone also gets to experience morning and evenings with a 7 hour cycle. This seems to be the most logical choice I can think of to suit everyone rather than 99% of servers on a 24/7 mid day setting.

Personally I love the idea of planning a raid, say on a base or airfield, getting my mates in position just as twilight is falling and then moving in under cover of darkness. The NW airbase can easily take an hour to check every spawn location (unless you just leg it through) so 2 hours is plenty.

What do you need the extra night time for?

@Jexter

I really like your idea considering the night/day cycle. If we had like 5h day (including dawn periods) and 2h night, coupled with playable nights people might be more willing to play at night. Especially to prevent beeing shot at. 

Considering "gamma-cheating" there was some talk about a system from Arma 3 that can circumvent that, so nights can become  just a little brighter without people beeing able to make day out of it via gamma-regulation.

(When i talk about more playable nights, i refer to several complaints about them beeing too dark. I never played at night so far, since pretty much all servers are day-only atm.)

Yes I was thinking maybe 15 minutes "twilight" before sunrise and after sunset. I would still let the nights go really dark on moonless, cloud filled nights but I'd adjust the weather patterns so it wasn't so cloudy so these kind of nights would be rarer.

Not sure I want night vision. What does it achieve anyway? As soon as they introduce it you're going to know people have it and then you're at a disadvantage - it's literally like fighting a blindfolded man so why even introduce that (And I'll bet too that the people who find NVG's only ever take them to night servers so they can pwn people on them and will leave them in a stash at other times.

9GgsyTI.jpg

Errr.....but you can use that bug in a 3rd person server u just hit enter. This is not an argument "FOR" 3rd PP.

I love the false self-esteem that video games give certain people.  All you are a bunch of people who have too much time on their hands.

You think figuring out how to play DayZ is some proof that you are a genius.  Please.

Says the guy getting his proof that he's intelligent from a video game.

I so love internet tough guys , this guy is the classic dork who gets picked on his entire life, then he finds power at a key board on a game forum way to go champ ylour really showing them now :facepalm:

If the value of your contribution to the thread is basicly insults and passive agressive bull shit might as well get stepping son because if your adding 0 then that pretty much somes up your worth over all to the thread..

By all means be constructive in your critque of something but your just throwing bombs at people for nothing i here by change your name from dayz friendly to dayz tosser..

• Like 1

I am ALL for shortening the day/night cycle. I am fine with 2 hours dawn, 4 hours day, 2 hours dusk, 4 hours night. I don't think less time at night is a good thing. Making part of the cycle shorter is an admission to the player that it's an afterthought. It also punishes players who enjoy night time. 

I think make night time playable by removing the gamma exploit, make visibility better (but please not like daytime but dark blue filter :) ) decrease visibility distance maybe, allow the player to make out detail but only within a certain radius of himself. 30-50 feet at best? Past that, make the player rely on items to see better. Flashlights, etc as I mentioned earlier.

They'll just have to allow for all night servers then I guess. Trouble is, most people don't want to play at night and you're timings means that every day I get home from work, the same server will be the same time of day, everyday. Servers that have elongated nights don't get populated.

How do you think WoW got to have 13 millions players?  Here's a hint, it wasn't because it was difficult :P

I guess it depends on what BIS want. Do they want the money or do they want the game? Dean already tried to get CEO of BIS to make the game more expensive to buy and the CEO said no. They could have charged more but they decided not to so maybe Money isn't a huge priority for them (I know right, is that even believable? Doesn't it show how fucked up humanity is when the thought of a company doing something other than for money is completely unbelievable? ;))

When it comes to zombies, I think they should be "dumb". In other words, as long as you sneak/crawl and keep some distance you should be safe of beeing detected.

They can only sense you when you are very close or moving fast.

At the same time though the Zeds should be way stronger and harder to shake off. That would force players to be more careful, and you'd have to think very carefully before shooting in a town, since it would alarm the horde.

The zeds vision seems pretty borked at the moment, but i guess it's a major case of WIP.