Sign in to follow this  
bad_mojo (DayZ)

Sleeping

(suggestion for standalone mostly, doubt it could happen in the mod)

So how about this... when you decide to log off for the night, you have to make a camp and sleep. But, it wouldn't be a procedure for just logging off, rather your player would stay in the world until you came back.

Why? Well, it just seems so fake to despawn from the world and respawn the next day. Your character stays completely safe while you're offline. It goes against the nature of this game. The safest you can ever be in DayZ is to be logged out. Shouldn't you be safer when you're awake and alert?

Wouldn't it be great to stumble upon a campsite with multiple geared up survivors fast asleep? All their loot just sitting there for the taking? Or perhaps you get off on killing, so killing them becomes all that easier.

At the same time, wouldn't it be great if DayZ became more group oriented, and safe camps were setup and guarded at all times? Wouldn't something like this give more meaning to forming groups? People always claim they shoot on sight because other people aren't an asset, but if they helped keep you alive while you weren't online, would you be so quick to pull that trigger? Maybe they'll double cross you and steal all your stuff when you go to sleep, but that's all realistic human behavior.

I'm not really sure how this could be enforced without screwing people over all the time. Maybe give people a short period of time (1-3hrs) after quitting(without camping) to reconnect, after that their character gets wiped. But, that would still be aggravating for people who might lose power or internet randomly.

What do you guys think?

Edit: Since people are replying without reading any further, I just wanted to add that I think there should be a max time to sleep. Let's say 5 hours. After that your sleeping bag despawns and you're safe until you relog. I'm not trying to turn the game into a 24/7 career here, I just wanted to have sleeping become a part of surviving in dayz.

Edited by bad_mojo
  • Like 5

Terrible idea, what happens to players who can only play an hour each night or on the weekend? They constantly log back in to find they are dead?

• Like 3

You'd find a lot of sleeping people lying all over the ground, right?

Not really, if they slept in a vulnerable spot, they'd be killed/looted pretty quickly.

This would not work becuase i server has a select number of slots and these 'sleeping' players would take up those slots.

Imagine 40 people all asleep and no one else could join.

IMO this idea sucks.

Terrible idea, what happens to players who can only play an hour each night or on the weekend? They constantly log back in to find they are dead?

Maybe, or they could form or join a group that will defend the campsite.

This would not work becuase i server has a select number of slots and these 'sleeping' players would take up those slots.

Imagine 40 people all asleep and no one else could join.

IMO this idea sucks.

Okay, but, if I die and leave the server, does my body take up a slot? I don't think so.

When someone sleeps, a sleeping bag is deployed with a body in it, if the sleeping bag is 'killed' the hive is told that you died. The killer can then access your inventory in the sleeping bag. Or maybe even access your inventory without being killed, so you can rob sleeping people.

Edited by bad_mojo

Okay, but, if I die and leave the server, does my body take up a slot? I don't think so.

When someone sleeps, a sleeping bag is deployed with a body in it, if the sleeping bag is 'killed' the hive is told that you died. The killer can then access your inventory in the sleeping bag. Or maybe even access your inventory without being killed, so you can rob sleeping people.

Being punished if you leave to escape death is one thing. This sounds like being punished to leave at all. I don't have that kind of time.

• Like 2

Being punished if you leave to escape death is one thing. This sounds like being punished to leave at all. I don't have that kind of time.

It's actually kind of funny that you see removing an unrealistic part of DayZ as punishment.

What if I turned your argument around on you... why am I being punished constantly for playing so often? People that don't have as much time to play as I do are rewarded with magical security.

I suggested this because when I started playing DayZ you had to login and eat everyday or end up dying of hunger/thirst when you came back. I like this idea that even if I stopped playing, the game kept going, it created the idea of a living virtual world. So, I thought perhaps Rocket could build on that with a sleep mechanic.

I understand the concern about this suggestion, if we implemented this tonight on the mod, it would ruin a lot of peoples games. But, if something like this was built into the game over time, people would adapt and adjust their game accordingly.

We already have tents full of gear sitting there for the taking, I don't really see the issue with having players sitting there for the taking/killing. People can hide tents, why can't they hide a sleeping player?

This could possibly work, but it would need to be on private hives or something. Because I doubt a lot of people stay on one server all the time. And about the people who can't play hours on end, there should be "Hardcore Servers" for the players who can play a lot and "Regular Servers" for people who don't have as much time on their hands.

This could possibly work, but it would need to be on private hives or something. Because I doubt a lot of people stay on one server all the time. And about the people who can't play hours on end, there should be "Hardcore Servers" for the players who can play a lot and "Regular Servers" for people who don't have as much time on their hands.

I would love to see a hardcore mode in the standalone.

The thing with different servers, well, the body would stay on the server you camped at, but you could rejoin any server and it would disappear. I don't think it matters that you wouldn't pop into existence beside your sleeping bag, what matters is that your player was vulnerable on a server for the hours that you were not playing.

Edited by bad_mojo

why am I being punished constantly for playing so often? People that don't have as much time to play as I do are rewarded with magical security.

So punish all the players with jobs and responsibilities...

everytime a person joins they will be dead. how? midnight camp raiders that wait til everyone is logged off and loot every camp on the map. thats how i get all my top end gear. sure it takes away from "reality" but if all anyone had to look forward to when logging on is the shoreline, not very many people will be playing

So punish all the players with jobs and responsibilities...

everytime a person joins they will be dead. how? midnight camp raiders that wait til everyone is logged off and loot every camp on the map. thats how i get all my top end gear. sure it takes away from "reality" but if all anyone had to look forward to when logging on is the shoreline, not very many people will be playing

Maybe have the sleeping bag disappear 8-24 hours after it's placed, so people who don't return the next day aren't punished? You're focused too much on this being a punishment. They're not going to add a system that kills most people. Nor do I want that system.

I just dislike logging out, I've been in groups and when someone leaves for the night it just seems wrong in that setting. I've even considered laying in a forest one night to see if anyone kills me. But, then I would need to wake up every hour and put more wood piles on the fire :D or my character will freeze to death.

Sleeping is a big factor in real life survival. Lack of sleep can really affect your ability to survive. Perhaps instead of outright killing of a player in DayZ, it could have other effects. Like if you neglect to camp and leave for more than an hour, all your icons are flashing when you come back. 5k blood, starving, dehydrated, freezing to death, and a chance of catching cold/flu. If you make camp and use a sleeping bag, you come back just hungry, thirsty & cold. If you deploy a shelter you come back hungry.

Really I'm just suggesting sleep be a factor in dayz, I don't care how it happens, I have faith in Rockets judgement.

Edited by bad_mojo
  • Like 1

The idea itself, sleeping, is not a bad idea. But the constant thought, that you could die any moment while not playing, it's just to extreme. There are just too many players (I think the predominant part of the players) who got a job or responsabilities, like said before. I for one only play during the evening, for maybe 3 hours. Then my character would just be in the server for 21 hours. Not to mention the stress I'd have everytime I want to play a bit DayZ, I would never be able to quickly log out, for example when I'm needed irl. I'd always have to find a good spot to hide first, where I would be for almost 24 hours, and in servers where are 40-50 players in average that's quite dangerous.

So imo this will never make it's way, there are just too many players who couldn't afford it. But I'm looking forward for any similar realization.

It's actually kind of funny that you see removing an unrealistic part of DayZ as punishment.

What if I turned your argument around on you... why am I being punished constantly for playing so often? People that don't have as much time to play as I do are rewarded with magical security.

I suggested this because when I started playing DayZ you had to login and eat everyday or end up dying of hunger/thirst when you came back. I like this idea that even if I stopped playing, the game kept going, it created the idea of a living virtual world. So, I thought perhaps Rocket could build on that with a sleep mechanic.

I understand the concern about this suggestion, if we implemented this tonight on the mod, it would ruin a lot of peoples games. But, if something like this was built into the game over time, people would adapt and adjust their game accordingly.

We already have tents full of gear sitting there for the taking, I don't really see the issue with having players sitting there for the taking/killing. People can hide tents, why can't they hide a sleeping player?

I'd rather have a drowsiness mechanic instead. Everyone will have 16 or 18 hours of activity (may be shortened due to more strenuous physical activity) upon nearing the 16th hour, your character will feel drowsy. Then ultimately end up sleeping. Then you can only log in after 6-8 hrs of sleep. And no... your body won't be persistent. Think of it as a 6-8hr playing cooldown. Hehehe

YES! this idea is exellent but people should need to sleep anyway apart from when they log off. and if you log off in sleeping bag your hunger/thirst/warmth should not go down.

i think this idea would be cool because you would have to find a very good spot for your camp maybe a forest far away from villages and towns. and if you set up a camp you could just sit there and pile logs on the fire and plan your next move.

oh yeah radio sets should be added so you can upload a song into dayz and play it on your radio :)

if this was implemented, everyone would wake up dead, unless they were super lucky. We all know all places are being searched right now by thousands of players, its almost stupid to hope we will not be found, because we will be found and killed. Hoping that the victim will not wake up is something we cannot aford.

You're playing a game.

You have to assume responsibility for feeding and maintaining your character while playing, because that's when you've got the opportunity to improve your loot / do what you like.

Even food requirements while offline were removed, because some genius realised, DayZ can't be the sole focus of the lives of every person who plays it.

Since I've been playing on private hives, to follow your initial suggestion would mean there's a server where my @hive hero would have been sleeping in a shed in Stary for 3 weeks.

I don't want to log back in to see a partially decomposed guy holding a shotgun...

I agree with making sleep a necessary part of your characters health, but I think it could be better implemented via a requirement to choose to perform a "comfortable log out" (sleep) at a tent/campfire before you hit the 10hrs playtime mark, or suffer blurry vision/slowed movement/random passing out, any time over 10hrs, until the 10hr timer is reset with a "comfortable log out" and a passage of 10-15 minutes logged out. The fact it's a game should be taken into account, with hints towards realistic actions without it becoming unnecessarily convoluted at player's expense.

No body/sleeping bag should remain there for more than 15 minutes. If anyone has been stalking without you noticing, they should have the chance to take the advantage of your sleeping state for a short time. But 8-24 hours as you suggested is taking the piss, as any person could stumble upon you by chance during this time.

EDIT: Highlighted constructive feedback

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 5

I like the idea of sleeping but now how described in this thread. I have a job and social life and don't get to play as often as some do. What if I go on holiday and my player is sleeping for 2 weeks, what are the chances I'll be dead when I get back? Very high.

Sorry but idea is flawed

To the people who think everyone would end up dead... why aren't all tents found and emptied every night? What's to stop people from logging out on a low population server that might get only 10 people online in the next 8 hours.

Is it that hard to hide a sleeping bag in 225km2?

Edited by bad_mojo

*video that adds nothing to discussion*

I'm completely calm, just wanted to further discuss their thoughts on this subject.

As per your suggestions, well after playing for 10 hours the players are tired and experiencing fatigue themselves. So I find it rather pointless to simulate this in-game.

I don't really understand how having to sleep in a good spot will mean DayZ is the focus of the players life. Wouldn't it be the focus of the players last bit of play time? If they know they'll be getting off DayZ shortly, they'll have to find a suitable camp site, the next 8 hours are up to luck & good planning.

Having the time low (15minute suggestion) wouldn't work, because then people would just camp anywhere. The chances of someone stumbling onto you in 15minutes is pretty slim even in some of the most populated areas.

Edited by bad_mojo

The 10 hours before sleep is 10 hours of total play time, you could still just log out without sleeping at any time, but after 10 hours your character would need to sleep.

I don't really understand how having to sleep in a good spot will mean DayZ is the focus of the players life.

You obiously missed the point. People have better things to do with their time than log into a game to feed and water a virtual survivor who will stay where they logged out indefinitely.

This will take up server space.

It also entirely defeats the purpose of logging out, you might as well just leave your game running 24/7 and not play.

The chances of someone stumbling onto you in 15minutes is pretty slim even in some of the most populated areas.

If anyone has been stalking without you noticing, they should have the chance to take the advantage of your sleeping state for a short time.

What's to stop people from logging out on a low population server that might get only 10 people online in the next 8 hours.

Overall I tried to defend your suggestion and give constructive feedback, incase you didn't notice.

But you propose that people would play for hours, then log out, then log back into a different server, so they could log out?

Go lie down, I think you need a rest dude.

Sorry, I misread your comments about the 10 hours thing, I even realized I misunderstood you shortly after I responded, but I wasn't near the computer until now. While I understand what you're saying, I think a system like that wouldn't be intuitive for the user, it would require a countdown timer or something like that. And ultimately it would be boring when you have to sleep. Who wants to spend their gaming time watching a character sleep?

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I wanted people to log on and feed their character when not playing. That's not at all what I suggested. I did mention that type of system used to be part of DayZ. But, my suggestion was to punish people who didn't sleep properly with hunger, thirst etc. WHEN THEY RETURN.

When I first started playing DayZ, your hunger would continue after you logged off. BUT, it would only drain to flashing, you couldn't actually die while offline. This was easy to fix by keeping food and water on you when you logged off. So you logged on to see flashing hunger and thirst and simply had to eat and drink and then you were good to go.

Going back to my suggestion, I thought maybe that hunger (until flashing) system could be incorporated into the sleep mechanic, and depending on the quality of your sleep you would be punished accordingly.

I am in no way suggesting people who can't play everyday, twice a day, or whatever, be punished with death. I suggested having your body remain in the world for a duration(~8hrs) in which time someone could walk up and kill you. This would mean it's the same vulnerability duration if you leave for 8hrs (to sleep in real life) or a week.

When you decide to log off, you have to find a place that will be safe for the next 8 hours, if you decide the server you're in is too populated, you could join a low population server and sleep there. I didn't mention this because that is how it should be done, I mentioned it because that is exactly what a lot of people do with tents to avoid them being discovered & raided. It's an example of how playing it smart can prevent your death. You could also run outside the map and sleep there, or take you chances and sleep in the bushes outside of elecktro.

--

I can't stress this enough, I am only suggesting sleeping, my ideas on how it can be implemented are not set in stone, ultimately it's up to Rocket and the other developers anyway, so there is really no need to get worked up because you think the punishment I suggest is too harsh or there's a flaw I didn't take into consideration, suggest something better! I'm just brain storming here, we all want DayZ to improve.

Edited by bad_mojo