xdarc

And so it slowly dawns on me... Dayz sucks.

wasnt fucking bad wtf, the jumping was retarded and it had to be slow to kids with d-pads could handle it. halo 2 what the fuck, the worst campagne ive ever played. Not really innovated no, but i thought the vehicular multiplayer was fun to play with friends. thats what consoles are for to play with friends.

You guys are both wrong.

Halo and CoD have huge followings. Halo was so terrible it was the top MLG game? Come on man.

And the CoD hate is all this mainstream hate shit. OMG IT'S POPULAR, IT'S GARBAGE COMPARED TO MY TASTE OF GAMES, BECAUSE IM BETTER THAN THE AVERAGE NERD WHO PLAYS VIDEO GAMES.

Get over yourselves.

I've been playing a couple weeks, but tonight I think I'm done and before I'd go, I'd like to tell you a little bit about why.

The first few days I started playing, my main concern was zombies. Zombie mod, right? Well after a few days I learned that zombies were just a minor annoyance. They can never catch you if you keep running and all you have to do is learn which buildings have two entries/exits and zombies will never bother you again aside from their annoying screaching. So then it became about loot. For a few more days I stuck to low-population servers (meeting hackers early on) and just ran around collecting junk. This quickly gets boring.

So after finding some decent stuff I try heading into some busier servers, but very quickly see the disadvantages of playing on a non-private hive. People just server hop into great sniper positions, grab a few kills, and bail when threatened- hoping each time that his next leap, will be the leap home... or some such thing. Seems silly. Like 80's TV show silly. So I switch over to a private hive after my first week.

So I figure this is great, you can't just pop in with awesome stuff and start picking people off. The first thing I notice is that on some of these servers there is a lot less sniper activity and more of a new spawn cherno death match thing going on. But then the flaws in the way combat works in this game really start to show. It's all about sitting and waiting, even in fights without sniper rifles- which I avoid at all costs. I never understood why someone would play a wonderful 3D game with all this room to move and shoot, and just want to sit there staring out through a scope; essentially reducing years of progress to a cheap animated flash ad in which you click the moving object to win a prize. But then again, I'm 30 and I don't understand a lot of things about the boring, campy shooters these days; made to work best on the couch, shuffling thumbsticks around, with one hand free to stuff your face with food.

So yes, sitting and waiting. I quickly learned it is very difficult to cut doors while straffing and when someone took shots at me I would just run into a building and wait towards the end of a hallway. If the person didn't lean out, I'd shoot them before they could even turn to point at me. This of course only worked if it wasn't an AS50 with infinite ammo, thanks to the magical log in fairy, because no matter how well you dance- they only need to get to get close enough with it to scare your character to death apparetly. Plus they never come down. If they are on a private hive and they got that AS50 legit, they are not coming down.

So your only choice is to log, sneak away, or get a sniper rifle and start drooling on yourself and sit and wait. It's at that point you remember you only tried this game out because it was a zombie mod, which you do not even find yourself concerned with zombies at that point- and you realize you're playing a very boring, sniper infested shooter with horrible everything and black ops 2: zombies is only a month away. I've played my share of bad PvP games, I was on Ultimate Online's Great Lakes server in 1998- but this is bad even by standards from 14 years ago.

So that was my 2 weeks in DayZ. : )

WOAH WOAH WOAH. stop right fuckin there. if UO pvp was BAD in your opinion.. then you don't have an opinion. UO pvp was amazing. You discredit everythign you said in this post by posting that.

I'd love to hear what you think is "good pvp." and dont fuckin say WoW. Cause if so you're an idiot.

Edited by TrajanP

on second reply.. i misread what you said when you said black ops.

You officially have the right to shut the fuck up and fuck off. If you think Black Ops is a good game... go kill yourself.

OP does have a good point. He is just limiting himself by going solo all the time. This is not a solo game/mod no matter how you play it, you will die everytime before getting to anything good, unless you hack, or have your own private hive server. I have died more times by glitcing game mechanics than bandits. The glitches become more annoying than the bandits. Solo players will need a SP version, which may not happen eventhough Rocket mentioned the SP in several interviews. (which will keep many from purchasing or playing for very long if a SP is not included.) People still play games to get away from the asshats in society, so forcing them to play with some of the worst kind of asshats in MP gaming will not be an option for them.

Dayz won't be the only option out. We have WarZ and Survarium(Stalker Online) coming, maybe one of those devs can get it right. Plus the DayZ standalone will probably blow them all out of the water when it's released. I'll put my faith in Rocket maintaining his objectives and not letting the asshat in suits tell him how to make his game.

I thought this thread would be gone by now.

...Assassin's Creed is a current generation of game, and yet each game gets better.

lol, no.

Some of us have done that... I've spent hours countersniping various areas and playing guardian angel, I've done bike tours of Chernarus blasting Immortal Technique, fixed vehicles, jacked vehicles, operated a party bus, fixed choppers and spent hours shuttling noobs around just for the hell of it, I've tried every map currently released...

Good for you.

You can only get so much enjoyment from the "features" currently in the game, there's no way to generate content of any form and unless you're in a locked (which is stupid) then EVERYTHING degenerates into pvp... maybe you're not murdering people but it's pvp none the less.

"Unless you're in a locked"? What? A locked cupboard full of red bull? Yes, people will usually PVP you when they see you, but there are ways around that.

The game needs to be more about zombies and survival and less about stupid shit, people in this thread need to get Rockets nutsack out of their mouths and either admit that the game in its current (and announced features) form is horribly flawed or just stay the hell out of threads like this one. Nothing constructive ever came out of blindly fondling a developers nutsack. I'm rather sure Rocket would prefer creative input over "shut up, it's alpha, dont play if you dont like it, go die".

Despite people saying "It's an alpha", there is truth in that. Rocket already knows more or less which direction the game is going to take. If I write a book, but then give it to my friends when I'm half way through, chances are, they're not going to say 'zomg, this book sucks...I mean where's the other pages...and there are a few spelling mistakes in here' they'll know that the book is not complete yet and doesn't represent the final product of a book.

edit: also I'm not sure what kind of magical servers you're playing on but on EVERY server I've ever played Cherno/Electro was less dangerous on a person to person basis than anywhere else in the map, leave the coast and it's KOS for 99/100 people.

Magical servers with unicorns and rainbows of course...oh, and skittles. All the skittles that you can imagine.

Night night :(

Survarium(Stalker Online

nice, first i heard of that and the ingame footage looks quite like arma.. looks like it could be good. does not look like the cartoony/HUD heavy warZ crap.

• Like 1

WOAH WOAH WOAH. stop right fuckin there. if UO pvp was BAD in your opinion.. then you don't have an opinion. UO pvp was amazing.

Guess you must have mainly been a mage then. Hanging around Buc's Den, playing the server boundary shuffle. Also, people with early cable modems running faster than you. There were a lot of flaws with UO in 1998. It was bad. I passed on EQ and MMOs in general after that. Great PvP was in the arena shooters of yesteryear; where players were expected to dodge and shoot. Kids today don't know what "Run n' Gun" even looks like when they say MW/BLOPS is "Run N' Gun." Some RTS games like C&C and StarCraft are also very competitive.

Anyway, did you see the trailer for Black Ops 2: Zombies yet? It looks amazing as it will actually have a large open map and is becoming much more than a quirky mini-game. How anyone can not love that is beyond me. Don't care much for the regular MP, but the zombies modes in the Treyarc games are undeniably fun. I've spent nearly 500 hours BLOPS 1 Zombies alone. Well worth the 50-60 bucks when I rarely buy 2-3 games a year now. They're mostly garbage now that they're mainstream. That's hipster apparently, but it's true. Innovation in video games is gone. They're down to Hollywood-like formulas now; hell- they're even exceeding box office records.

Gamers used to be nerds, and became very uncool once you got to like 13. It took Doom YEARS to see a few million copies. Now MW does it on consoles in it's opening weekend. Yeah, games are worse today.

This was one of the reasons I decided to give DayZ a try, but there's really nothing here to keep me playing. Make your own fun games without mechanics to support player interaction are no fun. It never works. Players will do what your mechanics facilitate. This is the type of game that people will argue is more fun if you play with others; but where are the mechanics that make that easy? Here's side chat, if you're lucky, now go out there and make friends and have a good time... ?

Sorry. Pass. Better things to do.

CoD every year, is overhyped. it isn't going to be "open world", I can tell you that. I'm speculating here, but i'm guessing that you choose a location, an NPC drives the bus, and while they are driving the bus, z's try to jump on the bus untill you reach the location.

You aren't enjoying DayZ for a couple of reasons.

1. it is buggy

2. people aren't friendly

3. the pvp/combat is clunky (in your opinion)

all of these 3 problems, yes, even the 2nd one (more teamwork mechanics could be added into standalone to have less people shooting each-other) are there because of one thing: IT IS UNFINISHED.

come back once the game is finished, or go play WarZ, I hear that it is DayZ for kids.

After a few months of playing dayz I found out how to really play and enjoy dayz. Don't give two fucks about what happens to your character. Don't even give one fuck; just let the good times roll. Grab a weapon grab a friend and grab some beans and do whatever you feel like. If you die, it's not the end of the world because you get to enjoy looting all over again.

I would agree with you if they didn't add items like tents and cargo vehicles and also the idea of underground shelters....that implies they want people to give a fuck and try to survive instead of just fuck around...but the way the game is now, im not surprised that is all people do there are still too many things broken about it to even add new game improving features.

The dimwitted are usually unable to see what makes Day Z so great. Enjoy your terrible black ops 2 zombies with the rest of the 13 year drool cup wearers.

Halo and CoD have huge followings. Halo was so terrible it was the top MLG game? Come on man.

And the CoD hate is all this mainstream hate shit. OMG IT'S POPULAR, IT'S GARBAGE COMPARED TO MY TASTE OF GAMES, BECAUSE IM BETTER THAN THE AVERAGE NERD WHO PLAYS VIDEO GAMES.

Get over yourselves.

I agree, I personally enjoy COD zombies, L4D2 as well as DayZ, and appreciate the differences which make these games individually enjoyable. I believe Rocket himself was pretty much obsessed with playing L4D2 at one point...anyone who thinks ArmaII is the be-all and end-all of Zombie gaming is pretty narrow minded

OP does have a good point. He is just limiting himself by going solo all the time. This is not a solo game/mod no matter how you play it, you will die everytime before getting to anything good, unless you hack, or have your own private hive server. I have died more times by glitcing game mechanics than bandits. The glitches become more annoying than the bandits. Solo players will need a SP version, which may not happen eventhough Rocket mentioned the SP in several interviews. (which will keep many from purchasing or playing for very long if a SP is not included.) People still play games to get away from the asshats in society, so forcing them to play with some of the worst kind of asshats in MP gaming will not be an option for them.

This is rubbish, I never hack or cheat, and play solo on public servers the majority of the time and have had every vehicle and weapon and piece of equipment in the game (many of which I repaired from scratch), have numerous camps with loads of gear, and have no problem surviving for 20+ days on most characters.

OP does have a good point. He is just limiting himself by going solo all the time. This is not a solo game/mod no matter how you play it, you will die everytime before getting to anything good, unless you hack, or have your own private hive server.

Checks his pack from solo adventuring...hmmm what do we have here

M24

M14

L85 Thermal

GPS

Rangefinder

Coyote backpack

NVG's

*mountain dew* - FTW!!

All the toolbelt tools

I just cant understand what ppl dont like about pvp. Sure it pisses u off when u get sniped but then... it teaches u to find cover, look over ur shoulder and take care of ur position.

When i get sniped i always ask myself: "okay, where was I stupid this time?"

If it wasnt for snipers, the game would be too easy (i mean with zeds being too weak as of now).

DayZ doesn't suck. However, once you sort out the formula it loses a lot of its magic. Zombies need to be the focus, not COD, and OP points this fundamental flaw out. Still it is nothing more than the most successful mod in history, and nothing less.

Personally, I've already won DayZ. I have survived for over a month, even avoiding bug deaths, I have all the supplies I could ever want, and have killed the one bastard that I really wanted to kill while remaining a dedicated hero.

No doubt- it should be a survival game first, a zombie game second, and a player interaction (for better or worse) game third.

I'm pretty confident that the stand-alone will deliver, considering that the mod managed to hold my attention as much as any studio product ever has. Rocket and company have real street cred.

The mod certainly isn't for everybody, and moreover is not meant to be an MMORPG. It's a video game in the most general sense. You play till you get bored, and that's easy to do considering it is just some shit some guy made using a milsim engine. I really don't get why so many people assume that DayZ is supposed to be some sort of long term commitment, entertaining for infinity, or that it's appropriate to say they "quit".

• Like 1

Yes DayZ sucks. It's buggy. It's glitchy. The server system blows. It's not balanced. The inventory interface isn't intuitive. You spend hours jogging through the woods from town to town, trying to gather enough shit to survive and actually compete against a bunch of jerks outfitted like they just looted SEAL Team Six. It's full of hackers. The zombies are annoying as fuck. And finally, when you have all the cool equipment you want, before you get to use any of it, you get your head blown off by a sniper, killed by a squad of bandits, teleported away by a hacker or maybe just have the wrong door close on your head. Then you're back to nothing but flashlight and bandages,

And yet I feel compelled to start over again.

• Like 1