insitv

Demystification of the DayZ loot spawn system [SPOILER]

Thanks for the info!

Have some beans...

Quick question: are you referring green circle to the yellow one or to the farm itself?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info!

Have some beans...

Quick question: are you referring green circle to the yellow one or to the farm itself?

Thanks!

green circle = yellow circle, sry screwed that up. fixed now :)

• Like 1

So, new stuff spawns only in the spots where there hasn't spawned anything from before?

If you do not loot the spawns, but go away for more than 10 minutes, does new stuff spawn in all the spots? Reason I ask: Often the same stuff spawns over and over. Yet sometimes, it does not, and this puzzles me.

So, new stuff spawns only in the spots where there hasn't spawned anything from before?

If you do not loot the spawns, but go away for more than 10 minutes, does new stuff spawn in all the spots? Reason I ask: Often the same stuff spawns over and over. Yet sometimes, it does not, and this puzzles me.

New stuff only spawns in spots that are empty.

Loot despawn IS IN THE GAME but i haven't figured out yet how much time it takes for loot to despawn. Will work on that and update the OP.

As a point of intuitiveness, you may want to reverse the yellow and red regions as red makes more sense for the null-zone and yellow for the spawn cycles.

Just my opinion. Glad to see someone take the initiative and explain a key but mostly misunderstood mechanic of the mod.

As a point of intuitiveness, you may want to reverse the yellow and red regions as red makes more sense for the null-zone and yellow for the spawn cycles.

Just my opinion. Glad to see someone take the initiative and explain a key but mostly misunderstood mechanic of the mod.

Should have done that but i am pretty bad as a designer/graphic artist. If someone wants to make a better pic, feel free to contact me, will rep you in OP then :)

Is the radius measured from the building or from the loot spawn location?

For example, I could be within 120 meters of a hangar building but still more than 120 meters away from the loot pile in the back of the building.

Are all loot piles in a single building grouped together or are they all handled individually?

Thanks for the info.

Edit: From the code you posted it looks like it's measuring your distance to the buidling.

I guess that's your distance to any wall of the building as indicated by the distance to "house" shown on the cross-hair cursor?

So Loot spawns within buildings are handled together?

Edited by Hutch

Amen to you, sir!

You can have my freshly found beans!

Is the radius measured from the building or from the loot spawn location?

For example, I could be within 120 meters of a hangar building but still more than 120 meters away from the loot pile in the back of the building.

Are all loot piles in a single building grouped together or are they all handled individually?

Thanks for the info.

Edit: From the code you posted it looks like it's measuring your distance to the buidling.

I guess that's your distance to any wall of the building as indicated by the distance to "house" shown on the cross-hair cursor?

So Loot spawns within buildings are handled together?

Yes, it's measuring the distance to the building itself.

Yes again, the loot spawns are handled together, i.e. they spawn items at the same time. They don't have individual timers.

• Like 1

Yes again, the loot spawns are handled together, i.e. they spawn items at the same time. They don't have individual timers.

Server-wide? All the loot on the server spawns together, synchronised by one ten minute timer?

One more question.

Is that 10 minute timer global or individual for each player?

Does the timer only start once you're within 120 meters? Or if it's global might trigger 30 seconds after you enter the 120 meter range?

Edit: I expect it's global. I'm just looking to confirm since I know there's alot of code that runs client side but I've always assumed that loot spawn is handled server side.

Edited by Hutch

No, it's not server-wide. (As far as i know)

The timer starts this way:

The FIRST player who comes near the building after server (120m radius) will start the 10 minute timer. After that loot will spawn every 10 minutes. If the players leaves the area, the timer will stop too. It will go on after the next player enters the red area.

Edited by insitv

Righteous! Thanks for sharing this. It's always good to know about the many ways the game can be exploited so that everyone is on the same page with regards to who is cheating and how.

I don't exactly see it as a cheat or something but as clever use of game mechanics. Until Rocket changes the loot spawn system every player should know how it works and how to benefit from it.

It's still cheating. You took apart the game code to look behind the curtain. You cheated. I'm glad that you revealed that others are also cheating, though, so beans for you.

Hopefully rocket figures out a way to conceal this or a workaround to patch up this hole in his scripting.

Can server admins change these settings? Sometimes I spawn in a building and there is loot, other times I spawn in and there is no loot. It seems that on some servers there wil allways be loot if I log in.

Also you should include that loot gets "saved". If you leave, loot despawns, you come back, the same loot will be there (Source: Put a shotgun we didn't need in a bag on the floor for the lulz, 2 days later it was still there).

I wouldn't call this "cheating" per se. While it's not as bad as using a AS50 TWS that you found in a tent, this one's more legitimately in the gray zone - especially now that it's info everybody can use.

If you zone into a building and there's loot there, it's because it was there before you logged in.

If you zone in and there is No Loot, that means nobody has been nearby to trigger loot spawns since the server was restarted.

Loot isn't "saved", it just doesn't despawn. It stays there until someone picks it up or the server is restarted.

yup, i knew that loot spawns only when moving closer to a building, never found the programmed code though, thanks for clearing that up

also: zombies spawning at 200 meters is a real issue on servers, you can basically never hide in a city or other zombie infested areas

reverse engineering is imho not cheating, he just explains how mechanics in the game work (which was no big secret to some of the players but many just didnt understand the sense of it all - or why they could enter a totally empty house with no zeds around and within 30 seconds there are 50 coming after you...well, if the stuff would spawn when no one is around the lag and server load would grow heavy in some minutes to a level making the game unplayable)....thats one part of the success of linux (and the worst thing about windows). this way people able to read code and think in code can find errors and report them so they get fixed (or they can exploit that, but when you take a look at what happens with linux - there was still no virus in the wild that could affect more than a hand full of servers- it shows that about 99% are reported....and the few exploited can easily be targeted by _everyone_ to be fixed)

still some things still dont make sense to me : for example rog - it is the first place i go when spawning in the east so i have a map, a compass, at least a pistol and/or a lee. but it is for sure not a place where players are running in and out. in 90% of the cases it takes me about 5 minutes to have 3 spawn refresh happening, the only thing necessary is to run to the entrance hall or the 10 meters across the field to the other tower and check that out and run back....most times a new spawn has happened which can be accelerated by taking all stuff up and dropping it outside of the tower.

the rest is absolutely what i saw in the game, many people always keep telling there is no loot in the northern cities and towns but by triggering the mechanism by a quick run in - run out you find a totally full spawned building or area. and also the increase seems to make sense, i realized in some situations that when a place is looted quite regular the loot gets "better" (which means that stuff more rare will spawn after some times a house was looted).

• Like 1