#1 GBTP

GBTP

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

I don't have the inventory for both, but I really like them each, they do the same damage and have an effective range that is close enough not to make enough difference.

What do you guys think is the way to go?
DayZ for console for life!
лаг лаг
The best defense is a good offense, unless you have lasers, in which case the best defense is lasers.

#2 The2ndLink

The2ndLink

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

Completely depends on what you plan to do.

DMR is superior in open combat.

SVD is great when you have a gillie and a sneaky playstyle.
He shook his head. 'There's no justice.'
Death sighed. No, he said, there's just me.

#3 Box

Box

Guv'nor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2573 posts
  • LocationBSB Main Base - Napf!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

SVD Cammo I'd say but I guess it depends on your play style. Personally I dont bother with the longer range rifles myself as a) I'm not much of a PvP gamer and prefer closer range rifles B) I usually play in groups and normally have team members with DMRs and longer range rifles.
  • Bludy gave their beans

BSB Network, Gaming & banter for grown-ups!
Est. 2002

#4 luke688

luke688

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

Well the SVD is the rarest sniperifle on the game and its next to impossible to find ammo for but it does look pretty badass with the gun camo and it has a built in range finder, the DMR on the other hand is easy to find ammo for and the gun itself is quite common to find as far as sniper rifles go also you can use it with NVG's at night.
Ni Dios Ni Amo

#5 GBTP

GBTP

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

What makes the DMR Superior would you say?
I do have a ghillie suit so the SVD works aesthetically.
But I know they are both rare... and would hate to pass up the DMR if it's generally considered a better rifle
лаг лаг
The best defense is a good offense, unless you have lasers, in which case the best defense is lasers.

#6 Goodrita

Goodrita

Helicopter Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationCanterlot, Equestria

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

DMR is great if you have the chance of being attacked up close, because of it's high rate of fire.

But if you'll be sniping at a long distance, the SVD is great because it has the built in Rangefinder.

It all depends on preference.

#7 GBTP

GBTP

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

I have a silenced M4A1 so I have cqc covered, I'm leaning towards keeping the SVD for hunting... animals.. or whatever... just seems like a waste to leave the DMR just laying there looking all sexy on the ground...
лаг лаг

#8 GBTP

GBTP

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

Awesome, thanks guys!!!
лаг лаг

#9 agippo

agippo

Helicopter Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:16 AM

if you play at night, the dmr is the way to go for sure. as someone above mentioned, its the only scoped rifle that works with NVG's having both is a massive advantage.

however if you are never intending to play at night, and you don't have NVG's then the svd is brilliant for lurking
Private Hive only

#10 Calibre

Calibre

Numquam procedamus retardare.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts
  • Locationthe Emerald isle

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

if you play at night, the dmr is the way to go for sure. as someone above mentioned, its the only scoped rifle that works with NVG's having both is a massive advantage.

however if you are never intending to play at night, and you don't have NVG's Range finders then the svd is brilliant for lurking

fixed that for you..

banner88_zps73517c5b.jpg

#11 GBTP

GBTP

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

fixed that for you..

Thanks for editing that post Calibre I'm sure agippo appreciates it. But what is your input on my question?
  • agippo gave their beans
лаг лаг

#12 HaroldHeisenberg

HaroldHeisenberg

On the Coast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

I can see a niche use for the SVD for a camping sniper.

I would take the DMR 99% of the time.

1-Rate of Fire
2-Frequency of Ammunition
3-Can be used with NVG

#13 GBTP

GBTP

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

I haven't/don't play PVP so I'm not looking for the best anti-survivor weapon.

I appreciate all of the opinions, it is definitely helping me get a sense of what people like and why.

Edited by GBTP, 04 September 2012 - 11:34 AM.

лаг лаг

#14 Calibre

Calibre

Numquam procedamus retardare.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts
  • Locationthe Emerald isle

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for editing that post Calibre I'm sure agippo appreciates it. But what is your input on my question?

I have them both tbh.. I Love the SVD but it's as useless as tits on a bull at night. So my heart says SVD my head says DMR - I just use which ever one takes my fancy at the time..

banner88_zps73517c5b.jpg

#15 GBTP

GBTP

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

...my heart says SVD my head says DMR

^^^ Best advice!
лаг лаг

#16 INickeragua

INickeragua

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationLakewood, OH

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

DMR no questions asked! Both a two shot body kill. The DMR can be used with night vision, and the ammo it a lot more common than the SVD. Although I would just take the SVD to look badass when I have my ghillie on.

---- Current status = Hero ----

Posted Image

Maj. Osborn & INickeragua Trading Co.

#17 Dudeist

Dudeist

Survivor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationZelenogorsk, Chernarus

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

SVD only with special and very rare ammo. You must know how to use this gun. You can't use it with NV. Is NOISY but not that much. Same as M24 etc.
SVD is only good if you have ghilie and lots of ammo. For me better is M107, I like it as second weapon. DMR is more universal, but I like M107 damage. I always walking with assault in hand, and when I meet sniper or danger player, I can easy swap for sniper - M107. No problem with ammo for M107, great damage (one shot kills), range etc.
With SVD you need head shot. It is always hard, when target moving. With M107 you need any body shot to kill.
¡uoısɹǝɯɯı ʎɯ ƃuıqqnlɔ doʇs ǝsɐǝld

#18 -HB-10BAG

-HB-10BAG

Helicopter Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

DMR over SVD any day of the week.
DMR has a bigger clip, common ammo, better in CQC and it works with night vision.
SVD looks cool but the only place you can find ammo for it reliably is in tents.

One time I was saying things to a female suviver in elektro. I say things like 'I fucking smash your bitchface with axe' very loud and nayburs phone police. I explain wut was true and my dad made them tea so they did not arrest me, the polices idea to close window and I always checking now.

#19 Hetstaine

Hetstaine

Chernarus Marathon Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7502 posts
  • LocationThe Woods

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

DMR.

What was the question ?

#20 BeanFlicker

BeanFlicker

Scavenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

I prefer the DMR. There is more ammo around for it and it's easier to use, the scope is a bit better. The SVD is cool but I have it in my backpack as secondary main weapon and I don't have a ghillie right now so it kinda doesn't go with my civilian clothing, lol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sniper, rifle, dmr, svd, scope, weapons, guns, best