Zetal

To Put It Bluntly- DayZ Is Too Easy

I see everyone saying that servers can't handle the mass A.I. of zombies and as of right now that may be true but currently Chernarus is a huge forest and every single tree is scripted with destructible environment I.E. hit the tree with a tank its going to fall down. Now Chernarus has whole lot of trees id name a number but i just don't feel like i could name one accurately Each tree with this destructible environment scripting bogs the servers down immensely therefore the amount of players/zombie is very limited. If they were to remove all the destructible environment scripting from those trees Chernarus could hold 1000's of zombie A.I. Now I'm pretty sure they will do that with Chernarus plus since there is no reason to have all of those trees destructible. So all in all 1000's of zombies is possible without the server lagging to hell.

So you blame ... the trees? Do you have factual data backing your claim that a script is tied to every single tree?

Hey guys, this topic is a bit old but I feel it still illustrates the same bloody issues that are in the game to this day. So I figured I'd just go ahead and leave a video recording me and a friend made to try and show comprehensively what the issues are. Hopefully it gets the point across.

Many parts are VERY VERY boring, because it's DayZ and that's just how it is. Feel free to skip around/skim. We also had some video issues at many parts. Try to bear with us.

Part 1:

Part 2:

I guess it partially doubles as a 'How-to' guide on playing DayZ lol We almost always find cars with little-to-no damage or deaths within a few hours.

Thoughts? I really think this should make the issues quite clear.

Edited by Zetal

When I read "I beat this game" I thought about the guy who claimed that he'd beaten Yoga. I can understand that you got bored. But that you beat DayZ? Man, DayZ beat you!

So the Usain Bolt zombies are now going to be given the ability to trip players? Do you even comprehend how annoying that would be? I agree that zombie mechanics, and animations, need to be drastically changed, but for the better, not for the worse. Zombies move in packs. They awake when they smell you and aggro when you do something stupid. They wait for you around the corner, behind that door or under those floors. They poke holes in doors and walls and drag you into it while gnawing at you. However, they're not soccer players who trip you to get the ball.

OK, sure. The game lacks an end game. I get that.

Changing the zombie mechanics would change that. It would make it possible to take entire towns. It would make it possible to build real shelters, by boarding up houses and sending out parties to get supplies, and maybe even a working car. Maybe you could get electricity going, and fire up the radio, and make a new civilization, and thus grant you immense power - coveted by the bandits who want's it all for themselves. Then wars would break out over territory, stationary gear, and portable resources.

I don't know about the anti-game, but that sort of gameplay would be heaven for a Zombie Apocalypse gamer. Such a game still doesn't exist, but there is a huge market for it - a market so thirsty that they're willing to make do with DayZ, and DayZ mostly delivers, but my real hopes are for the standalone. Oh man, if only Rocket does this right... B)

Bayonets, bayonets with an unscrewable handle with a mini bayonet and strong string inside. Sturgeon fishing with retrivable shootable through a crossbow bayonets.There's your end game, everything else is just pure gravy on the sturgeon.

@kebman These suggestions are meant to work with the DayZ Mod. Supposedly, they are going to continue development on the mod in addition to the Standalone. Many of what you suggest would only be possible with engine modifications. Not necessarily a bad thing, but the forum is already overflowing with those kinds of suggestions. I'd like something a little more short-term, I guess.

I'd recommend you read the rest of the post after I say I beat it. The reasoning should be pretty obvious behind why I said that.

Oh read it all. Would kind of defeat the purpose to answer an unread post. I suggest you read mine too. ;) If you did, you'd see that I actually answered your most important points below "beating it".

Short term, look up a hardcore server. It's a much better alternative to making the game unplayable for everyone else. Also there are many good threads about hardcore servers on this forum. Look 'em up!

Problem is is how far do you take the survival aspect? Some features suggested are cool but lets not let it get to the point where playing the game becomes a chore and its like the sims. What's next, needing to sleep in game or needing to service and maintain your guns? Needing to tap a breath button if you go into shock to stop panic attacks? Following animal tracks and animal shit to go hunting? There's a limit.

Hell, a few simple changes can help. Stop matches being infinite use and either remove blood bags or only let them recover 3000 blood. Make ammo rarer, but not to the point you're lucky to have 10 bullets. Make temprature matter and camp fires useful. There's no need to completely change the survival aspecr but make it so pvp squads

can't camp with 30 as50 rounds and a dude with a bloodbag that can get insta healed. Make it so people have to stop and think and not just camp for a impossible amount of time if they have 2 drinks and 2 pastas. Make food/drink more important..just a few random thoughts.

I just read this entire thread because the topic and original post struck home with me. I haven't even played that long and I'm already starting to feel like there's not much left to do.

Once I learned that zombies are not even a threat then a lot of the game's difficulty and ultimately it's awesomeness faded away. I used to be so worried about zombies and try to sneak everywhere. It was exhilarating and a lot of fun. Now I just run into town and go from building to building with little regard to the zombies. Why should I be worried? I start with nothing of value so have nothing to loose so what if I die? They not only stop running in buildings but usually just stop pursuit completely! All you REALLY have to do is break line of sight from them... be it a wall, a pine tree, whatever... they soon forget you ever existed. I get moderately equipped in a matter of minutes.... assault rifle, pistol, plenty of ammo, hatchet, matches, canteens, food.... I'm set; I could go live in the woods indefinitely with practically no risk. That's what the OP means by "I won!" I mean the whole point was to survive the zombie apoc.... well I did and it took like 5 minutes.

Now what?

Go find a vehicle? What for... so I can drive around and play GTA: Zombie Apoc ? I don't really NEED one but ya its kinda cool. I drove around a Ural, loaded it full of stuff, and I'm still winning.... now what?

Go PvP? That's about all that's left. Players are the only REAL threat in the game. So why bother with all of the survival stuff if all we really have to look forward to is shooting other players? There's a bazillion other games on the market specifically design to for this and most of them done better than ArmA 2.

I'd like to see two things change:

1) Survival should not just be more difficult but players should be more worried about not dieing. Simple things like not being able to run forever (yes I know it's coming) and zombies running inside buildings would be a good start. They don't have to be "buffed" it's just that running from them is WAY too easy.

One little morphine injection fixes broken bones? Too easy... breaking a bone is a big deal and it's practically a death sentence if you don't have any real medical attention.

Zombies can't get me in my vehicle. It's practically a moving safe zone. They should be able to pull you out or tip over the vehicle or something to make you worry about stopping near zombies.

2) If the game isn't supposed to be CounterStrike: Zombies!!111 then what else are we working toward? What's the end game if it's not PvP? I love the open and free PvP here; it adds a lot to the risk of surviving.....but is that all we'll have for end game content? Would like to see this really fleshed out.

I'm really glad to see that someone finally understands what I mean! Thank you! =P

I suggest they should make it so that zombies cant run anymore, but increase the spawn rate by a factor of 20-30 and make them hear a lot more. Give them 3-4x as much health or even make them invincible unless hit in the head. Make them move in hordes of 200-300 zombies at once.

I suggest they should make it so that zombies cant run anymore, but increase the spawn rate by a factor of 20-30 and make them hear a lot more. Give them 3-4x as much health or even make them invincible unless hit in the head. Make them move in hordes of 200-300 zombies at once.

You know this was like 2 years ago? right?

In the new 1.8.1 update, zombies now can hit you from a longer range, making them more lethal. Another feature increasing difficulty is water sources may give you infection, so you must always boil your water. Guns are even more rare, the only feature that makes the game easier is zombie sight radius has been reduced and you can salvage parts from vehicles.