Sign in to follow this  
Duck (DayZ)

Killing Sprees need consequences

Hey DayZ community/Rocket, I had an idea earlier to increase the realism factor and perhaps make Banditry in the form of mass murders a little less appealing.

So I'll get right to the point! If a certain amount of murders are hit in rapid succession, your accuracy will waver, you'll move a bit slower, perhaps you'll hunger a bit faster or begin to feel ill (In the mod's mechanics, get a cold) This will last for a few online hours depending on the severity of your killing spree.

Killing out of necessity is at least justifiable in our heads, as human beings. (I needed to eat, I needed to drink, I needed to survive, he shot at me), but just mass murdering for the sake of mass murdering would weigh on our conscience. I doubt anyone would just be able to mow people down without regret. Let's simulate Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, or at least some sort of depression, with the temporary nerfing of abilities

For the specific stats, I was thinking somewhere along the lines of 5 kills in 10 minutes would trigger a three-hour depression period. Let me know what you guys think!

Yes, I know that, how about leaving something a bit more constructive? I'm just talking in terms of realism, because DayZ adheres to a realistic Zombie Apocalypse pretty well. It's about mechanics, nothing more, nothing less.

This exact idea has been suggested dozens of times. If you want people to be constructive use the search function.

I did use the search function, I suppose the way I worded it just didn't bring up this idea in particular.

this thread has happened a dozen times because mass murderers offend people.

what the various OPs and their supporters don't recognise is mass murderers are already living with the consequences.

inb4 FUCK YOU SANDY YOU BANDIT MOTHERFUCKER I HATE YOU YOU SHITTY BANDIT FUCK YOU STOLE MY HEINZ AND COST ME SEVERAL HOURS OF GAME TIME YOU FLAPPY PADDLE GEARBOX

>not a bandit

met my teammates by sitting on a crane in Cherno, throwing flares, rounding up nubs and leading them to loot

Also, the way things usually work in this forum is that good ideas are often regarded with a "change is bad" approach without any justification, although the banditry isn't necessarily broken so there doesn't really need to be a fix.

These ideas about affecting gameplay, and making stats degrade faster, are alright. I think a better system that punishing PvP is rewarding teamwork, by which I mean that those whose humanity is above a set level would get more healing benefits.

It's been suggested because players that get frustrated at something they don't personally like decide to make threads that propagate an idea that seeks to; simplify the game, add more unrealistic elements than we already have, and to make life easier for casual players.

People that have contempt for something are more likely to make threads than people who don't. Suggestion forums are always filled with people who want something to (Oh shit) change, that usually dislike the current situation. Surprised?

100 people coming up with a shit idea is less valuable than 1 coming up with a great one. There will be ways of encouraging more player friendly interaction, but punishing people for play styles artificially is not it. Spend the time coming up with something that adds content rather than something that reduces from it.

Let me clarify right now that I am not against PvP in any manner, I have killed others out of necessity, as I said. And Bandits are simply those who have killed out of necessity more than others. I don't /care/ about those guys. Bandits are a part of the game, and they are a good contrast. I don't want to remove the paranoid lone-wolf style of play altogether, which was perhaps a misconception, here.

People who kill tons of people in a row should just have a temporary setback, that's all my suggestion is. It's not to make it a permanent thing that all murders should come with (As others suggested), so please don't write this off as an exact duplicate of another suggestion.

Its been suggested a dozen times because the concept of bandits getting punished somewhat for mass murdering is a good idea.

Well not really - it's just a common idea. Rocket has stated this mod is not going to be about any particular style of play. So punishment, if any, will be emergent, not build in.

I like the idea of "consequences" like bein brandished an outlaw in red dead or a "marked man". But not of "mass murderers" losing their ability to murder more people, via depression or any inability handle the reality of murder. They are already sociopaths if they behave that way, Ill give them the benefit of the doubt and say they can handle it. I think them bein marked with bandit posters or something identifying there last known location would be more effective.

once you start becoming a mass murderer, you stop caring about your humanity

thus becoming a bandit/raider

if anything

killing your first zombie/player should leave you scared shitless for hours afterwards

would be neet if players got the shakes (time delayed to start after a fire fight) maybe worst if they killed many people in a short span of time, would lower pointless spree killings without punishing bandits or survivors exclusivly, the shakes dont need to be too strong (not like the pain shakes) just able to throw off your aim at longer ranges

((edit; the shakes would lower over time as your player calms down))

Everyone knows that if OP sees a fully geared up dude and he gets the drop on him, OP is gonna go up to him and say good job fella! now run along before bad people come! N word please! Later I was in NW airfield, there were 3 dudes running around, I kept watch on them and let them go, i'm more than sure that if they saw me they would not show me such kindness.

Stupid idea IMO, I doubt Op would agree with "non-bandits" having lower accuracy or weapon skills because they shoot less. Pretty sure Rocket has said that he wants US to create the consequences, he's never going to enact "punishments" for people playing the game the way they want to play it.

If you don't like "bandits" then you need to play smarter, not everyone post-apocalypse is going to want to hold your hand and wait in line for beans with you.

rocket already stated he is adding consequences for players actions. This includes being friendly and bandit playstyles.

hugging bears in the wild needs consequences too! and for forget the fucking rabbits! if you kill a rabbit PETA will come after you and knee cap your character and laugh at you in a high pitch tone!

yup we need more bullshit like this ....

This has been suggested a few times, mainly in the form of suffering psychological effects due to certain behaviour as most would in todays world. Paranoia, ptsd and hallucinations etc depending on the severity and access to hospitals for psych meds to keep your shit together if that's how you want to play.

hugging bears in the wild needs consequences too! and for forget the fucking rabbits! if you kill a rabbit PETA will come after you and knee cap your character and laugh at you in a high pitch tone!

yup we need more bullshit like this ....

Rocket Wrote: While consequences may occur for a particular action (e.g. humanity loss)' date=' no judgement is implied or placed on that behavior.

[i']ME: Remember the humanity feature is unfinished, So most likely it will have have some kinda of use later in Dayz's Life Time. So don't count your chickens before they hatch about having consequence free actions.

There are already risks and consequences to going on killing sprees; you'll attract the attention of zombies, and no matter how good you are eventually someone is going to shoot back and kill you.

I was going to say no to implementing psychological consequences on the basis that any moral or psychological shortcomings should be limited to the space between chair and keyboard. After thinking though, there already is the panic mechanic for when zombies are near a wounded player. I'm not entirely sold on the idea, but it warrents discussion.

Stop.

the game shouldn't decide how I feel as a character. My accuracy would waver if I were actually shaking in real life [which I always am after a fresh kill or 5.]

Stupid idea IMO' date=' I doubt Op would agree with "non-bandits" having lower accuracy or weapon skills because they shoot less. Pretty sure Rocket has said that he wants US to create the consequences, he's never going to enact "punishments" for people playing the game the way they want to play it.

If you don't like "bandits" then you need to play smarter, not everyone post-apocalypse is going to want to hold your hand and wait in line for beans with you.

[/quote']

my idea for the shakes would be that they wear off over time(hehe should have put that in)