joeyslucky22

Inventory UI concept design v2.1 (window based)

am the only one who would like to just let it be how it is in arma?

Probably on this topic you are. Hate the arma2 inventory system, just wasn't designed with a post-apocalyptic survival mod in mind. Por ejemplo: why is the axe still worn on the tool belt (on your person, not in the inventory menu) when I equip it, yet it takes the main weapon spot? If it's on the hip, it should probably replace the pistol, not the primary (as that conceivably could still fit on the shoulder). Or, shockingly, why can't I just have the pistol on one hip and the axe on the other (with the primary on my back)? Incorporating weight values and spatial relations would be awesome as well--in the backpack I own right now, I would easily be able to fit 20+ bloodbags in it, five or six handguns with mags...but I don't think I could fit a single primary weapon in there without some deconstruction.

I'm superdigging the clothing-as-inventory systems as well. In the aftermath of the world, you'd be bangling the shit out of your stuff, to avoid leaving anything of value behind. Gypsy-train it up, is what I'm saying. Stuff hanging around your neck (two cans of beans with knotted string connecting them), tucked into every pocket, jingle-jangling along.

Very Jagged Alliance Looking.

I never get tired of praising Jagged Alliance 2's inventory, item and modification system. And it only gets better with the v1.13 overhaul (LBE). Any step closer to a JA2 / X-Com 3 look is a winner in my book.

am the only one who would like to just let it be how it is in arma?

You are. Why? it was said above - arma was focused on large scale warfare in the rural area. That's why the question was only "How much you can carry" since everyone has pretty same loadout (the only option is backpack).

In DayZ you start with no eqipment at all. You wouldn't normally have a tac vest for example (unless you play paintball for example, but that's another case). So at the start all you have are pockets on your jeans and jacket maybe. Different clothes will have different layout and amout of slots, thus you'll decide what to wear cosidering the gear you want and the mobility you'll need. It's far more engaging than a generic 20-slot grid.

To be honest, I'm not that fond of the new inventory UI. I like your concept but it looks too 'childish' and they look too much

like the inventory UI of WarZ, which I hate. I don't mean to trashtalk your concept, because I really appreciate what you are doing,

but try to make it look less 'childish' :P

As of 2/6/2012:

New concept design!

ierK8Ox.jpg

Oh... my... god...

This is a friggin masterpiece!

So you took all the right advises while keeping your style. The result is amazing! It definately needs some explaination, but it looks amazing! Heh, I see now a belt can be an item too.

I assume those lines and little squares are meant to be slots, occupied by the bulk of the objects (like hatchet hanging from the belt), but how do these slots work on the shirt and shoes?

Also, I see a tac vest on the "checking body" screenshot. Where is the tac vest slot for the player? I'd actually go with 3 layers - body vear (shits\t-shirts,"second skin"), hoodies\coats\jackets for second layer, utility gear (tac vests, armor, bandoliers, maybe mountaineer gear) for the third level.

I'm so hoping it will make into the game in such form!

Edited by WiFiN
  • Like 1

lokks stupendous i hope rocket does something like this for SA your a clever duck sir!

also the weight idea is much better than rockets slot inventory like arma 2 ui

Edited by spartan54820
  • Like 1