Sign in to follow this  
kastarules

What are the odds? [A short combat story]

Yesterday I was in this german low pop server trying to make my way from Drozhino (South-west of ZELENOGORSK) to STARY SOBOR. The clouds always move east in Day Z, right? Yeah I've got it, I know where to head. After what it seems like an eternity I find myself in Nadezhino. God only knows how I got here! I should have listened to my mother and joined the boyscout when I had the chance...

I finally get on the right path and reach my destination when it is night already, and the server population has dropped to just me and another player. I hit the prone key as I approach the city and start creeping around. I loot a few houses then decide to head for the supermarket, I crawl right under the infected nose and get in the grocery store from the main entrance. As I walk in I realize that a living dead is inside, it is so dark I didn't notice it, it is snarling like crazy and it is freaking me out a little. I quickly crawl to the opposite side of the store and hide behind the counter hoping it didn't notice me.

After a little while the dumb zombie leaves and I finally take a sigh of relief... when BAM! a flash in the night and a muffled gunshot, followed by a few others in rapid succession. Somebody is getting in from the main entrance and it looks like he's bringing many undead friends with him! He's crouching facing the entrance a few meters from me, giving me his back. He seems well equipped, what do I do? There is really no time to think as he's already turning in my direction, should I shoot him in the back like a coward or wait another half a second and get shot in the face like a fool? Time's up he's already facing me, I squeeze the trigger of my trusted AKM and shoot him point blank. He takes a brief moment to return fire, he is probably as amazed as I am to encounter the only other player in this server at this exact location. I mean, seriously, what are the odds?

Eventually he opens fire with his silenced Bizon, what should have been an easy looting night turns into an intense gunfight at the O.K. Corral. The shots illuminate the store and I can hear the rising moans of the dead outside, looks like we got their attention. My magazine finally runs empty but so does his. I jump behind cover and reload, a soft beam of light getting in from the wide windows allows me to see him, on the other side of the counter, doing the same. I wonder how it is possible that he is still alive after all those hits. My heart is pounding out of my chest, in my mind I am not playing a game anymore, I am fighting for my own life! As soon as I am locked and loaded I bounce out of cover and spray him in lead, finally terminating the fucker. Wounded and bleeding, I patch myself up right away and take a glimpse at the top right of the screen: the Bandits Killed counter goes +1. Phew! I can now loot his corpse guilt free!

But it ain't over yet: I can hear the zombies getting closer and they. are. pissed. I quickly proceed to check what kind of goods the bandit has brought me: he carries nothing fancy other than the silenced Bizon which has only one magazines with just a few rounds left in it, I don't have the room for it in my inventory so fuck it, I leave it with my dead friend. I grab all the useful supplies in his backpack though. When I look up the living dead are already getting in, their grotesque silhouettes stand out against the background, there must be a couple of dozen of them, pretty much the same amount of people you would encounter at a nickelback's concert. Looks like I am not welcome in this town anymore, I try not to panic but my adrenaline level is still very high, I let the Kalashnikov scream at the undead and make my way among their numbers leaving the store of doom from the rear exit. I keep running until I am in the woods where I can finally relax a little. Man, that was close.

1 bandit dead, 141,269 to go.

P.S. tryhard I am truly sorry for killing you, I am sure you were a nice bandit with only the best intentions in your heart, but I couldn't really take any chances. You understand.

62099634.jpg

Edited by KastaRules
  • Like 3

he picked up a czech vest pouch. he deserved it

Yeah... I guess you are right! Why would anybody pick the czech vest pouch up?!

Because screw coyotes.

Yeah... I guess you are right! Why would anybody pick the czech vest pouch up?!

Lulz.

Have you ever even heard of paragraphs?

I just thought they would break up the action. I appreciate the constructive criticism tho.

Better now?

Edited by KastaRules

I just thought they would break up the action. I appreciate the constructive criticism tho.

Better now?

As long as they placed in the appropriate spots, they won't break up the action too much. It is better than the alternative - one massive wall of text that no one will read. Yours looks fine now.

Nice story. Keep them coming, makes for an entertaining read. And yes, having been a boy scout for some ten years really makes a difference when you try to navigate Chernarus.

huck, bandit bad suvivur gud!

"lol nuw i can loot his corpswe guilt-ee fwee!"

This is why i solely destroy heros.

That was a nice read....I enjoyed that...thank you for posting.

Nice story. Keep them coming, makes for an entertaining read. And yes, having been a boy scout for some ten years really makes a difference when you try to navigate Chernarus.

Glad you enjoyed it! :)