nucleqrwinter@gmail.com

Debug monitor will be gone in 1.7.3 !

There needs to be some indication when you're below 9k blood and can be knocked unconscious by a zombie. The colour saturation thing is only good at 10k+ blood, anything below and it's pretty hard to tell how close to death you are - something that I would imagine is quite easy to self diagnose in the real world.

*this + indication when at full 12k. Otherwise another stupid "feature"

oh no something is changing, let's all just call it shit because we don't like change not even enough to experience it briefly before forming opinions from thin air...

removing the hud is a great idea and we're just too used to them to see it any differently though. As long as it is replaced by indicators that feel more natural and in keeping with the game design than neon numbers in my face then i'm all for it. Belly rumbling when hungry, desaturated vision when low on blood, blurry vision when close to death. Too many RPG/FPS heads here who want to keep numbers on screen just because it's what they're used to.

Debug screen was always going to go, how many games have you played that retain debug info on screen?

Confirming kills should be done the old fashioned way (kick the body, if it moves shoot it again) having a magic number appear to notify you of a kill isn't in keeping with what this game wants to achieve. You can still get your e-peen hard by looking at your character stats on the website for a kill counter, but whilst in game it needs to go.

I also think ammo counters need to go.

Make it so you can actually count the bullets in a magazine (and share them out between half full mags) but once in the gun you should have to keep a mental note of how many rounds you have left.

Edited by ironman Tetsuo
  • Like 3

I think the removal of the Debug monitor is the most important issue with this game and Im glad its getting priority over everything else

Edited by WooTs

I think the removal of the Debug monitor is the most important issue with this game and Im glad its getting priority over everything else

Meh, I'm already glad they're doing something.

I'd not be surprised if 1.7.3 was only tweaking humanity a bit, adding buggy dogs and removing debug monitor EXCLUSIVELY.

Ah and fixing the artifacts. But not really.

because the time it took to remove it took precious resources away from other issues..?

Display debug = false

there, done it, on to the next fix!

Lol... pointless change is pointless. The chance to introduce some real content or a proper bug fix... removes debug panel. Just like 2.5 he removes the ability for admins to look through the logs properly, unnecessary change.

So tell me, have they solved the humanity + skin changes bug? Constantly changing skins without notice, deleting everything in my backpack or in some cases deleting my backpack completely and giving the starter pack? How am I suppose to know when my character is randomly going to change clothes? At the moment it is best for my character to just kill as many humans as I can and that guarantees me the skin won't change randomly. Removing the debug monitor whilst humanity is still dicking about is just plain silly...

Humanity is a ridiculous system anyway, probably worst change in the game, it has more swings than a child play park and should be trackable. If you're going to make my character have some sort of emotional attachment to the amount of people he has killed or help at least give me a way of tracking that. Just like blood pressure, in real life I don't know exactly what it is but I know what Good/normal is and I know what "Oh shit feels like" or I know what it feels like when I start going sluggish and my sense fade. The current indicators in this game are "Green, A poorly shaded Green Red... Red", just like the thermometer it doesn't even display a logical colour for temperature. It should be Blue = Cold and Red = Hot, its a universal indicator, instead it has some sort of orangey yellow/green tinge to it that seems to be at that whatever temperature you're at. All I do now is use heat packs every so often because without temp on the debug monitor it is almost impossible to determine what it is at... lying down in the middle of the field in the rain at night for 10 minutes and my temp picture doesn't change colour what so ever.

My clan server is running 2.4 whilst I'm on 2.5 I can't see them upgrading to .3 either now.

Edit:

I wonder if the Lingor Island modders will continue with this change, We've seen them revert some of the changes (Side channel for one) and it would be interesting. I think Lingor holds a lot more potential than Rocket makes out, if he can monitor the player reactions on both Lingor and normal DayZ (if the Lingor team would co operate) then perhaps he would be able to come to a better conclusion. Being in Alpha that sort of stuff should be viewable to make the game less frustration when its full of bugs.

Edited by Mastiff
  • Like 1

It's an immersion breaker but I'll admit it's handy to have.

After people disappear upon being shot on I cant thing anything can break the immersion

My only issue with the debug monitor being removed is the blood situation, OK some of you believe that removing it adds realism and I get that but I have a valid point against losing the blood indication, I'm partially colourblind and slight blood loss does not really look much different to me so I think that some form of blood indicator should stay in the game.

• Like 1

snip

Removal of the debug monitor probably didn't even require a line of code, rather just a /* */ to comment out some draw calls.

Calling it out as if it's somehow distracting from larger issues or bigger changes is ridiculous.

Yes, we all know there are other issues facing the game. Some of them large.

That doesn't mean all other effort must cease until they are addressed.

On topic: The blood situation seems like a non-issue to me. Color blind or not, use your judgement. How many times have you bled or been hit by zombies or gunfire?

Once? Eat a meat. 2-5 times? Eat a few meat. Screen shaking despite your best efforts? Probably time for a blood transfusion.

The fact that you have to rely on the debug monitor to gauge how wounded you are, to me, is perfect evidence of why it needs to be removed. People get spoiled and rely on it to hold their hand through the scary parts.

On topic: The blood situation seems like a non-issue to me. Color blind or not, use your judgement. How many times have you bled or been hit by zombies or gunfire?

Bullshizzle, Are you actually colour blind? Oh didn't think so. Try actually being in said situation before making a comment on it being an issue or not.

• Like 1

Bullshizzle, Are you actually colour blind? Oh didn't think so. Try actually being in said situation before making a comment on it being an issue or not.

Does being color blind prevent you from counting?

good to hear

how about not being able to hear well or see colours properly? that shits a fairly big reminder you need blood

If you have a shit computer the sounds do not actually change. Just saying,

Edited by andwii

If the monitor is going can I please request a colour blind mode. I find it quite difficult to interpret the subtle colour changes in HUD for temp and blood.

• Like 4

I think it will be quite nice so i don't have to have it being in the way of my vision. If you want to keep count on kills in a somewhat effective way (no way of confirming, true) is to simply write it down on a piece of paper, the old rogue-style.

That or just scratch a notch into your computer table with a hunting knife.

Edit: Colorblind mode, yes please.

Edited by johan
  • Like 1

Only downside is the not knowing how much blood you have left part.

And being able to confirm kills.

-MONSTER

Well I mean how do you know you killed that guy unless you see him die or you walk over to his body and deliver a coup de grace.

Im glad its leaving. It always seemed to be blocking my view in one way or another. Glad its going.

My only issue with the debug monitor being removed is the blood situation, OK some of you believe that removing it adds realism and I get that but I have a valid point against losing the blood indication, I'm partially colourblind and slight blood loss does not really look much different to me so I think that some form of blood indicator should stay in the game.

I think this kind of shows the problem with the spartan HUD. But I like a minimal hud. So I say take from everyone the same. No HUD indication at all. Blurry vision for very low blood sure beyond that any attempt at keeping a number to health cheapens the nature of survival.

How terrifying will it be when you don't know how bad off you really are?

Personally instead of color waning I think a simple 'Diagnosis' prompt would suffice. For example check out PRA2's version:

EDIT: Check time stamp @ 5:13

----

So simply just 'diagnosis' yourself and get a message saying; "You have several cuts and scratches, you don't feel well."

Edited by ytman

Removal of the debug monitor probably didn't even require a line of code, rather just a /* */ to comment out some draw calls.

Calling it out as if it's somehow distracting from larger issues or bigger changes is ridiculous.

Yes, we all know there are other issues facing the game. Some of them large.

That doesn't mean all other effort must cease until they are addressed.

Once? Eat a meat. 2-5 times? Eat a few meat. Screen shaking despite your best efforts? Probably time for a blood transfusion.

The fact that you have to rely on the debug monitor to gauge how wounded you are, to me, is perfect evidence of why it needs to be removed. People get spoiled and rely on it to hold their hand through the scary parts.

Im sure it was line of code, how many lines of code is it let females wear camo? Opportunity cost, i'll highlight the log changes in 2.5 for no apparent reason. Game is rife with bugs and he removes the debug monitor, the only real way of judging bp, temp, humanity, whether zombies are spawning properly and wnether that guy i shot 15 times in the faced died r logged.

Im not making out like the change took resources from something else but removing the debug in alpha... seriously? Now when my humanity swings randomly, or when logging causes my BP to vary i just have to act like it was divine intervention. Why remove the proper logs admins have whilst hacking is rife?

Some of his steps in development have been poor, its alpha we know but that is a good reason to keep certain stats viewable until the game is more stable.

• Like 1

this. As if nothing else is broken....

this. As if nothing else is broken....

Good thing 1.7.3 will never be released coz devs don't give a shit about the mod version anymore! phew lucky us

Probably the worse idea I have read yet. As somebody said, I wanted more stats also. Distance ran would be a good one and they just want to get rid of it? In Real life you could confirm a kill and now you won't be able to...GG.Dumbest mod update idea of 2012.

• Like 1