nucleqrwinter@gmail.com

Debug monitor will be gone in 1.7.3 !

This game is supposed to be about realism, and it's not like there's a magical counter in your head that tells you how much blood/how many kills you have. If you wan't to confirm a kill, confirm it yourself.

Realism? There is NO realism in this game. People should get banned for saying "dayz is realistic".

Realism? There is NO realism in this game. People should get banned for saying "dayz is realistic".

Rocket uses the term "authenticity", I'm sure that's what Jackftw meant too! He could have avoided being a dick in his post but then again, so could you. :D

• Like 4

well comparitavely, relatively, to other games like this, its realistic. to what extent was saving private ryan realistic? you know there were cameramen everywhere so its ok to say thats not realistic?

of course dayz is not just a post apocalyptic survival setting but also one with zombies. the zombie part really removes realism, if you mean it in that sense. but as i understood it, in film and literature, zombies represent the unprepared hoardes during a major global catastrophe which leads to the end of the world as we know it. maybe for you they should replace the zombies with straight up AI civilians to keep the realism but i er dunno about that...

Only downside is the not knowing how much blood you have left part.

And being able to confirm kills.

-MONSTER

Yeah, that's another bonus. Want to snipe me? You're going to have to come right over and check I'm dead, or watch me for several minutes afterwards. Just like real life. Fewer stats = fewer stat harvesters => murder is less rewarding and the game becomes more realistic=> more fun

• Like 3

So without the debug monitor how do I know when I have to drop my coyote pack? One more blood fusion/player kill and my backpack with all the stuff inside is gone, because I cannot see when it happens :-/

Better y'all get your bandit/hero skin before 1.73 then...

Yeah, that's another bonus. Want to snipe me? You're going to have to come right over and check I'm dead, or watch me for several minutes afterwards. Just like real life. Fewer stats = fewer stat harvesters => murder is less rewarding and the game becomes more realistic=> more fun

Screw that, I'm not about to get out of my camping spot to go check a corpse that probably has nothing I want! I'll just sit, wait and see. ^_^

At any rate, losing the counter isn't going to make people stop shooting others - it will just make it impossible for people to boast about their stats. If you honestly think that will change how often you die, then you've got another thing coming bub.

-MONSTER

• Like 1

Good move. I always try and stay at 12l so this should be fun playing the guessing game of where the fark is my blood at ! Also bleeding..with the debug you know instantly..without it and in a tight sitch you may not notice for a bit longer that you are actually losing blood. I expect the Time Alive stat to drop once the new patch is introduced.

#

Anything that simulates anything to the slightest degree is, in a sense, realistic. DayZ is realistic. Quake is realistic. Fuck, Pong is realistic.

To argue that DayZ is not 'realistic' just because it's not a perfect simulation of a particular environment is missing the point. Realism is aspirational, and DayZ does a good job.

Getting philosophical about it: Nothing can ever be a perfect simulation because everyone's experience is different. Two people can experience exactly the same situation and come away feeling differently about it. This has as much to do with your state of mind and predisposition to an event, object or person than it does about the scenario.

When you render this into a computer game, yet another layer of variables is introduced. Even if you code something like Sukoku perfectly it's not going to be the same as doing one on paper, even if this is because you can't smell the pencil and paper.

Edited by kander
  • Like 4

Eh it sounds unsure but I'll wait until I see it. I am a believer in solid quantitative data, especially when I'm playing games. It is very easy to glance and say "Oh okay I have that much health left" or "Okay it is that cold (still want temp gauge back tbh)"

Realism is a word I don't like spouting but I think there are only so many variables you should have the player find out/estimate themselves.

Edited by Thasik

Screw that, I'm not about to get out of my camping spot to go check a corpse that probably has nothing I want! I'll just sit, wait and see. ^_^

At any rate, losing the counter isn't going to make people stop shooting others - it will just make it impossible for people to boast about their stats. If you honestly think that will change how often you die, then you've got another thing coming bub.

-MONSTER

Well, quite, but it's going to change the way you play - even a little. And that change is a step towards realism. Not knowing in an instant if I'm a corpse or if I'm playing dead will require you, just like IRL, to look down your sights at me for an extended period after shooting me. This could mean that you miss other targets, or fail to notice yourself being outflanked in the process.

I'm not having a dig - it's better for me, and I'd bet it'd be more fun for you too. Taking away the digital clicker just makes sniping that little bit more challenging.

• Like 1

"The 'DEBUG' monitor is going away as development progresses!? This is so stupid..."

Do people understand that the purpose of a debug monitor is for ensuring certain features are working and that the name clearly implies it was going away at some point...........?

• Like 4

IRL I can see your splattered skull. So I dont have to go close to see if you are dead. Stop talking nonsense about realism. There is none. Even ballistics isnt realistic. I am not even talking about being able to run forever and repairing helis in 30 sec and carrying rotor heads. Come on.

"The 'DEBUG' monitor is going away as development progresses!? This is so stupid..."

Do people understand that the purpose of a debug monitor is for ensuring certain features are working and that the name clearly implies it was going away at some point...........?

If its DEBUG then its for the devs. No ?

Only downside is the not knowing how much blood you have left part.

And being able to confirm kills.

-MONSTER

you confirm ur kills by checking the body for other players right (presumably because you want to know they're actually dead, not for the score)? For zeds, who cares?

The blood thing needs addressing - only because in rl you know when u feel right and I'm sure if u lost half ur blood u'd feel it. Why can't they just add a blood bar instead and replace it with the temp thing since I've never seen it change colour yet since they removed the temp from the debug monitor - does it still even work?

#

Anything that simulates anything to the slightest degree is, in a sense, realistic. DayZ is realistic. Quake is realistic. Fuck, Pong is realistic.

To argue that DayZ is not 'realistic' just because it's not a perfect simulation of a particular environment is missing the point. Realism is aspirational, and DayZ does a good job.

Getting philosophical about it: Nothing can ever be a perfect simulation because everyone's experience is different. Two people can experience exactly the same situation and come away feeling differently about it. This has as much to do with your state of mind and predisposition to an event, object or person than it does about the scenario.

When you render this into a computer game, yet another layer of variables is introduced. Even if you code something like Sukoku perfectly it's not going to be the same as doing one on paper, even if this is because you can't smell the pencil and paper.

#

You can carry rotor heads. Enough said.

• Like 1

you confirm ur kills by checking the body for other players right (presumably because you want to know they're actually dead, not for the score)? For zeds, who cares?

The blood thing needs addressing - only because in rl you know when u feel right and I'm sure if u lost half ur blood u'd feel it. Why can't they just add a blood bar instead and replace it with the temp thing since I've never seen it change colour yet since they removed the temp from the debug monitor - does it still even work?

IRL you check the body? If he has a hole in his head?

• Like 1

They better fix the temperature icon. Broken as shit.

this. I've had way too many OH MY GOD MY TEMPERATURE IS FLASHING moments because the color on it is almost the same throughout the game.

I guess that answers my question then lol

Amazing! This game is better every patch. Last two patches broke the game with graphical glitches and bandit skins that teleport you in the water and make you loose your backpack. As if it wasnt enough, now I wont be able tell how much blood I have. Even IRL I know how good I am feeling. Amazing !

well ignoring the fact none of us "know" how much blood we have (IRL), you can always just use the colour of your screen, nice and colourful? you're healthy, almost black and white? Get blood-bagged!

• Like 2

IRL you check the body? If he has a hole in his head?

I assume so? If people want to confirm kills, isn't that what you do - walk up to the body and kick it?

well ignoring the fact none of us "know" how much blood we have (IRL), you can always just use the colour of your screen, nice and colourful? you're healthy, almost black and white? Get blood-bagged!

No but the simple answer to that which is equally as valid is that you know when ur feeling alright so it can be argued either way. Honestly, I don't think if it stays in as a stat we can bring up or is on the hud or is taken away and we rely on the blood mark and colour in game that it's going to make a big difference.

What would be cool is a thermometer. Get rid of the one on the hud and make us take our own temperatures so we can check if we're ill.

-MONSTER

No but fixing the ammo will and on our private server we just hosted, that is fixed meaning the ammo you log out with in game will be the same when u log back in, i.e. it won't replenish. I expect to see this in 1.7.3 (it seems the priv servers have guys working to fix shit so I expect they also are talking to the devs).

MUWHAHAHAHAHAH - I can't wait for the "I've got no ammo WAA WAA" posts.

Needs to be some compromise between realism & gameplay tbh.

On topic though with bugs like losing backpacks due to humanity, I think it would be a mistake to remove this feature without attending to the bugs first.